Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 103

Thread: Is the Emerging Jets Program working?

  1. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    What’s the reasoning behind this? If you’re good enough you should be allowed to play IMO.
    Yeah it seems pointless, let a 11 turning 12 play U13 if he is good enough. Why is that not allowed yet a 12yo turning 13 can play all the way up to U16? A 15yo can play first grade?

    Once again there appears little logical consistency to Northern's rules

  2. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    Yeah it seems pointless, let a 11 turning 12 play U13 if he is good enough. Why is that not allowed yet a 12yo turning 13 can play all the way up to U16? A 15yo can play first grade?

    Once again there appears little logical consistency to Northern's rules
    Agree. It's crazy, especially considering the Football NSW youth competitions policy on "biological maturity". Players that are shown to be "potentially disadvantaged from a physical perspective" can play in a lower age-category, but kids good enough to play up a year or two cannot???? Mad.

    https://footballnsw.com.au/2019/09/1...al-maturation/

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    Yeah it seems pointless, let a 11 turning 12 play U13 if he is good enough. Why is that not allowed yet a 12yo turning 13 can play all the way up to U16? A 15yo can play first grade?

    Once again there appears little logical consistency to Northern's rules
    Not forgetting the u11s this year will be 12 next year so playing in the 13's is only one year up like the Jets kids do every year.

  4. #84
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    18
    14's just won the National Titles so I'd say they are going well.

  5. #85
    Occasional Podcaster furns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Branxton
    Posts
    4,749
    Check out the Lawrie episode on the Jetstream for expansion on whats going on with the Academy side of things
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

  6. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    Check out the Lawrie episode on the Jetstream for expansion on whats going on with the Academy side of things
    I thought the interview was excellent - great work. I know Lawrie comes in for a lot of criticism on here, but he came across really well. Honest, clear about why certain decisions had been made and someone who genuinely cares about the future of the club. Fair play to him on doing the interview with nothing off limits.

  7. #87
    Occasional Podcaster furns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Branxton
    Posts
    4,749
    Quote Originally Posted by londonboy View Post
    I thought the interview was excellent - great work. I know Lawrie comes in for a lot of criticism on here, but he came across really well. Honest, clear about why certain decisions had been made and someone who genuinely cares about the future of the club. Fair play to him on doing the interview with nothing off limits.
    thanks mate, was interesting to hear his response to this question in particular.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

  8. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by londonboy View Post
    I thought the interview was excellent - great work. I know Lawrie comes in for a lot of criticism on here, but he came across really well. Honest, clear about why certain decisions had been made and someone who genuinely cares about the future of the club. Fair play to him on doing the interview with nothing off limits.
    Completely agree.

  9. #89
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    thanks mate, was interesting to hear his response to this question in particular.
    Yes, I agree. I remain dubious that all parents have welcomed the move to Sydney with open arms. It may be the case that any sort of the unrest on the issue might not have filtered its way up to Lawrie's level, or that parents are worried about speaking out in case its effects their kid's spot in the team. Same for the move to Hunter Sports High School. Reading between the lines I suspect there will be a real push from the Jets for all kids in the program to attend Hunter Sports High School in the very near future. Lawrie mentioned the kids outside the school training 3 times a week and those kids attending the school having 5 sessions a week (plus using the schools physios etc). It may not be explicitly said by the Jets, but a time will come soon where parents/kids realise they probably need to attend the Hunter Sports High to get the best chance of making it. Tough choices.

  10. #90
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,232
    Quote Originally Posted by londonboy View Post
    It may not be explicitly said by the Jets, but a time will come soon where parents/kids realise they probably need to attend the Hunter Sports High to get the best chance of making it. Tough choices.
    Why on earth would you be banking on anything through a club that's future in our domestic league is not even certain let alone as a pathway to playing at the highest level in Europe ?
    If your kids good enough he or she will make it one way or another - it's never going to be a case only one pathway for them in football or any sport / profession.

    Plenty of time and plenty of opportunities
    Last edited by The Dunster; 14-10-2019 at 06:26 PM.

  11. #91
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Why on earth would you be banking on anything through a club that's future in our domestic league is not even certain let alone as a pathway to playing at the highest level in Europe ?
    Yes, I agree entirely. I find the whole Hunter Sports High thing quite troubling. Sure, use the facilities there if it makes financial sense etc, but keep the Jets out of the curriculum. The extra training for Jets kids going there is like a “reward” for attending the school. Why can’t they just do the normal football training the school does, and then save the formal Jets training for when all the kids at other schools are available?

    Does the Jets involvement at the school mean there are less places for non-Jets kids to get into the football program at HSHS? How does the Jets presence at the school effect the normal program/timetable? YouÂ’d have to think the Jets will be given preference on the use of facilities.

    To me there is too much putting all your eggs in one basket - for the Jets, for the school, and most importantly it seems kids/parents are being asked to do the same.

    Do any other clubs in Australia have a similar set-up, with kids being encouraged to go to a certain school and “rewarded” with more training for doing so?

  12. #92
    infant member plague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13,638
    Quote Originally Posted by londonboy View Post
    Yes, I agree entirely. I find the whole Hunter Sports High thing quite troubling. Sure, use the facilities there if it makes financial sense etc, but keep the Jets out of the curriculum. The extra training for Jets kids going there is like a “reward” for attending the school. Why can’t they just do the normal football training the school does, and then save the formal Jets training for when all the kids at other schools are available?

    Does the Jets involvement at the school mean there are less places for non-Jets kids to get into the football program at HSHS? How does the Jets presence at the school effect the normal program/timetable? YouÂ’d have to think the Jets will be given preference on the use of facilities.

    To me there is too much putting all your eggs in one basket - for the Jets, for the school, and most importantly it seems kids/parents are being asked to do the same.

    Do any other clubs in Australia have a similar set-up, with kids being encouraged to go to a certain school and “rewarded” with more training for doing so?
    i thought the CEO (in the podcast) said that there was already a section of the Jets academy kids who train more than others. Sorry forgot what the reason was, but was sure he said something to that effect. (Please correct if wrong anyone).

    Also, HSH and the Jets academy are all about one thing, and thats producing the best possible athletes. Yes they'd love them all to be well rounded, adjusted kids that know where the capital of Peru is on a map and be able to identify all the current genders, but at the heart of it they all want to be the best footballers they can be. If that means a change of school, a change of training base and a change of game venues, well its the sacrifice people have to make in order to achieve that.
    These kids (rightly or wrongly) have dreams of playing at the very highest level. A level that no one cares how 'book smart' you are. and outside of a selective academic school, the ability for the kids to learn the same stuff as everyone else in the city is at HSH anyway.

    the Jets have said "here is the best place for you to achieve your dreams". If the kids want it, they'll adjust, like the millions before them around the world that have done it.

    also, if having to travel for games, training and education is a problem, then top level football prob aint for them. if any of these kids are any sort of special then they'll be on the first bus out of Newy at a young age anyway. Not everyone gets the luxury of growing up in Singleton dreaming of being a coal miner.

    as for a Jets kid taking up a footballing spot at the school? I thought the Jets were supposed to be the pinnacle of football in this city so they 'should' be better than any other kids anyway. again, the goal here is to produce the best footballers. As many others have said, there is more than one pathway. If the kid doesnt get into HSH then they go down a different road. no different for the many many 'smart' kids who dont get into Merewether High. Plenty of them are still gonna be doctors and stat nerdz.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

  13. #93
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    as for a Jets kid taking up a footballing spot at the school? I thought the Jets were supposed to be the pinnacle of football in this city so they 'should' be better than any other kids anyway.
    I think the question is what happens to the other football kids (non jets academy) who are part of the talented sports programs. Are they going to get game opportunities & the same treatment as the Jets kids?

  14. #94
    infant member plague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    I think the question is what happens to the other football kids (non jets academy) who are part of the talented sports programs. Are they going to get game opportunities & the same treatment as the Jets kids?
    you mean TSP kids who dont go to HSH?
    Id assume no, they wont get the same opportunities as they are under the NNSW banner (is that right?) and its up to NNSW to sort that out.

    as for kids already at HSH for football, ive read it as the Jets are taking their program out to HSH to use facilities etc. You would have to assume that HSH football program will still be seperate. But yeah, maybe one for the CEO or technical director to answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

  15. #95
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    .

    as for a Jets kid taking up a footballing spot at the school? I thought the Jets were supposed to be the pinnacle of football in this city so they 'should' be better than any other kids anyway. again, the goal here is to produce the best footballers. As many others have said, there is more than one pathway. If the kid doesnt get into HSH then they go down a different road. no different for the many many 'smart' kids who dont get into Merewether High. Plenty of them are still gonna be doctors and stat nerdz.
    My point here is that HSH has an ongoing football program, which kids trial to get into the school to attend. These kids who get in are not all Emerging Jets (although some may be), but if there is now an onus on Jets kids going to the school, are there less spots for those non-Jets kids? There can only be a limited number of spaces open, and it would be a shame if the majority of places open each year only went to those already selected for the Jets. I just hope being an Emerging Jet does not become a prerequisite for selection for the school.

  16. #96
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    I think the question is what happens to the other football kids (non jets academy) who are part of the talented sports programs. Are they going to get game opportunities & the same treatment as the Jets kids?
    Presumably a time will come when the Jets think a kid is good enough for their program, and the kid is encouraged to go to HSH? Obviously Lawrie spoke about them catering for both HSH and non-HSH kids, but it will become more and more rare that kids not attending HSH will progress with the Jets if this link-up becomes a long-term thing.

  17. #97
    infant member plague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13,638
    Quote Originally Posted by londonboy View Post
    My point here is that HSH has an ongoing football program, which kids trial to get into the school to attend. These kids who get in are not all Emerging Jets (although some may be), but if there is now an onus on Jets kids going to the school, are there less spots for those non-Jets kids? There can only be a limited number of spaces open, and it would be a shame if the majority of places open each year only went to those already selected for the Jets. I just hope being an Emerging Jet does not become a prerequisite for selection for the school.
    oh i think your question is valid, but again, if the kid is hell bent on being a top level player, then they need to understand more avenues are available than just the jets.
    it could work the other way in that HSH expand their football program on the back of the Jets support. I dont know.

    but to be honest (and without the numbers) id not be surprised that wearing an NPL shirt has been better for the prospects of local players than wearing a Jets youth shirt over the past decade.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

  18. #98
    Senior Member MFKS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    KOTARA STH
    Posts
    14,645
    You guys make out like this is a new thing

    Didn't a former Jets Yoof coach work there and kids started magically enrolling at HSH once upon a time??
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post

    Double-eff-aye should introduce a 3rd division and dump these ice addict welfare living scumbags straight there. dont even let them get their stink anywhere near 2nd division.

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by the_butcher View Post
    How many years has it been running for? 7 years or so? Is 7 years long enough to make a judgement?

    Has it produced any quality players? I'm not talking about those that are good at NPL level because we have produced hundreds of those for decades without the EJP.

    Note: I'm talking about the EJP/Academy as one.
    How many are in the Aleague or in any professional league? Did Kanta or Hoffy go through EJ?

  20. #100
    Senior Member MFKS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    KOTARA STH
    Posts
    14,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    How many are in the Aleague or in any professional league? Did Kanta or Hoffy go through EJ?
    Cowburn
    Hoole
    Virgili
    Lundy
    Pepper

    They are the only locals who have been in it and played HAL from memory

    Others have been in it from out of town like
    Chapman
    Oxborrow
    Pavicevic
    Crowley
    Thurgate
    Duncan

    The most blatantly obvious part of this is that most of these players were there in the first year. Since then the Jets have went for younger players

    The only bloke who you could say has been in the system the longest is Thurgate
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post

    Double-eff-aye should introduce a 3rd division and dump these ice addict welfare living scumbags straight there. dont even let them get their stink anywhere near 2nd division.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •