Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Zone League 1 thread

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    The right call to make. Tough situation and feel a bit for Terrace after being so strong for a number of years. Hopefully it's just a bad year and you can bounce back. Solid youth program up there, so no doubt you'll have a bunch of teens coming through shortly. Im sure you guys will do well in ZL2 if you do drop.
    Currently in a little bit of limbo with the junior and senior teams I think the eldest juniors we have are 16 ( not sure of the grade). But in saying that we have had 3 of our 14 year olds training with us all pre season and a 15 year old join our squad on a permanent basis. So It may take a year or two to get those teens coming through but we are definitely trying to close the gap there and filter them in when possible.

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    I was under the impression that ZL2 had 9 teams after Maitland Snrs pulled out. Who has come in to replace them?
    Surely ZPL as the top comp won’t have 9 teams

Quote Originally Posted by The Hacker View Post
    Surely ZPL as the top comp won’t have 9 teams
    This is exactly why we have decided to make a call tonight. We have been in communication with those that matter and they keep telling us to hold out more players will come. Unfortunately the area we are in that’s not likely to happen. So we are trying to give as much notice so they can do something with time to spare instead of a couple of weeks out like they are suggesting to us.

I was under the impression that ZL2 had 9 teams after Maitland Snrs pulled out. Who has come in to replace them?
    Sorry i was wrong it is now an 8 team comp as Simba and Maitland both pulled out

Currently in a little bit of limbo with the junior and senior teams I think the eldest juniors we have are 16 ( not sure of the grade). But in saying that we have had 3 of our 14 year olds training with us all pre season and a 15 year old join our squad on a permanent basis. So It may take a year or two to get those teens coming through but we are definitely trying to close the gap there and filter them in when possible.
    What was the outcome

What was the outcome
    We will be informing Russel Henry that we will be requesting to drop down to ZL2 sighting lack of playing numbers and depth. Hopefully a decision from them will come back soon.

New Lambton have to be the hot favourites this year! Merewether to be a surprise package and Barnsley to disappoint.
    Burbs have made a few good changes and Westlakes will be old reliable. Hamilton, Maryland, Uni and Olympic to be the also ran clubs. Wallsend surely has to be paying $0.98 to get the wooden spoon. Only reason they didn’t get it last year was Wayne Edwards and he’s gone!

Ladder predictions below:

1. New Lambton
    2. Garden Suburbs
    3. Westlakes
    4. Merewether Advance
    5. Stockton
    6. Maryland Fletcher
    7. Newcastle Uni
    8. Hamilton Olympic
    9. Barnsley
    10. Wallsend

Quote Originally Posted by KickyBall View Post
    New Lambton have to be the hot favourites this year! Merewether to be a surprise package and Barnsley to disappoint.
    Burbs have made a few good changes and Westlakes will be old reliable. Hamilton, Maryland, Uni and Olympic to be the also ran clubs. Wallsend surely has to be paying $0.98 to get the wooden spoon. Only reason they didn’t get it last year was Wayne Edwards and he’s gone!

1. New Lambton
    2. Garden Suburbs
    3. Westlakes
    4. Merewether Advance
    5. Stockton
    6. Maryland Fletcher
    7. Newcastle Uni
    8. Hamilton Olympic
    9. Barnsley
    10. Wallsend
    Barnsley will be better than that they have a few back. Maryland will struggle some disharmony in the camp is what I’m hearing

1. New Lambton
    2. Garden Suburbs
    3. Westlakes
    4. Merewether Advance
    5. Stockton
    6. Maryland Fletcher
    7. Newcastle Uni
    8. Hamilton Olympic
    9. Barnsley
    10. Wallsend
    Garden suburbs to come 2nd is a funny joke..

Barnsley will be better than that they have a few back. Maryland will struggle some disharmony in the camp is what I’m hearing
    How do you think the ladder will look?

Quote Originally Posted by Kicktheball View Post
    Garden suburbs to come 2nd is a funny joke..
    Comedy is a friend of mine... so let’s have your ladder prediction... or you just ask for everyone else’s cause you can’t come up with your own?

I think use may have Olympic a little to far down the ladder.
    They have recently played Raymond terrace which were in zl1 at the time they played them and not only beat them gave them a bit off a touch up in both grades.
    They also beat cooks hill which are now in zpl in both grades.
    Yes it is only pre season but a lot of people seem to use this as a guide as to how the team is going to go.

Comedy is a friend of mine... so let’s have your ladder prediction... or you just ask for everyone else’s cause you can’t come up with your own?
    1. New lambton
    2. Westlakes
    3. Stockton
    4. Merewether
    5. Uni
    6. Olympic
    7. Suburbs
    8. Barnsley
    9. Wallsend
    10. Fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    They have recently played Raymond terrace which were in zl1 at the time they played them and not only beat them gave them a bit off a touch up in both grades.
    Yes it is only pre season but a lot of people seem to use this as a guide as to how the team is going to go.
    Very true Olympic did put a lot past Terrace and looked quality. Terrace then dropped out of ZPL down to ZL2 and beat New Lambton 1-0 last Thursday. Apparently first game New Lambton hasnÂ’t scored in. And Terrace beat cooks hill too. So I guess what IÂ’m saying whilst itÂ’s all we can go off itÂ’s bloody impossible to predict where anyone will end up.

But can say both teams have strong 1st and Res teams and should do very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    Everyone loves a surprise for package. Let’s hope we get a few this year.

Interesting Zone League meeting tonight..
    Newy Football confirmed comp was down to 8 teams, and I have since heard another team wont be playing.
    I wont name them as it may not be accurate.Its a tough call for a lot of clubs..
    At what point does a comp become pointless? (considering there's no semi's, no promotion or relegation) and potentially down to 7 teams)

Quote Originally Posted by idontwannaplaywithhowey View Post
    Interesting Zone League meeting tonight..
    Newy Football confirmed comp was down to 8 teams, and I have since heard another team wont be playing.
    I wont name them as it may not be accurate.Its a tough call for a lot of clubs..
    At what point does a comp become pointless? (considering there's no semi's, no promotion or relegation) and potentially down to 7 teams)
    I reckon if 24 teams go ahead they make 3 8 team comps but u need to have finals
    Even if it’s 1v4 n 2v3 in a one off game then a gf will add 2 rounds to a 14 round Comp still have 2 rounds to spare on current 18 round Comp no finals

Quote Originally Posted by Swanky View Post
    I reckon if 24 teams go ahead they make 3 8 team comps but u need to have finals
    Even if itÂ’s 1v4 n 2v3 in a one off game then a gf will add 2 rounds to a 14 round Comp still have 2 rounds to spare on current 18 round Comp no finals
    There is no scope for finals at all. The competition is scheduled for 14 weekends, so 18 games would be played over 14 weekends.
    Apparently there is only 14 weekends available before cricket gets the fields, that's with cricket already getting pushed back 2 weeks.
    The uncertainty makes the decision difficult for smaller clubs. Bigger clubs will survive if they sit out the season, for the smaller clubs they could possibly fold if they sit out the season. As they would loose players to rival clubs, A blanket decision would be helpful in this case. That's what has happened in rugby union.

Quote Originally Posted by anfield View Post
    There is no scope for finals at all. The competition is scheduled for 14 weekends, so 18 games would be played over 14 weekends.
    Apparently there is only 14 weekends available before cricket gets the fields, that's with cricket already getting pushed back 2 weeks.
    The uncertainty makes the decision difficult for smaller clubs. Bigger clubs will survive if they sit out the season, for the smaller clubs they could possibly fold if they sit out the season. As they would loose players to rival clubs, A blanket decision would be helpful in this case. That's what has happened in rugby union.
    They should put a line through the year as much as we don’t want to it’s the easiest decision on senior football

A 3rd team officially out of ZL1 now.
    So currently 7 team comp (6 team for 3rd grade).