Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Zone Premier League thread

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyZigga View Post
    Not that is actually concerns anyone who has posted here, however the decision to forfeit the cup fixture was taken after discussion with both Westlakes and NNSW.
    While it is unfortunate, members of the comittee agreed it was the best option for the club as a whole to proceed with our trials vs Uni (ZL1 FYI) this weekend.

Coaches spend months planning preseason, shift workers have to alter rosters to play trials, and committees/sponsors spend time organising club functions, all to hopefully havs a successful season.
    It is ridiculous to think that all these things can be changed at the drop of a hat so close to the comp starting. Our decision sees 40 odd blokes playing 3 grades in their last hitout before the season, an opportunity that would be lost if we had to play the cup fixture.
    Westlakes also have a trial this weekend, and they were also trying to swing things to avoid having to cancel it. Our preference was to play midweek, ideally tonight, but as we cannot host and NNSW decided Westlakes would therefore host, we had no option after Westlakes said they could not host until this weekend.

It's unfortunate that this was the decision we took, but now both clubs will be playing 6 games of football instead of potentially just one. Neither side is without a game, good luck to Westlakes in the next round.

If anyone else feels like the decision has affected them and wishes to discuss it further, please give me a call on 0421667431 and I'll be happy to allay any fears you have about the way we came to the decision, or the way we run our club.
    You've entered the competition I'm thinking the club needs to show a bit of commitment to it. Plenty of ways around it IMO.

Play 3 grades against Westlakes on Saturday and 1st grade doubles as the FFA Cup.

Not that it's your responsibility but would it not be reasonable to help organise to have both Uni and whoever Westlakes were playing play each other?

Quote Originally Posted by holding_midfield View Post
    Meh too much common sense here.

Back over to the rabble:
    Meh too much common sense here...

Anyways onto some decent clubs.... The kids and I decided we'd hang around Speers Point and watch the FFA cup games

That score definitely wasn't a true indication of the game IMO. Dudley should have scored more! Good lord suns were ordinary with some next level shitty goal keeping on display (at both ends).
    Last edited by MisplacedPasses; 21-03-2019 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyZigga View Post
    Not that is actually concerns anyone who has posted here, however the decision to forfeit the cup fixture was taken after discussion with both Westlakes and NNSW.
    While it is unfortunate, members of the comittee agreed it was the best option for the club as a whole to proceed with our trials vs Uni (ZL1 FYI) this weekend.

Coaches spend months planning preseason, shift workers have to alter rosters to play trials, and committees/sponsors spend time organising club functions, all to hopefully havs a successful season.
    It is ridiculous to think that all these things can be changed at the drop of a hat so close to the comp starting. Our decision sees 40 odd blokes playing 3 grades in their last hitout before the season, an opportunity that would be lost if we had to play the cup fixture.
    Westlakes also have a trial this weekend, and they were also trying to swing things to avoid having to cancel it. Our preference was to play midweek, ideally tonight, but as we cannot host and NNSW decided Westlakes would therefore host, we had no option after Westlakes said they could not host until this weekend.

It's unfortunate that this was the decision we took, but now both clubs will be playing 6 games of football instead of potentially just one. Neither side is without a game, good luck to Westlakes in the next round.

If anyone else feels like the decision has affected them and wishes to discuss it further, please give me a call on 0421667431 and I'll be happy to allay any fears you have about the way we came to the decision, or the way we run our club.
    What a disgrace to forfeit, they should have the book thrown at them, blatant disregard for our game.

Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    What a disgrace to forfeit, they should have the book thrown at them, blatant disregard for our game.
    cry me a river 😂

Quote Originally Posted by MisplacedPasses View Post
    You've entered the competition I'm thinking the club needs to show a bit of commitment to it. Plenty of ways around it IMO.

Play 3 grades against Westlakes on Saturday and 1st grade doubles as the FFA Cup.

Not that it's your responsibility but would it not be reasonable to help organise to have both Uni and whoever Westlakes were playing play each other?

Meh too much common sense here...

Anyways onto some decent clubs.... The kids and I decided we'd hang around Speers Point and watch the FFA cup games

That score definitely wasn't a true indication of the game IMO. Dudley should have scored more! Good lord suns were ordinary with some next level shitty goal keeping on display (at both ends).
    Suns dominated the first 20min and was like they ran out of legs. The crude tackle in the second half from the Suns player was red card all day not sure why he protested.
    It's handy at the complex watching 2 games at once. Azzuri got out of jail against Garden Suburbs their fans definitely add some interest to the game. Azzuri would be really competitive in ZPL that's for sure

Quote Originally Posted by The Hacker View Post
    Suns dominated the first 20min and was like they ran out of legs. The crude tackle in the second half from the Suns player was red card all day not sure why he protested.
    It's handy at the complex watching 2 games at once. Azzuri got out of jail against Garden Suburbs their fans definitely add some interest to the game. Azzuri would be really competitive in ZPL that's for sure
    What was the score, for those not in the know.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    What was the score, for those not in the know.
    5-1

Heard Suns are looking for a coach? Players walking off the field in friendlies like last season before there coach got sacked?

FFA Cup
    Warners Bay 5 def Charlestown JFC 0

The mighty Raymond Terrace will win this Competition. Very confident

Quote Originally Posted by Kicktheball View Post
    The mighty Raymond Terrace will win this Competition. Very confident
    They've struggled to get out of ZL1 for years..... mid table at best.

I want some of what he's got cause it must be good to come at that conclusion. First 4 weeks will be an indicator with Dudley, Kotara and Mayfield

3rd,2nd and 1st with 3 GF Wins in the 3 years they were in ZL1. Yep really struggled.
    ZPL is a new challenge for them that i am sure they are up for. They dont play the prettiest football but it works and Mayfield proved last year that you dont need pretty football to win the comp in ZPL.

Anyone else catch that the Cardiff vs Swansea round 2 game is being filmed by Optus Sport for a doco they are doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Passtheballmate View Post
    3rd,2nd and 1st with 3 GF Wins in the 3 years they were in ZL1. Yep really struggled.
    ZPL is a new challenge for them that i am sure they are up for. They dont play the prettiest football but it works and Mayfield proved last year that you dont need pretty football to win the comp in ZPL.
    They will be lucky to finish in the top half of the table.
    Happens every time, ZL1 team gets promoted thinking they are hot stuff and get a reality check, struggle the next season and drop back down within a season or 2.

Table predictions for the season ahead ?

1.Suns
    2.Dudley
    3.Swansea
    4.Mayfield
    5.Cardif
    6.Kotara
    7.Terrace
    8.Barnsley
    9.Bay
    10.Bero

Quote Originally Posted by HonkingDonkey View Post
    Happens every time, ZL1 team gets promoted thinking they are hot stuff and get a reality check, struggle the next season and drop back down within a season or 2.
    I agree with they will be lucky to finish in top half of table. But they will be far from disgraced and i assume they will be very competitive.

Not sure about the comments regarding "ZL1" teams come up and struggle. I have been involved the Zone league (and the old interdistrict) days for over a decade.
    With the Exception of Dudley who essentially come down into zone leagues from 2nd division. the other 8 clubs have all had their ups and downs over the years. turnover of players and how some clubs are run can cause issues. I know us at Kotara come 5th in ZL1 then got promoted and ran 5th in first year of ZPL when everyone as well as us thought we were going to be the whipping boys. Albeit we had some good juniors come through. so we should be right for a few years. There is some aging clubs out there where the glory days are well behind them...

Quote Originally Posted by HonkingDonkey View Post
    Just like Jesmond and Barnsley. I've heard their preseason results haven't been great (not that i'm in the know of all of their games). All those super star signings from Bero paying dividends!

Quote Originally Posted by FatKeeper View Post
    Table predictions for the season ahead ?

1.Suns
    2.Dudley
    3.Swansea
    4.Mayfield
    5.Cardif
    6.Kotara
    7.Terrace
    8.Barnsley
    9.Bay
    10.Bero
    1. Dudley - Finally all those house extensions and cars they've been buying for people will pay off.
    2. Swansea
    3. Kotara
    4. Mayfield
    5. Bay
    6. Suns
    7. Terrace
    8. Bero
    9. Barnsley
    10. Cardiff - Sad to see my favourite club all the way down here

My opinion on the swans has changed, they'll be a bit of a dark horse this year

[QUOTE=MisplacedPasses;221954]Just like Jesmond and Barnsley. I've heard their preseason results haven't been great (not that i'm in the know of all of their games). All those super star signings from Bero paying dividends!

1. Dudley - Finally all those house extensions and cars they've been buying for people will pay off.
    2. Swansea
    3. Kotara
    4. Mayfield
    5. Bay
    6. Suns
    7. Terrace
    8. Bero
    9. Barnsley

Number 10, geez your getting soft, I predicted you would say something like "fold mid season, due to high injury toll"

Table Prediction

1. Dudley
    2. Suns
    3. Kotara
    4. Mayfield
    5. Swansea
    6. Raymond Terrace
    7. Cardiff
    8. Warners Bay
    9. Beresfield
    10. Barnsley

Just like Jesmond and Barnsley. I've heard their preseason results haven't been great (not that i'm in the know of all of their games). All those super star signings from Bero paying dividends!

2. Swansea
    3. Kotara
    4. Mayfield
    5. Bay
    6. Suns
    7. Terrace
    8. Bero
    9. Barnsley

My opinion on the swans has changed, they'll be a bit of a dark horse this year
    I don't think there is a clear contender for 10th every team is a few injuries to their good players away from struggling. Any team can beat the other on their day.
    Not sure Dudley are splashing the cash A few Regos maybe