Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 National Premier League thread

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar

2019 National Premier League thread

discussion here

Happy New Years Premier Leaguers! Another huge year, NPL licence renewals, possible changes to the competition, new players coming to the comp and plenty of movement during the offseason.

Some big changes. Realistically, how many teams will there be in the new NPL? I hear that they need 1 Division of 14 or NPL1 and NPL2 (preferred) of 8 each to be even be deemed viable with the FFA as a State assoc. Same thing in Tas ACT and WA. Heaps of work to do, and some ordinary facilities all competiting for grants and development in a small market and small but growing economy. Mergers mergers mergers or old enemies and new friends getting into bed together? Let the rumours begin.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyatoes View Post
    Some big changes. Realistically, how many teams will there be in the new NPL? I hear that they need 1 Division of 14 or NPL1 and NPL2 (preferred) of 8 each to be even be deemed viable with the FFA as a State assoc. Same thing in Tas ACT and WA. Heaps of work to do, and some ordinary facilities all competiting for grants and development in a small market and small but growing economy. Mergers mergers mergers or old enemies and new friends getting into bed together? Let the rumours begin.
    Why is this such an issue??

There is already 11 in NBN so bringing in 3 more from New FM should.not be that big of a problem

What to me is more of a problem is getting some solid pro rel structure from.Zone Leagues to NPL and not the wishy washy BS we currently have in effect

Quote Originally Posted by Onyatoes View Post
    some ordinary facilities all competiting for grants and development in a small market and small but growing economy. Mergers mergers mergers or old enemies and new friends getting into bed together?
    would love to see instead of every club fighting for small bits of the pie, the FFA and NNSW go in and build one central venue for NPL1 teams in Newcastle. Build it at National Park complex, let Magic, Jaffas, Olympic, Jets, Adamstown play there, and if the likes of Cooks Hill/New Lambton etc make it to the top grade they have a ready made 'compliant' venue.
    Play W-League games there, even Jets trials and FFA cup games. It would certainly have a better business case than No#2 getting all that funding to support 1(?) rugby team yeah?
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    would love to see instead of every club fighting for small bits of the pie, the FFA and NNSW go in and build one central venue for NPL1 teams in Newcastle. Build it at National Park complex, let Magic, Jaffas, Olympic, Jets, Adamstown play there, and if the likes of Cooks Hill/New Lambton etc make it to the top grade they have a ready made 'compliant' venue.
    Play W-League games there, even Jets trials and FFA cup games. It would certainly have a better business case than No#2 getting all that funding to support 1(?) rugby team yeah?
    Nice idea but this is too far out of Northerns depth that

Way too far in the deep end

One ground for everyone to use? I haven't a more ridiculous statement since the FFA said let's put Graham Arnold in charge of the socceroos.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    One ground for everyone to use? I haven't a more ridiculous statement since the FFA said let's put Graham Arnold in charge of the socceroos.
    why is it ridiculous?

edit: oh sorry, i just realised who it was that posted the reply.

Its a new year pal, lets not do this.
    Good luck with everything this year.
    Last edited by plague; 09-01-2019 at 12:10 AM.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Why is this such an issue??

There is already 11 in NBN so bringing in 3 more from New FM should.not be that big of a problem

What to me is more of a problem is getting some solid pro rel structure from.Zone Leagues to NPL and not the wishy washy BS we currently have in effect
    The problem is that the 11 that are there now have little by way of balance sheet power and true corporate influence. Magic Park is the pick of the facilities locally and compare that to NPL 2 standard venues in Sydney or Melbourne and NNSW Football has a viability issue on its hands in the eyes of tye FFA and other states. There are already whispers about some clubs aligning to pool resources to build better facilities which has turned into merger discussions and some strange bedfellows suggested. I thought this forum may have heard the same whispers. You cant have an NPL of FFA Cup / National 2nd tier standard with what local NPL clubs bring to the table today. Clubs need to represent a broad cross section of society, in strong demographic locations and show a sustainable model off 10 yr business plans as a minimum. Then they need a ground or plans for a ground that is capable of hosting semi professional teams. Not many could survive if certain benefactors walked away currently and Lake, Hunter and Newcastle Councils have limited scope to match limited budgets for one sport whilst State and Fed coffers spread thin in this guaranteed labour heartland. Shake ups expected to the current comp.

Taking games away from club grounds will be the death of these clubs. They depend too much on this revenue and ground advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Ranger View Post
    Taking games away from club grounds will be the death of these clubs. They depend too much on this revenue and ground advertising.
    My thought was that whoever was the home team each match would earn revenue from gate/food/advertising.

The numerous clubs would pay rent on the facility but with it being 5 or 6 clubs the 'rent' would be divided appropriately. That way clubs dont all need to fund ground rent/lighting/groundskeeping individually just to try and make a dollar once a fortnight.

I can think of a thousand minor reasons why it couldn't work, but I'd bet pretty much all of them could be overcome with the right people behind it.
    Look its no revolutionary idea, the AFL uses it. Would just be interesting to see if clubs were willing to think outside the box, rather than just continually all have 'borderline' acceptable facilities and fight each other to get ahead.

My thought was that whoever was the home team each match would earn revenue from gate/food/advertising.

The numerous clubs would pay rent on the facility but with it being 5 or 6 clubs the 'rent' would be divided appropriately. That way clubs dont all need to fund ground rent/lighting/groundskeeping individually just to try and make a dollar once a fortnight.

I can think of a thousand minor reasons why it couldn't work, but I'd bet pretty much all of them could be overcome with the right people behind it.
    Look its no revolutionary idea, the AFL uses it. Would just be interesting to see if clubs were willing to think outside the box, rather than just continually all have 'borderline' acceptable facilities and fight each other to get ahead.
    Our competition needs promotion and relegation so NNSW should be doing all we can to get at least 5 clubs upto scratch so we can make 2 comps. This is the only thing that will make the competition better. Having a 14 or even an 11 team comp with the same 3 or so weak teams in it each year will do no one any good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontknowmuch View Post
    Our competition needs promotion and relegation so NNSW should be doing all we can to get at least 5 clubs upto scratch so we can make 2 comps. This is the only thing that will make the competition better. Having a 14 or even an 11 team comp with the same 3 or so weak teams in it each year will do no one any good.
    NNSW will not make the big call and dispose of the year in year out poor performing clubs, once they do the comp would be far more attractive and even.

First trial games this weekend
    Magic/Cookers
    Edgy/Bankstown
    Olympic/Southy

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlack View Post
    First trial games this weekend
    Magic/Cookers
    Edgy/Bankstown
    Olympic/Southy
    Toronto Awaba v Weston ( Wed night )

What did the battle of the blues end up ? 10-0 again ?

Quote Originally Posted by GO AWAY View Post
    What did the battle of the blues end up ? 10-0 again ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    6-2 Firsts v Firsts (Up 1-0 after 20, 2-1 down at HT, 2-2 early into the second half, ran out of legs in the last 15)
    2-1 Reserves v 20s (1-0 HT, conceded early into second half, grabbed a goal shortly after conceding, couldn’t grab the equaliser)
    3-1 3rds v 18s (3-0 HT, conceded 2 inside the first 5, came out better second half and grabbed a goal)
    CCB v HZ
    6-2 (1st vs 1st)
    2-1 (20's vs Res)
    3-1 (18's vs 3rds)

NNSWF have advised NPL Grand Final won’t be at MAC Jones stadium this year. Sighted no support from clubs as reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
    NNSWF have advised NPL Grand Final won’t be at MAC Jones stadium this year. Sighted no support from clubs as reason.
    That's a shame hopefully the 1st Grade team playing in the grand final that finished higher on the ladder gets to host it

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
    Probably a good business move.
    It’s a shame though. Would be a great occasion for many of the 18/20s players and I dare say first graders. Unfortunately, it just doesn’t have the same atmosphere or support.