Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Qatar 2022 World Cup - AFC Qualifiers

https://www.theguardian.com/football...cceroos-career

Langerak ain't going to play for the national team no more. Shame, he sounded like he was doing well in Japan.

Squad for the next qualifiers announced next week.

No Arzani.
    Pfft, Australia not even wanting to win the world cup.
    Typical Gypo coach, picks a bunch of loser gypos. Is Hutcho one of his assistants yet?
    Love to know what Goodwin did wrong, prob refused to sign with the gypos when he was 12 or something, ****ing gypo coach would be that petty and hold a grudge.
    Farmers cup.

that didn't take long. pretty soft defence

Thanks Bel, forgot all about this.

So top from each group qualifies for 3rd round, and the 4 best runners up? Then 2 x groups of 6. Top 2 qualify.

Likely top teams atm:
    Syria
    Australia
    Bahrain
    Saudi Arabia
    Qatar** drop out and Oman would be top
    Japan
    South Korea
    Vietnam

Other possibles:
    China
    Kuwait
    Jordan
    Iraq
    Iran
    Uzbek
    UAE

Are the groups random or seeded(4 top of group teams, 2 runner up)
    I’d be hoping to avoid Japan, South Korea, Saudi Arabia and maybe Syria.
    Getting Oman in your group would be a blessing as they are essentially a runner up.

Asia qualification seems tricky. Every stage I seem to think is the last one, but there’s always one more haha. Dangerous too, if you don’t take it serious enough early, you can get knocked out, but if you peak too soon, you get to the pointy end and can’t go up a notch. Still better than the ridiculous Oceania qualification and one off game vs south america
    I do like that we seem to be blooding a lot of players, seeing how they perform in this environment.
    Last edited by Bremsstrahlung; 04-06-2021 at 06:16 AM.

Biraz in goals?

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    that didn't take long. pretty soft defence

500 odd days between games.
    1st goal back took 55 seconds
    Klyden, after inhaling the smoke from a cigarette:- (S02E11)
    "I feel as if I have been standing my entire life, and I just sat down."
    The Orville - returning to SBS. June 3rd, 2022

If anybody is bothered to watch this game, Chinese Taipei must have a handicap. Old mate just took a corner about 50cm away from the circle haha

Also nice to see Nicky Carle playing for Socceroos again.

That was pathetic defence from australia

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    If anybody is bothered to watch this game, Chinese Taipei must have a handicap. Old mate just took a corner about 50cm away from the circle haha

That was pathetic defence from australia
    I spotted those Brem. As someone who marks lines, I had a chuckle to myself. 1m ain't enough for him.

Just watched the 1st half then back to the land of nod.

I had a bit of a wtf? moment when I saw the ft score...that they scored one.
    Klyden, after inhaling the smoke from a cigarette:- (S02E11)
    "I feel as if I have been standing my entire life, and I just sat down."
    The Orville - returning to SBS. June 3rd, 2022

If anybody watches the Kayo mini, does the keeper not kick the ball out for a corner very early on? Probably just the angle, but I thought it was very very close.
    Remember reffing all age and it happening all the time, ball rolling towards sideline and players picking it up before it crosses the line. Haha.

Thoughts on Martin Boyle’s effort to get Nepal player sent? Commentators were pretty scathing on him I thought.
    I guess my view is a little hypocritical. I don’t think he needed to stoop to that against Nepal when we have already qualified and winning the match comfortably.
    Mini match doesn’t totally capture the context, so if they were dropping like flies too, then we can play that game too. But that tactic, maybe at the later stages is something we normally get screwed over by, so I’m okay with is deploying the dark arts when it matters. Don’t think it mattered today.

If anybody watches the Kayo mini, does the keeper not kick the ball out for a corner very early on? Probably just the angle, but I thought it was very very close.
    Remember reffing all age and it happening all the time, ball rolling towards sideline and players picking it up before it crosses the line. Haha.

Thoughts on Martin Boyle’s effort to get Nepal player sent? Commentators were pretty scathing on him I thought.
    I guess my view is a little hypocritical. I don’t think he needed to stoop to that against Nepal when we have already qualified and winning the match comfortably.
    Mini match doesn’t totally capture the context, so if they were dropping like flies too, then we can play that game too. But that tactic, maybe at the later stages is something we normally get screwed over by, so I’m okay with is deploying the dark arts when it matters. Don’t think it mattered today.
    Yep, keeper taps it out and everybody missed it.

It was an incredibly poor decision by Boyle and the ref. Contact was barely there, he goes down a step or two later. If the roles had been reversed we'd be screaming blue murder. I also don't think they would have awarded a penalty had that happened in the box.

Thought Nepal were pretty good actually. Kept us contained, forced a lot of backwards balls and only got exposed a couple of times.

I didn't realise our qualification process was so strange.
    For some reason I thought top 2 qualified.

FYI, it's the top 6 best ranked runners up, with their results against the bottom team of their group omitted.
    Kuwait and Jordan miss out.

I'm assuming there's a 'draw'?
    Top 6 according to FIFA ranking in a pot, next 6 in another pot, drawn randomly?
    Or is it, 1st asian team on fifa ranking into group A, 2nd into B, 3rd in A, 4th into B, etc?

Harry 'Tim Cahill" Souttar. Nice to see us catch on to take advantage of something in Asia. Our 2 metre tall CB who can head the ball.

You've got to give Arnold credit for winning all our games. Even though we had to rely on set pieces for the majority of it. The real test will come next round
    Jaliens gives me the horn

Shamelessly lifted from Wikipedia
    Format

Two groups, home and away round-robin. Top two through. Two third place teams through to fourth round and winner plays somebody from another confederation.
    Draw and seeding

The draw for the third round will be held on 1 July 2021

The seeding for the draw was based on a special release of the FIFA World Rankings for Asian teams on 18 June 2021

Pot 1 contains the teams ranked 1–2 - Japan and Iran.
    Pot 2 contains the teams ranked 3–4 - Australia and South Korea
    Pot 3 contains the teams ranked 5–6 - Saudi Arabia and UAE
    Pot 4 contains the teams ranked 7–8 - Iraq and China
    Pot 5 contains the teams ranked 9–10 - Oman and Syria
    Pot 6 contains the teams ranked 11–12 - Vietnam and Lebanon

So, who do you want, Japan or Iran?

At least the posts are getting shorter

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    Shamelessly lifted from Wikipedia
    Format

Two groups, home and away round-robin. Top two through. Two third place teams through to fourth round and winner plays somebody from another confederation.
    Draw and seeding

The draw for the third round will be held on 1 July 2021

The seeding for the draw was based on a special release of the FIFA World Rankings for Asian teams on 18 June 2021

Pot 1 contains the teams ranked 1–2 - Japan and Iran.
    Pot 2 contains the teams ranked 3–4 - Australia and South Korea
    Pot 3 contains the teams ranked 5–6 - Saudi Arabia and UAE
    Pot 4 contains the teams ranked 7–8 - Iraq and China
    Pot 5 contains the teams ranked 9–10 - Oman and Syria
    Pot 6 contains the teams ranked 11–12 - Vietnam and Lebanon

So, who do you want, Japan or Iran?
    Probably Japan? More likely to take care of the other teams in the group as well, avoiding an upset and giving them points we won't have earned against them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Good point re: Japan taking care of other teams. They seem a bit more consistent. I was a bit meh about which of the top pot we got. More concerned about the lesser teams. Would hope we could take care of Iran in at least one game though if we drew them.
    It’s top 2 automatic right? Then 3rd place faces the never ending qualification journey.
    I’m hoping to avoid Saudi and Iraq.

It’s top 2 automatic right? Then 3rd place faces the never ending qualification journey.
    I’m hoping to avoid Saudi and Iraq.
    I believe top 2 as always.

Agree avoiding Saudi Arabia and Iraq.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Top two through.