Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018/19 Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    Personally I've rated Hoff ever since he came back to newy during the Miller season
    As have I. Even rated him a little pre heart
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Thurgate has signed on a scholarship contract, not a senior, therefore does not take a spot in the 23

Banned
    So this Ridenton bloke

Cant say i have seen a lot of him but is he counted as a foreigner??

Or is he coming on some type of Kiwi allowance thing like Glenn Moss ??

Because if he counted as one of our foreigners that is a pretty big call to use a spot on him

When Bert can find blokes like Vargas and Pato and KFC Hernandez in the past etc it seem on face value a waste on what appears to be a plodder in this Kiwi kid

Hope to god we not just wasting foreigner spots on rank and file plodders like Brown Poljak Bridges etc like we have done in the past because that be not a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    So this Ridenton bloke

Cant say i have seen a lot of him but is he counted as a foreigner??

Or is he coming on some type of Kiwi allowance thing like Glenn Moss ??

Because if he counted as one of our foreigners that is a pretty big call to use a spot on him

When Bert can find blokes like Vargas and Pato and KFC Hernandez in the past etc it seem on face value a waste on what appears to be a plodder in this Kiwi kid

Hope to god we not just wasting foreigner spots on rank and file plodders like Brown Poljak Bridges etc like we have done in the past because that be not a good thing
    Moss has a dual passport, Unless Ridenton has one then he is a visa player
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

love at first sight

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    I agree. Based on what he is likely being paid, and the assumption he might be happy to see out the rest of his career in Newy (I'm just guessing, I don't know the bloke), a player like Hoff is invaluable. He can cover a few positions, rarely gets injured, and over the course of a season chips in with plenty of solid performances. He's not someone you can rely on as a matchwinner, but that's what the marquees and Dimi's of the world are paid bigger $$ for.
    Cant be relied on for much actually

Bloke cost us a Grand Final at the weekend

How you blokes can fap over a bloke who missed an open goal in a GF and then a simple tap in blows my mind

Bloke could have been up there alongside Griff as the man who scored the winning goal in a GF but choked

Quote Originally Posted by lil_masi View Post
    Thurgate has signed on a scholarship contract, not a senior, therefore does not take a spot in the 23
    Thanks. Couldn't recall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Vujica needs to find his early season form and keep it up all season. Wouldve been handy to have him firing for the GF

Ok, pure fantasy at work here: let's say there is a chance we won't keep Vargas and Pato, and Dimi will be snatched by some european club after the world cup for a good transfer fee.
    This would put the club in a position to spend something important for a marquee: we'll never be able to afford an Iniesta... who else could be in the picture in case?

Reckon Lee would look at someone like Honda? What's the Japanese held like in China? Would be good for ACL?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    Reckon Lee would look at someone like Honda? What's the Japanese held like in China? Would be good for ACL?
    History will tell you all you need to know about the regard the Chinese have for the Japanese.

So sick of the Iniesta talk. He is too good to be playing in the HAL, I would be offended to see him playing at such a rubbish level.

Also, if we spent that much money bringing him here it would put the club back a few years financially. I know he would put bums on seats, but not enough to cover his wage. The game isn't big enough in Australia to justify the costs.
    There is a ceiling to the impact a marquee can have on this league. Iniesta is way beyond that ceiling.

Also, instead of the FFA putting money into a marquee fund / war chest, maybe they should spend even a single dollar on advertising the league.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    maybe they should spend even a single dollar on advertising the league.
    Advertising won't do much in terms of quality of the game.
    Good players, on the other hand...

So sick of the Iniesta talk. He is too good to be playing in the HAL, I would be offended to see him playing at such a rubbish level.

Also, if we spent that much money bringing him here it would put the club back a few years financially. I know he would put bums on seats, but not enough to cover his wage. The game isn't big enough in Australia to justify the costs.
    There is a ceiling to the impact a marquee can have on this league. Iniesta is way beyond that ceiling.

Also, instead of the FFA putting money into a marquee fund / war chest, maybe they should spend even a single dollar on advertising the league.
    i don't think many people would even know who he is. every time his name was mentioned it would be followed by "and he used to play with messi and neymar"

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    i don't think many people would even know who he is. every time his name was mentioned it would be followed by "and he used to play with messi and neymar"
    x1000 this

And in this league, the casual isn't impressed by a midfielder. Iniesta is an amazing footballer, but there's nothing flashy about him that will make him feel like that star the a-league wants. It's no suprise that the biggest marquees this league has seen have all been attacking third based players.

A player like Honda seems to suit the league more, wouldn't be as pricey, attacking based player and would definitely bring some extra eyes or attendance to the team he plays for.

Quote Originally Posted by mic22 View Post
    Advertising won't do much in terms of quality of the game.
    Good players, on the other hand...
    Then again, the NRL seems to thrive off over the top advertising and PR. They have a knack of making every match sound like it’s going to be the best match in the history of the sport, and no matter how boring games actually are, they have a way of making that go away and fans are already getting excited about the next huge game.

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    Then again, the NRL seems to thrive off over the top advertising and PR. They have a knack of making every match sound like it’s going to be the best match in the history of the sport, and no matter how boring games actually are, they have a way of making that go away and fans are already getting excited about the next huge game.
    a very good point. some how they have kept state of origin as the pinnacle event in the world in league, despite it being more like the harlem globetrotters v the washington generals for the last 15 years!

If we don't start advertising the league to the wider public we are going to shrink back into a hole again. The numbers are getting worse even though the actual football is improving. (Albeit very slightly but still.) I don't think we need a big name to get long term interest in the sport. We need to convince casual football fans to back a team and start becoming members.

There's no point adding a second tier if we only have the same 100k football fans just migrating between teams or doubling up. We need to attract another 60-100k fans to the fanbase.

Iniesta / Honda will give the league a boost short term but we need to do something to get faith back into the league. Gallop going would be the first step.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

If we don't start advertising the league to the wider public we are going to shrink back into a hole again. The numbers are getting worse even though the actual football is improving. (Albeit very slightly but still.) I don't think we need a big name to get long term interest in the sport. We need to convince casual football fans to back a team and start becoming members.

There's no point adding a second tier if we only have the same 100k football fans just migrating between teams or doubling up. We need to attract another 60-100k fans to the fanbase.

Iniesta / Honda will give the league a boost short term but we need to do something to get faith back into the league. Gallop going would be the first step.
    Stamping out all the divers and having friendly kick off times will go along way to attract casuals for a start IMO. Casuals are not going to come to 5pm or 7pm Sunday games

love at first sight

Banned

**** the wider public??

Seriously why do they matter??

We had a game last weekend that the wider public came to

They killed the atmosphere and wont be back

That is exactly what you get when you chase the wider public

Why you want moire of that??

How about we cater towards the football fans in this country 1st 2nd and 3rd

If the Plastic New Dawners want to come on board in the meantime fine

But unite those in the game already first before trying to go entice some blow ins who dont care for the game

Football fans are broken enough already in this country.

Unite them first
    Last edited by MFKS; 13-05-2018 at 10:02 PM.

I think they are trying to make the wider public/casual/plastic a “football fan”.
    Trying to entice euro snobs, NPL focussed people, families to come and be a member or attend more games.
    It’s not a bad thing. Raising the profile of our league and club is the objective.

Yes, give due respect to those members that have been around since day dot.
    Maybe in the form of a 1,2,3-10% membership discount or something for every year you’ve been a member. Some kind of loyalty discount. (Probably should be 50% after the last few years).

Idk, you can’t say having 20,000 to a Jets home game Vs Wellington Phoenix wouldn’t be awesome. If those blow ins are converted and buy into the game and support the team, the atmosphere would be on par with those foundation years.

Nobody is disagreeing that the “plastics”/blow ins contributed to a lack of atmosphere.
    But what if 5,000 of them turn up first game next season, what if 2,000 of them become members? I dare say our membership numbers will improve next year. At what point does a blow in, become a football fan?