Thread: 2020 Zone League 1 thread

Stockton vs Merewether
    Thirds 2-3
    Reserves 1-1
    Firsts 1-4

Olympic v Wallsend
    Res 3-3
    1st 1-1 Match abandoned after 60 minutes due to injury

Wallsend FC will be seeking clarification from Newcastle Football on whether the 1-1 result should stand, considering the referee indicated the game would be played out and was only abandoned after Olympic elected to end the match.

New Lambton v University
    1st: 3-1 Uni
    Res: 1-0 NLFC
    3rds: 1-1

Quote Originally Posted by Swanky View Post
    Olympic v New Lambton
    Res 1-1
    1st 4-6
    I'm a bit late to the party on this one but cheers to Olympic for the games this year...
    All 4 games over the 2 grades have been really tough and very entertaining.
    We have had many battles over the last few years in ZL2, but this years were really enjoyable and hard fought affairs.
    Cheers Gentlemen!

Quote Originally Posted by amishpanda View Post
    Wallsend FC will be seeking clarification from Newcastle Football on whether the 1-1 result should stand, considering the referee indicated the game would be played out and was only abandoned after Olympic elected to end the match.
    Seriously the guy broke his tib and fib and all Wallsend are worried about is getting three points

Quote Originally Posted by Suarez View Post
    Seriously the guy broke his tib and fib and all Wallsend are worried about is getting three points
    Of course not. Everyone at Wallsend FC completely regrets to see injuries of such a nature to anyone in sport.

However, regard for the players well-being and a desire to finish the game considering the referee indicated there was ample opportunity to complete the fixture are not mutually exclusive actions.

Of course not. Everyone at Wallsend FC completely regrets to see injuries of such a nature to anyone in sport.

However, regard for the players well-being and a desire to finish the game considering the referee indicated there was ample opportunity to complete the fixture are not mutually exclusive actions.
    Any other year I could see the point in trying to clarify what the outcome would be because it could be the difference with you getting promoted or making semis. But this year with none of that happening does it really matter if it finishes in a draw or not?

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    Any other year I could see the point in trying to clarify what the outcome would be because it could be the difference with you getting promoted or making semis. But this year with none of that happening does it really matter if it finishes in a draw or not?
    Surely everyone is aware that some clubs that elected to not field teams this season may have a very hard time putting together three grades next year, potentially create a free space in the league above.

That, or the potential repeat of Raymond Terraces fortunes to another club, means that we prefer to leave nothing to chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Suarez View Post
    Injuries happen, never seen a game abondoned for a broken leg. Almost like Olympic had another motive to leave the field.

I've seen a game abandoned for a broken leg. Tib + fib. Young guy playing for Wallsend at Wallsend. ZL3 though.

I would have had that discussion with Newcastle Football in private. I don't think listing it on the forum is good form. To be perfectly honest, take the point and move on. I'm sure the poor guy with the broken leg wouldn't want to hear there is a debate over points.

Quote Originally Posted by riverboy View Post
    I would have had that discussion with Newcastle Football in private. I don't think listing it on the forum is good form. To be perfectly honest, take the point and move on. I'm sure the poor guy with the broken leg wouldn't want to hear there is a debate over points.
    To be honest, it has exactly nothing to do with the injured player. Ok, if his team mates dont want to continue, fine. If both teams agree, its a draw. If not, its a forfeit according to the rules.

What is the precedent set by allowing a match to be abandoned by one team after the referee has indicated it should be finished? That result only suited one team.

Wallsend v Merewether

3rds: 1-4
    Ressies: 4-2
    1st Grade: 7-1

New Lambton v Stockton
    1st:3-1 Eagles
    Res: 8-0 Eagles
    3rds: 6-1 Eagles

Olympic v Uni
    1st 1-1
    Res 1-1