Page 69 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1988

Thread: 2019/20 Squad

Another one gone...

English League One club Shrewsbury Town have won the race to sign Newcastle Jets right-back Matt Millar.

UPDATED 10 HOURS AGO
    BY JOHN DAVIDSON

The World Game understands Shrewsbury have beaten Portsmouth to land the right-sided utility on loan before the end of the transfer window.

Millar is expected to leave Australia and arrive in the UK next week.

The Shrews, managed by former Hull City and Bolton Wanderers defender Sam Ricketts, currently sit 20th in League One, just above the relegation zone.

They have notched two draws and one defeat in their three league fixtures so far this season.

Millar joined Newcastle from the Central Coast Mariners in 2019 and is off-contract at McDonald Jones Stadium at the end of the 2020-2021 campaign.

The 24-year-old originally hails from Victoria and spent his youth career with Dandenong Thunder and Melbourne City.

After being released by City in 2016, he rebuilt his career in the NPL with South Melbourne. After two years with South he was signed by the Mariners in 2018.

Able to play at right back and right midfield, Millar scored four goals and set up three others in 24 appearances for the Jets last season.

The utility is another player to have left Newcastle in recent weeks, following James Donachie, Dimi Petratos and Abdiel Arroyo in moves to overseas clubs.

Millar holds a British passport, making for an easier switch to the UK.

Both Shrewsbury and Newcastle had not responded to a request for comment by The World Game at the time of writing.

SOURCE SBS THE WORLD GAME
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Makes you wonder if there is actually going to be a league this year...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Makes you wonder if there is actually going to be a league this year...
    Looks like salary cap is only going to be 2/3rd of previous year, hence the Jets have loaned out Miller and Donachie. You would have to think a few NPL players will be playing A league this year as cheap alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by anfield View Post
    Looks like salary cap is only going to be 2/3rd of previous year, hence the Jets have loaned out Miller and Donachie. You would have to think a few NPL players will be playing A league this year as cheap alternatives.
    For so many years I have been hearing people tell me the gap between the AL and NPL isn't that big.. so I can't wait for the obvious, massive quality dip on the field next year to prove them wrong.
    OK

We've seen the gap between the NPL and AL first hand and multiple times, its only NPL diehards sticking to that narrative.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

No start date, no competition format, no broadcast deal post July 2021, no money and losing players.

If they aren’t careful, this could see the end of the a league as we know it.

I don’t know what they can do, but it’ll be an interesting 2 years.
    2022 World Cup becomes very important, as does the women’s WC.

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    We've seen the gap between the NPL and AL first hand and multiple times, its only NPL diehards sticking to that narrative.
    So...... you're saying if you are playing in NPL then you have no chance of playing AL, That would mean that a 2nd div is a waste of time?
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

There are 2 ways this could go. Crap standard of football, no crowds, no tv numbers and a heap of players that can't step up to A league level.
    Or players step up, interest is there and a new revolution is created.
    After all football has big participation numbers, surely there is talent to fill the gaps??

Quote Originally Posted by My2BobsWorth View Post
    So...... you're saying if you are playing in NPL then you have no chance of playing AL, That would mean that a 2nd div is a waste of time?
    No, far from it mate. Im saying the step up between the two is currently massive, and most of the players who have tried in recent times havent succeeded.
    This is more of an argument for professionalising the second division and bringing the standard closer to the AL, not less.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    No, far from it mate. Im saying the step up between the two is currently massive, and most of the players who have tried in recent times havent succeeded.
    This is more of an argument for professionalising the second division and bringing the standard closer to the AL, not less.
    I think the 2nd division is a long way off, the standard of players running around in A league next season will be ordinary and a lot of local players might get a chance, meaning a second division from player standard would be even weaker

Looks like our assistant coach Darren Bazeley is out the door, returning to a role at NZ Football..

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Looks like our assistant coach Darren Bazeley is out the door, returning to a role at NZ Football..
    That was quick
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Joey C to do the Roar......no further comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Charman View Post
    Joey C to do the Roar......no further comment.
    ?

I often wonder if other clubs get screwed over like we do.
    Obviously there’s some confirmation bias cause we know our ex players and the circumstances they leave, and the sob stories and promises they give. But we don’t know what victory, perf or roar etc players say when they leave or the circumstances they leave.

Just makes me think we have soft management that’s too “nice guy” and get taken for a ride every year.
    I mean, didn’t these exact questions get posed when JOWIC left? I thought we tied him down with a contract so that if he ever tried to play in the next few years, he would have to negotiate a release or come back to us.
    Did that contract expire? Or did nobody care?

"He might be in the US for six months, he might be there for a year, he might never come back to play football," McKinna said.

"But we thought it was important for the Newcastle Jets to have him signed up, so if he does come back he comes back to Newcastle and not to another club.

- august 2019

Maybe Carl came in and thought the whole thing was a farce and said **** him.

Hang on.....just read the tweet, says he was seen training in a Brisbane gym by a Roar fan.

That's where his family is right?
    He is ex Brisbane Youth.
    The border is closed so can't travel down here and back easy.
    May just be on a break from c-rap.
    Doesn't say anything about signing with anyone.

Last edited by Jetmaster; 08-10-2020 at 02:44 PM.
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

we've signed Ramy Najjarine on a one season loan deal from melb city

Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    we've signed Ramy Najjarine on a one season loan deal from melb city
    Happy with this, especially in the current football climate. Wouldn't mind him dragging connor metcalfe up with him