Page 26 of 54 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018/19 Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I know this is an impossible question to answer, but how much money do people reckon we have left in the salary cap?

Jair wouldn't be on big money given the leagues he played in and his bargaining position from last season.
    O'Caravan, George, Hoffman, Dimi, Uga, Topor, Boogs would be on better coin than they could be on elsewhere but nothing too silly. Perth would be paying similar wages to us for 1st teamers.
    Vargas is marquee, correct?
    Kanta is outside the cap?
    Jackson, Koutrombis, Cowburn, Champness, Vujica, Ridenton and Moss would be on smaller wages. Given their age.
    The rest would be on scraps.

Looking at Perths Squad, they'd have 2 marquees (Juande and Spiranovic?) but still at least 14 other players who would be on decent coin. (Reddy, Neville, Grant, Davidson, Lowry, Djulbic, Harold, Keogh, Castro*, Franjic, Kilkenny, Santalab, Ferreira and Ikonimidis)

We have 8 guys on decent coin so surely we have a little but of money up our sleeve for our last visa spot?
    O'Donodidivan would be on massive coin. In the jerkstream podcast before last season, Lawrie said he was a marquee player. In the Jerkstream podcast a month or two back, Lawrie said he wasn't.. not like Lawrie to backtrack on things he says.. Regardless, Roy is without a doubt on marquee wages - minimum 500k.

Boogs is on silly coin and we've all known it from the moment we signed him.

I'm not sure how much of Kanta's wage is outside of the cap - I haven't looked thru that loyalty player details enough to know if it's just a percentage of his wage or the whole thing.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    I'm not sure how much of Kanta's wage is outside of the cap - I haven't looked thru that loyalty player details enough to know if it's just a percentage of his wage or the whole thing.
    https://www.a-league.com.au/salary-cap-system

Homegrown Players – A Club can spend up to a collective $200,000 on 4 Australian Players aged 23 or younger that have come through the Club’s youth system. Any payments to such Players above the $200,000 allowance are included in the Club’s Salary Cap;
    Loyalty Players – A Club can spend up to a collective $200,000 across any number of Players that have given 5 or more consecutive seasons of service to the Club. A portion of a Loyalty Player’s contract value is excluded from the Salary Cap based on a progressive scale from 25% (5th continuous season) to 50% (10th continuous season onwards)

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    O'Donodidivan would be on massive coin. In the jerkstream podcast before last season, Lawrie said he was a marquee player. In the Jerkstream podcast a month or two back, Lawrie said he wasn't.. not like Lawrie to backtrack on things he says.. Regardless, Roy is without a doubt on marquee wages - minimum 500k.

Boogs is on silly coin and we've all known it from the moment we signed him.

I saw this article https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...04-h0dm63.html
    Managing the cap

However important, recruitment is still only half the task. Making so many quality players work within a rigid salary cap now of $2.928 million is another job altogether and experience has made Arnold an expert at this delicate balancing act.

Generally, A-League clubs have operated on a "rule of sevens": Seven players earning in the highest bracket ($200,000 or more), seven in the middle tier (between $100,000 and $150,00) and then seven players hovering just above the minimum salary ($61,287). At Sydney FC, Arnold appears to have bucked this trend, largely because of the club's physios and strength and conditioning department.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Maccarone was on $440k marquee wages so maybe Roy is on $450k himself.

Regan was on $180k a season 2 years ago so surely we only pay Boogs and Topor $250k at most (Which means we pay them $300k)

Jair, Dimi, Uga and George would be on $200k each.

Which means we would have about $1.1 million to pay the remaining 15 guys. Minimum wage is $55k so it's likely we have 7 guys on 100k and the last few guys on $55k each.

So not much left if those very factless assumptions are correct.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Pretty sure Boogs was on around 400k when Stubbins signed him
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Pretty sure Boogs was on around 400k when Stubbins signed him
    He signed a new contract in April this year. Surely he is on less money now than when Stubbins was throwing it around trying to attract anyone to come here. Considering when he resigned there was a few guys available who could replace him in that age bracket he would have signed whatever was put in front of him. He wouldn't have been picked up by too many other teams at his age.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    He signed a new contract in April this year. Surely he is on less money now than when Stubbins was throwing it around trying to attract anyone to come here. Considering when he resigned there was a few guys available who could replace him in that age bracket he would have signed whatever was put in front of him. He wouldn't have been picked up by too many other teams at his age.
    Maybe but it wouldn't be on that much less. Had a good season last year and has a young family so doubt he would agree on a massive pay cut plus he is our captain
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Lawrie saying Roy was our marquee was just to have his salary not counted in the cap - not necessarily on marquee money. Therefore in the 300k's.

Boogs was on 320k under stubbins, so you would think he re-signed for alot less.

Think they've thrown jair some money. Lawrie was saying instead of signing a first choice keeper we would sign a backup and use the money to thrown at a higher quality forward.

Quote Originally Posted by lil_masi View Post
    Lawrie saying Roy was our marquee was just to have his salary not counted in the cap - not necessarily on marquee money. Therefore in the 300k's.

Boogs was on 320k under stubbins, so you would think he re-signed for alot less.

Think they've thrown jair some money. Lawrie was saying instead of signing a first choice keeper we would sign a backup and use the money to thrown at a higher quality forward.
    320k?? Ok then Boogs would be on no less then 250k

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    Ok he's signed ex typo whatever. Time to back him 100% hope he is half as good as Nabbout was

Ok he's signed ex typo whatever. Time to back him 100% hope he is half as good as Nabbout was
    Half as good? I am hoping he is twice as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Half as good? I am hoping he is twice as good.
    That would mean better then Dimi was last season. FMD if that happens I'll buy a Austin Shirt

That would mean better then Dimi was last season. FMD if that happens I'll buy a Austin Shirt
    Well yeah... but you are hoping that he is shitter than the guy he is meant to come in for, right? Why would you hope for someone to be shit?

Look, if he can do a "Roy" and wants to put the gypos to the sword..
    Then I am going to support him all the way.

Lets just hope that Ernie can get him playing the way he got Nabbout going.

I said somewhere else we have a great record in Gypo Rehab.
    The reverse trip is nowhere near as successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Look, if he can do a "Roy" and wants to put the gypos to the sword..
    Then I am going to support him all the way.

Lets just hope that Ernie can get him playing the way he got Nabbout going.
    I'll back him if he scores against the scum & runs around the stadia flipping the inbred off.
    Until then, he's on an uphill battle to prove he's not a filthy gypo.

Austin was born in Rochdale, England (which is in Ireland i've been told) and got tricked into living in a caravan by those sneaky Gypos, he is practically O'Donovan incarnate. His hat trick against them this year will wipe away all that filthy Centrelink stench from him and he will win us all the trophies.

Seriously tho, hopefully he is being signed on ability rather than availability. Time will tell Mr Merrick..

Quote Originally Posted by lil_masi View Post

If Roy was on anything less than 500k a season he needs to find a new manager. Especially when you look at where the club was when we signed him - Roy and his manager would have been able to name their price and the Jets would have had few if any options not to pay it.

Now that things have turned around, the club most definitely can seek better deals.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 14-09-2018 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    I'll back him if he scores against the scum & runs around the stadia flipping the inbred off.
    Until then, he's on an uphill battle to prove he's not a filthy gypo.
    This is the only correct and proper take.