Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Zone League 1 thread

Quote Originally Posted by idontwannaplaywithhowey View Post
    Most important question of year from New Lambton FC for the Azzurri boys:
    Do you guys have a liquor licence, or do we bring our own beers on Saturday?
    They dont have a ground how would they have a liquor licence. They need to spread fertilizer or plant grass seed like other clubs do rather then whinge to council and not have a ground to play on.

Quote Originally Posted by TXK View Post
    Maryland vs. Azzurri

1sts: 1 - 3
    Res: 0 - 2
    Thirds: 0 - 7

NCIP vs TXK: ME
    Good results again TXK you boys are looking strong across all 3 grades compared to last season
    2 goals across all 3 sqauds to start the year is a decent effort.

any blokes unhappy there yet ? I know a sqaud that would happily take them onboard :P

Obviously the new recruits are doing well

it's only early days but the gaps starting to open across all 3 grades certainly has been some interesting results to say the least

Any wonderful person on here connected to Jesmond FC? Need to reschedule our washout games.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanky View Post
    They dont have a ground how would they have a liquor licence. They need to spread fertilizer or plant grass seed like other clubs do rather then whinge to council and not have a ground to play on.
    When are we gonna get the time to do so? The ground is used by multiple codes all year long.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    When are we gonna get the time to do so? The ground is used by multiple codes all year long.
    Like any other club volunteers help the club out. I’m pretty sure most clubs share grounds with other codes yet they all do work on there grounds to get them up and ready for football season

Quote Originally Posted by Swanky View Post
    Like any other club volunteers help the club out. I’m pretty sure most clubs share grounds with other codes yet they all do work on there grounds to get them up and ready for football season
    Thanks for the tips, mate. You clearly know nothing of the situation
    Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    It's was criticism because the discussion was about rego cost and you stated ours is higher than yours

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    well what is the situation?

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    well what is the situation?

not knowing exactly what happens at the ground but at a guess from driving past every weekend of the year and daily on my commute to and from work theres either cricket, touch football, senior soccer, junior soccer all happening on that ground year round. Id struggle to recall a time where I have driven past and there has not been something happening on that ground week after week.

If they had the luxury of it being a dedicated soccer park then id certainly be asking questions as to why they can't but from what i can see I highly doubt you could ever get a full month or 2 where the ground was not being used to be able to allow grass to grow and repairs to take place.

unfortunately not everyone has the luxury of having a dedicated soccer only pitch that has plenty of time for spring/pre season growth repairs to get it in top shape for the winter season.

Having worked on a ground that had cricket, league, athletics, touch football and soccer to deal with year round I can certainly understand where they are coming from

Just my 2 cents on the topic from an outsider looking in.

But p.s it does look quite grassy from the roadway are there other issues at the ground ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
    not knowing exactly what happens at the ground but at a guess from driving past every weekend of the year and daily on my commute to and from work theres either cricket, touch football, senior soccer, junior soccer all happening on that ground year round. Id struggle to recall a time where I have driven past and there has not been something happening on that ground week after week.

If they had the luxury of it being a dedicated soccer park then id certainly be asking questions as to why they can't but from what i can see I highly doubt you could ever get a full month or 2 where the ground was not being used to be able to allow grass to grow and repairs to take place.

unfortunately not everyone has the luxury of having a dedicated soccer only pitch that has plenty of time for spring/pre season growth repairs to get it in top shape for the winter season.

Having worked on a ground that had cricket, league, athletics, touch football and soccer to deal with year round I can certainly understand where they are coming from

Just my 2 cents on the topic from an outsider looking in.

But p.s it does look quite grassy from the roadway are there other issues at the ground ? ? ?

Pretty close to the money, mate! The other huge factor is that there is zero irrigation. So combine the extremely heavy ground use (don't forget there is over 2,000 oztag players on top of all the other ground users such as cricket etc) with zero water and therein lies the problem. We are unable to do anything at all to the ground until 1st April when our user agreement starts. And before anyone asks, yes we have filled out grant applications

Pitch actually looks really good from the road! It has certainly improved since we've stayed off it for the last month and we are hopeful of getting back on there in the not to distant future.

Swanky, Trust me, if it was as simple as "spreading fertilizer and grass seeds" don't you think we would do that instead of having to make countless phone calls chasing a ground every home game, lose on canteen takings, transport equipment etc etc?
    Last edited by the_butcher; 07-05-2019 at 04:11 PM.
    It's was criticism because the discussion was about rego cost and you stated ours is higher than yours

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    what are your plans for the ground then?

I spoke to a few Azzurri guys at the grand final last season and most of them seemed to think Council should do everything

as any club who's had facilities upgraded will tell you, that's not going to work

Quote Originally Posted by the_butcher View Post
    So combine the extremely heavy ground use (don't forget there is over 2,000 oztag players on top of all the other ground users such as cricket etc) with zero water and therein lies the problem. We are unable to do anything at all to the ground until 1st April when our user agreement starts. And before anyone asks, yes we have filled out grant applications
    With the zero irrigation, are you saying that there are no hose connections anywhere at smith park to run hoses from?

Serious question, just trying to fully understand.
    Last edited by sammydog; 07-05-2019 at 05:04 PM.

soooooo... we will bring our own beers then yea?

Sorry, I’m not buying it. At Redhead we cannot have trials as we prepare for the changeover from cricket. We are not a big club but have around 600 player. Cricket do shit all to maintain the grounds. We do! We have 6 volunteer days where we spread top soil and grass seed. Fill rabbit holes and prep the field. Mums and dads and players all chime in, It’s doable and expected from a shared facility. Yes, we don’t have touch footy but we don’t have council support to rely on preparing a Wembley also. Sorry Azzuri, you guys have done an incredible job of building a team and progressing aggressively (we beat you in a semi but &#128536 you need to make it happen. Man power, mowers, wheel barrows etc. Time to own it. I’ve seen the ground empty many times. You really want to improve? You can. If you want ZPL, you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Charman View Post
    Sorry, I’m not buying it.
    And I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over whether you do or not Can't put top soil down before April 1st because of Oztag and risk of injury due to unsecured playing surface. A couple of games of cricket is one thing, 2000 Oztag players is another but well done to your volunteers and congrats on winning a game against us.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    With the zero irrigation, are you saying that there are no hose connections anywhere at smith park to run hoses from?

Serious question, just trying to fully understand.
    Zero hose connections.

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    what are your plans for the ground then?

I spoke to a few Azzurri guys at the grand final last season and most of them seemed to think Council should do everything

as any club who's had facilities upgraded will tell you, that's not going to work
    No one is saying they should do everything but they should do something. At recent meetings they themselves said that they can't remember investing any resources into Smith Park, ever.

Boz, plans are to complete a grant application for irrigation as the first step. By irrigation I just mean access to water, not a sprinkler system of anything that good. Down the track we'd love to be able to train at Smith Park. We are currently unable to due to lack of lighting. We have to hire Dangar Park for training. Lets not even bother discussing the change facilities NCC have said it needs to be demolished and NNSWF have it as a priority.

Round 5 predictions:

Westlakes vs Stockton = Stockton
    Cooks Hill vs Maryland = Cooks Hill
    Azzurri vs New Lambton = New Lambton
    Wallsend vs Uni = Uni
    Garden Suburb vs Jesmond = Suburbs

Cooks Hill vs Maryland would have to be the match of the round. A loss for either side will put any premiership aspirations in some serious trouble, even at this early stage of the season.

Thirds for the Mozzie!
    Westlakes vs Stockton = Stockton...sorry Moz I think it will be a close one though. Winning margin will only be by 1 goal.
    Cooks Hill vs Maryland = Cooks Hill by double figures, Maryland to be kept scoreless.
    Azzurri vs New Lambton = Azzurri with Chad McCarter continuing his run of goals
    Wallsend vs Uni = Wallsend with the upset
    Garden Suburb vs Jesmond = Suburbs, Joe Sommerville to bag a hattrick and celebrate by sucking his thumb in celebration for having a baby the other day.

Round 5 predictions.

Fun!

Thirds for the Mozzie!
    Westlakes vs Stockton = Stockton...sorry Moz I think it will be a close one though. Winning margin will only be by 1 goal.
    Cooks Hill vs Maryland = Cooks Hill by double figures, Maryland to be kept scoreless.
    Azzurri vs New Lambton = Azzurri with Chad McCarter continuing his run of goals
    Wallsend vs Uni = Wallsend with the upset
    Garden Suburb vs Jesmond = Suburbs, Joe Sommerville to bag a hattrick and celebrate by sucking his thumb in celebration for having a baby the other day.
    Much appreciated as always Butcher.

Thirds
    Westlakes v Stockton - Westlakes 3-2
    Cookshill v Maryland - Cookers 13-1
    Azzuri v New Lambton - Azzuri 1-0
    Suburbs v Jesmond - Suburbs 5-1
    Wallsend v Uni - Wallsend 4-0

Can see why you have tipped Stocko, we haven’t played to the standards we have set ourselves yet this year but hoping it kicks into gear v stocko. The only thing tighter than this game will be stitching on Rolo’s pants.

Azzuri v NL will be interesting NL were very tidy in defence but I feel Azzurri will push them.

Edit. Sorry to drag you into this Rolo
    Last edited by Incognito mosquito; 09-05-2019 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Adding additional comment

Pretty close to the money, mate! The other huge factor is that there is zero irrigation. So combine the extremely heavy ground use (don't forget there is over 2,000 oztag players on top of all the other ground users such as cricket etc) with zero water and therein lies the problem. We are unable to do anything at all to the ground until 1st April when our user agreement starts. And before anyone asks, yes we have filled out grant applications

Pitch actually looks really good from the road! It has certainly improved since we've stayed off it for the last month and we are hopeful of getting back on there in the not to distant future.

Swanky, Trust me, if it was as simple as "spreading fertilizer and grass seeds" don't you think we would do that instead of having to make countless phone calls chasing a ground every home game, lose on canteen takings, transport equipment etc etc?
    I think it's time Azzuri zone league squad played elsewhere. It's easy said then done, But Smith Park is a multi purpose sports ground. Azzuri deserve a better facility, especially if the club reaches ZPL.

Westlakes v Stockton

3rds 2-0 Westlakes
    Res 0-0
    1sts 1-1