Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Zone League 1 thread

Not after last years performance

I wouldn’t take much note of kicktheballs predictions going off his form last year.

How'd the battle of the Azzuri's go

6-2 Firsts v Firsts (Up 1-0 after 20, 2-1 down at HT, 2-2 early into the second half, ran out of legs in the last 15)
    2-1 Reserves v 20s (1-0 HT, conceded early into second half, grabbed a goal shortly after conceding, couldn’t grab the equaliser)
    3-1 3rds v 18s (3-0 HT, conceded 2 inside the first 5, came out better second half and grabbed a goal)

Can see why Azzuri are the favourites for this comp. Competing well against NPL sides this early in the year, should destroy this comp??

Nope aim is to still #survivethedrop

Carn dem WILDCATS !!! *purr purr*

Predictions:

1. Westlakes (by goal diff - we are stronger than a Bengal tiger this year mark my words)
    2. Hammo - (if they can not argue amongst themselves)
    3. Cooks Hill (will pay officials off to get here - can give decent HJs)
    4. Stocko (if they can stay off the piss)
    5. Gardo (probs tied on same points - wont have the stamina to play three times a week towards the end of season due to that horsep%ss ground)
    6. Uni (dark horse)
    7. Mary's Fletch (grubs)
    8. Eagles plumbing plus - (no idea - probs battling Jezzo for who is more of a waste of tim- will have to see)
    9. Boresend (they were a joke last year and cant see any improvement - i hear most players have left for greener pastures)
    10. Jes-boned (would rather have a bye)

Cookers and Wallsend should go alright from what I have heard around the club, who have Azzurri picked up and who's still there ?

Quote Originally Posted by Oh_DEM_golden_Grahams View Post
    Carn dem WILDCATS !!! *purr purr*

Predictions:

1. Westlakes (by goal diff - we are stronger than a Bengal tiger this year mark my words)
    2. Hammo - (if they can not argue amongst themselves)
    3. Cooks Hill (will pay officials off to get here - can give decent HJs)
    4. Stocko (if they can stay off the piss)
    5. Gardo (probs tied on same points - wont have the stamina to play three times a week towards the end of season due to that horsep%ss ground)
    6. Uni (dark horse)
    7. Mary's Fletch (grubs)
    8. Eagles plumbing plus - (no idea - probs battling Jezzo for who is more of a waste of tim- will have to see)
    9. Boresend (they were a joke last year and cant see any improvement - i hear most players have left for greener pastures)
    10. Jes-boned (would rather have a bye)
    Based on the occasional drive by down Myall Rd the Lance York deck is looking absolutely mint, particularly compared to a few seasons back.

Quote Originally Posted by Giges View Post
    Based on the occasional drive by down Myall Rd the Lance York deck is looking absolutely mint, particularly compared to a few seasons back.
    Its pretty nice, there are patches of Kikuyu grass still being removed, but it's mostly good grass and level atm. Should be much better than seasons past.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    Its pretty nice, there are patches of Kikuyu grass still being removed, but it's mostly good grass and level atm. Should be much better than seasons past.
    The Kikuyu is staying on Lance Yorke, but the Parramatta Grass has been completely eradicated. At the moment parts of the Kikuyu look a bit stressed but this is only because the ground went a few weeks over Christmas/New Year without being mowed. When it was the grass was knee high and it got scalped pretty badly, it will bounce back over the next few weeks. Without the parramatta grass, most of the dodgy bounces should be eliminated and the pitch seems to be pretty flat.

The top ground is now completely couch (except for Kikuyu on the old cricket pitch, but this may still be removed). The Parramatta Grass cull up there worked much better than expected and we will finish off the areas outside of the pitch next off season so the coverage is good all the way to the scout hall end.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    The Kikuyu is staying on Lance Yorke, but the Parramatta Grass has been completely eradicated.
    How have you guys managed to eradicate that paramatta grass? Everything I've heard about it is generally being easier to returf the pitch?

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    How have you guys managed to eradicate that paramatta grass? Everything I've heard about it is generally being easier to returf the pitch?
    Returfing isn't always successful either depending how far down the seedbank is.

The process started a few years back with regular soil testing and amendments to the ground to get the soil to a reasonable level and break up the clay. Without that prep work the grass would have struggled.

This off season we (working with Council) essentially killed both fields at the end of the season. It was a process of spraying (I cant remember off hand the name of the chemicals we used but it was a cocktail) every second week for about two months. It is brutal on everything, but the couch comes back first, the kikuyu takes a bit longer to recover. The parramatta grass just died off at the end and the occasional bit that shows up we pull out by hand, but there isn't much left. After the spraying was done, the pitches were sprayed with pre-emergence to stop new stuff coming through (and weeds in the bare spots), and from there its been fertiliser and water.

It was all looking awesome until the Christmas break when Council don't mow and no one from the club was around to drive the ride on. So it grew quite long over a three week period and is now recovering from the scalping. The heat isn't helping, but it still looks good.

When spraying, we were selective in on the main ground as the parramatta grass was mainly confined to the middle of the pitch, which is why at the moment it is couch through the middle, but the kikuyu will come back everywhere it was. The top ground was a complete eradication and nuking of everything, it is now fully couch.

Essentially its been a crap load of work but its worked so well, next off season we are doing all the areas around the playing area on the top field which should give us a lot of extra training space to save the fields from too much wear.

I can dig up and post some progress photos if people want, or just drop in if you drive past.

The unknown now, particularly with the top pitch is what sort of couch we have and how it will hold up. At $3500 to have it DNA tested, we will just suck it up and see. Id say up to June at least (wet weather permitting) the pitches will be sweet, the couch will go dormant before the kikuyu. Hopefully now though, as it wears it should be even without the lumpy parramatta grass causing everyone grief.
    Last edited by sammydog; 26-01-2019 at 12:57 PM.

Predicting a lot stronger comp this year.
    If Cookshill can maintain their squad and add one or 2 will be hard to beat home. Azzurri will be there somewhere making some noise.and no doubt recruiting every ex state league player possible. I’m tipping Weatslakes to stir the Comp and make a GF appearance against either Azzurri Or Cookshill.

Oh_DEM_golden_Grahams will be stoked there’s another Wildcats prediction

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    Hopefully now though, as it wears it should be even without the lumpy parramatta grass causing everyone grief.
    Hats off to the club, thats alot of man hours to get to this point! Will Definitely call in and have a look next time driving past, its just good to know it can be removed with some work

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Oh_DEM_golden_Grahams will be stoked there’s another Wildcats prediction
    I feel like ODGG doesn't care about much outside of "Boresend"..
    OK

Just wondering if anyone knows when the comp draw will be released?

Quote Originally Posted by Haircut View Post
    a couple of weeks, we have draft copies atm. Waiting for club amendments.

Quote Originally Posted by Haircut View Post
    Wednesday 27th of February the draw will be finalized.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!