Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Olyroos AFC U-23 games.

Arzani last night

EvmaWBIWQAAOYe1.jpg
    Jaliens gives me the horn

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    In the last 4 years: he has played like 50 appearances (I daresay less than half were starts) for 6 goals. That’s also his stats for first team football.
    He’s had some bad luck, but there’s no way he deserves the hype the media give this kid. He needs consistent senior football and he may be a great player.
    Since he left Melbourne City not including any non-competitive reserve team football (Utrecht II is in because they play in Eerste Divisie)... 787 minutes, 19 games with 7 of those as a starter.
    He also has 187 minutes in seven Oly/Socceroo games... but six of those were WQ and before and the other was last night.

Apart from one game at Utrecht II, he doesn't appear to have played an entire 90 minutes since he was in Australia.

Oops forgot I probs should be posting in here.
    Arzani with a header goal bound. Wrong goal.

Ref very happy to be dishing out some soft yellows

Western Sydney warriors a new franchise?

That was coming.
    Wonder if oyzabal or whatever will be counting out 6 seconds for his own keeper…

Stupid from Atkinson. 95th minute. Pick up a yellow and get suspended.
    To be fair, I’ve been pretty keen to elbow these Spanish Drama queens all game.

So, I think we just need a draw to get to next stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    So, I think we just need a draw to get to next stage.
    A number of scenarios - https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/15690...uarter-finals/

Glad the fair play rule shouldn't factor for us - we would be down the toilet. And Tilio's goal could yet prove crucial.
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

resting arzani! arnie's lost it!

thats been coming for 44 minutes.

Speedzani at it again....."ring all your friends and tell them".....fmd.

To be fair to arzani, that’s almost the best 10 minutes of his career.

I hate this sport sometimes

Overall got what we deserved imo.
    If we approached this Egypt game the way we did the other 2, I think we had a fair chance.

Atkinsons yellow in the 95th minute for a frustration tackle against Spain was very silly.
    Duke as an overage player baffled me. But then I saw “why can’t I dry the ball with a wet towel” D’agostino attempt to lead the line and realised we must have just been keen on anybody that had played striker.

Souttar and Deng looked reasonably good this tournament. McGree also solid.
    Atkinson also impressive, bar the brain snap.

Arzani played one of the best 10 minutes of his career, should be enough to ensure he’s part of the next few Socceroos campaigns. “Remember that time when arzani came on in the Olympics and dribbled the ball and sent it into places Zadkovic didn’t know existed”.

Rowles represented his club well.
    Can also thank Arnold for allowing us to add “Olympian” to the CV of Devlin when we sell him.

Overall a typical men’s Australian team performance. Raise the hopes of the nation with a good result. Be narrowly defeated by a “powerhouse” and then stumble against the team you were most expected to compete against.

Honestly, that "attempt" on goal by Arzani, how high was it, 30-40 metres above the goal? And I still don't think the shot saved was going in either.
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

To be honest, I've mostly seen negative comments about last night, but I wasn't that disappointed. I thought we could have played a bit more aggressive in the first half, but we needed a draw to go through against an opponent who hadn't scored yet. The plan worked for 44 of 45 minutes, if we go into half time level I think everyone is happy. They scored off a counter and looked dangerous on the counter for the rest of the game - I don't think 90 minutes of open football would have suited us.

Second half, we needed to score, made attacking subs and I thought our attack looked pretty good. I've seen much worse attacking performances from the senior side. I enjoyed some of the link up and build up play. I'm no Arzani fan by any means but I did think he provided spark and created some nice chances. He made mistakes and turned the ball over a few times, but such is the nature of attacking players, you have to play risky and take chances. He seemed to be the main one up front willing to take the ball and try to make things happen. Not sure if it was D'Ag or Tilio he was mainly linking up with, but they played well together in general, some nice backheels.

We came close to scoring a few times, looked after the ball relatively well and definitely made them sweat before they wrapped it up on another counter. Again, giving their wingers time and space to dribble at us all game would not have been in our interests I don't think.

Probably missed Atkinson for that dumb late challenge against Spain, although I must say that ref was handing out yellows like they were going out of fashion.

Overall disappointing not to get through, but I'm not as down on it as most seem to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Speedzani at it again....."ring all your friends and tell them".....fmd.
    Wasn't that a horrible 5 minutes of commentary.
    Ring all your friends and tell them a semi decent footballer did something kinda ok.

Looked like most A League games, so called professionals who couldn't hit the side of a barn. Our footballers of 10-15 years ago must shake there head at the quality of front third players and depth for that matter this country is producing.
    Last edited by 380; 29-07-2021 at 05:09 PM.

AFC U23 asian cup on at the moment.

yengi red card was super harsh. he probably should have got a booking for an earlier challenge, but i don't think that is a red card. and then not to get the penalty awarded in the last 10 minutes - man, just seemed so clear. pretty poor refereeing for the whole match really.

great finish by kuol for his goal.

team seems more cohesive and structured than the seniors team. maybe we should swap them. think that puts them through to the next round.