Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 National Premier League thread

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    which is gonna be a problem for a couple of non-NPL clubs who are embracing and doing really well with SAP.
    With no NPL to aspire to, theres def gonna be one club who are gonna lose a lot of their SAP kids to NPL teams once they are available, and im not sure what the club can do about it (other than get into NPL by then but that aint happening).
    You might want to check out Brighton Soccer Club in Victoria. They have always had very strong juniors since long before any of us were born - and yet not being in the top flight at seniors their talent has gone to South Melbourne, Melbourne Knights.. and other big clubs for as long as I can remember.

The NPL / VPL clubs might have the money and all but they also can have a factory mentality and kids can get left behind rather than given the time they need to develop.

Predictions for this weekend?
    Same Semi Finals as last yr.
    Magic 1 Maitland 2
    Edgy 2 Jaffas 2

Josh Rufo new Lakes coach?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Yep, a Jaffas youth coach was there...but not looking at any New Lambton players.
    Your use of "poach" suggests you disagree with NPL clubs trying to identify and improve the local kids. Do you think it not right to identify talent and bring it to the next level? Many lower tier clubs are happy to push their stronger players up to the next level to improve for the benefit of the kids. Many are not and are keen to hang on to their better players for the benefit of their club. The NEWFM team I currently coach has had multiple visits from NPL clubs scouting. I welcome it and help if I can. If one of my players can go up to the next level, I'm pleased. It's about developing the players. Do you think NEWFM clubs aren't out looking at community A grade teams? Are they "poaching"? If you are suggesting it is inappropriate , then you are losing sight of the objective which is to produce better players.All the NPL clubs do it, and good on them! It would be disappointing if they didn't.
    Well it would be progressive if they get better coaches and a better club experience but evidence shows kids from NL1 go up, with loads of promises, get chewed up and then come back $1500 poorer. Everyone knows that the local NPL is focussed on 3 teams at each club. Seniors 18s and up. I have seen NPL 13s and 14s forced to pay Regos in October so the retired A League "star" can be paid and after a year of minimal game time, they receive a pat on the back at a hastily convened presentation where they don't even get a trophy. Some of the "coaches" are just Dad's, transformed into Coaches resplendid in a fancy tracksuit but know as much about football as they do about marbles. Sure, little Johnny should go to a good club and play. But don't go and sit on a bench or get flicked at Year 2 as an ex Jet kid comes knocking. Or even worse, go to a club and get pumped week to week or even worse become disenchanted and leave the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Onyatoes View Post
    Well it would be progressive if they get better coaches and a better club experience but evidence shows kids from NL1 go up, with loads of promises, get chewed up and then come back $1500 poorer. Everyone knows that the local NPL is focussed on 3 teams at each club. Seniors 18s and up. I have seen NPL 13s and 14s forced to pay Regos in October so the retired A League "star" can be paid and after a year of minimal game time, they receive a pat on the back at a hastily convened presentation where they don't even get a trophy. Some of the "coaches" are just Dad's, transformed into Coaches resplendid in a fancy tracksuit but know as much about football as they do about marbles. Sure, little Johnny should go to a good club and play. But don't go and sit on a bench or get flicked at Year 2 as an ex Jet kid comes knocking. Or even worse, go to a club and get pumped week to week or even worse become disenchanted and leave the game.
    Kids go up and down depending on ability and development. I've seen NL1 kids go up and succeed and others fail. I've seen NPL kids fall by the wayside after a year or two, and some leap ahead an age group. I have also seen what you have described as a NL1 kid fails to step up to the next level (and it is a step up) but other have excelled. Kids go in and out of the Jets. That is football. Some develop late, some never fulfil the promise they showed. To say that the evidence shows kids from "NL1 go up, with loads of promises, get chewed up and then come back" is a very broad brush statement, and as I have seen, it is not always the case.
    $1500: not at my sons's NPL club. I think that clubs could improve the understanding of parents by providing itemised accounts, but most don't.
    Do you have any idea how much it costs to put a team on the park in NPL? Consider some of these costs:
    Ground hire in season
    Ground hire out of season (more expensive)
    Referees fees
    Player registration
    insurance,
    physio costs each week
    clothing
    electricity
    equipment
    strips

Having been on a NEWFM club committee I know that the cost there, without the club making a cent, exceeds $800. NPL is more expensive.

Paying rego in October to pay a an ex A league star. Not in my experience either.

I'd love to know what club you are referring to. I'm guessing that you had a bad experience there? You shouldn't assume what happened to you happens to all and at all clubs.

Minimal game time. Again, I can't speak for all clubs but can say that game time has been spread cross my son's team for 4 years. Everyone on that team got ample game time. Yep, some got more than others and it is usually the midfield players that sub off and on. A reflection of the fatigue levels in midfield rather than ability of the kids. The NPL coaches I know work on the premise that "I picked them so I will play them". Sure, some don't. If you are not satisfied, talk to the TD and if still not happy, get your money back and go elsewhere. Rego closes in June so there is ample time to change.

Coaches that are dads. To coach in NPL you must have a C licence. Dad or not, the coach must be qualified. It's my view that a father and son should not be with the same team. Some clubs agree with that and some don't. There are good coaches and bad coaches in the NPL. Whether or not they are a player's father is not the deciding factor. Also, some dad's are harder on their own kids than others. I think you are taking a very broad and unfair brush to this.

Club experience. I think the NEWFM clubs do it better than the NPL clubs. I agree that the focus is on the seniors and that some clubs could do far better. All I can suggest is get on the club committee and make them change. It can be done.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Onya,
    I can attest to what Hunter has said.
    Some clubs, not all.

I was an average player growing up, missed out on SYL trials, it was the year they canned Newcastle United/breakers youth trials. So all kids that had been promised a Position there dropped back.
    Anyway. My clubs interdistrict (Zone league) equivalent gave me game time in seniors and got me a trial at an NPL/NBN club.
    100% was just there to give them money. My old man was exactly the same as what you’re saying, no trophy, mediocre coach that didn’t seem to care, club committee treated any concerns or questions as well beneath them. From my perspective I enjoyed that extra professionalism and playing on top surfaces and I saw what the next step looks like.
    In hindsight it’s clear they didn’t care at all about our development through.
    Things happened that season and they were in NBN/NPL no more.

Their youth coach who had played me up a grade a few times throughout the year got me a trial at his new club where he was head coach.
    Completely different experience.
    I have nothing but excellent things to say about my experience, the committee support and encouragement of youth, the professionalism everything. The comraderie from first grade down to 19s and 17s and later lower ages was there, everyone supported everyone and strangely enough it felt like we were the shining lights from the club. This club had very good youth record at the time and by the end of my time there (work commitments) had played many finals and grand finals and have nothing but kind words to say about everyone involved (now not involved).

There are clubs that genuinely care. Don’t let one bad experience tarnish it.
    Last edited by Bremsstrahlung; 28-08-2019 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by magician View Post
    Predictions for this weekend?
    Same Semi Finals as last yr.
    Magic 1 Maitland 2
    Edgy 2 Jaffas 2
    Magic 3-2 Maitland
    Edgy 1-2 Jaffas

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    I'd love to know what club you are referring to. I'm guessing that you had a bad experience there? You shouldn't assume what happened to you happens to all and at all clubs.
    I think it's well known that Charlestown has done this a few times in the past.

Banned
    The Newcastle Herald was told new club membership applications at Charlestown fc, including about 70 from a group supporting coach David Tanchevski, were rejected at the meeting. The group behind Tanchevski was exploring ways to overturn the decision.

Memberships needed to be accepted at the meeting for those applicants to have voting rights at the September 17 AGM, where a new group hopes to lead the club and sack Tanchevski. It has sounded out at least three potential replacements. Charlestown secretary Roger Steel confirmed Crossley had then stepped aside.
    Thats a fair stoush. geez

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Police View Post
    Thats a fair stoush. geez
    That's poor form, members have joined up for the committee to reject all membership because they don't want to give up their power is fascism at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    That's poor form, members have joined up for the committee to reject all membership because they don't want to give up their power is fascism at best.
    I'd be more concerned about the 70 just wanting to join as a voting block at the last minute. Sounds like a reasonable decision to stop their applications. It's a vote by members, not outsiders. I assume those on the committee had been there for a while and not joined purely on the basis of voting on one issue.
    Accusations of fascism is not an argument but something the Left use to justify a lack of factual evidence.

Lets be serious, what does Tanch track record look like over the years, especially given he has spent in excess of $1.3 million of Jaffas/Azzurri money during his time.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Ranger View Post
    I'd be more concerned about the 70 just wanting to join as a voting block at the last minute. Sounds like a reasonable decision to stop their applications. It's a vote by members, not outsiders. I assume those on the committee had been there for a while and not joined purely on the basis of voting on one issue.
    Accusations of fascism is not an argument but something the Left use to justify a lack of factual evidence.
    You're assuming that these people are just randoms and not long term supporters and past members.

Banned
    Bizarre game at Edgy today

0-0 at HT

Jaffas go 1-0 up a few mins into second half
    Probably shading it

Edgy not really doing that much
    Cracking goal out of nowhere some calamitous defending and it 4-1 Edgy

Tie looks over despite Jaffas looking the better side for the first 60 mins

Chris Gallagher is managing the Magic 1st team today. He’s a youth TD I think. Where is RZ???

Magic tactics v. poor. Big boots into the box with a striker under 6ft.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Bizarre game at Edgy today

0-0 at HT

Jaffas go 1-0 up a few mins into second half
    Probably shading it

Edgy not really doing that much
    Cracking goal out of nowhere some calamitous defending and it 4-1 Edgy

Tie looks over despite Jaffas looking the better side for the first 60 mins
    Time for the Jaffa’s to start spending

Quote Originally Posted by YewYew View Post
    Chris Gallagher is managing the Magic 1st team today. He’s a youth TD I think. Where is RZ???
    RZ was in charge tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by YewYew View Post
    What game were you watching Yew Yew. Watching the game on bartv and Zadkovich was on the sideline managing Broadmeadow ??

Quote Originally Posted by mervan View Post
    Time for the Jaffa’s to start spending
    Heard the have already added Scott Pettit, Mitch Oxborrow and Alex Read for next season