Page 28 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019/20 Squad

how good a club are we that we get not one, but TWO episodes of the Jason Cullina experience.

Suck on that other A-League clubs!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Newcastle Jets reload in search for attacking weapon

Craig Kerry

Local Sport

Jets coach Ernie Merrick believes he has the squad and a proven strategy to fall back on after the loss of star playmaker Wes Hoolahan but says the club will look for an injury replacement.

Hoolahan is not expected back until 2020 after having surgery on Monday on his right ankle following major ligament and cartilage damage from a tackle in the FFA Cup loss to Adelaide.

"It is a shame, it's a pretty bad injury," Merrick said. "He won't be available until the new year, probably January some time. Still, he'll be a strong influence around the team and certainly helping the more inexperienced, younger players, but it is a big blow and he's coping with it pretty well.

"I did speak to him after the operation and he's pretty keen to come back and help us with a run into the finals, and he was pretty upbeat.

"But obviously he must be hurting a little bit, just from being out here, playing well, the season hasn't started and he gets a bad injury, so it's pretty tough on him."

The Irishman is the Jets' biggest signing for 2019-20 and gives them a second No.10 alongside Dimi Petratos. While Merrick said the loss of Hoolahan will change the Jets' strategy, he was confident they could adjust.

"We've got back-up players so we won't change too much," he said. "He was virtually a second No.10, so we'll go back to a traditional wide player now. It might be Jason [Hoffman], it might be Gus [Thurgate], it might be Kaine [Sheppard], but it doesn't change things too much for us, we've got cover.

"We've really played with that style for two years. When you are setting up your structures and formation, you've got to play to the strengths that you have ... we'll go back to a more traditional three, which got us into a grand final [in 2018]."

As for an injury replacement for Hoolahan, Merrick said the Jets were "always looking to fill gaps and find the right people at the right time".

"I would never say that we wouldn't be looking for a long-term replacement for this season, but the option is always there," he said.

"It's something that Lawrie [McKinna], Joel [Griffiths] and I do constantly. Is there someone that can come in short-term?

"There's no names there yet, but 12 months of the year you are really recruiting for this type of situation.

"We've got space in the squad obviously and we've got the finance, I think, so we'll certainly be looking at, is there's someone out there who can fit the bill?

"It's ideal to pick all of your squad early on, which we did with 95 per cent of the squad. Now we've got Bobby Burns and someone like Bobby pops just up, and you go, 'whoa, what a good signing he is', and because it's this time of the year, they're less money, you are not paying for 12 months.

"Sometimes someone is disillusioned with where he is at, or he comes back from overseas, or he's not getting a game with an A-League club, so sometimes they just pop up."

Jets chief Lawrie McKinna said: "We'll see what we can come up with. This time of the year, most players are locked in, but we'll try."

No names....I am filled with confidence.

Lewis Holtby *cough*

Scratch that - signed for Blackburn 5 days ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Stephen Ireland? Yoann Gourcuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Stephen Ireland? Yoann Gourcuff?
    Jamie Ward, Matt Jarvis, Simon dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Stephen Ireland?
    If Ireland promises to bring his extensive collection of cars with awful pink trim out here to drive the streets of Newy I'll personally pick him up from the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjet View Post
    Matt Jarvis, Simon dawkins
    Deadset read that as matt simon.

Sheppard is out until Jan/Feb now.

Can't wait to see who we sign as injury replacements for Wes and Sheps... oh wait.

Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    Sheppard is out until Jan/Feb now.

Can't wait to see who we sign as injury replacements for Wes and Sheps... oh wait.
    If they can re-build him so he comes back a better player that would be great thanks Jets...

NBN tonight:

http://video.nbnnews.com.au/aleaguelaunch081019.mp4

Red Aids and us with no major sponsor on shirt fronts? Was wondering if this is because we are waiting to finalise something, or whether we really do not have a major sponsor??

Quote Originally Posted by turbojetfireV8 View Post
    NBN tonight:

http://video.nbnnews.com.au/aleaguelaunch081019.mp4

Red Aids and us with no major sponsor on shirt fronts? Was wondering if this is because we are waiting to finalise something, or whether we really do not have a major sponsor??
    Lawrie explains on the pod.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Worth noting Lawrie said a lot of the teams are struggling to find front of shirt sponsors.

Yet only ADL and us are left..
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Thanks JM, started listening the other day but didn't get to that part, only listened to the rest today. I'd really prefer the idea that Lawrie is just being cagey about a new sponsor, but I'm seriously worried we really haven't got anyone on track to wanna be on our shirt, gotta say I think it's a major fail if that's the case

Quote Originally Posted by turbojetfireV8 View Post
    I'd really prefer the idea that Lawrie is just being cagey
    the last few years has shown everyone that 'cagey' is a truly generous word to describe his behaviour.

we dont have a sponsor because he cant get us a sponsor. its a simple as that.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    the last few years has shown everyone that 'cagey' is a truly generous word to describe his behaviour.

we dont have a sponsor because he cant get us a sponsor. its a simple as that.
    The price is quite high I assume.

They don't want to lower it because once it's lowered, no one will want to pay the same again...

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    The price is quite high I assume.

They don't want to lower it because once it's lowered, no one will want to pay the same again...
    Oh I don't disagree that you can't just give it away.

But.

We don't have a sponsor.
    His job is to get is a sponsor.
    He hasn't done the job.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Oh I don't disagree that you can't just give it away.

But.

We don't have a sponsor.
    His job is to get is a sponsor.
    He hasn't done the job.
    Maybe the sponsor wanted to pay online rather than in person with a cheque, and it all fell over there.
    OK