Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Emerging Jets Program working?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Of the many thousands of students I taught at University I could count on one hand the successful ones that went to private schools.
    Did you lecture one of the "humanities" subjects at Uni? Is that why you need to count with your fingers?

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    parents deciding between 'maybe' hitting a decent ATAR and the bright lights of sporting stardom, you can see how they can get sidetracked.
    Smart kids would become player managers and get a slice of the wages of 20 or more players without ever having to kick a ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    than they will going to a school with Windale kids
    Yeah you might want to back it up a bit there boss.

Also understand the reason for the move is to reduce costs to the Newcastle Jets, isn't going to cost them $20k/year like it would if they stayed at Speers Point
    Well, hopefully NNSWF use this opportunity to push the use of the Speers Point facilities for the SAP or better community clubs. Half the SAP teams don’t use it, but with the Jets elsewhere they’ll need to get creative. I think it’s a great opportunity for NNSWF to go to SAP teams and woo them in. Magic, Jaffa’s, Olympic don’t currently want to train there. What can NNSWF do to get them in? Hopefully, they don’t just push more Fast 5ives to try and make it viable.

They would be very lucky if it cost them 20k. I know for a fact that NNSW are charging the Jets more in the vicinity of 200k to use Speers Point for academy training and games. Any reason they are getting out?
    With no lights at Hunter Sports, all training I suspect will be during school and daylight hours? “Encouraging kids to attend Hunter Sports”? Be like - “can’t attend all sessions? Can’t be part of program”
    Encouragement comes in many different forms.

Can someone clarify something for me please and correct any detail I don't fully understand the whole EJ process

The kids play for their clubs until U11
    The EJ is available until U13s next year
    Kids then need to return to NPL clubs? I ask as Ive heard and seen off the SAP, EJ, and others.. mentioned and trialling at NPL clubs in recent weeks

Is this correct? Why would you both with EJ to only need to return to an NPL club? Even typing that I think surely Iv have it all mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired01 View Post
    Can someone clarify something for me please and correct any detail I don't fully understand the whole EJ process

The kids play for their clubs until U11
    The EJ is available until U13s next year
    Kids then need to return to NPL clubs? I ask as Ive heard and seen off the SAP, EJ, and others.. mentioned and trialling at NPL clubs in recent weeks

Is this correct? Why would you both with EJ to only need to return to an NPL club? Even typing that I think surely Iv have it all mixed up.
    I think....... With the change in the SAP programs from Association to Club responsibility the emerging jets was being phased out from Under 11's and below.

With the Metro SAP the emerging jets 10's played against the metro SAP 11's teams and the 11's played the metro SAP 12's. There wasn't any intention to playing emerging jets vs the club SAP teams. The Metro SAP will only be Under 12's next year and will not exist in 2021 as the club SAP transition completes.

Potentially - the Jets academy will play in Sydney NPL next year in their age group which will also phase out the Under 12 jets teams as they will play in their age groups starting at Under 13's.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Ranger View Post
    Did you lecture one of the "humanities" subjects at Uni? Is that why you need to count with your fingers?
    I have degrees in Mathematics and Economics - My Phd was in Mathematics - I have lectured students from all faculties in humanities subjects. But back on track here Private School kids do better at high school than they do at University. Public School kids do better at University than they did at high school. Studies confirm this.

The more elite the private school the wider the gap between a students high school and university performance. Students from less financially endowed private schools tend to do a lot better than their elite cousins at University.

The reasoning here is that elite schools encourage students to do what they are good at and isolate / shelter them away from things they are not. Ultimately, these kids lack autonomy and the ability to grind when the odds are against them. The public school kids that manage to make it through to University are not strangers to adversity and often find University a breeze now that they are finally on an even playing field.

How this all relates to sport - watch the Wallabies in action.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 29-08-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Not really a surprise that Hunter Sports is the school. The TD works there along with every other teacher who also coaches an EJ team.

Also understand the reason for the move is to reduce costs to the Newcastle Jets, isn't going to cost them $20k/year like it would if they stayed at Speers Point
    This is factually incorrect.

I'm dying...so true.

I have degrees in Mathematics and Economics - My Phd was in Mathematics - I have lectured students from all faculties in humanities subjects. But back on track here Private School kids do better at high school than they do at University. Public School kids do better at University than they did at high school. Studies confirm this.

The more elite the private school the wider the gap between a students high school and university performance. Students from less financially endowed private schools tend to do a lot better than their elite cousins at University.

The reasoning here is that elite schools encourage students to do what they are good at and isolate / shelter them away from things they are not. Ultimately, these kids lack autonomy and the ability to grind when the odds are against them. The public school kids that manage to make it through to University are not strangers to adversity and often find University a breeze now that they are finally on an even playing field.

Some interesting points, although the makeup of the Wallabies is somewhat different than in previous years.
    I certainly don't share the dislike of private schools as many educators do, and wonder how and why anyone would be measuring the level of eliteness of a previous school in relation to results at Uni. But I accept that a public school student would have to be bright and able to work independently to get into many of the uni courses. But just as in football, if you don't get into the better programs to begin with you get left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    I think....... With the change in the SAP programs from Association to Club responsibility the emerging jets was being phased out from Under 11's and below.

With the Metro SAP the emerging jets 10's played against the metro SAP 11's teams and the 11's played the metro SAP 12's. There wasn't any intention to playing emerging jets vs the club SAP teams. The Metro SAP will only be Under 12's next year and will not exist in 2021 as the club SAP transition completes.

Potentially - the Jets academy will play in Sydney NPL next year in their age group which will also phase out the Under 12 jets teams as they will play in their age groups starting at Under 13's.
    So all these so called elite programs will revert back to clubs from now on?
    I don't know much about this stuff and just found names on the NNSW
    so the following all need to find club spots again?

EJ
    Macquarie Whites
    Macquarie Blues
    NNSW SAP Rangers
    NNSW SAP United
    many many more

EJ
    Macquarie Whites
    Macquarie Blues
    NNSW SAP Rangers
    NNSW SAP United
    many many more
    No, not exactly. They have a transition plan in place.

2018 Under 9 Premier Club SAP started.
    2018 Metro SAP was U/10's, 11's and 12's

2019 Premier Club SAP is Under 9's & 10's
    2019 Metro SAP is 11's and 12's

2020 Premier Club SAP is Under 9's, 10's & 11's
    2020 Metro SAP is Under 12's

2021 Premier Club SAP is Under 9's - 12's and the Metro (Association) SAP no longer exists.

The other points to this are:
    Emerging jets program no longer exists and will begin at Under 12's or 13's NPL depending on whether they play in Sydney or Newcastle NPL.

For girls:
    They will still play in Macquarie, Hunter or Macquarie teams and will compete 2 years up.
    e.g. Under 9 premier club SAP includes Under 11 teams from the above.

The emerging jets girls start at Under 11's and compete in the Premier Club SAP 1 year up.
    e.g. Under 10 premier club SAP includes Under 12 Association girls teams and Under 11 Emerging jets girls teams

I hope this make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Ranger View Post
    Some interesting points, although the makeup of the Wallabies is somewhat different than in previous years.
    I certainly don't share the dislike of private schools as many educators do, and wonder how and why anyone would be measuring the level of eliteness of a previous school in relation to results at Uni. But I accept that a public school student would have to be bright and able to work independently to get into many of the uni courses. But just as in football, if you don't get into the better programs to begin with you get left behind.
    Something I failed to mention is that the level of expectation on the elite / private school kids at University is much greater than on the public school kids. So in many respects they carry a burden that the public school kids do not.

With respect to better programs - once anyone gets into University their first semester results carry far more weight than their ATAR scores when it comes to courses available to them.

I'd hope it's a similar situation with football - but I fear that's probably not the case.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 29-08-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Yes Thank You

EJ
    Macquarie Whites
    Macquarie Blues
    NNSW SAP Rangers
    NNSW SAP United
    many many more
    Broadmeadow Magic has already trialed against the U12's Macquarie teams to pick the best for their 2020 npl 13's. So much for club junior development

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Broadmeadow Magic has already trialed against the U12's Macquarie teams to pick the best for their 2020 npl 13's. So much for club junior development
    Magic NET 12's trialed against Macquarie? or Magic NPL 13's?

Interested to know what the result in this was as I saw Macquarie and Newcastle SAP teams trialing against the combined NET squads at Wallarah and they were excellent games.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dawson View Post
    I know for a fact that NNSW are charging the Jets more in the vicinity of 200k to use Speers Point for academy training and games. Any reason they are getting out?.
    You answered your own question as to why they are getting out

Quote Originally Posted by JettyJet View Post
    This is factually incorrect.
    Which part? Is not Craig Deans the TD?

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    Magic NET 12's trialed against Macquarie? or Magic NPL 13's?

Interested to know what the result in this was as I saw Macquarie and Newcastle SAP teams trialing against the combined NET squads at Wallarah and they were excellent games.
    U12 Macquarie teams were dominant vs U12 Magic. Look at the U12 Metro SAP ladder and you find the 3 Macquarie teams coming 1st, 2nd and 5th respectively (out of 10 teams).

U12 Macquarie Select defeated U12 NET Select 6-1