Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Local Sports Grounds

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    You are still not getting it. You seem to letting your warmth toward Olympic get in the way.

Firstly, good on Olympic for going for it. Would have been great to get it done...but it isn't getting done.

Secondly, Olympic aren't the only club that applied or does apply for grants.

My understanding is that the Council money was dependent on the governemnt grant. This is not unusual. No government grant means no Council money. All Olympic have is their own $200k. However, the Council clearly has earmarked $500k for the now failed grant.

The question I posed was this: Don't you think that the $500k from Council would be best spent sports grounds rather than footpaths or more market sites?

Perhaps you think that the failed bid should result in Olympic getting the $500k so they can half do the project?

Regardless of the politics, corruption etc that occurred, the bid unfortunately failed. So where should the Council $500k go? Edden, Alder, National Park? Or should Olympic get it and do half the job?

Discuss:
    Well now you put it like that... my footpath needs fixing and me wife loves shopping so a market nearby wud be good. Do I send the application to u Hunter?

Quote Originally Posted by YewYew View Post
    Well now you put it like that... my footpath needs fixing and me wife loves shopping so a market nearby wud be good. Do I send the application to u Hunter?
    No worries, so you would like to see the money go into general Council activities rather than grounds? Cool, each to their own. Personally, I'd love to see it used for better sporting facilities around town, particularly football.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

No worries, so you would like to see the money go into general Council activities rather than grounds? Cool, each to their own. Personally, I'd love to see it used for better sporting facilities around town, particularly football.
    Just saw this forum. Fave topic Council!. Olympic....failed bid and they vomited to the Herald about their "development and community" and their WPL.....what a crock. The grant was submitted before they even had WPL, they didn't get it because they were (and still are if we are all honest), a club with 200 male members looking to develop a facility in the heart of Newcastle's Bronx. Olympic inherited a WPL to play politics. Everyone knows it. Grant funds?......Aaahhh thanks but no thanks. I see NL are officially on Edden now according to draws in NEWFM. Once the ground is repaired they have 4 games and apparently a letter of intent for 2021. I have seen the independent audit about ground use and asset development recommendations in Newcastle Sports Grounds. Edden is slated to become what Olympic wanted. In the middle of the precinct. Olympic are miles off entering a national Second tier and Edden will house Jaffas, NL NPL and NL WPL. NL will go into an NPL now they have a foot in the door. Shrewd operators strong balance sheet and smarter than the clubs surrounding them. They have been planning this for 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Onyatoes View Post
    Just saw this forum. Fave topic Council!. Olympic....failed bid and they vomited to the Herald about their "development and community" and their WPL.....what a crock. The grant was submitted before they even had WPL, they didn't get it because they were (and still are if we are all honest), a club with 200 male members looking to develop a facility in the heart of Newcastle's Bronx. Olympic inherited a WPL to play politics. Everyone knows it. Grant funds?......Aaahhh thanks but no thanks. I see NL are officially on Edden now according to draws in NEWFM. Once the ground is repaired they have 4 games and apparently a letter of intent for 2021. I have seen the independent audit about ground use and asset development recommendations in Newcastle Sports Grounds. Edden is slated to become what Olympic wanted. In the middle of the precinct. Olympic are miles off entering a national Second tier and Edden will house Jaffas, NL NPL and NL WPL. NL will go into an NPL now they have a foot in the door. Shrewd operators strong balance sheet and smarter than the clubs surrounding them. They have been planning this for 3 years.
    Mate, you seem to have some issues with current NPL clubs. Chill a bit.
    Clearly you are heavily invested with New Lambton, and that is great, but the criticsim of nearby clubs is unnecessary. Each club does its best to do what it sees as its way forward. Olympic, Magic, and Jaffas were all New Lambtons in their past and did what NL is doing now, only they did it years ago. Credit where credit is due. All have worked hard to create good clubs and to improve their facilties where they can. Magic Park and Darling street are mostly like they are because of club effort.

Seems you were right on the New Lambton on Edden. Now a poor ground will only get worse. The repairs won't suddenly turn it into a playing paradise. Maybe NL would have been better using their bank balance to pay to use No 2. Now that would show intent and give the players a good surface. By the time the NL games on Edden come around, it will be no better than it is now. Perhaps NL see themselves as replacing Jaffas? Maybe you can enlighten us on the 3 years of planning? Is that their goal?

I too have seen the independent report. It is wonderful. The only thing missing is where the $ will come from to create the wonderful hub for football. I won't hold my breath waiting.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Banned
    NL will go into an NPL now they have a foot in the door. Shrewd operators strong balance sheet and smarter than the clubs surrounding them. They have been planning this for 3 years.
    10 years of fleecing juniors through one of the highest regos will do that.

Still chest puffing about having the most juniors in the southern hemisphere but cant get enough volunteers to do all the work?

Club isnt winning any integrity regardless where ever it goes

I don't know how anyone thinks that one ground can support an NPL club (and youth + SAP teams), an NL1 club + youth teams and a WPL club/program. Or are all the youth teams getting punted to another facility?
    Merewether United WPL have 5 games at Arthur Edden this year, we were hoping for all of them (2 are at #2 and 4 at Myamblah).

The simple reality is that there are not enough good quality facilities to support the desired use.

Council should move the athletics from Alder Park and let New Lambton go nuts.

Merewether can be friends with the Jaffa's.... and Arthur Edden not be a male only facility...

Honestly, whoever is making decisions in council has absolutely no clue...

Quote Originally Posted by late_to_the_game View Post
    I don't know how anyone thinks that one ground can support an NPL club (and youth + SAP teams), an NL1 club + youth teams and a WPL club/program. Or are all the youth teams getting punted to another facility?
    Merewether United WPL have 5 games at Arthur Edden this year, we were hoping for all of them (2 are at #2 and 4 at Myamblah).

The simple reality is that there are not enough good quality facilities to support the desired use.

Council should move the athletics from Alder Park and let New Lambton go nuts.

Merewether can be friends with the Jaffa's.... and Arthur Edden not be a male only facility...

Honestly, whoever is making decisions in council has absolutely no clue...
    I hear this. Jaffas run at Arthur Edden can’t stay like it us. NL sound like they gonna get a piece & yr Merewether girls playing there tells me time’s up on jaffas monopoly. Wallarah ain’t getting used like it should so why not make it all one big hub & let those 3 clubs share? NF don’t need Wallarah. All there net games can easy be played elsewhere. Some1 need to step up and get NF to share.

Quote Originally Posted by YewYew View Post
    I hear this. Jaffas run at Arthur Edden can’t stay like it us. NL sound like they gonna get a piece & yr Merewether girls playing there tells me time’s up on jaffas monopoly. Wallarah ain’t getting used like it should so why not make it all one big hub & let those 3 clubs share? NF don’t need Wallarah. All there net games can easy be played elsewhere. Some1 need to step up and get NF to share.
    Why can't Jaffas run at Arthur Edden stay as it is? It is no different to Olympic on Darling Street, Edgy on Jack McLaoughlan, Lakes on Macquarie Field and Adamstown on Adamstown Oval. This argument about Jaffas and Edden is looking more and more like a campaign from New Lambton to get what they want.

So based on this, should Adamstown, Olympic, Magic, Edgy, Lakes, Weston, Maitland all be worried about their runs on their respective grounds being over? Should Edgy make room for Westy or Southy? Should Adamstown Oval and its multitude of surrounding grounds be shared with Wallsend or Kahibah or New Lambton?

IF the Wallarah/Blackley/Edden fields ever get turned into a regional hub with quality facilities (hopefully at some time while we all still breath), then bring on sharing. Until then, Edden can't cope, Wallarah is used by NF and Blackley is a goat track (I walk over it on the way to Jets games).

Perhaps, if what you say about NF not needing Wallarah is right, New Lambton could investigate playing there? Better than Alder.

Banned
    Why can't Jaffas run at Arthur Edden stay as it is? It is no different to Olympic on Darling Street, Edgy on Jack McLaoughlan, Lakes on Macquarie Field and Adamstown on Adamstown Oval. This argument about Jaffas and Edden is looking more and more like a campaign from New Lambton to get what they want.

So based on this, should Adamstown, Olympic, Magic, Edgy, Lakes, Weston, Maitland all be worried about their runs on their respective grounds being over? Should Edgy make room for Westy or Southy? Should Adamstown Oval and its multitude of surrounding grounds be shared with Wallsend or Kahibah or New Lambton?

IF the Wallarah/Blackley/Edden fields ever get turned into a regional hub with quality facilities (hopefully at some time while we all still breath), then bring on sharing. Until then, Edden can't cope, Wallarah is used by NF and Blackley is a goat track (I walk over it on the way to Jets games).

Perhaps, if what you say about NF not needing Wallarah is right, New Lambton could investigate playing there? Better than Alder.
    That being said

If you were to get New Lambton and the women plus Hard as playing there you starting to make a compelling case for the Council to install an artificial pitch aren't you??

Surely that is a way ahead for clubs and council with an artificial pitch increasing usage 5 fold

So based on this, should Adamstown, Olympic, Magic, Edgy, Lakes, Weston, Maitland all be worried about their runs on their respective grounds being over? Should Edgy make room for Westy or Southy? Should Adamstown Oval and its multitude of surrounding grounds be shared with Wallsend or Kahibah or New Lambton?.
    Exactly.

NL already have 3 grounds. Novo, Alder and a large share of Regent.

They used to share Adamstown No1 with Rosebuds. Cant get back there?

Starting to look like a hermit crab looking for an easy home.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    That being said

If you were to get New Lambton and the women plus Hard as playing there you starting to make a compelling case for the Council to install an artificial pitch aren't you??

Surely that is a way ahead for clubs and council with an artificial pitch increasing usage 5 fold
    Chicken and egg stuff.
    Get the facilities right first or flog the current facilities in the hope they will be made right? I'm not holding my breath that Council will ever act on the grounds plan

This argument about Jaffas and Edden is looking more and more like a campaign from New Lambton to get what they want.
    Think you hit the nail on the head there mate.

NL are a club who look for an easy fix vs trying to improve their own facilities. First it was Adamstown, now they’re trying it with Edden.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post

NL are a club who look for an easy fix vs trying to improve their own facilities. First it was Adamstown, now theyÂ’re trying it with Edden.
    Does anyone in these threads actually have an idea or do they simply spew forth drivel and make it up as they go? History Lesson. 1917 football played at Hobart Road by New Lambton under association governance. 1946/47 saw the Monash Road precinct (Wallarah) developed with New Lambton as Champions of 1st Div. In 1974/75 New Lambton were again 1st Div Champions and Runners Up in State Cup (FFA Cup). They played out of..... Edden and in 1981, they were relegated and blamed for damage at Edden when Jaffas moved in. Damage that Jaffas admit was at their hand if you listen to urban local gossip. New Lambton were financially gone and headed to 5th Division where they played over a period against clubs like Broadmeadow Macedonia and Hamilton Olympic. As they moved back up Divisions they ended up at Adamstown where they owned ZPL for a decade. NCC moved them to Alder when Rosebuds were promoted from NEWFM back to NPL and NPL criteria kicked in. Just as their Committee started to develop commercially and their Juniors boomed. Council promised them Alder Development which they backed out of. NL then turned their attention to Council who eventually suggested joint Edden development as it was underutilised. NL jumped at it. Jaffas stalled but knew they needed a partner. NL at Edden means they are simply going home you moron. Postcode 2305.....check maps. There are so many parrots around football locally who have a very single minded view of tomorrow and no idea of yesterday. All the clubs locally and all codes, need to take stock of their future. There will be ground sharing and there will be old clubs and new clubs positioning for power. NL simply have the numbers, real diversity, and it appears vision. Long overdue in local football full of rubbish clubs with no footprint.

It probably the more recent history - 6 plus years - that tells the story as to why NL is where it is today. And people need to inform themselves before throwing too many stones. ItÂ’s Council peoples comments should be thrown at.

NL were relocated to Alder off Adamstown Oval in the lead up to the first season of the then “new” NPL - as NNSW wanted clubs have monolpoly on their grounds. Council gave Alder to NL with the promise of building something better.

The application for a Premier Comp ticket has to be accompanied by a letter of support from Council - recognising tenure and the capital investment needed to comply with NNSW Facility Requirements - NL have this letter.

Council approve the first Version of the Alder Master Plan and based on the letter of support NL go about getting it done. Lights, drainage, irrigation, fences etc. $300,000.

NL get held over a barrel by Council and Athletics - expand scope of drainage and irrigation to cover whole athletics track or no project. $22,000 extra.

No council money has been used to this point.

The day after water is turned on - Council turn it off and seize control of it. Pitch fence now becomes “temporary” and every season 40 members erect in sleeves under the ground and dust mantle and store at seasons end.

The Masterplan is halted. Then new version approved and then halted. This occurs every year multiple times. Council will not let NL use it own money to improve the facility.

There are too many examples of this lunacy in the last 6 years.

All the way along NL have said to Council - if you wonÂ’t let us develop Alder, send us somewhere that complies. NL have tried Harker, Waratah and even the Showground.

The latest was October last year. councillors and Council management stand out on Alder pledging support for the Alder Masterplan - commitment pulled early December.

Council send email to NL - “send us your application for Edden oval.” They want NL to put their money into developing Edden. They believe the Strategic Sports Plan gives them the political push.

I know people on here wonÂ’t give 2 shits or care about what NL have gone through to this point - but the goal is NPL and continuing to provide football opportunities to people of different levels of ability, age and sex. Pretty fair objective in my view.

Peoples negativity should be aimed at Council for being plonkers and oxygen thieves with zero strategic vision.

Volunteers waste enormous hours and community money for nit a lot of outcome most of the time. Councils job appears to facilitate this wastage.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dawson View Post
    Council send email to NL - “send us your application for Edden oval. They want NL to put their money into developing Edden. They believe the Strategic Sports Plan gives them the political push.

I know people on here wonÂ’t give 2 shits or care about what NL have gone through to this point - but the goal is NPL and continuing to provide football opportunities to people of different levels of ability, age and sex. Pretty fair objective in my view.

Peoples negativity should be aimed at Council for being plonkers and oxygen thieves with zero strategic vision.

Volunteers waste enormous hours and community money for nit a lot of outcome most of the time. Councils job appears to facilitate this wastage.
    Actually people want whats best for local football or any club that wants to climb and improve but when you have "onyabike" moaning and whinging like a petulant kid about other clubs it doesnt help your cause one bit. The fact that NL cant develop Alder is a crime. Council likes to paint far too many rainbows before other infrastructure gets the nod.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dawson View Post

Cannot agree strongly enough with this comment.

In Merewether's response to the councils strategic plan we suggested that one of the metrics the parks officers should be measured on is the amount of non-council dollars spent on upgrading facilities. i.e. encourage them to say YES not NO ALL THE F&*ken time...

We put in a proposal for a storm water harvesting system, fully club funded in September. Got all sorts of reasons why it could not be done. Strangely got a call from council today, it had found its way to someone who actually cared...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post

NL are a club who look for an easy fix vs trying to improve their own facilities. First it was Adamstown, now they’re trying it with Edden.
    Haha seriously? I've been involved from a committee level at NL for 10 years. One of my main roles has been to try and get development done at Alder Park after we got pushed there 7 years ago . Brick wall after brick wall. Promise after promise with no result.
    We have the grants, funds and resources to carry out fencing, lighting and grandstand projects, but have been stonewalled by NCC time after time. Now this new strategic report is being used to say that it's not an NPL ground and never will be - even though it's probably in a perfect location for it.
    Told to use apply for an NPL ground if we want NPL status. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by howardyou View Post
    Haha seriously? I've been involved from a committee level at NL for 10 years. One of my main roles has been to try and get development done at Alder Park after we got pushed there 7 years ago . Brick wall after brick wall. Promise after promise with no result.
    We have the grants, funds and resources to carry out fencing, lighting and grandstand projects, but have been stonewalled by NCC time after time. Now this new strategic report is being used to say that it's not an NPL ground and never will be - even though it's probably in a perfect location for it.
    Firstly, congrats for being on the committee for so long. Well done in what can be a frustrating job.

Clearly from what you and Barry say, Council change their mind like the wind changes direction. It only reinforces my belief that the grounds strategic plan will never be fully implemented.

Your comment that the club has been told that if they want to be an NPL club then they should apply for an NPL ground. Which organisation said that??? As a follow on, if that is the course of action and NL have decided that they want that ground to be Edden, has anyone sat down with Jaffas and had a sensible conversation and come up with a joint approach (best leave onyatoes out of it as he clearly has an issue with Jaffas)??? From what I have heard, Jaffas were blindsided by NL getting games on Edden this year. Surely, if you want to share a ground with another club, a good starting point would be their cooperation and support??

On another part of the strategic plan: it talks to No 2 becoming an NPL ground. Is there talk of this option being taken up by Cookers or NL? They seem the best located and with the most ambition. It would be a shame to see Council identify it as a football ground and to then not use it. Rugby will leap back in.

Does anyone in these threads actually have an idea or do they simply spew forth drivel and make it up as they go? History Lesson. 1917 football played at Hobart Road by New Lambton under association governance. 1946/47 saw the Monash Road precinct (Wallarah) developed with New Lambton as Champions of 1st Div. In 1974/75 New Lambton were again 1st Div Champions and Runners Up in State Cup (FFA Cup). They played out of..... Edden and in 1981, they were relegated and blamed for damage at Edden when Jaffas moved in. Damage that Jaffas admit was at their hand if you listen to urban local gossip. New Lambton were financially gone and headed to 5th Division where they played over a period against clubs like Broadmeadow Macedonia and Hamilton Olympic. As they moved back up Divisions they ended up at Adamstown where they owned ZPL for a decade. NCC moved them to Alder when Rosebuds were promoted from NEWFM back to NPL and NPL criteria kicked in. Just as their Committee started to develop commercially and their Juniors boomed. Council promised them Alder Development which they backed out of. NL then turned their attention to Council who eventually suggested joint Edden development as it was underutilised. NL jumped at it. Jaffas stalled but knew they needed a partner. NL at Edden means they are simply going home you moron. Postcode 2305.....check maps. There are so many parrots around football locally who have a very single minded view of tomorrow and no idea of yesterday. All the clubs locally and all codes, need to take stock of their future. There will be ground sharing and there will be old clubs and new clubs positioning for power. NL simply have the numbers, real diversity, and it appears vision. Long overdue in local football full of rubbish clubs with no footprint.
    Thanks for the history lesson. Perhaps leaning a little in a certain direction, but still interesting.

Basing club locations on their name and postcode? Really? Better move Newcastle Jets, Chalrestown, Wallsend, Cookers, Maitland, Valentine.

Your passion is great, but as I suggested earlier, turn down the criticisms of other clubs. They all do their best. Maybe you don't agree, but each club has a plan they are working to. Your "rubbish clubs with no footprint" comment just paints you as a bitter nutter. By all means, argue your point, but leave the histrionics out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by howardyou View Post
    Council stating what can and cant be a NPL ground is ridiculous.

You would think that if a club had a large % of private funds to improve another council ground theyd be well advised to go for it. Providing the the people close by are cool with it.