Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Jetstream Speak with Lawrie & Ernie

The Jetstream Speak with Lawrie & Ernie

We've been fortunate enough to arrange a date to speak with Lawrie and Ernie separately about the upcoming season and pose to them the questions you'd like answered.

As with previous years, please pose the questions below, and who it's addressed to.

We will be moderating the questions, so be mindful of this and frame them in a reasonable manner.

Question submissions will close on October 1st.

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Either:
    How’d the signing of Hoolahan come about? Will you be calling him Wessi?

What was the biggest weakness of 18/19 and how have we addressed it for this season?

Did the club tell Dimi to lose the mullet?

Ernie: Are we working on more then one system of play/formation this season?

Either: If a good LB comes up on our radar will we look to sign them as I feel our squad is desperately short in that position.

Awesome Stuff Jeterpool keep it up
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Ernie. Nigel Boogaard has had a few injury woes in recent times. Will the club be offering him a three or five year contract extension ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Ernie. Nigel Boogaard has had a few injury woes in recent times. Will the club be offering him a three or five year contract extension ?
    Oh dear.
    “The club has never had intentions of renewing Nigel’s contract for a 5 year extension. In an effort to please fans, we take on board this suggestion and will table a deal as early as close of business today to ensure Nigel’s future is with the club.”

thought about coming on here and posting some truly ridiculous questions in order to make myself and pv4 laugh, but legit, im just praying that Gypo CEO might show you guys enough respect to at least reply to your questions with some skerrick of honestly or at least not treat you like idiots and lie straight to your faces.

hashtagthoughtsandprayers
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

My best first attempt below. Hopefully I have worded them in an easily-moderatable way, if needed. As with every year I understand and respect if any/all don't get asked. No promises that I'm done or not, if more come to me I'll add them to this thread. Thanks as always to phernz & j-pool for this opportunity, it truly is unreal that we are able to do this each year. Also, as always, thanks to plaguesey.

Questions for Lawrie:

LM - at the end of last seasons preseason interview with the Jerkstream you said it was too easy and expected harder hitting questions. What preparation have you put into this years interview, considering the challenge you threw us last year?

LM - are the fans able to be given an insight into the loose specs of Joey Champness' upgraded deal? Have we agreed to pay him more money even though he has been allowed to leave the club indefinitely? Does any of this deal count towards the salary cap when he is not in Australia and training/playing with the squad? Has Joey undertaken some form of fitness regime whilst away in the possible scenario that he does return home to play football, and if so is this administered and monitored by the club?

LM - again this year we have released kits which do not feature the Newcastle town colours of emerald & cinnamon. Was this colour combination given any consideration by the club, and if not why not? The gold and navy combination worn originally by the club was also again not used. What is the process on the kit design each year, do the club recommend and ask Viva for certain things and options are produced or do Viva have full control? Is there any desire from the club to seek fan input into kits in future, and if so in what way and when?

LM - this year seemed to have the least preseason inclusions for the club as a whole since Mr Lee took over the club. The youth did not go to the Weifang Cup, the senior team did not head overseas as a group, and no players were sent abroad like Joey Champness & Antonee Burke were a few years back. Were the decisions to have a downplayed preseason mostly because of financial restraints, or if not why were we not as active this year? Is there any plans to send the Youth Team abroad again, and if so when and where? Is this seen as a pivotal role in the development of those young players, both on and off the field, by the club?

LM - can we please have some insight into the decision to relocate the Academy to the Sydney NPL setup? My brief understanding is the senior teams will join NPL4, and the Acadmey teams NPL2. What are the club doing to ensure parents don't realise it will be easier to have their kids play for the Mariners Academy (NPL2 seniors and NPL1 juniors respectively) or even CCU in NPL3, seeing as though they are being based in Sydney primarily anyway? Are extra resources being pushed into the Academy to earn promotion from NPL4 in the quickest way possible, and if so what are these resources? What level does the club see the NNSW NPL compared to the Sydney NPL, as in at what division does the club perceive the competition to be as good or better than what the club was already playing in? If promotion from NPL4 upwards doesn't happen instantly, is this considered a backwards step for the club? What feedback from the parents of Academy kids have you had so far on the relocation? Have any of them confirmed they can't travel to Sydney every other week, or have most been positive? If kids were to drop out due to the travel, what plans does the club have to bring new kids in?

LM - if the club were drawn to host a future FFA Cup game, where would this game be played? In the past it has always been at the home of Broadmeadow Magic, but since then we have also had Maitland and Edgeworth host televised games.

LM - with not renewing Ronald Vargas' contract, does the club now have no marquee players on the books? Is there plans to bring in another marquee player, has this been budgeted for, and if so what methods of scouting is the club using to find this player?

LM - you stated when Clayton Zane announced he was leaving the club that this move was not because of financial issues and that the budget had catered for 2 assistant coaches, but also that there were no plans to replace him. Have these budgeted funds for a second coach been used elsewhere?

LM - F3 Derby Legends game. After two consecutive years of this match, why was this not played last season? In our preseason chat last offseason you confirmed it would be hosted at Hunter Stadium - what happened to those plans? Is there plans to bring this game back this season, and if so when and where? Who is in control of selecting the sides for this match, and what players would we expect to see line up for the Jets?

LM - what fan engagement has the club planned for during the season?

LM - has the club moved on the multiple requests stretching over many, many years from fans to make a jet shaped hat?

LM - does Mr Lee have this club open for sale, and if so are you and/or him and/or the FFA actively searching for a buyer or would it just be a consideration if the right person knocked on the door?

LM - what are the minimum expectations for the team finishing position on the ladder this season? What kpis do the players, Ernie and yourself have to achieve to consider this season not a failure?

Questions for Ernie:

EM - what local Newcastle NPL players have you and the club identified as potential squad players for the senior squad? Do you trial local NPL players regularly? Comparing the Newcastle NPL to Victoria, Sydney, etc what do you perceive is the strengths and weaknesses of our local competition and what we need to do to reach the heights the other comps are at? Before the FFA Cup game, your team lined up against an Edgeworth Eagles side with only 1 player aged over 22 years old. How many of these Edgy kids plus players from the other local NPL sides have you considered to sign or trial with the team?

EM - how have you perceived the development of young players thru the Academy team to date, and do you see the development of youth from the club enough for the future or do you think more focus is required in this area? Is there anything you see lacking for our academy that would be ideal to the development of local youngsters?

EM - how did you find the ACL with the club last season? What did you think went right and wrong for the club, both on and off the field? Did you think the competition was good for player development? What were the main positives you took from the experience? How did it differ from your previous experience in the ACL?

EM - after losing Daniel Georgievski in the offseason, was it hard losing your only other recognised Left Back in Ivan Vujica also? How big a loss to the squad both on and off the field are these two players?

EM - with the club having a notable less budget than the last few years, including losing the budget for a marquee player, has your on-field expectations decreased to align with the lower budget? At what point is it too much to ask for more, when given less? What are the minimum expectations for you this season in terms of ladder position, player development, national team callups and general statistics? 2 seasons ago you managed to guide the team to second place, is this achievable again in your eyes? Do you consider finishing outside the top 6 a failure?

EM - you were quoted saying along the lines of stats lie, given last season the club produced a high amount of chances for little end product. What work have you put into the team this offseason to ensure our chances turn into goals, and in turn wins on the board?

EM - was it a hard decision to let home grown player Nick Cowburn go this offseason? Being only mid 20s in age will the club continue to monitor his progress, with the eye to bring the former youth team captain back into the squad?

EM - have you ever seriously considered signing Daniel McBreen to your squad? This is your chance to publicly bring him down a notch or two. What did you think of his fluke attempted-backpass goal that he could never recreate again in the FFA Cup game?
    OK

/thread.

Run sheet done
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

pv4 on fire!!!!
    Slow day in the office mate?

Dave and Furns should take or send PV4 to the recording.

Great effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Dave and Furns should take or send PV4 to the recording.

Great effort.
    Pv4 will be going with Furns if he can. I can't get the day off work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post

pv4 on fire!!!!
    Slow day in the office mate?
    M8 this day comes around once a year and you think I don't have these banked up?
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    M8 this day comes around once a year and you think I don't have these banked up?
    Well, I just figured that you would have already had all these chats with Lawrie and your other gypo mates...

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    hashtagnameofyoursextape
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Bump - Get your questions in

Firstly, great job with the podcast! The recent interviews with Wes and Pat were appreciated. All power to you all for getting all Jets info together.

Excellent list PV4!

My (naive) question for Lawrie, is what is the budget for the "overall" club for this season and what is the expected loss for this coming season and how does it compare to last season. Hopefully this leads to some discussion around the club's financial health.

Perhaps something also around if there is anything to update on the Wes' injury and replacement. How serious are they on this replacement, but i'm sure you will be all over this.

On an aside, consumed (binged) The Championship Chronicles leading up to last season. Absolutely brilliant. You've done an exceptional job there to benchmark history. The range of people you spoke with was great and their different stories / perspectives were really enjoyable to hear. The sound quality was good too. I will be listening to this again at some point. Pity we couldn't repeat it in 2018...... note to self - let it go.......

Quote Originally Posted by gussie_l View Post
    Excellent list PV4!
    pv4 now openly using multis to praise his own terrible posts.
    sad.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by gussie_l View Post
    Firstly, great job with the podcast! The recent interviews with Wes and Pat were appreciated. All power to you all for getting all Jets info together.

Excellent list PV4!

My (naive) question for Lawrie, is what is the budget for the "overall" club for this season and what is the expected loss for this coming season and how does it compare to last season. Hopefully this leads to some discussion around the club's financial health.

Perhaps something also around if there is anything to update on the Wes' injury and replacement. How serious are they on this replacement, but i'm sure you will be all over this.

On an aside, consumed (binged) The Championship Chronicles leading up to last season. Absolutely brilliant. You've done an exceptional job there to benchmark history. The range of people you spoke with was great and their different stories / perspectives were really enjoyable to hear. The sound quality was good too. I will be listening to this again at some point. Pity we couldn't repeat it in 2018...... note to self - let it go.......
    Thanks very much. I appreciate the kind words.

Will add your questions to the list. Thanks for the submission

Not sure if this was mentioned in pv4’s giant post - but I noticed from the fox sports promo pics that again we will have white numbers. Can we please ask why these are no longer gold like they were a few seasons ago (Heskey era)? The A-League logo on the home kit would also have looked better gold imo.

Banned
    I see no mention of the Jet Shaped Hats

WTF