Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019/2020 Striking Options?

2019/2020 Striking Options?

So, I’ve been wondering about our striking options for next season. I think we need pace and also some realism about who we can get.

Zhang Yuning is on the move from West Brom and has played in the Chinese National side. Wondering if he would be a worthwhile pick-up? He is apparently keen to return to Asia, and this could be a good link-up given the Jets ownership.

Depends how our budget is looking. Word has it Lee wanted to dash our budget for this current season but lawrie talked him out of it. The new main sponser will hopefully ease some of the burden

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjet View Post
    Depends how our budget is looking. Word has it Lee wanted to dash our budget for this current season but lawrie talked him out of it. The new main sponser will hopefully ease some of the burden
    An 8 game deal to the end of the season ??

Exactky how much you think we getting for it??

I bet you it is chicken feed and sold off as a late season deal at well below normal market value

It was said to be "six figures" on NBN.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    It was said to be "six figures" on NBN.
    $1000.01 is six figures.

why wouldn't we just give kaine sheppard a bigger go. thurgate is also worth more of a look.

is roy contracted next season?

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    An 8 game deal to the end of the season ??

Exactky how much you think we getting for it??

I bet you it is chicken feed and sold off as a late season deal at well below normal market value
    To be honest I haven't even read anything about the sponser deal so have no idea about length etc

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    is roy contracted next season?
    No, he joined 1st July 2017 on a 2yr deal
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    No, he joined 1st July 2017 on a 2yr deal
    cheers. i do not believe he should be re-signed. his current form doesn't warrant the money he would be on, and the frequent suspensions aren't worth the risk.

i have no doubt that as soon as we are mathematically eliminated from the finals race he will start banging them in for fun and get another 3 year contract and a higher wage.

He should not be resigned ONLY if we have designs on getting somebody better. He is still our top scorer this season despite missing a chunk of it and has a high goals per game ratio.

Plus he rubbed the Gypos nose in it.

Cool heads here.....not Facebook style judgements.

I thought his workrate and general involvement was increased compared to previous weeks (normally just a spectator in general play). Obviously a goal was missing though

I’d be happy for Roy to stay if he took a bit of a pay cut. He’s probabaly on pretty decent coin and I’d argue he warranted it last season. I’m not sure how the a league goes about incentive based or bonuses within contracts and how that affects the cap. But that would be an okay option with bonuses for goals and games played. He scores goals in the a league. I’d rather have him with some history and experience behind him, than take a punt on some unknown. Unless we are getting a better alternative, I’d be happy to keep him. There’s a few others I’d cut before him.

On that though, if Victory have Toivonen in their cap, I’d like to see us have a crack at that type of signing. I imagine that was just some good scouting and recruiting. I’m sure he didn’t seek out the a league as a destination and he could’ve got good money/games elsewhere especially after scoring against Germany in a World Cup.

I feel like the Scandinavian leagues are on similar level to us and I doubt their players are being paid overs like they are here. All the South Americans have great YouTube videos but seem to either go missing or appear like superstars.

This season was inevitable.
    Dimi had an amazing season last year and if he continued that form, he’d be gone by now anyway.
    Nabbout was our best last year and largely responsible for our goals either scoring, or pressing.
    Champness was great off the bench last season. If he had a navy or sky blue shirt on, he’d be playing for Celtic now.

Nah time to move on from Roy. In a salary capped league there is no place for a sentimental signing.

If Roy was to come out in the first 6 rounds of next season giving the thumbs up to good non converted service people would be complaining why the hell we gave him another deal. Roy has been about the League a few seasons now and like Dimi i am afraid we have probably seen the best of them both.

Dimi has had two real standout seasons , One the season with Brisbane and shifted to Korea and then last season here. Both those standout seasons he was playing wonderful give and go and one touch football none of this the ball is mine and i am taking two dozen touches back into traffic shit. This not entirely on Dimi i also hold Ernie partly responsible for this going on for so long week after week, Ernie has been quoting stats to blow wind up his proverbial all season when the rest of us could see these issues in his game from the get go.

Anyways back to Roy if you want to see the club take steps forward again next season i believe that needs a new #9 to happen. Roy has lost that scent to sniff out half an opportunity hence he struggling to be in the right position at the right time. That was one of his strengths in previous seasons, He had a knack to be bang on time in the right place.

And Brem you are correct re wages. I am sure Miller commented that part of the world was a good location to seek out players as wages in that part were very comparable to the A League.

get more Asians. they are better than Scandos.

Dont think Shep is the answer either, thought he was poor yesterday.

Also, the Scando at Victory has acres of space because Barbarouses and Honda provide it.
    Stick Toivenen on our team he may luck into the odd good cross but thats about it.

my dream of an all Asian front 4 would walk this league. As always Middleby prob doesnt even know they fly direct to that part of the world these days.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    get more Asians. they are better than Scandos.

Dont think Shep is the answer either, thought he was poor yesterday.

Also, the Scando at Victory has acres of space because Barbarouses and Honda provide it.
    Stick Toivenen on our team he may luck into the odd good cross but thats about it.

my dream of an all Asian front 4 would walk this league. As always Middleby prob doesnt even know they fly direct to that part of the world these days.
    The other night I was watching Thai football on UTube

There are blokes in that comp that would walk it in Oz

Remember LeakyG and Song??

Why the **** dont we have 4 of them on our books??

Got to be better than the shit we have at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Nah time to move on from Roy. In a salary capped league there is no place for a sentimental signing.

If Roy was to come out in the first 6 rounds of next season giving the thumbs up to good non converted service people would be complaining why the hell we gave him another deal. Roy has been about the League a few seasons now and like Dimi i am afraid we have probably seen the best of them both.

Dimi has had two real standout seasons , One the season with Brisbane and shifted to Korea and then last season here. Both those standout seasons he was playing wonderful give and go and one touch football none of this the ball is mine and i am taking two dozen touches back into traffic shit. This not entirely on Dimi i also hold Ernie partly responsible for this going on for so long week after week, Ernie has been quoting stats to blow wind up his proverbial all season when the rest of us could see these issues in his game from the get go.

Anyways back to Roy if you want to see the club take steps forward again next season i believe that needs a new #9 to happen. Roy has lost that scent to sniff out half an opportunity hence he struggling to be in the right position at the right time. That was one of his strengths in previous seasons, He had a knack to be bang on time in the right place.

And Brem you are correct re wages. I am sure Miller commented that part of the world was a good location to seek out players as wages in that part were very comparable to the A League.
    Disagree RE Dimi - he was the same last season. He has always taken a lot of touches and looked to be the main man on the ball. And in general its worked for him. The difference is when Vargas is in the side as well, then there's two of them that like the ball at their feet and the team dynamic is thrown a bit. Dimi hasn't been as good as last season, but its hard to take anything in isolation. Last night, none of the other attackers offered much really.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Disagree RE Dimi - he was the same last season. He has always taken a lot of touches and looked to be the main man on the ball. And in general its worked for him. The difference is when Vargas is in the side as well, then there's two of them that like the ball at their feet and the team dynamic is thrown a bit. Dimi hasn't been as good as last season, but its hard to take anything in isolation. Last night, none of the other attackers offered much really.
    One thing that also stands out is how little our attackers actually defend

With Dimi and Vargas on the park neither like to tackle
    Jair more or less phones in his efforts anyway

Leaves us very exposed defensively and costs us countering opportunity as well

Just on stats alone Dimi seems to favour quantity over quality.

Lots of shots, bugger all on target, only three finding the back of the net.
    Lots of crosses - but few finding a target.
    Corners - Woeful. Confirmed as well when Cowburn took a corner the other week and found Ridentons head for the goal.

The Dimi we have now is the player he's always been - flashes of brilliance but a lot of poor quality hit and hope type shit.

The other night I was watching Thai football on UTube

There are blokes in that comp that would walk it in Oz

Remember LeakyG and Song??

Why the **** dont we have 4 of them on our books??

Got to be better than the shit we have at the moment
    im not even joking.
    personally think that one the whole, the Asian players who have come to the A-League have far outperformed Scandos and even the English/Championship level players.

08/09 GF was on the other night, my 2nd biggest* takeaway from that game was just how technically good Song was at such a young age. Ive no idea why we didnt keep going back to that well.

*of course the biggest takeaway was how good Griff is.

Griff.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    im not even joking.
    personally think that one the whole, the Asian players who have come to the A-League have far outperformed Scandos and even the English/Championship level players.

08/09 GF was on the other night, my 2nd biggest* takeaway from that game was just how technically good Song was at such a young age. Ive no idea why we didnt keep going back to that well.

*of course the biggest takeaway was how good Griff is.

Griff.
    We were lucky with Song - he needed access to a physical league as prep for Europe.

But we are never going to get a player of his quality again so cheap from Korea.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 25-02-2019 at 11:58 AM.

Jair more or less phones in his efforts anyway

Leaves us very exposed defensively and costs us countering opportunity as well
    was amazed last night at how little of Adelaides attack went down Jairs side. He was not even remotely interested in getting back to help, which wasnt a big problem until you realised that Shep and Roy were right next to him.

Adelaide coach kept going though Goodwin and i thought for the most part we covered him.

how he couldnt see the gaps on the other side ill never know.

But, at least Jair made space for himself in attack and at least looked to beat a man. Shep was bad, Dimi was covered and Roy was no where near the play.
    would be more than happy to see Joey and Jair start next match.
    Seems like I am WRONG