Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Premier Club SAP

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    I've only seen one elite u9 / u10 player that made it as a professional footballer - and he came from a small club (Brighton) and was surrounded by average at best players - but because of him they basically won everything against the best teams in the country at the time.

Overall, I don't know if these programs really make that much of a difference as the best kids pretty much do it on their own anyway.
    In a lot of way's [and I've not been involved for a very long time so things hopefully have changed] making kids at u9 or u10 view the game as a business rather than a social situation brings about a lot of disappointment and a massive reality check when they find out they were conned.
    when we were first sold on SAP, the point was made that it was there to try and combat the 3rd party operators offering the promise of elite football for kids (and charging accordingly). Everyone seemed to remember the good old days of our players coming through the clubs then onto international success. This program was designed to kick start the 'strength' of clubs from an early age, maybe breed some loyalty and give them a pathway to the NPL level. The very best of them would be picked along the way for the A-League affiliates and who knows from there.

for sure, kids will come from outside the system and thats cool. but by the time the kids should really be getting noticed (5 years away) they will be in a club environment not a 3rd party program. everyone approaches it differently, but i think its a good system, not perfect, but what is*?

from a personal perspective, my kid loves it. his only focus now is hopefully being good enough to get a spot next year. if not, he knows whats required to get back in. he knows hes not in the elite category, but wants to get the most out of it. from a parenting point of view we can see its taught him a lot about responsibility, teamwork and a general work ethic which has reflected in his general behaviour and especially his schooling. Im happy to pay a few extra bucks for him to be around like minded kids and awesome coaches and a strong club environment.

*well, Griff obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Doopche View Post
    it was more so the 9yr old taking the spots of the kids that already play in the 9s you imbecile.
    No one cares if a 9 yr old drops down to play his own age group if teams have players away or injured because where else can they get players from? It’s the point your club or the club you seem to know so much about did it to beat a so called undefeated team that you clearly stated, but that was just a coincidence because niel orr said it was okay �� I bet you have a table at home and count the scores and points of 9yr olds you sad human..
    You are taking this way too seriously. How would another team even know another team is undefeated. The scores aren't recorded or submitted anywhere. I can't figure out if you are upset your sons team lost or whether you feel a sense of injustice because a 9 year old played in under 9's?

Either way, who cares? As long as your son is being trained well, he's developing and he's enjoying his football nothing else matters.

I didn’t say the undefeated comment champ, get your facts straight... old mate did, I have no idea who’s won how many games or what like you boofheads on here seem to know.
    I came for a look over here when it was brought to my attention by someone else and then was baffled as to how into it you guys are over under 9s football, and I’m taking it too seriously? 🤔

it was more so the 9yr old taking the spots of the kids that already play in the 9s you imbecile.
    No one cares if a 9 yr old drops down to play his own age group if teams have players away or injured because where else can they get players from? It’s the point your club or the club you seem to know so much about did it to beat a so called undefeated team that you clearly stated, but that was just a coincidence because niel orr said it was okay �� I bet you have a table at home and count the scores and points of 9yr olds you sad human..

“It’s not about how hard you hit, it’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward”

Yeah I’ve seen Rocky as well you clown
    nah, you dont care about the parents of the kids that 'missed out'.

you dont, so stop pretending.

and i dont need a table to know results as i just listen to loudmouths in tracksuits behind benches blowing up at volunteer refs and life in general.

also, can you please make your mind up. i need to update my business card and dont know whether to put 'wanker', 'moron', 'imbecile', 'sad human' or 'clown' on it.
    and dont say all 5 because ink is expensive these days.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

I've only seen one elite u9 / u10 player that made it as a professional footballer - and he came from a small club (Brighton) and was surrounded by average at best players - but because of him they basically won everything against the best teams in the country at the time.

Overall, I don't know if these programs really make that much of a difference as the best kids pretty much do it on their own anyway.
    In a lot of way's [and I've not been involved for a very long time so things hopefully have changed] making kids at u9 or u10 view the game as a business rather than a social situation brings about a lot of disappointment and a massive reality check when they find out they were conned.
    I don't understand the point you are trying to make? Every player these days has come through an academy program of some variety be it here in Aus or overseas.

None of the kids playing view this as a business. They play because they love it or because their parents make them. The latter from what i see is a big minority.

My son played community football prior to this year with boys that were almost at his level of ability. This year Jr has played 3x as many games and has trained 2-3 times per week where as the boys who didn't join SAP train once a week over a much shorter period.

Comparing them now is impossible as the playing ability gap has grown exponentially.

Does this mean my son will make the a league? Probably not, the chances are miniscule. He'd need 100% commitment and for a lot of things to fall in the right way.

It has given him something to strive towards and a realistic view of his playing ability compared to the boys around him. At this stage i think he'd be happy to grow up and play NPL.

Is the system perfect? Probably not but its much more realistic than thinking Joe Blogs is going to play community football only and turn into the next A League or EPL star. That may have been possible in the past but is absolutely rubbish to expect that these days.

I didn’t say the undefeated comment champ, get your facts straight... old mate did, I have no idea who’s won how many games or what like you boofheads on here seem to know.
    I came for a look over here when it was brought to my attention by someone else and then was baffled as to how into it you guys are over under 9s football, and I’m taking it too seriously? ��
    This forum has actually been a very good medium for learning how clubs operate and how SAP works in general from other people I would likely never meet or talk with.
    Last year I had no idea what SAP is and how it works. If one person is more educated from this post or the forum in general then I think it is a good thing. finding details on trials last night for my son and his friends was a nightmare as well.

The only negative part is when keyboard warriors come on here behind the protection of anonymity and feel free to attack people like they never would have the balls to do in person.

If you don't like the medium - feel free to leave.

and then was baffled as to how into it you guys are over under 9s football, and I’m taking it too seriously? ��
    i know right, some people on here are legit too much.

like the bloke that came all the way over here to make his first post some defamatory shit about the reputations of coaches and clubs within the program.

The thing I’d like people’s thoughts on is teams like New lambton dropping kids from the 10s to play in the 9s just to get a win over the stronger teams and benching their regular players for the sake of winning.... piss poor if you ask me.
    or the one that peppers each post with personal insults because he refuses to believe a different point of view.

nope, lucky you and I are the good eggs on here.
    Hopefully everyone else can take a leaf out of our book.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    I don't understand the point you are trying to make? Every player these days has come through an academy program of some variety be it here in Aus or overseas.

None of the kids playing view this as a business. They play because they love it or because their parents make them. The latter from what i see is a big minority.

My son played community football prior to this year with boys that were almost at his level of ability. This year Jr has played 3x as many games and has trained 2-3 times per week where as the boys who didn't join SAP train once a week over a much shorter period.

Comparing them now is impossible as the playing ability gap has grown exponentially.

Does this mean my son will make the a league? Probably not, the chances are miniscule. He'd need 100% commitment and for a lot of things to fall in the right way.

It has given him something to strive towards and a realistic view of his playing ability compared to the boys around him. At this stage i think he'd be happy to grow up and play NPL.

Is the system perfect? Probably not but its much more realistic than thinking Joe Blogs is going to play community football only and turn into the next A League or EPL star. That may have been possible in the past but is absolutely rubbish to expect that these days.
    The point is that it's very difficult to see the finished product when they are nine or ten years old.
    Making the sport insular by restricting progression to a select few at that age makes little to no sense - and is probably going to be detrimental if kids that are late bloomers simply move to other sports or away from sport altogether.

Disregarding elite programs anyone can see that the level of non elite players has increased massively as far as technical skill goes.
    5th tier players today are doing things that rep players couldn't do 40 years ago.

I'm not against elite programs - I just think u9/u10 is too early.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 07-08-2019 at 02:02 PM.

I'm not against elite programs - I just think u9/u10 is too early.
    Don't elite clubs overseas start their academy programs younger than this?

I don't necessarily think 9's and 10's are too young. I just hate to think some kids miss out because they can't afford it. There should be scholarships available at least a couple per club paid for by the associations where a parent can prove that they have financial difficulties in meeting the payments.

I don't necessarily think 9's and 10's are too young. I just hate to think some kids miss out because they can't afford it. There should be scholarships available at least a couple per club paid for by the associations where a parent can prove that they have financial difficulties in meeting the payments.
    i think as well, that the clubs running this arent 'elite' in any sense of the word.
    Even the level down from 'elite' in our country (A-League) start at what, 12's?
    SAP is like pre-school for A-league.

I think the problem isnt about exclusionary tactics, its just the lack of facilities and coaches especially. It would prob be great to have 4 SAP teams per club per age group in order to include more kids. But you only have to look at the difference in coaching levels already in place to realise that there would be a lot of kids spending a lot of money and not getting the full benefits out of it.
    The best they can do at the moment is develop the kids they have, be open to getting new kids in who show promise in other levels of the game and go from there.

Also, love the scholarship ideas, would love to see it but lets face it, you're relying on the generosity of others to fund it, and at this level of the sport, theres not too many benefactors out there.
    Our club has stressed that if anyone has any issues with payment, the club is absolutely open to helping them out. Id suspect most clubs would have the same attitude.
    Seems like I am WRONG

What I can tell you from personal experience is that between U/9's though to U/18 around 75% of kids either stop playing or play other sports, it is impossible to pick out which kids at 9 will still be playing as 18 year olds and the most important thing a parent can do it just let them play. Every kid should enjoy his football and the only way to do that is to be playing at the correct level for his or her ability at that time. No one but the child will determine whether they achieve playing at a pro level. In most cases in what I have seen in many sports dedication, drive, persistence & work ethic will always triumph over talent only.
    I've seen hugely talented kids at 7 who the father has said to me the "my son will play for Man U" & 2 seasons later they are playing Rugby League, so everyone take a chill pill. Good Night.

Quote Originally Posted by Bull fighter View Post
    What I can tell you from personal experience is that between U/9's though to U/18 around 75% of kids either stop playing or play other sports, it is impossible to pick out which kids at 9 will still be playing as 18 year olds and the most important thing a parent can do it just let them play. Every kid should enjoy his football and the only way to do that is to be playing at the correct level for his or her ability at that time. No one but the child will determine whether they achieve playing at a pro level. In most cases in what I have seen in many sports dedication, drive, persistence & work ethic will always triumph over talent only.
    I've seen hugely talented kids at 7 who the father has said to me the "my son will play for Man U" & 2 seasons later they are playing Rugby League, so everyone take a chill pill. Good Night.
    yeah couldnt agree more. but i honestly think some people on the outside of this program think theres a bunch of delusional parents on the sidelines fending off approaches from EPL clubs.

its not.

again, this program is really to get kids ready for 14's and up. thats it. its all supposed to be about the training and the basic skills. coaches/parents putting on pressure on teams to 'win' in the program dont know whats going on. totally agree some people who should be setting better examples are living and dying by results, and yes i honestly think it will run off more kids than it develops and its a problem. but again, how do you solve every issue?

once they hit those older ages, if they are doing really well they will get scouted and on the roundabout they go and prob find their rightful place in footballs ladder, from the heights of SPL down to NPL.
    again, my kid is focused on getting a spot somewhere for next year because he loves every minute of it. thats all hes thinking of.
    most kids are the same, trust me i see a LOT of it.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Yes. Barca takes in around 200 or so six to eight year olds each year - And the goal is to turn them into Champions League Standard players by the time they are 18-21 years old.
    They also look after kids that didn't make the cut by sponsoring / donating and so on to other smaller clubs.
    In Australia this is simply not economically viable - these clubs have youth budgets that dwarf what the entire A-League spends on players.

You are an absolute wanker... saying 9yr olds are playing terrible football. Really?? They are still learning the game and they don’t need morons like you putting them down.
    Do you ever stop whinging? Get a life champ and leave the poor kids alone.

“3 teams are being raved about but are playing terrible football”. That will do me, they are 9yrs of age.
    It’s parents like you we need out of the game.
    Summed yourself up perfectly. No sport or website needs a moron like you. I cant see how any club except 1 would want an aids fest like you. I bet i picked it.

Sooner you disappear the better for your family, town, country, us all and so on.

Apologies to the good people in here trying to chat but over this.
    Last edited by finzee; 07-08-2019 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    yeah couldnt agree more. but i honestly think some people on the outside of this program think theres a bunch of delusional parents on the sidelines fending off approaches from EPL clubs.

its not.

again, this program is really to get kids ready for 14's and up. thats it. its all supposed to be about the training and the basic skills. coaches/parents putting on pressure on teams to 'win' in the program dont know whats going on. totally agree some people who should be setting better examples are living and dying by results, and yes i honestly think it will run off more kids than it develops and its a problem. but again, how do you solve every issue?

once they hit those older ages, if they are doing really well they will get scouted and on the roundabout they go and prob find their rightful place in footballs ladder, from the heights of SPL down to NPL.
    again, my kid is focused on getting a spot somewhere for next year because he loves every minute of it. thats all hes thinking of.
    most kids are the same, trust me i see a LOT of it.
    I’ve seen it all over the years the good, the bad & the ugly, all that matters is if your kid is loving it then your doing the right thing.

Do they have something along the lines of an FFA Cup for the u9 and U10 kids ?

When I was in that age bracket we played Cup games which essentially meant you played fixtures against teams in your state but not in your league or division throughout the year in a knockout competition. Teams were often mismatched in the early rounds - but upsets did occur as well which made it interesting.

We even exchanged flags with our opposition at the coin toss, and each player had a passport so as nobody could use ringins.

Do the kids today even understand the significance of exchanging flags with their opposition before a game ? Or is it something from the past that's no longer significant ?

I find it amusing that there is arguments over who is winning or not. All the passive aggressive comments, some not so passive simply proving that this group are also focused on the score lines.
    The whole idea of the game is to score more goals than the other team. What SAP is about for me is how the ball is managed and team positions themselves to get that result. It cant be changed that parents can only see results. That's why we don't coach. Kids and parents are there to win. I listen to the boys every week chat about how good the other team is going to be or what was the score last round. I think its wonderful they are competitive as the rest of life is competitive too

Yes you appear to know what club I'm from and when we play the better teams we don't move around either. Why? score more goals. let less in. Get over it. Brutally honest I have only seen 1 team this year who genuinely appear to change their team up after half time.
    This garbage here is why referees quit, kids get bad attitudes and committees dwindle. Now that we have all made comment ask yourself this weekend what can I do to make the kids enjoy the situation more or help a coach to provide more time for our kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired01 View Post
    I find it amusing that there is arguments over who is winning or not. All the passive aggressive comments, some not so passive simply proving that this group are also focused on the score lines.
    The whole idea of the game is to score more goals than the other team. What SAP is about for me is how the ball is managed and team positions themselves to get that result. It cant be changed that parents can only see results. That's why we don't coach. Kids and parents are there to win. I listen to the boys every week chat about how good the other team is going to be or what was the score last round. I think its wonderful they are competitive as the rest of life is competitive too

Yes you appear to know what club I'm from and when we play the better teams we don't move around either. Why? score more goals. let less in. Get over it. Brutally honest I have only seen 1 team this year who genuinely appear to change their team up after half time.
    This garbage here is why referees quit, kids get bad attitudes and committees dwindle. Now that we have all made comment ask yourself this weekend what can I do to make the kids enjoy the situation more or help a coach to provide more time for our kids.
    completely agree here.
    the only point im trying make (seemingly poorly) is that the 'how' is very very important.
    the kids know they won or lost, but as long as the coach and parents are prioritising the 'how' they won or lost to me is the most important thing.

one of the best teams in the program has these 3 fantastic players, (all the kids on the team are good but these 3 are outstanding). anyway most times i see them the coach plays them all up front together one half, then all down the back the other half. i watched a game where they put on a few goals in the first half, but in the 2nd half the other team was charging back. the coach refused to budge and played his 3 stars in unfamiliar positions to see out the match. the temptation was there just to stick the stars back up front and make it easy, but he obviously wanted these players to stick to the plan. thought it was a great piece of coaching and it made me wonder how many other coaches would have just stuck the superstars back up front in order to get some goals and win the game.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Banned
    Hahah just read through this. Sounds like some very competitive dads in here living through their kids. Just relax guys. A lot of complaining about coaching as well, why don’t you guys put your hands up to help out? I mean what sort of coaches do you think this grade would attract unless they have a son playing in the team, because I don’t think the pay is what attracts them. I’ve noticed a few ex 1st grade players helping out at a few teams which I’m pretty sure all have kids in the teams and don’t seem to be too bad from what I’ve seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaa Yaa View Post
    A lot of complaining about coaching as well, why don’t you guys put your hands up to help out?
    thankfully my kid has a really really good coach, id actually love to do it, and help out at training whenever I can.
    Simple fact is im not as good a coach as the bloke that has the job, if and when my kid and his coach get seperated id like to think ill step up if required.

If you consider some observations on the differing levels of coaches as 'complaining' then ok.
    I see it more as trying to find the balance between getting as many kids into the system as possible, but making sure they are getting the right type of coaching. Id put it more on NNSW rather than the coaches, if they are gonna charge the money they are asking, then emphasis needs to be put on implementing the program. Agreed, i see the same ex-players you do, and think they do a great job. I just hope if NNSW see a regular dad out there doing his best that they offer the support and structure needed to implement the program.

I think something else to look for in reference to your 'living through your kids' line is that 'most' people posting on here arent discussing how red hot their little Johnny is. You'll also notice we dont talk scores, use team names, player names etc in most cases as i think singling out individuals isnt the point. Its more about how clubs approach it, info on trials and a bit of insight into what everyone else is doing.

but i get what you're saying, ive been dragged down there a couple of times, but we are trying to keep it nice and cheerful.
    Seems like I am WRONG