Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What now For Skip Football- The way ahead

Banned

What now For Skip Football- The way ahead

So the dust has settling on our efforts at the WC and the reality is we quite frankly were not good enough

The reasons for this I think are reflective of the incompetence and failings of the FFA #ALeague and Grass Roots clubs across the country

What needs doing to fix these flaws??

Clean out of FFA board/heads.

Review of all clubs that have youth development.
    Introduce rules/laws to stop these "elite" pathways from profiting from juniors.

Remove the over arching play style implemented from FFA - "Possession at all costs" and simply allow the kids to play football. Showcase their ability.

Remove the restrictions for our youth to develop (cash and play style) and watch the game improve on its own.

oh and we could have a 2nd division nationally, or at least give it a decent crack for east coast/south & west coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    Clean out of FFA board/heads.

Review of all clubs that have youth development.
    Introduce rules/laws to stop these "elite" pathways from profiting from juniors.

Remove the over arching play style implemented from FFA - "Possession at all costs" and simply allow the kids to play football. Showcase their ability.

Remove the restrictions for our youth to develop (cash and play style) and watch the game improve on its own.

oh and we could have a 2nd division nationally, or at least give it a decent crack for east coast/south & west coast.
    Agreed. Also I see a big issue with imported strikers. Great way to develop our defenders sure but leaves far too many up and coming strikers sitting on the bench rather than getting game time.

Yep, get rid of the one system for all rubbish & don’t throw all the eggs into the Dutch basket. Sure, look at other countries for ideas but we need to develop our own identity.

Also I don’t know how many games the youth team plays but is it enough? The absence of a second division is telling- the gap beaten a-league and NPL seems too big.

Step 1. Make a plan.

Step 2. See step one.

I don't care who they have to get involved but the Australian Football program is a headless chook.

(I had more written but took it all out. We just need a plan of some sorts for at least 6-8 years.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

This is part of quite a lengthy article on how Iceland stage their meteoric rise, written around the time of Euro 2016

Arrigo Sacchi famously suggested elite coaching should be open to people from any walk of life, from elevator operators to stockbrokers. At the end of the last century the Icelandic FA put this into practice. Bolstered by the TV money pouring into every Uefa country, Iceland set up an open, hugely popular training scheme. Currently this nation of 335,000 has around 600 qualified coaches, 400 with Uefa B licences, or one per 825 people. To put this into context, in England this number falls to one per 11,000.

The result is a spread of expertise right down to the lowest level. “Here you need a Uefa B licence to coach from under-10 level up and half of the Uefa B licence to coach under-eights,” Dagur Sveinn Dagbjartsson of the Icelandic FA says. This isn’t simply box-ticking. The Uefa B is one step off the level needed to coach a professional team in England. Yelling dads it ain’t.
    Further on

The second strand is facilities. Iceland has brilliant ones. Football is rich. What, in the end, do you want to spend its money on? With TV money still stuffing its pockets, Iceland decided to do something else with this bonus. Something – and this is the key difference – actually useful.

Clubs and local authorities went into partnership, building unapologetically vast indoor football pitches up and down the country. The halls are heated, open to all and staffed by qualified coaches. They are, in their own way, the key to all this.
    Finally..

Finally, Iceland did something great with school football. The FA has been buying land next to schools and building pitches: enclosed timber-built, artificial-turfed pitches, paid for by money that might otherwise have ended up in some familiar dead end: unnecessarily showy mega-stadiums, executive salaries, another Bugatti in the garage.
    Full article:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...lars-lagerback

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Step 1. Make a plan.

Step 2. See step one.

I don't care who they have to get involved but the Australian Football program is a headless chook.

(I had more written but took it all out. We just need a plan of some sorts for at least 6-8 years.)
    It seems to be the FFAs main problem

There is no plan

Cant be hard to say

We want 12 teams next season

Then we want 14 in 2020

Then we want 16 in 2022

We want teams from here here and here etc

But no

These ****s are making it up as they go

They're too busy arguing amongst themselves
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    This is part of quite a lengthy article on how Iceland stage their meteoric rise, written around the time of Euro 2016
    The FFA SAP program introduced this year for U/9's looks like it is based around a few of those points.
    its been pretty interesting being involved in it. i think its a great first step, but year the kids starting that will be ready in 15 years.

hope everyones happy to wait that out.....
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    The FFA SAP program introduced this year for U/9's looks like it is based around a few of those points.
    its been pretty interesting being involved in it. i think its a great first step, but year the kids starting that will be ready in 15 years.

hope everyones happy to wait that out.....
    Probs because they have a system in place that is about making kids the best they can be as opposed to our FFA who see development as a business and a vital part of there revenue.

The real question is: how many hours/week do kids play football in Australia vs. any other "developed" football country?
    No point blaming the FFA when there is a lack of players quality with a clear cause: kids don't get to play enough football.
    If we think 45 minutes/week for about 25 weeks/year is enough... we should think again.
    It's a cultural problem, I know. I used to play football at least 1 hr/day, and it wasn't structured training. And I was never a football player!!! That's just the way it is... you play with the older kids, learn from them, develop your skills, repeat... that's what happens in the streets, parks, schools, everywheres, of South America, Europe, Africa. Now look at these national teams and what they achieve on the world stage, the amount of quality players they produce.
    I know, they don't have the competition from NRL and AFL, but there are other important sports in "football" countries too.
    FFA is a problem, but they can't change a culture.

1. Anybody that won’t be around to play in 2022, clear em out.

2. As a collective we need to create our own “style”, we can’t out holland the Dutch, we can’t out Brazil the Brazilians and South Americans. We have to develop something that suits our attributes.
    Which is the challenging part in some ways. To create this we may sacrifice some of our pragmatic results. That in some ways was a strength of our qualification, being able to grind out 1 goal wins and draw. What we lacked was fire and flair. We are so mechanical. But to switch it up, we might lose a few of those games.

Personally, I want a creative team that will attack. All these players aren’t stupid, they’ve all played this game enough to know when there is a need to be pragmatic, when to go backwards, when to keep possession. They know this. But this shouldn’t be option a, b and c. I was watching Sweden with a few similarities. I don’t think they are a brilliant squad, they have a few players playing EPL or top divisions. When they get the ball they lump it forward and win their battles. In defence they are compact and solid. On the counter they are quick as, and when they are under pressure their backs clear it and somehow they end up in a good position. They have a handy forward, similar build to Juric, big and tall. But he does a whole lot more for them.

You know what, it was actually a bit exciting watching Arzani take defenders on. Even though I knew he was gonna fake left and cut across the box each time, at least he drove into the box.

Go back to a basic 4-4-2.

Was the tournament a failure? I’m gonna say yes. But a lot of the negativity is because we played well against France and Denmark, everyone had raised hopes that we could get a win over Peru. The same Peru that is ranked Top 15. A lot of people underestimated them. They are a strong team.

Pre tournament I thought we’d snag a draw against France, beat Denmark and lose to Peru.

I've been studying a few newspaper columns on this topic, and have come to the conclusion that we shouldn't bother with soccer any more because it's too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    we can’t out holland the Dutch, we can’t out Brazil the Brazilians and South Americans. We have to develop something that suits our attributes.
    whilst not a direct shot at you Brem, im always fascinated by comments like this.

Can you explain to me why in fact we cant, 'out Brazil the Brazillians'?

because we can, but unless we believe we can, we never will.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

whilst not a direct shot at you Brem, im always fascinated by comments like this.

Can you explain to me why in fact we cant, 'out Brazil the Brazillians'?

because we can, but unless we believe we can, we never will.
    Idk, I just think football philosophy comes and goes in waves.
    By copying somebody else’s blueprint we are already behind the 8 ball.
    Everyone thought Tikka Takka was the future.
    Now we see a high press, high intensity game.
    Before, we saw a possession based style which was based on, they can’t score without the ball.

I’m just saying we need to kind of stop this “curriculum” of 4-3-3 the Holland way.
    Educate coaches who will educate players. If a player plays under a few coaches, hopefully he or she can learn different ways and attributes from each style. Each manager or coach has their preferred style or what they think works best.

Sure, we can copy Brazilian style and tactics but as a few others have suggested, their success is largely due to the fact football is a way of life, not a sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Idk, I just think football philosophy comes and goes in waves.
    By copying somebody else’s blueprint we are already behind the 8 ball.
    Everyone thought Tikka Takka was the future.
    Now we see a high press, high intensity game.
    Before, we saw a possession based style which was based on, they can’t score without the ball.

I’m just saying we need to kind of stop this “curriculum” of 4-3-3 the Holland way.
    Educate coaches who will educate players. If a player plays under a few coaches, hopefully he or she can learn different ways and attributes from each style. Each manager or coach has their preferred style or what they think works best.

Sure, we can copy Brazilian style and tactics but as a few others have suggested, their success is largely due to the fact football is a way of life, not a sport.
    I'm not even talking about tactics.
    I'm more talking about individual skill level.

There's absolutely no reason why we cant produce players with same technical ability of Neymar, Basquets, Messi etc.

This SAP program is at least trying to point in that direction.

Prob is (and it will come as no shock) that some clubs are neglecting the blueprint in favour of doing what they can to 'win' games on the weekend.

It's no surprise that the 4 strongest teams in the program all train at the Speers pt facility on the same day doing the same drills under the watchful eye of coaching instructors.

At least half the kids signed up to the program are already behind the 8 ball due to lack of effort on the part of their clubs.

It's frustrating to see.

I'm not even talking about tactics.
    I'm more talking about individual skill level.

There's absolutely no reason why we cant produce players with same technical ability of Neymar, Basquets, Messi etc.

This SAP program is at least trying to point in that direction.

Prob is (and it will come as no shock) that some clubs are neglecting the blueprint in favour of doing what they can to 'win' games on the weekend.

It's no surprise that the 4 strongest teams in the program all train at the Speers pt facility on the same day doing the same drills under the watchful eye of coaching instructors.

At least half the kids signed up to the program are already behind the 8 ball due to lack of effort on the part of their clubs.

It's frustrating to see.
    The other thing along these lines that people bagging out the "dutch" method are missing is that (at least from my perspective), the point in these youth teams isn't to pass backwards all day and always play safe so you don't lose - its to teach the players how to be comfortable and confident in possession of the ball. Yes, many teams are successful without ever developing this, and find it easier to lump it forward and create physical battles. But if you create an environment where the players value possession and try to play with the ball, you encourage them to improve those technical skills and actually become skillful players, rather than just fast or strong blokes who kick a ball when they have to.

Banned

I not going to argue with you on this point but I going to peel back what you just said and ask you another question based on it

Obviously your Neymars Messis etc have a high degree of techincal skills etc obviously producing this is hard takes a lot to fall into place etc

Why though can we not produce "world class" defenders and DMs??

The skills needed to be a Maldini or a Cannavarro or a Kante or Makele etc are not technical unlike Messi Neymar etc

So why in ****sname are we producing Milligans Mooys Jedinaks and Boogaards??

Why though can we not produce "world class" defenders and DMs??

The skills needed to be a Maldini or a Cannavarro or a Kante or Makele etc are not technical unlike Messi Neymar etc

So why in ****sname are we producing Milligans Mooys Jedinaks and Boogaards??
    Yeah this is a very good and valid point.

I'd def agree that defending requires more 'coaching' reositioning and technique.

I'd also point to bloke like Pique and Marcello who's technique and ability on the ball are as good as anyone on the planet.
    I'd also never be persuaded from thinking that blokes like Iniesta, Messi, Ronaldo could play in the backline of any major team with ease (attitude notwithstanding).

This SAP program is all about developing their 1st touch. That is the first 2nd and 3rd priority.
    Theory is that once kids are confident on the ball,they can be positioned anywhere and 'coached' what to do from there (from age 12 onwards).

Messi's goal against Nigeria was nothing more than 3 steps of the 'home program' we all did as kids.
    Thigh touch.
    Top of the foot touch.
    Side foot finish.

Every kid 'can' do that if they practice it enough. These top players dont have special powers.

I can dig that approach.

Banned
    Yeah this is a very good and valid point.

I'd def agree that defending requires more 'coaching' reositioning and technique.

I'd also point to bloke like Pique and Marcello who's technique and ability on the ball are as good as anyone on the planet.
    I'd also never be persuaded from thinking that blokes like Iniesta, Messi, Ronaldo could play in the backline of any major team with ease (attitude notwithstanding).

This SAP program is all about developing their 1st touch. That is the first 2nd and 3rd priority.
    Theory is that once kids are confident on the ball,they can be positioned anywhere and 'coached' what to do from there (from age 12 onwards).

Messi's goal against Nigeria was nothing more than 3 steps of the 'home program' we all did as kids.
    Thigh touch.
    Top of the foot touch.
    Side foot finish.

Every kid 'can' do that if they practice it enough. These top players dont have special powers.

I can dig that approach.
    That being said Marcelo and Pique to me aint that great at the pure art of defending

Yes they very good on the ball actually they exceptional for their positions and playing for NTs and clubs they do they both dont have to defend that much anyway

Put them in shit sides and their defending doesnt stand up enough

You can be a World class defender without really being a world beater on the ball anyway

Vidic Baresi Terry Maldini Chiellini etc

None of them were Xavi Iniesta like on the ball

So our coaching system of this skill acquisition shit is flawed

Yes it will help to create better players in the 7 9 10 11 roles

But it is actually doing **** all at creating World class defenders and DMs and Keepers

By my thinking that is 7 positions that there is no realistic reason why we can not have world class players in

That is 65% of a team FFS

You have a look at the goals the Socceroos conceded in the WC

Nearrly all through basic incompetence on some level
    Nearly all we had 5/6 blokes back yet allowed 1/2 players to violate us how they seen fit

No real excuses as to why we continue to be so poor in these areas