Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 19/20 HAL Round 3 | Newcastle Jets v Adelaide Utd | Sat 26/10/19 1930

Quote Originally Posted by Jetkel View Post
    No where near as far off as some make us out to be. Game should of been wrapped up at half time. Poor finishing is hurting us. On the bright side, the movement is good, we're getting into good positions & we (at times) play some decent football.

Whinging for the sake of whinging by the usual suspects.
    Totally agree.

The usual poor performances by the usual suspects give us reason to be frustrated or whinge as you put it JK.

Game should of been wrapped up at half time. Poor finishing is hurting us..
    You have nailed it - but the problem is can we fix it before we fall away? Looking at what we have on deck we don't have the tools or the depth if Arroyo or Dimi get a 1-3 week injury.

Only one stat matters - goals.

Poor finishing is hurting us.
    totally agree here, and i actually think its an improvement on recent years when we are poor at actual football.
    Saturday was as step in the right direction.
    and once The Coach and CEO fix the problems that even Captain Obvious can see then we'll be fine and mathematically in the hunt for the finals.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    totally agree here, and i actually think its an improvement on recent years when we are poor at actual football.
    Saturday was as step in the right direction.
    and once The Coach and CEO fix the problems that even Captain Obvious can see then we'll be fine and mathematically in the hunt for the finals.
    Coach didnt fix the same problems last season
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

love at first sight

Bert said on the pod that the Irish fullback is a back-up, not necessarily expected to start regularly, and that he is neither fit nor used to the heat yet

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    Bert said on the pod that the Irish fullback is a back-up, not necessarily expected to start regularly, and that he is neither fit nor used to the heat yet
    And club management probs wonder why many of us just scratch our heads in disbelief at some of the amateurish shit it does. Bring a bloke halfway around the world take up a visa spot and then refer to him as a back up and not expected to start regularly, FMD perhaps Bert and our Gypo CEO can become back ups also.

Vujica was a better left back then Johnny yet was made a backup. Facts are Facts Ernie has favourites and those players will play regardless of form
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

love at first sight

A-League: International call-ups could hit Jets for six

James Gardiner

Local Sport

ERNIE Merrick has welcomed the Jets' short turnaround for the clash against Sydney FC at Leichhardt Oval on Friday night, but the experienced coach also has an eye ahead to round six and the possibility of being without six players.

The battle with new club Western United in Geelong on November 16 is in the middle of the next FIFA International window, which extends from November 12-20.

The Jets have already received notification that midfielder Matthew Ridenton will be selected in the New Zealand squad to play a friendly in Dublin.

Merrick also expects Abdiel Arroyo to be recalled to the Panama squad for games against Mexico and the United Arab Emirates.

Dimi Petratos is in an extended Socceroos squad for a World Cup qualifier in Jordan on November 15.

Johnny Koutroumbis and Angus Thurgate are likely to be away with Olyroos for a friendly tournament in China.

Northern Ireland under-21s, of which Bobby Burns has previously been captain, meet Romania in a European Championship qualifier in Balymena.

The A-League scrapped international breaks this season due to the introduction of Western United and a need for more playing dates.

Under A-League guidelines, clubs can request to have games rescheduled if they have four under-23 players or a combination of under-23 and 'A' internationals players away on representative duty.

The match between Sydney and Melbourne Victory has been pushed back a day to November 17 to allow players enough time to return.

"We could lose a few players and I'm not sure what the situation is regarding postponing games," Merrick said. "I know roughly what the rules are but I don't know how they will be applied. I will speak to Lawrie about it."

Merrick, despite the potential for a weakened squad, wants his players pushing for international selection.

"I think it is a such good thing when you get the opportunity to represent your country," he said. "We will never stop anyone from playing for their country."

The Jets are awaiting official notification of the players who are selected before they discuss the matter with A-League boss Greg O'Rourke.

"We have to wait and see," Merrick said. "Different countries notify you in different ways. Some notify you early, some late, some name an extended squad and cut it back. We just have to prepare for it. If we have enough fit players, it won't be a problem."

Of immediate concern for Merrick was preparing for Sydney and notching the Jets' first win of the season after they gave up a 1-0 lead to go down 2-1 to Adelaide at home on Saturday.

"The boys are pretty keen to play against Sydney," Merrick said. "It's a good thing that it is a short turnaround ... no-one wants to be out of the finals and currently we are third bottom. That is not a good position to be in."

Sydney are also smarting after losing 1-0 to fierce rivals Western Sydney, despite the Sky Blues dominating large periods.

"Sydney are a top team," Merrick said. "They have proved it over the past couple of years and have retained most of their players. That was their first loss, so obviously it is going to be a tough one, but Wanderers beat them and I think that is the way this season is going to go. Anyone can take points from anyone else, and we have to back ourselves to beat any team we are up against if we stick to our structures."

Jason Hoffman is in doubt with a tight calf and Merrick hinted at potential changes.

"There are a few putting their hands up to start," he said.

Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...