Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NPL Youth

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    interesting. cheers.
    would have thought the 'elite' of these age groups (even taking into account the 12 month gap) would be far more talented.
    hopefully thats more of a credit to the NPL clubs than a critisism of the Jets.

Anyone know if the Jets reassess their teams every year? as in do the NPL kids have a realistic chance of making the Jets each year if they stand out or is it a bit of a closed shop?
    3 of the last years Lambton 13's are in the Jets 14's this year - playing in the 15's npl -

There’s plenty that have been asked to play with jets but prefer to stick with there clubs for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Police View Post
    3 of the last years Lambton 13's are in the Jets 14's this year - playing in the 15's npl -
    cheers. good to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

There’s plenty that have been asked to play with jets but prefer to stick with there clubs for some reason
    yeah the limited amount ive watched junior Jets this year its stood out to me how 'similar' all the players are. this looks good when you are playing at a high tempo on a slick surface and you boss possession. can only imagine out and out 'defenders' dont get the same opportunities as the skill kids at the early ages. Prob only later in their development when they start facing bigger stronger kids that a lumbering oaf of a defender (yes im being a bit silly but you get what i mean) is probably more of a necessity.

it just made me think, as the more successful of the 2 young kids that the Jets have brought in (from different youth clubs of course) in Champness and Jackson seem very very different players. There are a lot of Champness' in the Jets kids, but no Jacksons. Yet by the time they get to the jets they are both considered valuable.

would love to know at what age Jackson got into the youth setup.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Banned
    yeah the limited amount ive watched junior Jets this year its stood out to me how 'similar' all the players are. this looks good when you are playing at a high tempo on a slick surface and you boss possession. can only imagine out and out 'defenders' dont get the same opportunities as the skill kids at the early ages. Prob only later in their development when they start facing bigger stronger kids that a lumbering oaf of a defender (yes im being a bit silly but you get what i mean) is probably more of a necessity.

it just made me think, as the more successful of the 2 young kids that the Jets have brought in (from different youth clubs of course) in Champness and Jackson seem very very different players. There are a lot of Champness' in the Jets kids, but no Jacksons. Yet by the time they get to the jets they are both considered valuable.

would love to know at what age Jackson got into the youth setup.
    Saw some academy stuff

Former Buderim junior Lachlan Jackson, who spent time in Coast representative teams as a junior, as well as at the Queensland Academy of Sport and three years in the Roar system, said he was hoping to find more opportunities at the Jets, after he found himself stuck behind a plethora of centre-backs in Brisbane.

interesting. cheers.
    would have thought the 'elite' of these age groups (even taking into account the 12 month gap) would be far more talented.
    hopefully thats more of a credit to the NPL clubs than a critisism of the Jets.

Anyone know if the Jets reassess their teams every year? as in do the NPL kids have a realistic chance of making the Jets each year if they stand out or is it a bit of a closed shop?
    In theory yes. In practice I have my doubts. I'll give you an example:
    There was a kid in my son's NPL side in 2017 that is now playing in his second season with the Mariner's youth programme in the Sydney NPL. He has been selected to train / trial with the u16 national side. He didn't make it.

While in the Newcastle NPL side, his club side came 3rd or 4th but won the grand final. No one from the Jets set up spoke to him and apart from games against the Jets I don't recall ever seeing a Jets rep at any game (admittedly I may simply have not seen them). The Mariners had a coach at at least 3 of my son's games and spoke to him at length.

In my view, the kid was a substantially better player than the kid the Jets had in the same role.

Interestingly, the only changes that occurred to the Jets side that year were two kids that were in the side that topped the table.

The general consensus amongst the parents I know at various clubs is that the Jets take a look at the top of the table side late in the year to see if anyone is better than what they have and that is about it. I hope it is changing under the Jets stewardship from what NNSW were doing when they ran it.

Will my son's mate make it to A League? Possibly. He is apparently highly thought of at the Mariners, but at 15 who knows what could happen in the next 2 years.

Jets Youth are a bit like the Aussie cricket team: harder to get out than get in
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Interestingly, the only changes that occurred to the Jets side that year were two kids that were in the side that topped the table.
    The general consensus amongst the parents I know at various clubs is that the Jets take a look at the top of the table side late in the year to see if anyone is better than what they have and that is about it. I hope it is changing under the Jets stewardship from what NNSW were doing when they ran it.

Jets Youth are a bit like the Aussie cricket team: harder to get out than get in
    Makes sense. The 3 players from Jaffs were in a team that finished top.

If there were too many changes it would make the Jets recruitment look bad. They may stick with the choices and not want to lose the investment in time they already have.

I still believe there may be some families that are close knit to the organisation and that may assist the odd player with similar ability or if the team is weak in that position.

And dont forget dollars. Highest around for the age group that Ive heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Police View Post
    And dont forget dollars. Highest around for the age group that Ive heard.
    Is that compared against the other A league juniors or against the other NPL teams here in Newcastle?

I'm just interested what the prices are at that level.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    Is that compared against the other A league juniors or against the other NPL teams here in Newcastle?

I'm just interested what the prices are at that level.
    Nah, just the local area. Ive heard that the younger EJ are over $2k. You'd think Sydney academies would be more but Ive not done the research.

I see Olympic youth defeated Mid North Coast by a combined 38 goals scored to one conceded across the 4 youth grades.

MNC used to be competitive but what the hell has happened?

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgler View Post
    I see Olympic youth defeated Mid North Coast by a combined 38 goals scored to one conceded across the 4 youth grades.

MNC seem to be competitive in some of the grades. I think it’s more a testament of how good the Olympic Youth set-up is.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgler View Post

Word is that a significant number of kids pulled the pin this years as a result of the travelling. Even worse for the FNC kids but they seem to be managing better. Maybe there are some pointers FNC can give MNC.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    MNC seem to be competitive in some of the grades. I think it’s more a testament of how good the Olympic Youth set-up is.
    So what does Hamilton do that others aren't?
    Why does everyone see them as the benchmark?

We obviously discuss it amongst our parents when we come up against them in 10s. But its across the board

Quote Originally Posted by Retired01 View Post
    So what does Hamilton do that others aren't?
    Why does everyone see them as the benchmark?

We obviously discuss it amongst our parents when we come up against them in 10s. But its across the board
    I think initially it is a larger player pool to select from, after that the club has a good reputation for coaching and supporting their youth players.

You have to think, up until recently Hamilton would get a lot of the Newcastle (or NNSWF) SAP team players coming to them in Under 13 NPL. On top of that they also had players from some of the Newcastle clubs that don't have NPL teams (Cooks Hill, Merewether, Mayfield, Stockton, etc, etc) trying out for them as well.

These days with the introduction of the Premier club SAP program, these players will be trialling with them from 8 years of age.

From my own circumstances I was recommended by multiple friends who have or had kids in SAP, NPL, NL1 programs to have my son try out for multiple teams just in case. But when club names were suggested Olympic was always mentioned, the other frequent clubs mentioned were Jaffas, Edgeworth & sometimes Magic (Very polarising opinions on Magic, it was absolutely love or hate them).

As it worked out Olympic and Jaffas held their trials on the same day so I had to choose early, basically came down to the fact Jaffas were closer to home.

Hamilton 13s and 14s and 15s are top. 16s are third. However it is only round 8 of 26.
    Hamilton have, over the years, always recruited well out of Newcastle Football's SAP/NET programmes often getting the lion's share of kids and they appear (from the outside) to be a well run and well coached club. No idea on how things are internally, but Hamilton's results over the years make them a club of choice for a lot of kids.

They also have a great canteen!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Hamilton 13s and 14s and 15s are top. 16s are third. However it is only round 8 of 26.
    Hamilton have, over the years, always recruited well out of Newcastle Football's SAP/NET programmes often getting the lion's share of kids and they appear (from the outside) to be a well run and well coached club. No idea on how things are internally, but Hamilton's results over the years make them a club of choice for a lot of kids.

They also have a great canteen!!
    Hamilton and Jaffas get 90% of the NF Net kids...

Hamilton have provided the Newcastle NET with training equipment every year in exchange for preference. Also as of 2019 the NET TD now runs the SAP of Jaffas and Olympic.

Magic holds their own, when the NET is dissolved next year Olympic will have to develop their own 12s... and currently in the SAP over the last 2 year's no Olympic SAP has beaten a Magic SAP.

In the end toast the players that make it from SAP to NPL 16's with the one club. MAGIC has one of the highest retention rates for player registrations carrying over at 83% so it must not be that bad... some of the "top" clubs last season only kept 3/16 players in some grades.

Quote Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
    Also as of 2019 the NET TD now runs the SAP of Jaffas and Olympic.
    yeah this was a weird one when i heard it.
    because when we were sold on SAP, it was made clear that this program was to be run by the individual clubs, and away from the NET program.
    to have them all getting back under the same umbrella with the same dude seems to be against the intentions of NNSW.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
    Hamilton and Jaffas get 90% of the NF Net kids...

Hamilton have provided the Newcastle NET with training equipment every year in exchange for preference. Also as of 2019 the NET TD now runs the SAP of Jaffas and Olympic.

Magic holds their own, when the NET is dissolved next year Olympic will have to develop their own 12s... and currently in the SAP over the last 2 year's no Olympic SAP has beaten a Magic SAP.

In the end toast the players that make it from SAP to NPL 16's with the one club. MAGIC has one of the highest retention rates for player registrations carrying over at 83% so it must not be that bad... some of the "top" clubs last season only kept 3/16 players in some grades.
    Beaten? Not to burst your bubble but there are no results.

At this age isn’t it about developing the players and not the score?

Games could be “won” at these age groups by playing long balls constantly down the middle to an “offside” player.

because when we were sold on SAP, it was made clear that this program was to be run by the individual clubs, and away from the NET program.
    to have them all getting back under the same umbrella with the same dude seems to be against the intentions of NNSW.
    The way it was explained to parents was twofold.

1- The need for ground space for training and games.

2- Leveraging off Newcastle Football’s TD’s experience in early player development.

As I understand it, Newcastle Football reached out to other clubs from the Newcastle association extending the same offer as they did to Olympic and Jaffa’s but were declined.

Well Northern didn't want NET at all it was a NF initiative