Page 21 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019/20 Squad

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Article in The Herald from Gardiner confirms the clubs are in talks with Wessi.

It also stated the club is only planning to use 20/23 full contracted squad spots available, and only 3/9 scholarship contracted squad spots available. Heading into the season with 23/32 possible players sounds very risky to me.

If Nabbout's agent was telling the truth that we only had 250k to throw at the remaining 4 squad spots possible, you'd think we've just thrown caution to the wind and offered it all to Wes here.

Honestly I'm going to be really annoyed if/when Lawrie & Ernie whinge about an injury or two hurting us this year. Our squad is IMO too thin to be heading into a season with.
    We're no strangers to club, you know the rules and so do i. A full commitments what i'm thinking of and you wouldn't get this from any other club.

Terrific signing if true. Didn't play much for the baggies last year but they've got a stacked midfield.. & 2 shit managers.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/jets...-league-player

No new info, basically just what lil_masi said earlier..

NEWCASTLE Jets are in talks with former Irish international and Norwich City captain Wes Hoolahan.

The 37-year-old midfielder, who captained the Canaries in the Premier League and was their player of the season two years ago, played for West Bromwich Albion in the English Championship

The classy No.10 had been training with Cambridge United in England but appears poised to move to the A-League, with the Jets the frontrunner.

Hoolahan was close to joining Warren Joyce at Melbourne City last season and the Jets confirmed on Thursday that they were in discussions with the classy playmaker.

READ MORE: Newcastle Jets news

Cambridge United manager Collin Calderwood was hopeful of signing the veteran after he impressed in trials against Glasgow Rangers, Leicester and Ipswich but told the Irish Sun newspaper that he believed Hoolahan was headed to Australia.

"There's a nice opportunity for him, we've got no hold on him," Calderwood said. "We wish him all the best, it's a blow for us. Every indication was that he was going to be a very important factor in helping us achieve what we want to achieve this season. I really enjoyed having him around the environment and he's definitely helped everyone."

Hoolahan earned 43 caps for Ireland, scored their opening goal against Sweden at the 2016 European Championship and wore the skipper's armband under Roy Keane.

He has spent the majority of his career at Norwich, where he was known as the Irish Messi or Wessi, and scored 47 goals in 323 games in 10 years at Carrow Road.

Former Newcastle United coach and Norwich legend Ian Crook is understood to have a high opinion of Hoolahan and spoke to him about joining Western Sydney Wanderers previously.

Hoolahan made 10 appearances for West Brom in the English Championship last season. Although in the twilight of his career, Hoolahan is extremely fit and only retired from international football in 2018.

Football Association of Ireland CEO John Delaney praised the impact that Hoolahan had during his time with Ireland and described him as a 'role model' for young players.

"There is no doubt in my mind that Wes Hoolahan will be remembered as one of the most technically gifted players ever to pull on the Ireland jersey," Delaney said.

The Jets, who plan to go with a squad of 20 senior and three scholarship players, have one place to fill on the roster.

Just fyi.

The gap between the Championship and A-League is massive. The jets might have actually got something right for a change.
    The question is why did he sign for the Jets ? What could we possibly have offered him that others didn't ? [because he definitely would have got offers from other clubs].
    Last edited by The Dunster; 02-08-2019 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    The gap between the Championship and A-League is massive. The jets might have actually got something right for a change.
    The question is why did he sign for the Jets ? What could we possibly have offered him that others didn't ? [because he definitely would have got offers from other clubs].
    Don't overlook the Sea change factor. Plenty from old blightey have a soft spot for Aus and would be keen to have a go over here in their twilight years.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    It says in talks

So he now signed and sealed or is this just more Terry Venabeles like BS from the club to paper over the reality we going in with little strengthening AGAIN??

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    It says in talks

So he now signed and sealed or is this just more Terry Venabeles like BS from the club to paper over the reality we going in with little strengthening AGAIN??
    You have answered your own question - we are in talks and interested. That isn't BS.

Good news if we can actually pull it off.
    Can’t say that’s a terrible signing.

Do I think it’ll come through?
    Probs not.
    (Hopefully reverse psychology will work)

We're going to get dumpstered this season with or without him. Doesn't matter.

Forgot to post this the other night, Fitzgerald on joining the team:

http://video.nbnnews.com.au/jetsfitzgeraldnew020819.mp4
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Reports Wes has agreed terms and flying in for medical

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjet View Post
    Reports Wes has agreed terms and flying in for a knee reconstruction

fixed it for you.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Wes Hoolahan has been announced.

The Newcastle Jets can exclusively reveal to it's Members that former Irish international and Norwich City legend, Wes Hoolahan, has signed a one-year-deal!

Hoolahan is a 43-time Ireland international, with more than 350 appearances for Norwich City throughout their time in the English Premier League, Championship, and League One.

“It’s always been a dream of mine to play abroad and I’m delighted that I’ll be playing in Newcastle this season,” Hoolahan said.

“There are some quality players throughout the league and I’m looking forward to testing myself in a new environment.

“I’m really excited to be coming to Newcastle, it’s an entirely new challenge for me and I can’t wait to get started.”

https://www.newcastlejets.com.au/new...igns-newcastle

Well, we got there..
    Not sure what to make of his age, but have heard a lot of talk that he's still got it.. (Well, for this league he should)
    Last edited by Bon; 09-08-2019 at 11:27 AM.

Geez almost parity between his international appearances and age.

Any word on Jowic and if we will see him back here soon?
    Or is it all parties and hoes over in LA?

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Well, we got there..
    Not sure what to make of his age, but have heard a lot of talk that he's still got it.. (Well, for this league he should)
    If he's 10% the player he used to be that will be more than enough to destroy our opposition.

I know he got an extension to his stay, not sure how long

Isnt he back down under?
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight