Page 57 of 72 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 1433

Thread: 2020 Premier Club SAP

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    However the problem lies in - how do they retain their players? Once the kids (or parents) start looking forward toward NPL Youth they'll start leaving to go to NPL clubs.

I'm really not sure, as a club, how you would plan for this turnover year on year until some sort of Pro/rel is re-introduced into NNSWF.
    Part of the problem with not having promotion and relegation and all though all SAP teams are in the same competition and shouldn't matter parents don't see it that way. Only thing you can do is build up a strong inclusive culture that will keep people at the club even if it is in NL1 and not NPL

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    Only thing you can do is build up a strong inclusive culture that will keep people at the club even if it is in NL1 and not NPL

Sounds like a lot of rumour and gossip and shit stirring since people can't say exactly what is happening
    If you dont know maybe shut up.

They are close to the mark.

Only thing you can do is build up a strong inclusive culture that will keep people at the club even if it is in NL1 and not NPL
    There are kids from New Lambton in the TSP/SDP Program which means that they are considered one of the top 12-15 kids in their age group, there are also a bunch of other kids there almost at the same level. Do you think that there is any realistic chance of them staying in NL1 once SAP under 12's transitions to NPL Under 13's?

As samcan mentioned there are at least 2 kids in their current under 10's already looking elsewhere.

It's a tough spot to be in as a club as they run the risk of training kids & training them very well for up to 4 years and then be left chasing for numbers when its get's to 13's due to high performing players leaving for NPL clubs.

I very much doubt that club culture is going to be enough unfortunately.

The sooner they give out some NPL licenses the better.
    Back to the days where there was relegation and promotion if teams met criteria/have NPL licenses.

Clubs like NL, there’s a few more too, have potential to grow and are being held back.

The best 100 players will stay in NPL regardless of what club is promoted or relegated.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Can any of our New Lambton cohort say what is happening with SAP at the club next season? I was told of very exciting news about a fabulous coach getting involved with SAP there, but then also heard about an exodus of players and coaches.

But I'm not actually sure whether either is true!
    As previously mentioned I'm the U9 SAP coach at NLFC. I do have more information about next year, but I'm not sure how much is public information so I can't divulge all that I know. I can confirm that there is a high profile "name" being lined up to direct the SAP program at NLFC. I've been told there are extensive plans for the structure, but I have not been shown or told what that means.

I have heard anecdotally that some players and coaches are changing/leaving - however I wouldn't put that down to anything more than "normal" NLFC end of season attrition. As Aegon alludes to if a parent/player has sights set on NPL, NLFC can't fulfil that goal (yet)

I watched New Lambton v Jaffas games on the weekend.

I can't help but feel bad for New Lambton, they are obviously attracting some talented kids to their SAP program and are fielding very competitive teams in multiple age groups.

Their squads are probably stronger than 1/2 of the established NPL clubs.

However the problem lies in - how do they retain their players? Once the kids (or parents) start looking forward toward NPL Youth they'll start leaving to go to NPL clubs.

I'm really not sure, as a club, how you would plan for this turnover year on year until some sort of Pro/rel is re-introduced into NNSWF.
    What age group did you watch Aegon?
    My 9's are injury ravaged at the moment - one sub across 60 minutes makes for very tired 8 and 9 y.o kids at the end of each half - and only having one team in U9 SAP means we can't draw from anywhere else.
    Some clubs we've played seem to have one squad of 20 which they pick teams out of depending on the week and the opposition? However we haven't played every club (let alone every team) so it's hard to confirm that. I did notice a severe change in attitude (in my players) after getting smashed by a Mid Coast FC team that had U10 kids filling in. Massive gap between U9 and U10 in the SAP setup; unfortunate that MCFC felt the need to do it.

But putting that aside - the kids are getting better, they are learning more every week. When reminded to, they even execute it out there on the pitch.
    For me, it's a hard thing to balance keeping them motivated AND enjoying it, when there are only fleeting glimpses of what their hard work on the training field can turn into during a game.

There are kids from New Lambton in the TSP/SDP Program which means that they are considered one of the top 12-15 kids in their age group, there are also a bunch of other kids there almost at the same level. Do you think that there is any realistic chance of them staying in NL1 once SAP under 12's transitions to NPL Under 13's?

As samcan mentioned there are at least 2 kids in their current under 10's already looking elsewhere.

It's a tough spot to be in as a club as they run the risk of training kids & training them very well for up to 4 years and then be left chasing for numbers when its get's to 13's due to high performing players leaving for NPL clubs.

I very much doubt that club culture is going to be enough unfortunately.
    Probably true re. culture not being the ultimate draw that you'd hope for. I can tell you personally, that if my (now) 9 year old wants desperately to get into NPL, and the best path to get a spot would be to change clubs then I'll make that happen for him. We (as a family) already moved a couple of seasons back from Kotara South to NLFC in order to have NET (and now SAP) be an option.
    This is not commentary as to NLFCs culture; I think it's a great club and I'm happy to be a part of it.

Re. the scuttlebutt around grumpy kids/coaches/parents - there is a (necessary in my opinion) process of change being undertaken at NLFC, and in any organisation there are people who don't like change. You also often need strong personalities to enact such change, and strong personalities sometimes rub people the wrong way. As far as I can see the direction is good and the motivations are sincere.

If your kid wants to play NPL, he will find a team even if he never stepped foot in the SAP environment. I’ve been through it all and my advice would be to not stress and focus on enjoyment because the only way they will miss out is if they don’t want to do it anymore (providing they can stand on 2 legs and kick a ball)

Quote Originally Posted by BS detecor View Post
    If your kid wants to play NPL, he will find a team even if he never stepped foot in the SAP environment. I’ve been through it all and my advice would be to not stress and focus on enjoyment because the only way they will miss out is if they don’t want to do it anymore (providing they can stand on 2 legs and kick a ball)

Quote Originally Posted by scowling View Post
    there is a (necessary in my opinion) process of change being undertaken at NLFC, and in any organisation there are people who don't like change.
    what is the necessary change that you think needs to be made?all parents i know who have kids there speak highly of the club and its not like their SAP kids and youth teams arent good.agree with nothing being able to be done about kids wanting to make NPL, but i was always under the impression NL would be more than they needed to get to 12's then move when it mattered.it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this if youre willing to share.

What age group did you watch Aegon?
    Under 10's mate, but I've seen their 11's a few times and they are good squads.

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    what is the necessary change that you think needs to be made?all parents i know who have kids there speak highly of the club and its not like their SAP kids and youth teams arent good.agree with nothing being able to be done about kids wanting to make NPL, but i was always under the impression NL would be more than they needed to get to 12's then move when it mattered.it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this if youre willing to share.
    Yeah sure - nothing very exciting.
    It's changes around the support structure for the existing SAP setup. Something that I would have loved to have already been in place when I took on this role for this season.

Under 10's mate, but I've seen their 11's a few times and they are good squads.
    Yep, sadly I have not had the chance to see any of the 10s or 11s play.

The 11B team played an intra-club game against my U12 son's team last week; the 11A team is playing them this week. Unfortunately even then they clash with my U9 coaching sessions so can't really watch.

It's changes around the support structure for the existing SAP setup. Something that I would have loved to have already been in place when I took on this role for this season.
    Hi scowling,

It sounds like you have had a pretty tough time this year - I hope you've been able to enjoy it as well. Keep up the good work!

Do you think that the support structure for SAP will be better next year? If the "name" you and I have mentioned is coming in to help, will that assist IYHO? It would be good to understand the level of involvement they will have next year. My experience of SAP for the past 3 years at our club is that we have a great TD and he has been worth his weight. I am guessing that might be missing in the current SAP structure at NL.

A

so will you still be coaching SAP next season?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Hi scowling,

It sounds like you have had a pretty tough time this year - I hope you've been able to enjoy it as well. Keep up the good work!

Do you think that the support structure for SAP will be better next year? If the "name" you and I have mentioned is coming in to help, will that assist IYHO? It would be good to understand the level of involvement they will have next year. My experience of SAP for the past 3 years at our club is that we have a great TD and he has been worth his weight. I am guessing that might be missing in the current SAP structure at NL.

A
    Cheers Alan!
    Yeah I've enjoyed it. I've learnt a lot about the kids and a lot about me too.

My understanding is that the new recruit will be utilised to bring some more rigour to the SAP structure - or oversight I guess is another term. We (SAP coaches) will have more deliberate, regular contact with that team.

Our technical director (Cas Wright) is great and extremely busy as she's TD across both community and premier groups. Building out this team and formalising reporting lines and support structure can only be a good thing (again, IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    so will you still be coaching SAP next season?
    I have applied (submitted an EOI) to continue coaching (and would progress to) U10s next season yes.

See my other post, but in a nutshell - I have enjoyed my experience but I think a more formalised structure will benefit all.

And by that I mean,
    - communication between coaches,
    - between club and coaches,
    - attracting and trialling players,
    - assessing players
    - setting up training programs, and assessing programs
    - goals/training outcome reviews
    etc.

Not inferring that the current system is terrible at all. But am happy that they are looking at solidifying it.
    Last edited by scowling; 15-09-2020 at 01:04 PM. Reason: (hopefully) removed ambiguity

Ive seen this too.

And by that I mean,
    - communication between coaches,
    - between club and coaches,
    - attracting and trialling players,
    - assessing players
    - setting up training programs, and assessing programs
    - goals/training outcome reviews
    Every clubs fantasy from the Jets to the Jesmond rams

Every clubs fantasy from the Jets to the Jesmond rams
    Fair call BS - although we shouldn't let the size of ambition stop the application of effort to achieve (even part of) it.