Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 440 of 1040

Thread: 2018/19 Squad

  1. #421
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,072
    I reckon he will play right back

  2. #422
    Senior Member StannyCFCJET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Newy
    Posts
    4,345
    Quote Originally Posted by hutcho View Post
    kanta will miss at least half the season with injury
    what??
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��


    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

  3. #423
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    My issue with it is I don't see where he fits in with a fully healthy squad

    Kanta & ugarkovic will be our midfield
    dimi, vargas & the south american will make up the wingers/cam with Roy at the point.

    Until Roy comes back maybe he has some value but after that he seems destined to be a bench player which makes his signing very confusing, I know we were probably a bit empty on viable options to use in that cam/cm spot but surely there was someone else who wasn't gonna cost us the use of a visa spot
    I'm sure this comes up every off season, people not wanting to sign someone because there is already someone in their place. Utter hogwash. Do you see Melbourne city worrying about if they have too much depth in midfield.
    Seriously who actually worries that we might be too strong in one area? Who realises kanta is currently injured and has been umpteen millions times? Who realises ugarkovic has and will receive more offers from overseas? Who realises brown left and we signed ridenton who is cheaper and better?🤯

  4. #424
    aka WLG pv4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjet View Post
    Who realises brown left and we signed ridenton who is cheaper and better?��
    Great point. We have just come off a terrific season and even minor improvements should be applauded, not lampooned.
    OK

  5. #425
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    2,000
    Re Ridenton I said at the time of his signing he had not done much and seemed a rather average signing and not one worthy of taking a visa spot. I watch all games every season and i seen nothing in him screaming out he would be a good acquisition let alone taking up a visa spot.

  6. #426
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    821
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjet View Post
    I'm sure this comes up every off season, people not wanting to sign someone because there is already someone in their place. Utter hogwash. Do you see Melbourne city worrying about if they have too much depth in midfield.
    Seriously who actually worries that we might be too strong in one area? Who realises kanta is currently injured and has been umpteen millions times? Who realises ugarkovic has and will receive more offers from overseas? Who realises brown left and we signed ridenton who is cheaper and better?��
    And i'm not saying we shouldn't have used that spot on a midfielder, not at all. But, nothing from Ridenton showed me that he should be using up a Visa spot. For me Visa players should be starting footballers, he doesn't so much make our midfield too strong because I think he's just an okay player, not bad but not great either, which is fine from a local but not from a visa player.

  7. #427
    Senior Member white city's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    And i'm not saying we shouldn't have used that spot on a midfielder, not at all. But, nothing from Ridenton showed me that he should be using up a Visa spot, he seems to be a decent midfielder and that's it. For me Visa players should be starting footballers and I don't think he's that good unfortunately, he's not bad but just decent
    agree 100%

    has anyone seen ridenton in pre-season has he improved from his efforts at wellington after reuniting with Ernie?

  8. #428
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,623
    Considering how early he was signed, I trust Ernie whos seen him first-hand. If he was signed with a few weeks to go maybe Id have some doubts.

  9. #429
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    And i'm not saying we shouldn't have used that spot on a midfielder, not at all. But, nothing from Ridenton showed me that he should be using up a Visa spot. For me Visa players should be starting footballers, he doesn't so much make our midfield too strong because I think he's just an okay player, not bad but not great either, which is fine from a local but not from a visa player.
    Apart from the marquee, foreign players still need to fit under the cap. If Ridenton came cheap enough then implying he cost us a higher quality foreign player denies the existence of a salary cap.

    For all we know he could be getting paid next to nothing and as such provides excellent value to the squad.

    If he was getting paid a large chunk of salary which would be enough to bring in a high quality foreigner then that's something to worry about.

  10. #430
    Senior Member Jetmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Merewether
    Posts
    4,920
    Well we have one name...off to Yewtoob lads....

    https://www.theherald.com.au/sport/k...lists/#slide=2

  11. #431
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    821
    I thought when we signed Thurgate to a full contract we were left with 3 spots left but the article by the herald is making it sound like we have 4

  12. #432
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    I thought when we signed Thurgate to a full contract we were left with 3 spots left but the article by the herald is making it sound like we have 4
    I could be wrong but I thought we extended Thurgate, meaning this year he stayed as a scholarship player but then moved onto a full time contract for next season. I could be wrong though, just how I interpreted it.

  13. #433
    Senior Member Jeterpool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wait, I know this one
    Posts
    10,229
    Quote Originally Posted by The Camel View Post
    I could be wrong but I thought we extended Thurgate, meaning this year he stayed as a scholarship player but then moved onto a full time contract for next season. I could be wrong though, just how I interpreted it.
    As did I
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

  14. #434
    Senior Member Jeterpool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wait, I know this one
    Posts
    10,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    3 Jason Hoffman – signed until 18/19
    4 Nigel Boogaard – signed until 18/19
    5 Ben Kantarovski – signed until 19/20
    6 Steven Ugarkovic – signed until 18/19
    7 Dimitri Petratos – signed until 18/19
    8 Ronald Vargas – signed until 18/19 (Foreign)
    9 Roy O'Donovan – signed until 18/19 (Foreign)
    13 Ivan Vujica – signed until 19/20
    16 Nick Cowburn – signed until 18/19
    17 Daniel Georgievski – signed until 18/19
    18 John Koutroumbis – signed until 18/19
    19 Kosta Petratos - signed until 18/19
    20 Glen Moss – signed until 18/19
    22 Lachlan Jackson – signed until 18/19
    23 Matthew Ridenton - signed until 19/20 (Foreign)
    24 Joe Champness – signed until 19/20
    28 Patrick Langlois – signed until 18/19* (scholarship contract)
    29 Jake Adelson – signed until 18/19
    32 Angus Thurgate – signed until 21/22* (scholarship contract 18/19)
    44 Nikolai Topor-Stanley – signed until 18/19

    18 squad spots used, 5 available. 2 Visa Spots
    My last update
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

  15. #435
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,788
    Has adelson been seen this pre-season?

  16. #436
    Senior Member Frodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    2,638
    Realistically we are 2 foreign attackers (really need to replace Nabbout somehow), 1 back up keeper and 1 back up midfielder away from having a good crack at 1st place this year?

    Mitch Austin can be that 5th spot if his knee works and he is willing to play for peanuts. But if he is one of the 2 attackers we sign I won't be over the moon.

    We have ACL to play this year, we need a bit more depth than last year.

    We also need to sort out our CBs for next year. We better be starting work now to find players to sign next off season. I don't think our two bad boys have many years left in their legs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

  17. #437
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,788
    I reckon we will also sign an injury replacement for jowic. Kaine shephard from avondale is on trial and I think the injury replacement spot is the main reason he is

  18. #438
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Realistically we are 2 foreign attackers (really need to replace Nabbout somehow), 1 back up keeper and 1 back up midfielder away from having a good crack at 1st place this year?
    We're a long way from having a crack at 1st place.

    City & Victory have strengthened their already strong squads. While we've only signed Ridenton and let a bunch go.

    We're mostly a team of squaddies who over performed and had 2-3 quality players (most gone now) who dragged us into semi's and the GF.

  19. #439
    Senior Member Frodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    2,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    We're a long way from having a crack at 1st place.

    City & Victory have strengthened their already strong squads. While we've only signed Ridenton and let a bunch go.

    We're mostly a team of squaddies who over performed and had 2-3 quality players (most gone now) who dragged us into semi's and the GF.
    We have lost Nabbout and that's about it. Riley scored a great goal but didn't do much else. Pato was a decent player but never got fit and never hit full form.

    So we have lost one key cog, and we have 5 spots available to replace him and the others. We have some stability and know what we need to fill the holes in our roster rather than starting with 6 new players and trying to make things gel quickly. I'm not putting money on us to win, but there's nothing to say we wouldn't be able to challenge with 2 good signings and some decent filler.



    City won't win no matter who they sign. They don't even care if they win, the club is built for another purpose now.

    Victory have signed big names but have also lost big names. There will be a settling in period and they may not all work out.

    Sydney are in the same boat as Victory but also lost a coach.

    Wanderers are starting again.

    Perth have signed 46 new players.

    The rest didn't have as good a squad as us last year.

    Get positive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

  20. #440
    Senior Member Jeterpool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wait, I know this one
    Posts
    10,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    We have lost Nabbout and that's about it. Riley scored a great goal but didn't do much else. Pato was a decent player but never got fit and never hit full form.

    So we have lost one key cog, and we have 5 spots available to replace him and the others. We have some stability and know what we need to fill the holes in our roster rather than starting with 6 new players and trying to make things gel quickly. I'm not putting money on us to win, but there's nothing to say we wouldn't be able to challenge with 2 good signings and some decent filler.



    City won't win no matter who they sign. They don't even care if they win, the club is built for another purpose now.

    Victory have signed big names but have also lost big names. There will be a settling in period and they may not all work out.

    Sydney are in the same boat as Victory but also lost a coach.

    Wanderers are starting again.

    Perth have signed 46 new players.

    The rest didn't have as good a squad as us last year.

    Get positive.
    We also lost Jack Duncan. I feel that's a loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •