Page 61 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1988

Thread: 2019/20 Squad

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    We should be more concerned that the player makes a speedy recovery rather than act like a group of 14 year old girls gossiping about who it may or may not be.
    This.

Why do we need to know who it is? Answer - we don't!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Do you just read the first few words of a reply?

Roy, wessi, arroyo and the rest of our squad minus Ledley and burns are left as candidates.
    Don’t have to have the Travelled overseas to contract it.
    And being that the test was done so the person can leave the country....That rules all the Australians in the squad out of the equation

You know why??

None of us can leave the country at the moment

All Skips are subject to a travel ban thanks to Corona

Foreigners are not subject to this and can leave the country

Plenty of articles stating the test was done for someone wanting to leave the country

Being the season only got wrapped up Tuesday morning and Australia was on DO NOT TRAVEL code 4 at that point in time the chances of an Aussie wanting to get out of the country are a trillion to one

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    This.

Why do we need to know who it is? Answer - we don't!
    As an easy eg I saw someone comment on facebook that they were near Dimi at shops or similar last week. For the few people that have dealt with any of the players in this last 2-3 weeks, it at least helps them know if they came into contact with them or not. I'm sure there are heaps of people that have served the players at shops etc, who is to know if they did or didn't contact the person with the virus?

Lawrie's direct quote is the player was involved in the Melbourne City game but made no mention of the Roar game. I can't figure out why he would not mention the Roar game, unless the guy actually didn't play in the game.

I therefore conclude it is Glen Moss, and he was attempting to fly back to NZ.

Whoever it is, I hope they do not get too badly ill from it and have not spread it.

What I am disturbed about the most is all people involved in both the City and Roar games aren't forced to isolate already, this makes no sense to me and I'm surprised how chill the health services are being about this. Just lock us down already.
    Last edited by pv4; 30-03-2020 at 09:41 AM.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    As an easy eg I saw someone comment on facebook that they were near Dimi at shops or similar last week. For the few people that have dealt with any of the players in this last 2-3 weeks, it at least helps them know if they came into contact with them or not. I'm sure there are heaps of people that have served the players at shops etc, who is to know if they did or didn't contact the person with the virus?

Lawrie's direct quote is the player was involved in the Melbourne City game but made no mention of the Roar game. I can't figure out why he would not mention the Roar game, unless the guy actually didn't play in the game.

Whoever it is, I hope they do not get too badly ill from it and have not spread it.

What I am disturbed about the most is all people involved in both the City and Roar games aren't forced to isolate already, this makes no sense to me and I'm surprised how chill the health services are being about this. Just lock us down already.

Agree.
    Privacy is important, but public health is more important.
    There can't be overreaction to this.
    Being positive to COVID-19 is not a stigma, but knowing who is positive can help preventing the spread -> saving lives.
    Names of positive players have been made public in Europe and other parts of the world, and no one complained.

Quote Originally Posted by mic22 View Post
    Agree.
    Privacy is important, but public health is more important.
    There can't be overreaction to this.
    Being positive to COVID-19 is not a stigma, but knowing who is positive can help preventing the spread -> saving lives.
    Names of positive players have been made public in Europe and other parts of the world, and no one complained.
    None of us can turn sideways without being asked "HAVE YOU COME INTO CONTACT WITH A CASE" and none of us can actually answer this accurately. Privacy is out the window in this current climate.
    OK

It's very weird that we know who the Chelsea player who got coronavirus was but we don't know who the Newcastle Jets player is? We know that Tom hanks and Boris Johnson have it, but we don't know who the jets player is.
    It's a virus, they haven't murdered anyone so I don't know why they haven't been mentioned.

But how do we know all that? Boris and tom told us. Did the chelsea player or the club reveal it? That's the difference in my books.

Banned

What is the most disturbing part about this is how cheaply you are happy to let the authorities take your civil liberties

You are begging them to take them

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    But how do we know all that? Boris and tom told us. Did the chelsea player or the club reveal it? That's the difference in my books.
    Pretty sure the club announced it first
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

If you Google "Newcastle Jets Coronavirus" and scroll down a few results, SMH mentions a player in the Google link (but the actual article still says unnamed player)

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    If you Google "Newcastle Jets Coronavirus" and scroll down a few results, SMH mentions a player in the Google link (but the actual article still says unnamed player)
    Wow, that's ... amateurish. And unlawful.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    What is the most disturbing part about this is how cheaply you are happy to let the authorities take your civil liberties

You are begging them to take them
    But to get this right, everyone asking if I've been in contact with a case of it is cool to poke and prod me for that information, right?
    OK

Banned
    But to get this right, everyone asking if I've been in contact with a case of it is cool to poke and prod me for that information, right?
    Well I wouldn't ask you for that info because I quite frankly think we are being conned here

If this thing was a legit threat they be mass testing everyone

But they ain't

parksey and gallaway's stillborn child la bazzle's Avatar
    Didn't they say the player wasn't showing any symptoms? If that's the case and given the time frames, none of those players in the other teams would be considered close contacts (by definition of tracking/isolating etc).

More sponsor news than team news, but anyway:

APRIL 3 2020 - 6:00PM
    A-League : Inspirations Paint to continue support for Jets
    James gardiner
    Newcastle Jets

INSPIRATIONS Paint are the Newcastle Jets' longest-running front-of-shirt sponsor and the national company have vowed to stick with the A-League club during to VOVID-19 crisis.

Inspirations Paint has appeared on the front of the Jets' away strip, in a deal believed to be worth six-figures a year, for the past five seasons. They have another year to run on the current three-year arrangement and will be honouring that contract.

"Inspirations Paint is completely understanding that the season had to be cut short in the interests of health," head of marketting Joel Goodsir said. "We were happy to have most of the season behind us.

"We are really happy with out relationship with the Jets. I had a phone call from [Jets CEO] Lawrie McKinna over a week ago when all this was happening to keep us up to date."

The A-League is postponed until at least April 22. But the chances of the competition resuming in the next two months appear remote.

The Jets this week stood down players and staff, amid growing uncertainty over the broadcast rights deal. Foxtel were due to pay the latest quarterly installment to Football Federation Australia this week. That money, about $12 million, is distributed to the clubs and is used to pay player and staff wages,

The Jets this week also McDonalds as a major partner.

However, in welcomed news to the club, Inspirations Paint, which has a network of 135 stores, are looking to extend their relationship.

"We sponsor the Jets out of the national marketing fund, which all stores contribute towards," Goodsir said. "At this stage, I certainly see it continuing. It could change it's shape and form, but there is no reason not to continue the relationship.

"All the marketing theories show that longer sport sponsorships work better. It takes a lot of repetition for people to join the dots because they are focused on the game. Perth Glory had QBE as their major sponsor for 10 years. You think back to the NRL teams you followed as a kid and you can normally remember which company was on the front of the jerseys - Pirtek on Paramatta jumpers.

"We get a lot of good support from Hunter residents and up the coast at our stores as high as Grafton. The fans are so appreciative. They literally get on twitter and thank us for our support."
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Boogs on current situation:

APRIL 4 2020 - 10:00AM
    A-League: Jets skipper calls for unity to conquer crisis
    James Gardiner

JETS captain Nigel Boogaard has urged the game's decision makers to involve all stakeholders, including players, when they map out the future of the sport in Australia.

But for now, Boogaard is focused on maintaining his fitness levels in the hope that the A-League resumes in the next two months.

The national league is in the balance after the competition was postponed 12 days ago due to the worsening COVID-19 pandemic. The situation will be reviewed on April 22.

The league is underpinned by a $56 million broadcast deal with Foxtel. Without any games to televise, the pay TV company are yet to cough up the latest $12 million quarterly installment, which is carved and distributed to the clubs to cover wages.

The longer the league is held up, the greater the financial pressure on clubs.

The Jets were among seven clubs this week to stand down players and staff without pay.

"We knew once a few clubs headed in that direction it was inevitable," Boogaard said. "The club have kept us as informed as much as they could throughout the process. There is so much up in the air. We just have to sit and wait and see how everything pans out.

"As players we have to do the right thing by the game. For us, the right thing is to keep training and make sure if we go back and play, that we are ready to do so. Ultimately, that is what we are here to do."

Boogaard, like all of his teammates, has set up a home gym and is training in the back yard.

"As a playing group, we are trying to stay fit," Boogaard said. "The club has done the right thing and given us training programs to maintain fitness. The back deck is covered with kids' toys, there is spin bike in the corner with some kettle bells and a bit of a made up gym."

As well as being stood down, the Jets had one of their squad test positive to COVID-19. The player, who is in self isolation, was asymptomatic.

No other players have shown symptoms yet but Boogaard said they were aware of their responsibilities to the community and were following strict protocols.

The Professional Footballers Australia players union have threatened legal action against the owners if the players are not reinstated.

Football Federation Australia boss James Johnson this week called for unity and the end of self interest to get through the crisis.

Boogaard, who is a member of the PFA executive, echoed that sentiment.

"With any decisions involving the league, I think the stakeholders should come together to work towards a solution," Boogaard said. "That would only benefit everyone. There is lot up in the air for the next two months. But what does the game look like for the next three years, five years, 10 years. That is the uncertainty. All stakeholders need to come together and discuss what it is going to look like and where things need to change.

"Whether people are willing to compromise and go from there. The PFA should be at the table. Ideally we would be in a position to ride this pandemic out but unfortunately we are in a position that we are."

Boogaard is one of eight Jets off contract and among 120 players with an uncertain future after May 31, when arrangements currently end.

"I am waiting to see what happens in the next two months," he said. "There is obviously a big decision to make on April 22 to see what happens with the league moving forward. I suppose there is a lot of things to play out beyond that. If they decide to push the league back and it is still the same competition, there will be 120 players off contract. How do they fit into that? There are too many permutations to think beyond these next few weeks. Then we reassess and go from there."

NBN talking to Burns back in N Ire

https://video.nbnnews.com.au/bobbyburns020420.mp4

Not going to just share the link to FTBL as it made me answer an ad sponsor's survey before I could even read the article, which pissed me right off...

Burns: Playing games behind closed doors was awful
    BURNS: PLAYING GAMES BEHIND CLOSED DOORS WAS AWFUL
    By John Davidson Apr 5 2020 10:38PM
    Bobby Burns says playing games behind closed doors was "awful" and the rushed ending of the A-League season "didn't make sense".
    Burns has departed the Newcastle Jets and returned to Europe after the season was shutdown because of the Coronavirus.

The Irishman played 16 matches for the Jets on loan from Hearts.

Burns admits playing games behind closed doors was the "worst experience" of his career.

"Initially, I thought we would get the league finished," he told The Irish News.

"We played games behind closed doors but it was awful. It was the worst football experience I’ve had. It’s funny because I played in school games for St Malachy’s when there was nobody watching…

"It was maybe because we were playing games in these huge stadiums. It also looked terrible because we were the only league playing matches at that stage whereas everywhere else had stopped.

"The reason the league was shut down was because there were border restrictions from state to state. So you can’t travel from Brisbane to, say, Sydney, so that causes huge problems.

"The week before it was called off we flew from Sydney to Adelaide, came back and flew to the Gold Coast to play Brisbane. We were in five airports in a week during a global pandemic. It didn’t make sense."

But Burns loved his time in Australia, despite the abrupt ending.

“It was how quickly things stopped. We were training for a game on Monday and it was shut just like that and everybody was trying to get flights home on the Wednesday," the defender said.

"It was a very sad way to go because I loved my time in Australia. There were so many things I wanted to do. And I didn’t get the chance to say goodbye to a lot of people because you didn’t want to be in contact with them.

"I’ve a lot of friends from the Catholic Church near where I was living, but a lot of them are elderly and the last thing I wanted to do was be near them."

The Hoff

APRIL 7 2020 - 6:00AM
    Newcastle Jets: Utility player, Jason Hoffman, on learning curve during Newcastle Jets' hiatus
    JAMES GARDINER
    Local Sport

JETS utility Jason Hoffman learnt early on that job security was a short-term prospect in football.

The events of the past fortnight have only strengthened that theory.

The Jets players and staff were stood down last Wednesday as the financial pain from the COVID-19 pandemic bit hard.

The Jets have registered for the government's Jobkeeper allowance for all employees, which will ease the financial burden by $750 a week.

The players are continuing to follow individual programs in the hope of playing the final four games.

On Monday, they did a pilates session together on the Zoom conferencing app.

"Scotty Thomas got us going with some pilates work and then we stayed on-line and had a chat to one another," Hoffman said.

While Hoffman signed a two-year extension and hopes to be back on the pitch as soon as possible, he is using the down time to think about his future.

The 31-year-old is studying a business degree, majoring in sports management, but is considering changing focus to education.

"The past few weeks have been a wake-up call," he said. "Job security has always been a short-term prospect as a footballer. When times get really tough there is no real security at all. If I can prepare myself for when I transition out of the game, hopefully on my own terms, I will be in a job that is secure and I can enjoy my lifestyle. My sister is a teacher, my mum was a teacher, my mother-in-law is a teacher. I have six weeks to make a decision and see if I can get some credit to switch across."

In the meantime, Hoffman is maintaining fitness and doing projects around the house.

"We have a program and a lot of it is position specific," Hoffman said. "I was training with Dimi [Petratos] at Ford Oval. Now that we have to train on our own, I have been heading to a local park. There is a brick wall there which means I can work on my passing. There is a lot of skill work, juggling the ball and things like that. We are also ticking the boxes on fitness. We want to make sure we are doing enough to maintain our fitness levels so that if we get the green light, we can be ready to go."

" While Hoffman signed a two-year extension and hopes to be back on the pitch as soon as possible, he is using the down time to think about his future.

The 31-year-old is studying a business degree, majoring in sports management, but is considering changing focus to education."

Is there a chance Hoff has been told by Robbo his chances of game time next season are next to nothing ?. From memory his extension was done about the same time as Kanta's a acouple of months before Robbo's appointment.