Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Local Sports Grounds

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YewYew View Post
    Any1 know what is happening with Olympics ground upgrades? These been talked about for long time now but not heard anything. Plan was to remove cricket pitch, demolition old grandstand and build new with tiered seating. did this get off the ground?
    Thought they were also building a clubhouse over in the corner as well??

Just read that Olympics ground upgrades ain't happening cos of the sports ground grant Bullsh*t. they met all criteria but money went elsewhere. disgraceful.

Just read that Olympics ground upgrades ain't happening cos of the sports ground grant Bullsh*t. they met all criteria but money went elsewhere. disgraceful.
    Disgraceful that one of the best elite grounds in the region isn't being upgraded over other grounds that don't even have irrigation or lights. What a shame.

Where did you read this Yew

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    Disgraceful that one of the best elite grounds in the region isn't being upgraded over other grounds that don't even have irrigation or lights. What a shame.
    Exactly what defines best and elite if you putting Darling Street Oval in that category??

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Where did you read this Yew
    https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/s...ng-saga/?cs=12

Now didnt these rorts happen in govt held seats? Pretty sure Newcastle is commy plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Police View Post
    https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/s...ng-saga/?cs=12

Now didnt these rorts happen in govt held seats? Pretty sure Newcastle is commy plus.
    The money went to Lib seats or where the Libs thought they had a chance of winning. Labor seats missed out.

$500k from Council, $500k from Feds and $200k from the club. Wow.

There are so many grounds in Newcastle that are more in need of Council's money than Darling Street, Kudos to the club for raising the $200k, talking Council into $500k and getting the bid approved by the sports commission. Pity for the club that it has fallen over.

Now, can Council spend that $500k on other grounds?????
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    The money went to Lib seats or where the Libs thought they had a chance of winning. Labor seats missed out.
    Well went to Labour seats that might have swung to Liberal. The federal seat of Newcastle and for that matter the federal seat of Shortland will always vote ALP no matter what so both parties tend to ignore us because one knows there are no votes and the other knows they won't lose the votes.

It is impressive considering the amount of other fields that are in need for a 1/5 of that.

Doubt it, Newcastle Council doesn't like spending money on their grounds at the best of times.

Banned
    So their bid was given the green light as a Possible club to get the State funding? Or were they assured then lost it?

Man i think many clubs could do with 100k

There are so many grounds in Newcastle that are more in need of Council's money than Darling Street, Kudos to the club for raising the $200k, talking Council into $500k and getting the bid approved by the sports commission. Pity for the club that it has fallen over.

Olympic do all the work to get $1.2m, & now ovver clubs should get some of that now? Pull yr heads in. If ppl want to improve do the wrk to get the funds. Simples

Olympic do all the work to get $1.2m, & now ovver clubs should get some of that now? Pull yr heads in. If ppl want to improve do the wrk to get the funds. Simples
    Yes the $1M from ratepayers and taxpayers should be spread amongst clubs.

Firstly, Olympic did all the work and did not get the $1.2. The have $200k of their own money.

Read my post again. I asked if the $500k that Council set aside for what is now a failed bid should now be used on other grounds. I think using that money for sports fields rather than seeing it reallocated to some other project would be a desirable outcome.

So, pull your head in and read carefully before working yourself up.

Did all the work? dig foundations, organise labour, ordered materials, had architects drawings ready or put paperwork in so that other tax payers can pay 80% to make one club huge. Rather everyone put in the forms and spread it round

Firstly, Olympic did all the work and did not get the $1.2. The have $200k of their own money.

Read my post again. I asked if the $500k that Council set aside for what is now a failed bid should now be used on other grounds. I think using that money for sports fields rather than seeing it reallocated to some other project would be a desirable outcome.

So, pull your head in and read carefully before working yourself up.
    Olympic worked hard to put in a council approved grant. No1 else did. So now council now should just divvy up the $$$ to every1 else??? Council saw the opportunities in having another decent ground, to bid for other events. Spending that $$$ on fixing up parks ain’t gonna bring them nothing is it?

Quote Originally Posted by finzee View Post
    Did all the work? dig foundations, organise labour, ordered materials, had architects drawings ready or put paperwork in so that other tax payers can pay 80% to make one club huge. Rather everyone put in the forms and spread it round
    Yeah, did all the work. Show me the ovver applications for that money.

I will wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    Yes the $1M from ratepayers and taxpayers should be spread amongst clubs.

If a club wants to do the work, prepare the paperwork to gain a government grant good on them and if other clubs want to do the same go ahead.
    Seems like the typical tall poppy syndrome at the moment is alive and well in this town, we should be jumping up and down about the grants and where they went, not bagging a club for applying.
    I think all the top clubs should be going for this sort of stuff. The Victorian PL is a classic example, the grounds/setups the top teams have down there, any club around here would sell there grandmother for.
    So how about we embrace the fact they have the fortitude to go for it, and the upside would be that Magic wont get all the big games...…LOL.

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    much easier to have hashtags and pester comments on the Newcastle Herald Facebook page than actually plan and apply for grants

#dickheads

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    much easier to have hashtags and pester comments on the Newcastle Herald Facebook page than actually plan and apply for grants

#dickheads
    100% correct

Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post
    If a club wants to do the work, prepare the paperwork to gain a government grant good on them and if other clubs want to do the same go ahead.
    Seems like the typical tall poppy syndrome at the moment is alive and well in this town, we should be jumping up and down about the grants and where they went, not bagging a club for applying.
    I think all the top clubs should be going for this sort of stuff. The Victorian PL is a classic example, the grounds/setups the top teams have down there, any club around here would sell there grandmother for.
    So how about we embrace the fact they have the fortitude to go for it, and the upside would be that Magic wont get all the big games...…LOL.
    100% agree

Olympic worked hard to put in a council approved grant. No1 else did. So now council now should just divvy up the $$$ to every1 else??? Council saw the opportunities in having another decent ground, to bid for other events. Spending that $$$ on fixing up parks ain’t gonna bring them nothing is it?
    You are still not getting it. You seem to letting your warmth toward Olympic get in the way.

Firstly, good on Olympic for going for it. Would have been great to get it done...but it isn't getting done.

Secondly, Olympic aren't the only club that applied or does apply for grants.

My understanding is that the Council money was dependent on the governemnt grant. This is not unusual. No government grant means no Council money. All Olympic have is their own $200k. However, the Council clearly has earmarked $500k for the now failed grant.

The question I posed was this: Don't you think that the $500k from Council would be best spent sports grounds rather than footpaths or more market sites?

Perhaps you think that the failed bid should result in Olympic getting the $500k so they can half do the project?

Regardless of the politics, corruption etc that occurred, the bid unfortunately failed. So where should the Council $500k go? Edden, Alder, National Park? Or should Olympic get it and do half the job?

Discuss:
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen