Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 98

Thread: FFA Cup 2019/20

  1. #41
    Senior Member turbojetfireV8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,586
    NBN McBreen on Edgy playing Jets
    http://video.nbnnews.com.au/jetseaglespre190819.mp4
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

  2. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Port mac
    Posts
    43
    From the Herald

    FFA Cup: Edgeworth dare to dream of upset over Newcastle Jets

    CRAIG KERRY

    Local Sport




    Edgeworth coach Damian Zane believes an upset over the Newcastle Jets on Wednesday night is "attainable" and the A-League club's depleted defensive stocks "might even things up a bit" in the history-making FFA Cup clash.

    The Eagles host the Jets at Jack McLaughlan Oval in the televised round of 16 match, which will be the first cup game with a Hunter team against the region's flagship side. The winner will also become the first from northern NSW to make the last eight in the nationwide knockout.

    Edgeworth will be long odds to topple the Jets but they loom as the biggest challenge locally for the club.

    Under Zane, the Eagles have claimed the past four NNSW NPL premierships, won two of four grand finals, made the national NPL decider in 2016 and been to the cup's round of 16 twice. They lost 5-1 to Western Sydney Wanderers in the last 16 in 2016, a year after going down 2-1 to Melbourne City and a late Aaron Mooy free kick in the round of 32.

    Zane, though, said taking on the Jets at home was "the biggest game we've had" and one they could win.

    "It's bigger than any grand final," Zane said.

    "I think it's bigger than the Western Sydney game for the simple fact it's the Jets. The NPL final was big, but making the last eight in Australia in the cup would be bigger than that. You are talking A-League teams and everything, and I think it's attainable too."

    Edgeworth are second in the NNSW NPL with a round to play and an outside chance of a record 13th top-division title. Their recent success has been built on defence and discipline and Zane believed those attributes would hold them in good stead against the Jets, who have defenders Nigel Boogaard, Nikolai Topor-Stanley, Lachlan Jackson and Ben Kantarovski sidelined.

    "If they've got a couple out at the back ... probably our strength is our defence, and their strength is their attack," Zane said.

    "So if Topor doesn't play, and Lachy Jackson is battling ... they are good defenders you are talking about, so that might even things up a bit.

    "We're a pretty disciplined team and when you come into these big games, that's the key. You've got to be disciplined for 90 minutes, not just when you like.

    "If you're not, then there's those little times when they make you pay. That's why they are at that next level."

    He also believed his side were better placed to challenge A-League opposition this time around.

    "When we played Western Sydney, they were in full swing," he said. "They had Asian Champions League qualifiers to come and they were quite advanced.

    "It's earlier this time. Last time we played them in grand final week. They are professionals and each week they get fitter and sharper, so each week earlier you can play them, the better."

    Edgeworth will also take heart from a 1-0 loss to the Jets in a friendly on July 27 at Jack McLaughlan Oval in which the Eagles were missing Sam Maxwell, Daniel McBreen, Josh Rose, Tyson Jackson and Keanu Moore. All return for the cup game.

    "I think [Wes] Hoolahan and [Abdiel] Arroyo will play, so they will be better as well," Zane said of the Jets.

    "It's hard to be critical of the guys that day because they did an amazing job ... but on paper we'll definitely have a better team than we did. At the same time, the Jets have had a month since then, so they go up a few gears and I thought they were quite decent against Victory."

    "We've shown we can give a good account of ourselves. We've played A-League teams in trial games and acquitted ourselves well.

    "I just watched the video of the Melbourne City game, and it just sinks in that we were so close to having a draw.

    "And I reckon we would have got them in extra time.

    "The Western Sydney game got a bit out of hand, and there were some things I probably would have done differently. Even that game, we got to 10 minutes from halftime and it was nil-all and we conceded from a set piece.

    "I think we're good at keeping ourselves in games, and that's the key when you're playing better opponents."

    While the Jets have injury concerns, Edgeworth are well understrength on their best line-up this season.

    Mitch Dobson and Jose Atayde are overseas, leading scorer Oliver Smith is suspended, experienced defenders Dom Bizzarri (knee - season) and Josh Evans (away) are missing and top goalkeeper Nate Cavaliere (hand - season) is also sidelined.

  3. #43
    Senior Member Couscous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Worldwide culinary phenomenon
    Posts
    1,170
    The Jets have a good chance. Our coach is better.

  4. #44
    Senior Member turbojetfireV8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,586
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

  5. #45
    Senior Member turbojetfireV8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,586
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

  6. #46
    Senior Member Couscous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Worldwide culinary phenomenon
    Posts
    1,170
    Big mood in here.

  7. #47
    infant member plague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13,577
    ground/crowd looked fantastic on the telly.
    well done Edgy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

  8. #48
    infant member plague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13,577
    Player ratings (out of 10):
    keeper: -40, got beat by a 42 year old. resign and retire son, its over.
    Hoff: 10. the salt and pepper look is fantastic. looking forward to seeing him in the new Connor catalog.
    other blokes in the back: 8, you werent Jackson. Congrats.
    Ugaboogaman: 10. love the bloke.
    Ridenton: was gonna give you a 4 but after the bloke boomed over the PA "Rideton you suck" i rethought and you get 0.
    Dimi/New Jair: rinse repeat.
    Wessi: too good for us, sack him tomorrow.
    Fitzgerald: not good enough for us, therefore a new 4 year contract is on the cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

  9. #49
    Front 3 / 4 looked really good tonight. Sharp passing made plenty of space, be good if we could actually finish.

    Thought Ugs distribution was a bit below par by his standards. Still won plenty of ball though.

    Early days but cracking start to the season.

  10. #50
    Senior Member Couscous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Worldwide culinary phenomenon
    Posts
    1,170
    One of our biggest-ever wins and youse guys don't give a.

  11. #51
    aka WLG pv4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7,230
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    keeper: -40, got beat by a 42 year old. resign and retire son, its over.
    This is both true and correct.

    Millar - good. Was very productive going forward and looked dangerous often.
    Langlois & JohnnyK - not tested enough, but neither oozed confidence either. They will be good backup.
    Hoff - he is good when he doesn't try to play too much with the ball. He is an athlete, not a footballer. If we go back to the Scott Miller days of restricting his freedom of playing, he will be far more useful for us. This left back spot is surely nailed on for Hoff for the season, particularly as you read on and see how much we hopefully won't need him in the front third.
    UG - what a man. Still one of our best players on a relatively low-key night for him.
    Ridenton - not Kanta.
    Dimi, Fitz & Wessi - I want to group these three together, because their combinations showed brilliant signs and I think will get even better. These guys are going to have absolute fun together this year, and I look forward to it. For a preseason that has been reported we have struggled for attacking ideas, this trio working that well so early in their relationship is a massive positive. Fitz was my MotM - he had moments of being wasteful but also put the thing on a dime for so many players so often. We can already tell Wessi is far, far too good for us.
    Arroyo - you can tell he doesn't speak the language and hasn't gelled with the team yet. But you can also tell that he is quick, very quick. And you can also point out that with that trio behind him, if Arroyo can run fast to the right position he will have several goals teed up to him on a platter. If I were Roy, I'd be feeling a bit dirty I didn't hang around to play in this front 4.

    Knowing we have Boogs, NTS, Moss & Kanta still to come back into this lineup, I took a lot of positives from that game.

    If I were Ernie, assuming Boogs & NTS are actually going to be OK for the season, I'd be looking to fill this last squad spot with a certified left back or like he is saying a versatile defensive mid that could play wide back also if needed. That would relieve the pressure off our CMs currently, or if a left back will give us the luxury of having Hoff as a very decent option from the bench to cover most positions. Left back aside, Hoff has quickly found himself in the position he was in at the start of the grand final year where we were too good in every position to actually give him a starting spot.
    OK

  12. #52
    infant member plague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13,577
    Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    One of our biggest-ever wins and youse guys don't give a.
    It's as if my comprehensive and entirely accurate and good post match analysis isn't posted up on here.

    Geez.

  13. #53
    Senior Member StannyCFCJET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Newy
    Posts
    3,990
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    This is both true and correct.

    Millar - good. Was very productive going forward and looked dangerous often.
    Langlois & JohnnyK - not tested enough, but neither oozed confidence either. They will be good backup.
    Hoff - he is good when he doesn't try to play too much with the ball. He is an athlete, not a footballer. If we go back to the Scott Miller days of restricting his freedom of playing, he will be far more useful for us. This left back spot is surely nailed on for Hoff for the season, particularly as you read on and see how much we hopefully won't need him in the front third.
    UG - what a man. Still one of our best players on a relatively low-key night for him.
    Ridenton - not Kanta.
    Dimi, Fitz & Wessi - I want to group these three together, because their combinations showed brilliant signs and I think will get even better. These guys are going to have absolute fun together this year, and I look forward to it. For a preseason that has been reported we have struggled for attacking ideas, this trio working that well so early in their relationship is a massive positive. Fitz was my MotM - he had moments of being wasteful but also put the thing on a dime for so many players so often. We can already tell Wessi is far, far too good for us.
    Arroyo - you can tell he doesn't speak the language and hasn't gelled with the team yet. But you can also tell that he is quick, very quick. And you can also point out that with that trio behind him, if Arroyo can run fast to the right position he will have several goals teed up to him on a platter. If I were Roy, I'd be feeling a bit dirty I didn't hang around to play in this front 4.

    Knowing we have Boogs, NTS, Moss & Kanta still to come back into this lineup, I took a lot of positives from that game.

    If I were Ernie, assuming Boogs & NTS are actually going to be OK for the season, I'd be looking to fill this last squad spot with a certified left back or like he is saying a versatile defensive mid that could play wide back also if needed. That would relieve the pressure off our CMs currently, or if a left back will give us the luxury of having Hoff as a very decent option from the bench to cover most positions. Left back aside, Hoff has quickly found himself in the position he was in at the start of the grand final year where we were too good in every position to actually give him a starting spot.
    Yet he found himself in the starting squad anyway

  14. #54
    aka WLG pv4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7,230
    Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Yet he found himself in the starting squad anyway
    At left back. Which I specifically noted.
    OK

  15. #55
    infant member plague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13,577
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    At left back. Which I specifically noted.
    You praised gypos and bagged The Hoff.
    Disc-race.

  16. #56
    Senior Member StannyCFCJET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Newy
    Posts
    3,990
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    At left back. Which I specifically noted.
    Hoff will be back up front soon, Johnny K is our LB
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��


    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

  17. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Hoff will be back up front soon, Johnny K is our LB
    Who would you rather, Johnny K or Hoff LB? Both are completely different, johnny prob better defensively, hoff bombing forward which is what Ernie wants our fullbacks doing.

  18. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,515
    Dimi looks trash without his mullet.
    We made edgy look like an NPL team.
    Would’ve been curious if it stayed 2-1 without the penalty how things end up.

    Wessi looks good.
    Hope Dimi gives him the ball.
    Wessi taking corners makes me happy.
    I’m still traumatised every time I see Dimi stand over a free kick or corner, and have only started to erase Hooles corners from my mind. Just happy we are clearing first man.

  19. #59
    Senior Member StannyCFCJET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Newy
    Posts
    3,990
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_masi View Post
    Who would you rather, Johnny K or Hoff LB? Both are completely different, johnny prob better defensively, hoff bombing forward which is what Ernie wants our fullbacks doing.
    Hoff all day long no question, Do not like Johnny K at LB at all but we all know what Ernie will do
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��


    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

  20. #60
    infant member plague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13,577
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_masi View Post
    Who would you rather, Johnny K or Hoff LB? Both are completely different, johnny prob better defensively, hoff bombing forward which is what Ernie wants our fullbacks doing.
    You male a perfect case for Ernie to play 2 left backs.
    I'd support it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •