Page 64 of 65 FirstFirst ... 145462636465 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1285

Thread: 2019/20 Squad

  1. #1261
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,800
    Donachie has been one of, if not, the best Aussie defenders in the league for the past couple of seasons. Great signing.

  2. #1262
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,800
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Hearts just got relegated. I wonder when we will be linked with Bozanic.
    I think we'd only link with bozanic if we passed up on ledley

  3. #1263
    aka WLG pv4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7,343
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjet View Post
    Donachie has been one of, if not, the best Aussie defenders in the league for the past couple of seasons. Great signing.
    I have seen him as the best defender in an otherwise garbage backline (which has been garbage since Delpierre left), but still no better than heaps of our current backup options.

    I would say NTS, Boogs, Wilkinson, Grant, Spira, Dura, Good are all aussie centre backs that would probably laugh at the thought that Donks is better than them.
    OK

  4. #1264
    Senior Member Frodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    2,846
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    I have seen him as the best defender in an otherwise garbage backline (which has been garbage since Delpierre left), but still no better than heaps of our current backup options.

    I would say NTS, Boogs, Wilkinson, Grant, Spira, Dura, Good are all aussie centre backs that would probably laugh at the thought that Donks is better than them.
    What?

    We have the 3rd worst defence but 2 of the best CBs in the league? You really going to type that nonsense out and show people? Our defence was terrible last season as well. Heck, even when we finished 2nd our defence was only a goal better than 6th place Brisbane who featured a 33 yr old Llama impersonator Avraam Papadopoulos. (In reference to his spitting, not his appearance. Just to clarify.)

    Don't forget this is 35 yr old NTS we are talking about now, he's not the great player he once was.

    Durante is a 38 yr old kiwi pensioner, so this one is obviously just for a laugh.

    Curtis Good is in a team that is currently 2nd place but has conceded more goals than 8th place Wanderers. His agent is honestly a freakin mastermind. How he has had the career he has given how little talent he has is astonishing.

    Wilkinson, Grant and Spira are all good players and would improve our team hugely. Not gonna argue there.


    But to anyone saying that Donachie isn't better than our current options, you have obviously spent the lockdown doing the smartest thing possible and forgetting how bad our team currently is. I am very proud of you all.
    Last edited by Frodo; 04-06-2020 at 08:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

  5. #1265
    Senior Member Frodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    2,846
    Also, can't imagine how much money the club would save if we managed to somehow offload Dimi? That's 4 salaries off the books in one move.

    Not saying it wouldn't hurt us on the pitch, cause no matter how much I bag the bloke he is still one of our better players, but he'd be earning good coin and we would have looked after his family as well. Give Maki's or Kosta's salary straight to Uga as a pay increase to keep him here and build a team around him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

  6. #1266
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,800
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    I have seen him as the best defender in an otherwise garbage backline (which has been garbage since Delpierre left), but still no better than heaps of our current backup options.

    I would say NTS, Boogs, Wilkinson, Grant, Spira, Dura, Good are all aussie centre backs that would probably laugh at the thought that Donks is better than them.
    Don't agree with much of that but our opinions mean sfa in the grand scheme of things.

  7. #1267
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by turbojetfireV8 View Post
    why Donachie? are we paying overs again for a so-so player? surely we could find a young upcoming prospect for cheaper to develop
    The man is invisible to the VAR.
    Superpowers must be taken into account when signing a player...

  8. #1268
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,674
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    I'll save Dunster the trouble.




    Last edited by The Dunster; 04-06-2020 at 10:54 AM.

  9. #1269
    Senior Member evolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    If you want to guess who our other transfer targets could be, the easiest way is to just read this list:
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/avid-s...a/berater/4959
    Almost spewed when I saw Janjetovic on that list

  10. #1270
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Also, can't imagine how much money the club would save if we managed to somehow offload Dimi? That's 4 salaries off the books in one move.

    Not saying it wouldn't hurt us on the pitch, cause no matter how much I bag the bloke he is still one of our better players, but he'd be earning good coin and we would have looked after his family as well. Give Maki's or Kosta's salary straight to Uga as a pay increase to keep him here and build a team around him.
    I think all four players being represented by the same agent might rule out this strategy.
    Besides that, Dimi is the heart and soul of our team/club - lose him and it's pretty much all over.

  11. #1271
    Senior Member Frodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    2,846
    To be fair to them. This Avid Group mob managed to convince Juventus to spend 400k a week for the honour of Aaron Ramsey coming off the bench every other week. Can only imagine what we must be paying them for the guys we've already have here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

  12. #1272
    Senior Member Frodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    2,846
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Besides that, Dimi is the heart and soul of our team/club
    This would explain our current plight so much better than i ever could, lmao.


    But seriously, he is nowhere near the heart of our team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

  13. #1273
    Senior Member StannyCFCJET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Newy
    Posts
    4,524
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    I think all four players being represented by the same agent might rule out this strategy.
    Besides that, Dimi is the heart and soul of our team/club - lose him and it's pretty much all over.
    Ugar is the heart and soul of our team all day every day

  14. #1274
    aka WLG pv4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7,343
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    We have the 3rd worst defence but 2 of the best CBs in the league?
    Yes. This has been our best CB partnership since Ljubo & NTS. And yes I genuinely believe all of those listed players are better than Donachie.

    I also strongly believe apart from a solid meme game, Donachie brings nothing to us that Jackson or JohnnyK can't at CB. Both are early-to-mid 20s as opposed to Donks heading into late 20s also. Donks is notoriously non-caring about preseason + training, and ability-wise should have hit his straps long ago if he ever was going to. If we're after a recycled AL journeyman I'd prefer we just brought Reegz back tbh.
    OK

  15. #1275
    Senior Member Frodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    2,846
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Yes. This has been our best CB partnership since Ljubo & NTS.
    I mean, thats not really much of an achievement if you look back at who we've had in between then and now at CB.. but there's no chance Boogs can be called a quality CB anymore. He's been good for us, but nowhere near the level of the other teams in the league.

    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    I also strongly believe apart from a solid meme game, Donachie brings nothing to us that Jackson or JohnnyK can't at CB. Both are early-to-mid 20s as opposed to Donks heading into late 20s also. Donks is notoriously non-caring about preseason + training, and ability-wise should have hit his straps long ago if he ever was going to. If we're after a recycled AL journeyman I'd prefer we just brought Reegz back tbh.
    Wow, now you're saying Donachie is on Johnny K and Jackson's level? That's just pure nonsense. That's pure Membah level nonsense. First we lose plague altogether and now PV4 has lost his mind. What is the world coming to?

    Even in a horrendous Victory side Donachie has looked solid. He was also doing great for them the year before he went to South Korea, and before that he was loved by Brisbane and only left them during their financial crisis in 2016 with the Bakries debacle. He's won a grand final, very dubiously as we all know, and he lost one the year before he went to South Korea. He's obviously a quality CB. I think even you know that deep down.

    Donachie would be a great signing for us if it happens. Him and Topor for a year will be so much stronger than one of Boogs or Jackson getting gametime. Then either Jackson can learn how to play properly or we find a Topor replacement next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

  16. #1276
    Senior Member StannyCFCJET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Newy
    Posts
    4,524
    Jackson has shown this season he's learned how to be a starter and would be starting if not for that injury

  17. #1277
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    2,053
    Donks v Jackson , Clearly Donks is the better player but if memory serves me correctly Jackson made a couple of " team of the week " inclusions which to me makes him more than serviceable in a CD role and with the potential for even further growth and improvement. If Donks came at a considerably higher price tag then could those monies be better spent at the other end of the park ?.

    I would even go so far as too say Jackson is a better player with the ball at feet. Donks is a put it in row z type of defender and that is about it, He should give the bloke he replaces a good run for his money in regards to his disciplinary record. Donks is no stranger to a card or ten.
    Last edited by 380; 04-06-2020 at 04:48 PM.

  18. #1278
    Senior Member Frodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    2,846
    Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Donks v Jackson , Clearly Donks is the better player but if memory serves me correctly Jackson made a couple of " team of the week " inclusions which to me makes him more than serviceable in a CD role and with the potential for even further growth and improvement. If Donks came at a considerably higher price tag then could those monies be better spent at the other end of the park ?.

    I would even go so far as too say Jackson is a better player with the ball at feet. Donks is a put it in row z type of defender and that is about it, He should give the bloke he replaces a good run for his money in regards to his disciplinary record. Donks is no stranger to a card or ten.
    Donachie has an ever so slightly better passing percentage to Jackson, Donachie also has a higher number of completed passes. Jackson has the edge in long passes. Donachie completes more crosses and key passes tho. So i'd say he is the better player on the ball. Donachie is also much better at intercepting passes. Block percentages are similar.

    Jackson is of course stronger in the air and his tackle success rate is suprisingly high. Although he attempts a lot less tackles than James. Donachie does concede more fouls and gets more cards than Jackson. Jackson has way more clearances per 90 than Donachie, which again shows that Donachie is the better of the two on the ball.

    But Jackson needs to be saved way too many times for poor positioning to be considered on Donachie or Topor's level just yet. He really needs to improve his focus over 90 mins if he wants to be a starter in the A league.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

  19. #1279

  20. #1280
    Senior Member turbojetfireV8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,730
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •