Page 39 of 72 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Premier Club SAP

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    has this been legitimately discussed at club or SAP level?our club hasnt been relayed anything like this and we've been getting forwarded lots of emails regarding the issue.
    Yes, our club has discussed it. I pushed for more instruction/clarity from Northern and above.
    Current instructions are that if schools shut down, so do we.

Edit: I should clarify, The current instructions re. schools is from our club, not NNSWF / FFA
    Last edited by scowling; 16-03-2020 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    On a positive for the girls program in SAP.
    U/12 Macquarie girls V U/12 Emerging Jets yesterday was a really good and entertaining game of football.. the jets did skip away to an early 4 goal lead and have some wonderful talent.
    But once the respective/ fear ( whatever you want to call it) wore off, the Macquarie girls started to get stuck in and pulled a goal back before the half. Then kept the jets to nil in the second half whilst grabbing another goal themselves. Both keepers making excellent saves ( trying not to be biased as Macquarie keeper is my daughter but anyone who knows me will know I’m pretty honest with her on her performance’s).

But at then end of the day the standard of football both teams played was great and a real positive for the program and women’s football to know it’s working in a way and we should have some talented girls coming through in the years to come.
    Great to hear mate.

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    On a positive for the girls program in SAP.
    U/12 Macquarie girls V U/12 Emerging Jets yesterday was a really good and entertaining game of football.. the jets did skip away to an early 4 goal lead and have some wonderful talent.
    But once the respective/ fear ( whatever you want to call it) wore off, the Macquarie girls started to get stuck in and pulled a goal back before the half. Then kept the jets to nil in the second half whilst grabbing another goal themselves. Both keepers making excellent saves ( trying not to be biased as Macquarie keeper is my daughter but anyone who knows me will know I’m pretty honest with her on her performance’s).

But at then end of the day the standard of football both teams played was great and a real positive for the program and women’s football to know it’s working in a way and we should have some talented girls coming through in the years to come.
    I was also at the game and all the girls did amazingly well and I can see a big improvement in the teams over the off season. Watching the next games and chatting to our friends from lambton. The Hamilton 11s teams completely overran both Lambton and Lake Macquarie teams. Im not sure whether its frustrating as a competitor or a pleasure to watch but its the same 2 groups of boys are so far ahead of the rest again.
    Considering the unrest and what was conceived as a strategic move to strengthen Jaffas the game wasn't even close and then speaking to my friend he felt the other Team who played lakes are even stronger.

Two amazing games 1 after the other and I can only support the program so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired01 View Post
    I was also at the game and all the girls did amazingly well and I can see a big improvement in the teams over the off season. Watching the next games and chatting to our friends from lambton. The Hamilton 11s teams completely overran both Lambton and Lake Macquarie teams. Im not sure whether its frustrating as a competitor or a pleasure to watch but its the same 2 groups of boys are so far ahead of the rest again.
    Considering the unrest and what was conceived as a strategic move to strengthen Jaffas the game wasn't even close and then speaking to my friend he felt the other Team who played lakes are even stronger.

Two amazing games 1 after the other and I can only support the program so far.
    ive seen clubs play those teams close (and some have won games) but the kids you are describing i think have the best mix of physical aspect and individual skills.some other clubs ive watched are every bit as skilled, but lack the physical side.others have the physical game to match but not as skilled.hopefully over time the other teams can combine both aspects of their game.you only have to look at Olympics NPL youth teams to know their SAP kids are on a good program with good coaching and structure.there should be no shame in other clubs adapting some of their methods.

Quote Originally Posted by YewYew View Post
    Watched Edgy v Magic 9s 2day and saw a big gap between teams. Edgy real good. Didn’t see the ovver game but heard it was a bit closer.

Never stayed for 10s but got told magic put 20+ on one of the girls teams. That yr boys John S?

If true that ain’t no good for any1. Ain’t blaming magic kids but Northern got to sort that out. People on here already talking about cricket scores in matches last week to. Not a good look for Northern.
    The other u9s game was actually a good game to watch , with Chris Berlin's magic side getting up on Mick Hannah's edgy side 7-6 ,

the u10s team that beat the girls team was Tom Donnelly's magic team , which was close to 40 - 0 (felt very sorry for the girls)
    Last edited by cobra23; 16-03-2020 at 12:46 PM.

NNSWF decision to make girls teams only play down 1 age group is a terrible decision. Last year they struggled against the NPL based SAP teams when playing 2 years down. Fared better against the League One clubs.

Jets Girls teams are only expected to play down 1 age and they have pick of the best girls. You now expect Newcastle, Mac and HV to play 1 down after losing their best girls to Jets.

Quicker WPL clubs are made to run SAP will be better for all involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Forever View Post
    NNSWF decision to make girls teams only play down 1 age group is a terrible decision. Last year they struggled against the NPL based SAP teams when playing 2 years down. Fared better against the League One clubs.

Jets Girls teams are only expected to play down 1 age and they have pick of the best girls. You now expect Newcastle, Mac and HV to play 1 down after losing their best girls to Jets.

Quicker WPL clubs are made to run SAP will be better for all involved.
    I didn't realise that NNSWF had changed the ages the girls played in.
    You are 100% right the girls playing 2 years down were being outmatched by most teams. Diluting the squads and then forcing them to play only 1 year down is a terrible decision.

I watched our boys in their 1st trial match this year vs the emerging jets girls after very few training sessions outclass them quite easily. It's going to be a long year for the Newcastle, Macquarie and HV girls.

Terrible call IMO.

Hi all, my name is Alan and while I am not a coach I am involved in administering the SAP program at one of the clubs in the city. I'd prefer not to say which one as our club has a social media policy which asks club officials not to speak on in forums such as this, so I will say that all views on here are my own. I also have a son playing in U11 SAP, a daughter hoping to play in SAP next year, a niece playing in the emerging Jets SAP, and a nephew in U9 SAP. So, SAP takes up a lot of my time!

I only heard about this forum on Saturday while at Edgy to see my niece play, and yes I saw some of the 40-0 game talked about above. It was not great to see, but from the short time I watched the Broadmeadow boys were not just shooting from all angles and the girls never gave up. Both teams can take something from that.

The emerging Jets girls and Newcastle SAP girls played Saturday, and they are in the U9 SAP. Both teams are raw but each have girls who have played SAP before and you can see that. I would say the Hunter Valley girls would be much better suited to U9 age group. This is my third year watching SAP and I can tells ya a years experience makes a MEGA difference. If this is the first year for the HV and they are playing in U10 it will be super tough for them. Chances are any good players in the team will also be snapped up by the Jets or other girls SAP teams at the end of the season as well, so U11 next year would not be for them.

I don't know how it all works on here but below are some thoughts I have about SAP and wanted to hear thoughts. Please tell me if this is not how you do things on here!

1. If your team has an ambitious coach, players and the team will develop. If you have a reluctant or short-term coach your team will struggle. Coaching is very time consuming - even at this level - and my son is lucky to have a coach going through his licences - he may already be B licensed. I know boys in other teams who are not so lucky and they don't fair well long term.

2. If you are looking at SAP for a child in the future, do your research and speak to the clubs about their plans. Knowing the coaches and knowing if the coaches are in it for the long-haul is VERY important. I know at least one club which has its SAP coaches lined up for 2021 already. Clubs can make good money from SAP, but only a few clubs will provide great coaching.

3. If you are a coach, speak to clubs and understand if their ambitious match yours. Its easy to stay with a club that you have coached Miniroos with, or have some connections with, but that might not be the best decision for you or your child, assuming your child is playing SAP too. Even the bigger clubs in the city have their flaws. Be deliberate in your decisions now, as it is not a good look for administrators and committees to see a coach who jumped from club to club.

4. I see a lot of kids playing in SAP who are too young. I get parents want their kids in SAP early to get better coaching, but IMHO clubs should look at limiting the numbers of kids playing outside their age group in SAP. The club I am involved is very strict on only allowing correct-aged kids to play SAP. I believe (but was outvoted) that some exceptions should be made for exceptionally talented kids, but there are not too many of these. There are too many U8 kids playing in U9 SAP and it shows. Parents should realise there is no rush. Most clubs will happily take your money and little your 7 year old play SAP, but ask if its best for them. Miniroos teams at U8 can be graded, so that might be just as good an option as SAP for young talented players.

5. NNSWF really are trying their best. They don't always get things right with SAP, but I do believe they have the best interests of young footballers at their heart.

Sorry for the ramble - just wanted to throw out some discussion points. Just my opinions though - don't hang the DJ if you don't like the song! I look forward to interacting with you all.

A

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Sorry for the ramble - just wanted to throw out some discussion points. Just my opinions though - don't hang the DJ if you don't like the song! I look forward to interacting with you all.

A
    Totally agree on pretty much everything you said here Alan and agree that this thread is better served when talking about the program as a whole.the age limits are tough as unless it is a NNSW mandated rule then another club is going to snap up the young kids wanting to get in early if they are good enough.also agree the overwhelming majority on here and in the program are doing their best.cant see how it wont provide more kids of a higher standard for 13's and up, which eventually will filter through to the highest levels.

Am I the only one that thinks the draw could have been split in 2 from the start.

Let clubs that run A & B squads nominate it to northern and place them in the A draw or B draw based on that.

What I mean:
    A Comp
    Magic, Olympic, Jaffas, Jets Girls,

Allocated according to team strengths (A/B squads or club nominations)
    Charlestown, New Lambton, Valo, Edgy, Lake Mac, Maitland, Weston

B Comp
    HV, Macquarie & HV girls, Wallsend, Sth Cardiff, West Wallsend, Adamstown, Singleton, Cooks Hill

In the 10's even for a casual observer it isn't that hard.

A's (14)
    Magic x 2
    Olympic x 2
    Jaffas x 2
    Jets Girls x 1
    Charlestown x 2
    Edgeworth x 1
    Lake Mac x 1
    Maitland x 1
    New Lambton x 1
    Valentine x 1

B's (16)
    Girls x 3
    Cardiff x 1
    Wallsend x 2
    Singleton x 1
    Weston x 2
    Adamstown x 2
    Edgeworth x 1
    Lake Mac x 1
    Maitland x 1
    New Lambton x 1
    Valentine x 1

This would give the majority of teams evenly balanced games each week and would hopefully avoid what I think are going to be regular lopsided games. Better for the kids at both ends in terms of development.

Hi all, my name is Alan and while I am not a coach I am involved in administering the SAP program at one of the clubs in the city. I'd prefer not to say which one as our club has a social media policy which asks club officials not to speak on in forums such as this, so I will say that all views on here are my own. I also have a son playing in U11 SAP, a daughter hoping to play in SAP next year, a niece playing in the emerging Jets SAP, and a nephew in U9 SAP. So, SAP takes up a lot of my time!

I only heard about this forum on Saturday while at Edgy to see my niece play, and yes I saw some of the 40-0 game talked about above. It was not great to see, but from the short time I watched the Broadmeadow boys were not just shooting from all angles and the girls never gave up. Both teams can take something from that.

The emerging Jets girls and Newcastle SAP girls played Saturday, and they are in the U9 SAP. Both teams are raw but each have girls who have played SAP before and you can see that. I would say the Hunter Valley girls would be much better suited to U9 age group. This is my third year watching SAP and I can tells ya a years experience makes a MEGA difference. If this is the first year for the HV and they are playing in U10 it will be super tough for them. Chances are any good players in the team will also be snapped up by the Jets or other girls SAP teams at the end of the season as well, so U11 next year would not be for them.

I don't know how it all works on here but below are some thoughts I have about SAP and wanted to hear thoughts. Please tell me if this is not how you do things on here!

1. If your team has an ambitious coach, players and the team will develop. If you have a reluctant or short-term coach your team will struggle. Coaching is very time consuming - even at this level - and my son is lucky to have a coach going through his licences - he may already be B licensed. I know boys in other teams who are not so lucky and they don't fair well long term.

2. If you are looking at SAP for a child in the future, do your research and speak to the clubs about their plans. Knowing the coaches and knowing if the coaches are in it for the long-haul is VERY important. I know at least one club which has its SAP coaches lined up for 2021 already. Clubs can make good money from SAP, but only a few clubs will provide great coaching.

3. If you are a coach, speak to clubs and understand if their ambitious match yours. Its easy to stay with a club that you have coached Miniroos with, or have some connections with, but that might not be the best decision for you or your child, assuming your child is playing SAP too. Even the bigger clubs in the city have their flaws. Be deliberate in your decisions now, as it is not a good look for administrators and committees to see a coach who jumped from club to club.

4. I see a lot of kids playing in SAP who are too young. I get parents want their kids in SAP early to get better coaching, but IMHO clubs should look at limiting the numbers of kids playing outside their age group in SAP. The club I am involved is very strict on only allowing correct-aged kids to play SAP. I believe (but was outvoted) that some exceptions should be made for exceptionally talented kids, but there are not too many of these. There are too many U8 kids playing in U9 SAP and it shows. Parents should realise there is no rush. Most clubs will happily take your money and little your 7 year old play SAP, but ask if its best for them. Miniroos teams at U8 can be graded, so that might be just as good an option as SAP for young talented players.

5. NNSWF really are trying their best. They don't always get things right with SAP, but I do believe they have the best interests of young footballers at their heart.

A
    Welcome Alan, and thanks for volunteering your time to help out with your club. It's a big commitment for anyone to step up and assist and often goes very unappreciated. Kudos to you.

A
    Welcome Alan - I feel like I've started something by using my real name

You've already added value to the forum with the above post, let's hope you can stick around.
    I fell into the SAP coaching gig but am loving it - and agree it takes a lot of time.

My son's ID training/trial-match tonight was called off citing COVID-19 concerns - so it has begun.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks the draw could have been split in 2 from the start.

Let clubs that run A & B squads nominate it to northern and place them in the A draw or B draw based on that.

What I mean:
    A Comp
    Magic, Olympic, Jaffas, Jets Girls,

Allocated according to team strengths (A/B squads or club nominations)
    Charlestown, New Lambton, Valo, Edgy, Lake Mac, Maitland, Weston

B Comp
    HV, Macquarie & HV girls, Wallsend, Sth Cardiff, West Wallsend, Adamstown, Singleton, Cooks Hill

In the 10's even for a casual observer it isn't that hard.

A's (14)
    Magic x 2
    Olympic x 2
    Jaffas x 2
    Jets Girls x 1
    Charlestown x 2
    Edgeworth x 1
    Lake Mac x 1
    Maitland x 1
    New Lambton x 1
    Valentine x 1

B's (16)
    Girls x 3
    Cardiff x 1
    Wallsend x 2
    Singleton x 1
    Weston x 2
    Adamstown x 2
    Edgeworth x 1
    Lake Mac x 1
    Maitland x 1
    New Lambton x 1
    Valentine x 1

This would give the majority of teams evenly balanced games each week and would hopefully avoid what I think are going to be regular lopsided games. Better for the kids at both ends in terms of development.
    I can’t comment on U10 teams but what you say has merit. The process of grading teams is fairly straightforward once a club knows their players in say 10/11s. More difficult in U9 but certainly easy enough once clubs have had time with their players.

Quote Originally Posted by scowling View Post
    Welcome Alan - I feel like I've started something by using my real name

You've already added value to the forum with the above post, let's hope you can stick around.
    I fell into the SAP coaching gig but am loving it - and agree it takes a lot of time.

My son's ID training/trial-match tonight was called off citing COVID-19 concerns - so it has begun.
    Oh dear. Times they are a changing!

Oh dear. Times they are a changing!
    So that's it then. I'd be very VERY surprised if we are playing any football in April.
    I support the FFAs decision on this, but that doesn't make it any easier to tell the kids.

Good luck everyone, stay well, stay safe.

So that's it then. I'd be very VERY surprised if we are playing any football in April.
    I support the FFAs decision on this, but that doesn't make it any easier to tell the kids.

Good luck everyone, stay well, stay safe.
    our kids got told last night too.they were ok with it and im kind of ok with NNSW decision.id be shocked if we dont get back on by the 26th April (next scheduled game) as this whole quarantine thing becomes more and more disregarded.i feel that every sport is waiting for the other to just say "we are going back" then everyone will jump on the bandwagon.without wanting to get into a bigger discussion on the virus itself if we havent made a dent in 4 weeks off then 8-10 or 20 weeks off isnt going to make it any better.just ban anyone over the age of 70 from attending training and games.

just ban anyone over the age of 70 from attending training and games.
    Just to be clear id like this rule in place with or without the virus old people are generally the worst loudmouths at games.

our kids got told last night too.they were ok with it and im kind of ok with NNSW decision.id be shocked if we dont get back on by the 26th April (next scheduled game) as this whole quarantine thing becomes more and more disregarded.i feel that every sport is waiting for the other to just say "we are going back" then everyone will jump on the bandwagon.without wanting to get into a bigger discussion on the virus itself if we havent made a dent in 4 weeks off then 8-10 or 20 weeks off isnt going to make it any better.just ban anyone over the age of 70 from attending training and games.

sapdad - your comment scares me.

For Australians to look at what is happening right now around the world and not take this thing seriously for as long as it takes is something that I just cannot comprehend. None of the major sporting codes are going to open themselves up to massive litigation by re-starting seasons before it is safe to do so.

I think the 4 weeks timeframe is just the start - they needed to suspend and my feelings are that the season will eventually be cancelled completely.

And putting aside your comment about loud-mouthed 70 year olds - I hope Australia recognises that it is not JUST 70 year olds that are dying

I hope your comments are not indicative of the public thinking at large

For Australians to look at what is happening right now around the world and not take this thing seriously for as long as it takes is something that I just cannot comprehend. None of the major sporting codes are going to open themselves up to massive litigation by re-starting seasons before it is safe to do so.

I think the 4 weeks timeframe is just the start - they needed to suspend and my feelings are that the season will eventually be cancelled completely.

And putting aside your comment about loud-mouthed 70 year olds - I hope Australia recognises that it is not JUST 70 year olds that are dying

as i said im not interested in having the full philosophical discussion but there are varying degrees of taking it seriously.im happy to listen to the experts and am comfortable if they say my son will be ok then ill let him play.very much in the same way i am comfortable letting him continue going to school.im also fine if parents want to keep their kids away longer.no amount of measures will guarantee everyones safety.and whether you like it or not just like the pro sports codes money will play a factor in NNSW decision.

I think a lot of people have a very similar opinion, including myself, however if anyone wants to discuss this on the forum it should move here:
    https://www.newcastlefootball.net/fo...thmatch-Thread