Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 2019 All Age/Over 35s/pub league thread

Quote Originally Posted by Charman View Post
    Just wondering, how often are teams (or certain clubs) not getting refs. For us, O35E Fri night, we have had them once at home. I get it, only game on and all the way out at Redhead. Is there any merit in a thread that indicates a pool of people that would have interest in a call up or we just place an "add" for a person to officiate? We find someone every week but it's like pulling teeth.
    Looking at the referee roster that comes out everyweek plenty of grounds won't get them every week

What I don't get is that they assign three refs to one ground so that 4-6 games have the centre ref and two linesmen, but then all these other grounds have no refs.

Would be far better to assign a centre ref to as many games as possible and then assign linesmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    Only required when you have a licensed venue, right?
    No and this year the association has added a box to the team sheet for the refs to mark where there is no duty officer.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    Looking at the referee roster that comes out everyweek plenty of grounds won't get them every week

What I don't get is that they assign three refs to one ground so that 4-6 games have the centre ref and two linesmen, but then all these other grounds have no refs.

Would be far better to assign a centre ref to as many games as possible and then assign linesmen.
    Few factors. No longer involved, but historically the 3 referees that were assigned would either rotate if there were 2-3 games or include a senior referee and two junior referees that wouldn’t be capable of refereeing an all age or o35 game.

Conversely, rostering 1 senior referee to officiate 3 games as the sole referee would be a big undertaking. Usually the better grade is last and they end up with a referee that’s already been moving around for 3 hours to officiate the game alone.

Interesting development with the duty officer section. Does the duty officer have to present to the referee or be sighted during play? As Sammy said, what if they are just watching from somewhere afar and there’s nothing untoward happening?

IMO, duty officer is important when things get out of hand. But if the games are played in good spirits and there’s no need for them, then it should be acceptable. However, the issue comes when a “this will be a chill game” turns bad and there’s no duty officer present to help control the situation.

In the new area I was playing prior to injury, the referee has to get two names prior to the game of duty officers. One from each team. If they don’t get names, the game doesn’t start. So that’s what a Sydney association is doing...

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Does the duty officer have to present to the referee or be sighted during play?
    Just needs to be visible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Few factors. No longer involved, but historically the 3 referees that were assigned would either rotate if there were 2-3 games or include a senior referee and two junior referees that wouldn’t be capable of refereeing an all age or o35 game.
    I understand that and do see it but I also see three men reffing a game at some grounds and no refs at others.

Conversely, rostering 1 senior referee to officiate 3 games as the sole referee would be a big undertaking. Usually the better grade is last and they end up with a referee that’s already been moving around for 3 hours to officiate the game alone.
    Not something I had thought of but better to have one tired referee than none.

Interesting development with the duty officer section. Does the duty officer have to present to the referee or be sighted during play? As Sammy said, what if they are just watching from somewhere afar and there’s nothing untoward happening?

In the new area I was playing prior to injury, the referee has to get two names prior to the game of duty officers. One from each team. If they don’t get names, the game doesn’t start. So that’s what a Sydney association is doing...
    Just sighted, however, I have been told by one club secretary (though she is prone to lying about these sort of things) that referees are not to start a game unless there are duty officers present. I have never seen a game where duty officers are not present and a ref refuse to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    I understand that and do see it but I also see three men reffing a game at some grounds and no refs at others.
    TBF, most of the assistants are younger kids with a senior ref in the middle.

After last nights effort I can see why we struggle to get refs at all. Some of the player behavior is appalling.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post

Some of the player behavior is appalling.
    Thats the crux of the problem.

I also think that with O35's becoming more and more popular, there are less people jumping over to ref when they stop playing.

Good news is, I have had some very good young refs in charge of my U12 Girls this season, if all these kids stick with it we do have some good referees coming through. Just have to look after them and make sure they aren't turned off it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post

After last nights effort I can see why we struggle to get refs at all. Some of the player behavior is appalling.
    Yes I know which I do see, however, as I said I do see some of the three are all men.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post

I also think that with O35's becoming more and more popular, there are less people jumping over to ref when they stop playing.

Good news is, I have had some very good young refs in charge of my U12 Girls this season, if all these kids stick with it we do have some good referees coming through. Just have to look after them and make sure they aren't turned off it.
    Lenny’s hit it on the head. The amount of turn over we get is ridiculous, and most of the time it’s due to the way they’ve been treated by players, team officials, spectators and clubs. I’m not saying all clubs are bad, nor players or team officials. Quite simply, it’s a cancer on our game. Everyone needs to realise that the refs aren’t out there to **** any one over, they’re out there to do their best. If a player misses a pass, or has a bad touch, does everyone abuse them? So why abuse referees? Especially the young kids, that’s just not on.

As for where there’s 3 adult referees appointed to one ground, it doesn’t meant they’re competent enough to do the centre. The two ARs might be beginners, or not quite up to the level to do a centre with adults. Might also be where they can make it after work. And on the odd occasion, you might get all three competent enough, but there might be other factors that you don’t know about.

In terms of the number of games referees cover, a somewhat fit referee will do between 6 and 7km per adult match, and about half that on the line, depending on teams. So as others have said, it’s a long ****ing day for them, especially when you have 5 min turn around. Players are wrecked after 1 game, feel sorry for the ref who’s still got another 2 to go and by the end of the day might’ve covered close to 20km, or more. Same thing in the senior comps, generally the refs are there all day, so by the time first grade has come around, they might’ve already done 10-12km, and then have to deal with first grade. This is simply a result of the number of available referees.

People just need to stop acting like entitled twats who expect perfection from humans. Or, if they still want to expect perfection, northern have a great deal for next season where for $100 you get the beginners course, and all you need to start reffing, including rego, but not boots. If you think it’s easy, go pick up a whistle and try it.
    Last edited by Thomas477; 22-06-2019 at 09:58 PM.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post

As refs we are all 1 game from giving it away for good. The players will usually decided when

Referee numbers are down in all age and over 35's football due to more referees being pushed into zone league football. With some zone league teams now playing Friday nights.

I suppose it's great for the zone league competitions and the referees themselves who make more cash doing zone league games. I suppose that's the advantage of teams playing zone league football. A real incentive to make the step up.

In my opinion the Friday night all age competition has become too big in grades, I believe it should have been capped and this in term would have provided more referees in the friday night over 35's. Friday night was always the main night for over 35's and should have stayed that way. As in future years the womens all age may request to play some grades on Friday night, what will happen then?

I suppose at the end of the day associations are mainly concerned on playing numbers and couldn't really care who plays on what days.

In switzerland we have a system that the referees are registered basically at a base level with a football club... and the amount of teams a club is allowed to field from juniors to seniors is directly related to how many referees they have registered....
    Amigos Aarau

Anyone know if there'll be a weekend gap between the last round and semis this year?

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    Anyone know if there'll be a weekend gap between the last round and semis this year?
    I wouldn't think so as I would think the Grand Final weekend would be 31/8-1/9 as it was last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Giges View Post
    I wouldn't think so as I would think the Grand Final weekend would be 31/8-1/9 as it was last year.
    No spare weekend between final round and semi finals. Only spare weekend left is 12th to 14th July.

Grand Finals as above.

Quote Originally Posted by Giges View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Reds Forever View Post
    No spare weekend between final round and semi finals. Only spare weekend left is 12th to 14th July.

Grand Finals as above.
    Cheers guys

Quote Originally Posted by anfield View Post
    Referee numbers are down in all age and over 35's football due to more referees being pushed into zone league football. With some zone league teams now playing Friday nights.

I suppose it's great for the zone league competitions and the referees themselves who make more cash doing zone league games. I suppose that's the advantage of teams playing zone league football. A real incentive to make the step up.
    I’m sorry, but that’s not true. They’re not being “pushed” into the zone league. It’s just a lot of the refs would have been doing a/a & o/35s are wanting to push themselves and see how they go into zone league. It’s also happening with juniors, a lot of the first years who would start in juniors are bypassing that and going straight to northern’s 11/12s SAP and junior newfm/npl as opposed to doing their apprenticeship in the various junior comps. There has also been a big movement of referees from the junior branches to northern over the past few years, and a range of ability levels. What you also find is that a lot of these referees would be covering up to 9 games over a weekend with the junior branches, whereas now, due to various reasons, they’re not doing anything near that. The junior branches never really recovered from this loss.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    I’m sorry, but that’s not true. They’re not being “pushed” into the zone league. It’s just a lot of the refs would have been doing a/a & o/35s are wanting to push themselves and see how they go into zone league. It’s also happening with juniors, a lot of the first years who would start in juniors are bypassing that and going straight to northern’s 11/12s SAP and junior newfm/npl as opposed to doing their apprenticeship in the various junior comps. There has also been a big movement of referees from the junior branches to northern over the past few years, and a range of ability levels. What you also find is that a lot of these referees would be covering up to 9 games over a weekend with the junior branches, whereas now, due to various reasons, they’re not doing anything near that. The junior branches never really recovered from this loss.
    You don't think the reason for the move is because they get paid more to officiate those games than they do with Juniors/AA/O35?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    Call it want you want, encouraged to do zone league and the higher rates of pay are the benefit of it.

Quote Originally Posted by anfield View Post
    Call it want you want, encouraged to do zone league and the higher rates of pay are the benefit of it.
    What you want, is the correct wording.