Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 179

Thread: 2019 Women's Premier League

  1. #1
    космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1991
    Posts
    456,915,845

    2019 Women's Premier League

    discussion here

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    11
    Very quiet in here.

    Two rounds in and plenty of goals in all grades. Seems to be a big gap from top to bottom in the grades.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    519
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Very quiet in here.

    Two rounds in and plenty of goals in all grades. Seems to be a big gap from top to bottom in the grades.
    Did WPL manage to get to play today?

    Not surprised that FMNC aren't doing well, very young team and some players playing both games.

    Adamstown will also go poor this year, some of their better players have left, they cling on to long term players that aren't deserving of a starting 1st grade spot and a couple players that happen to get injured every year.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    11
    FMNC 0 New Lambton 7
    Buds 2 South Wallsend 4
    Other 2 games washouts.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lance Yorke Field
    Posts
    1,687
    Looks like being

    Warners Bay
    Merewether
    New Lambton

    Day Light

    Wallsend
    Sth Wallsend

    Daylight

    Adamstown

    Daylight

    Thornton
    Mid North Coast

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    15
    Honestly looks to be a 4 horse race. Maybe Wallsend could be there or there abouts with some good results throughout the year. Still, must be a record number of w league players past and present in the competition which can only be good for the league? Hopefully girls from the bottom 4 sides donít loose too much confidence from there encounters with the top 4 sides

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    11
    Shaping up to be a great season. Getting a decent amount of media attention too which is good for for the league.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    519
    Saw the New Lambton coach complaining about their game against Adamstown being played on #2

    Firstly why was it played on #2 and not #1?

    Secondly why has the club dramatically reduced the size of #2 they have decreased the width by about 10m and decreased the length by about 5m. Poor field and poor form for the club to make such a small field

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    4
    The field has been shifted toward the Clubhouse to avoid bad drainage in the corner near the drain. Council moved it as there was lots of room further across, and it is exactly the same size as always, just shifted. Hopefully that keeps it dry during winter as it is usually rained out for half the season. Nothing to do with the Club. It's a Council Field that gets marked once at the start of the season. The Club just remarks it.

    Games were on Number 2 because Number one was used by the NPL Teams all weekend.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by flubber View Post
    The field has been shifted toward the Clubhouse to avoid bad drainage in the corner near the drain. Council moved it as there was lots of room further across, and it is exactly the same size as always, just shifted. Hopefully that keeps it dry during winter as it is usually rained out for half the season. Nothing to do with the Club. It's a Council Field that gets marked once at the start of the season. The Club just remarks it.

    Games were on Number 2 because Number one was used by the NPL Teams all weekend.
    But in all seriousness why is he complaining all the grounds other than Adamstown 1 are pathetic in that competition. Itís a supposed Premier League competition played on community grounds. I heard unconfirmed that the Thornton match got called off because the cricket pitch area was too hard. Seriously!!! As for the competition itself three clubs are just making up the numbers. Hasnít the New Lambton club brought players from other clubs that are now struggling. How can they be paid its unsustainable.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    519
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
    But in all seriousness why is he complaining all the grounds other than Adamstown 1 are pathetic in that competition. Itís a supposed Premier League competition played on community grounds. I heard unconfirmed that the Thornton match got called off because the cricket pitch area was too hard. Seriously!!! As for the competition itself three clubs are just making up the numbers. Hasnít the New Lambton club brought players from other clubs that are now struggling. How can they be paid its unsustainable.
    Well New Lambton play at Alder which is a decent ground and some of their games are also played at Arthur Edden. Mid North's ground is good and John St Oval is fine at the start of the season. But I do get your point, though for whatever reason the club has decided to make Adamstown #2 much smaller, at least others are of a decent size. Though I do get your point, Myamblah and Walker Field are terrible as well.

    I know the Thornton match got called off in NewFM this week because the cricket pitch was unsafe to play on, it's a joke and Thornton should look at moving. Don Lawrence would be better.

    Not sure about New Lambton buying players from other clubs, the two clubs that are struggling is Thornton (no players from there at New Lambton) and Adamstown (Laura Allen went there but she didn't want out because of money). New Lambton do pay players as do Warners Bay and I believe South Wallsend. Adamstown at the very least give all 1st grade players free rego.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    519
    Quote Originally Posted by flubber View Post
    The field has been shifted toward the Clubhouse to avoid bad drainage in the corner near the drain. Council moved it as there was lots of room further across, and it is exactly the same size as always, just shifted. Hopefully that keeps it dry during winter as it is usually rained out for half the season. Nothing to do with the Club. It's a Council Field that gets marked once at the start of the season. The Club just remarks it.

    Games were on Number 2 because Number one was used by the NPL Teams all weekend.
    One would wonder why the council didn't move it based on bad drainage in the corner that has been like that for a couple seasons. The council isn't concerned about that stuff while they initially marked it to say the club had nothing to do with it and didn't discuss it with the council is a furphy and goes against how Newcastle Council operates. That is to say they don't care about that stuff.
    The ground is most certainly smaller than in previously both length and width, even if it has been shifted across.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    421
    Does the WPL have a player points system in place to prevent team loading?

    If not, it needs it. I can understand the desire for players wanting to move in order to try and win the league but is is detrimental to the entire competition seeing the best players from the lower teams moving to the top teams every season. This just results in teams being stacked as they currently are and a completely lopsided competition.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lance Yorke Field
    Posts
    1,687
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    Well New Lambton play at Alder which is a decent ground and some of their games are also played at Arthur Edden. Mid North's ground is good and John St Oval is fine at the start of the season. But I do get your point, though for whatever reason the club has decided to make Adamstown #2 much smaller, at least others are of a decent size. Though I do get your point, Myamblah and Walker Field are terrible as well.

    I know the Thornton match got called off in NewFM this week because the cricket pitch was unsafe to play on, it's a joke and Thornton should look at moving. Don Lawrence would be better.
    Thornton Cricket pitch doesn't surprise me, we played on it the weekend before and the field was great other than the cricket pitch which was VERY wet and slippery. Not surprised that once it dried out it went like concrete. Got no idea how they resolve that issue either.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    Does the WPL have a player points system in place to prevent team loading?

    If not, it needs it. I can understand the desire for players wanting to move in order to try and win the league but is is detrimental to the entire competition seeing the best players from the lower teams moving to the top teams every season. This just results in teams being stacked as they currently are and a completely lopsided competition.
    Couple of years ago they introduced a limit on current W-League players, restricting each club to 3. As far as I know that is the only rule. It is difficult for the lower teams trying to attract players but of the players that switched clubs this year I do believe it was more about what the calibre of the coach and being in a competitive side than anything to do with money, if they do happen to get paid its virtually nothing.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
    But in all seriousness why is he complaining all the grounds other than Adamstown 1 are pathetic in that competition. It’s a supposed Premier League competition played on community grounds. I heard unconfirmed that the Thornton match got called off because the cricket pitch area was too hard. Seriously!!! As for the competition itself three clubs are just making up the numbers. Hasn’t the New Lambton club brought players from other clubs that are now struggling. How can they be paid its unsustainable.
    Think your confused - Unsustainable = NPL, costs and spend on WPL a fraction of the $150K+ budgets of the big NPL clubs.
    Seriously any female being paid is getting virtually nothing and way below what they deserve but good on them for finally being able to earn some pocket money.

    I will agree on this, Merewether & Southy home grounds are terrible.

  17. #17
    I'd agree with that statement regarding coaches. South Wallsend is a good example of this.

    The Club culture and how women's football is treated and developed is another aspect for sure.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    519
    Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    Thornton Cricket pitch doesn't surprise me, we played on it the weekend before and the field was great other than the cricket pitch which was VERY wet and slippery. Not surprised that once it dried out it went like concrete. Got no idea how they resolve that issue either.
    Ideally tell cricket to **** off rip it out and returf the entire pitch.

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    4
    I wouldn't fret about Adamstown Number 2 too much. There has been one round of WPL played there in 12 years and no more scheduled in the foreseeable future. Every other game since the WPL started has been played on Adamstown Number 1 or LMRFF, so I don't see that it's on the cards to make it a regular thing to play out of Number 2. I would hazard a guess that it's more what games were scheduled on that date and what grounds were available, rather than a desire to play on that ground.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    Looks like being

    Warners Bay
    Merewether
    New Lambton

    Day Light

    Wallsend
    Sth Wallsend

    Daylight

    Adamstown

    Daylight

    Thornton
    Mid North Coast
    Great to see this comp no where near as predictable as last couple of seasons approaching the half way mark. South Wallsend easily have the best side on paper and should be clear favourites to figure in the trophies.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •