Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 19/20 HAL Round 5 | Newcastle Jets v Perth Glory | Sat 9/11/19 1700

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    You are mixing up the term "our best player" with "top quality player". Those two things are vastly different.

But Uga is easily our best player right now. He's first name on the teamsheet each week. Also, he is a box to box mid, he's never been a DM. We don't play for control, we play for turnovers and scoring on transition. Ernie has always done it that way.
    Still not the first name on the teamsheet. Topor and Dimi would be picked before him
    He is playing as a DM and isn't playing as a box to box midfielder
    3 goals in 100 games or so says he aint

He is not even our best midfielder

Kanta when fit and if fit is superior

not sure how much they went on about it on the telly, but that push in the 1st half was certainly a thing wasnt it.

as much as i thought it was a foul and therefore a pen, it would have been pretty soft.

having said that im glad it wasnt overturned by VAR.
    am happy for the ref to rule on it and move on. but geez i feel we are owed a tonne of these ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Still not the first name on the teamsheet. Topor and Dimi would be picked before him
    He is playing as a DM and isn't playing as a box to box midfielder
    3 goals in 100 games or so says he aint

He is not even our best midfielder

Kanta when fit and if fit is superior
    Doesn't score goals, therefore is DM? Classic Member logic.

Watch him play, then learn what a DM is and then come back to me and apologise.

We don't play with a CDM or with DMs. We play a midfield that doesn't control a game with the ball. That's Ernie's way. When Kanta plays, who is a CDM by trade, you still see him moving into channels constantly and has he freedom to make a dart into the box when the mood strikes him. He doesn't have a rigid position when we have to ball. Neither does Uga. It leaves us very open when a team has a floating mid, but it means when we do win the ball we always have 4 players available for any attack.

Basically Uga doesn't float your boat because you like football to be played a certain way and he doesn't do that. Nothing wrong with that, but doesn't mean he isn't a good player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Banned
    Doesn't score goals, therefore is DM? Classic Member logic.

Watch him play, then learn what a DM is and then come back to me and apologise.

We don't play with a CDM or with DMs. We play a midfield that doesn't control a game with the ball. That's Ernie's way. When Kanta plays, who is a CDM by trade, you still see him moving into channels constantly and has he freedom to make a dart into the box when the mood strikes him. He doesn't have a rigid position when we have to ball. Neither does Uga. It leaves us very open when a team has a floating mid, but it means when we do win the ball we always have 4 players available for any attack.

Basically Uga doesn't float your boat because you like football to be played a certain way and he doesn't do that. Nothing wrong with that, but doesn't mean he isn't a good player.
    We have spent the last 20 months trying to dominate games with possession and not playing counter attacking football
    The counter attacking stuff got us to the better end of the table. We then started thibking we coul play football. We can't that why we have struggled

We not playing with DMs
    Technically we aren't as neither Ugarkovic or Ridenton are capable yet our coach leaves these two back to protect two ageing CentreBacks
    But this more a reflection on their failure in this role

They playing as defensive midfielders everyday of the week. They just inept at it

Quote Originally Posted by Jetkel View Post
    Watching the game again, not sure how anyone can say we played poorly. Disappointed with the result? Absolutely. But our movement especially up front & with Uga pushing through from our half was outstanding.

It Farken peeves me no end when people just hang shit on players/coach/club because it’s the in thing to do, rather than assessing each player without a preconceived idea on how they’ll play. Ridenton & JK had one of the hardest tasks in the league last night restricting Castro & CI, both put in a shift & did a solid job. 1 goal conceded from a goal mouth scramble against that forward line is a terrific result.

Up front, every positive movement forward came through Fitz channel. Should of had a penalty. Links well with Dimi & Arroyo & gets behind the line as good as anyone. Finishing needs to improve but I also don’t think any were gimmes.

Great involvement from Arroyo, Uga was terrific, Moss pulled off a couple of tremendous saves also. Backline was solid.

I enjoyed watching us play yesterday. I don’t think we’re too far off.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    not sure how much they went on about it on the telly, but that push in the 1st half was certainly a thing wasnt it.

as much as i thought it was a foul and therefore a pen, it would have been pretty soft.

am happy for the ref to rule on it and move on. but geez i feel we are owed a tonne of these ones.
    Yup, I said the exact same thing after seeing it on the big screen.

We have spent the last 20 months trying to dominate games with possession and not playing counter attacking football
    The counter attacking stuff got us to the better end of the table. We then started thibking we coul play football. We can't that why we have struggled

We not playing with DMs
    Technically we aren't as neither Ugarkovic or Ridenton are capable yet our coach leaves these two back to protect two ageing CentreBacks

They playing as defensive midfielders everyday of the week. They just inept at it
    I don’t think you’re watching the same games as everyone else!

This week boogs wasnt even playing and topor was bloody superb. I can’t remember ever seeing the Jets play a game trying to dominate possession.

Also, did anyone see Topor overlap down the left in the first half? I was gutted when the pass didn’t get slipped to him in the open

Stu - 3 goals in 58 games for the Jets.
    Ugabooga - 3 goals in 55 games for the Jets.

The second coming indeed................
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

We not playing with DMs

Don't agree with much of this. Ernie is not and has not ever been a possession style manager. He's still probably telling the players the same things as we did a few years ago, he's just got less talented or very out of form players trying to carry out his game plan. Hoff and Nicky are sitting on the shoulder like Nabbout did, Areola is pressuring from behind midfield. Dimi is on the field... (I have nothing positive to say about Dimi other than its not his fault he's playing, it's Wessi's for getting injured)
    I hope we get Kanta back into the centre and move Ridenton into CAM. Ridenton should be able to win us plenty of ball and that would take the defensive burden off Nipples so he can make some runs in behind.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

also, its generally only mong fans who carry on so much about the little letters next to a players name.

its not like a coach tells a kid to just stand there in his little zone marked off by witches hats.

the goalie is really the only one bound by rules and regulations on his job.

the rest is 10 v 10 and the coach will alter things through the course of the game in order to get goals and a win.

some of these mong fans heads must have exploded back in the days of true liberos like Matthaus, Iniesta and Griff.

hail Griff.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Areola is pressuring from behind midfield ... the defensive burden off Nipples
    Now I'm standing to attention.

Player of the Match voting

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8QMF28F
    Player of the Match voting is still open - takes all of 10 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post

I thought it was as clear a penalty as they come. Fitz won the tussle, got front position & clearly got pushed in the back by a much bigger man. He fell sideways, you can’t dive at a right angle when running at pace mid stride & off balance. 95% of players let Grant deal with the ball & boot it into the stands without a challenge. He fought for it & should of won us a penalty outta nothing. The only question mark was whether there was a foul in the lead up but they gave a goal kick if I remember correctly, so they didn’t think so.

Also forgot to mention in the earlier post how good Jackson was returning. Top game.

Jetstream Player of the Match, voted by the fans, was Abdiel Arroyo.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Can't argue with that, Once he gets some proper service he will be even better
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

love at first sight

Where's second and third place?

Jackson was pretty good. Didn't he make the league TOTY?

Where's second and third place?

Jackson was pretty good. Didn't he make the league TOTY?
    2nd was Ugarkovic
    3rd was Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Can't argue with that, Once he gets some proper service he will be even better
    I'm afraid when that time comes, he will be well and truly outta here...
    It is frustrating to see him being used for long balls with no purpose.
    Whenever he's got a chance to use his speed, it shows how good he could be for us if we only stopped clearing every single ball to the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by mic22 View Post
    I'm afraid when that time comes, he will be well and truly outta here...
    It is frustrating to see him being used for long balls with no purpose.
    Whenever he's got a chance to use his speed, it shows how good he could be for us if we only stopped clearing every single ball to the opposition.
    If Dimi actually stopped being a hog and focused on playing more for the team at times there is someone who can play a killer ball

Banned
    Can't believe Ridenton was overlooked