Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 NEW FM Northern League 1 thread

Cookers v Belswans washed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Newcastle council have already identified Edden/Wallarah/Blackley as a football centre. At this stage their actual plans aren't known but may include all weather surfaces. Refer to their recent report. Edden is in poor condition because of it being used match day, for training (club and Jobe) and for summer football over the last few years during drought. It needs a damn good rest and rehabilitation, not more use in its current condition.

Jaffas need a viable cashed up partner? Given the amount Jaffas are rumoured to spend, your comment seems to fly in the face of the evidence. If cashed up means you have hundreds of kids to help pay first grade wages, experience says that parents soon tire of that unless handled very carefully.

It is well known that New Lambton has set it sights on Edden/Blackley/Wallarah. The word is that they have been badgering Council over it. They need more grounds because they have too many teams and, lets face it, Alder is a pigs ear. Perhaps they should reduce team numbers, focus on improving their current grounds and spend less time trying to obtain the use of the grounds of other clubs. If they really want an NPL quality ground and are in talks with Wests (as some here suggest), maybe Harker is an option? A solution similar to Toronto. If ground space is an issue, send the extra teams/kids to other nearby clubs. I'm sure community clubs or other NEWFM clubs would appreciate more kids.
    Understand your points and this is not an ID thread - but our club neighbours NL and closed our books weeks ago. Others in the area the same. The ground shortage is not NLs issue - it’s the popularity of the game and a shortage of grounds. It also come down down to how Council allocate grounds to smaller sports.
    Would you have NL cast kids out on the street to play something else?
    Re NL NEWFM - yes Alder is rough. But we heard that after giving approval and NL spending $300k, Council pulled their support for more development at Alder.
    Maybe council wants NL money spent at Edden instead?

Newcastle council have already identified Edden/Wallarah/Blackley as a football centre. At this stage their actual plans aren't known but may include all weather surfaces. Refer to their recent report. Edden is in poor condition because of it being used match day, for training (club and Jobe) and for summer football over the last few years during drought. It needs a damn good rest and rehabilitation, not more use in its current condition.

Jaffas need a viable cashed up partner? Given the amount Jaffas are rumoured to spend, your comment seems to fly in the face of the evidence. If cashed up means you have hundreds of kids to help pay first grade wages, experience says that parents soon tire of that unless handled very carefully.

It is well known that New Lambton has set it sights on Edden/Blackley/Wallarah. The word is that they have been badgering Council over it. They need more grounds because they have too many teams and, lets face it, Alder is a pigs ear. Perhaps they should reduce team numbers, focus on improving their current grounds and spend less time trying to obtain the use of the grounds of other clubs. If they really want an NPL quality ground and are in talks with Wests (as some here suggest), maybe Harker is an option? A solution similar to Toronto. If ground space is an issue, send the extra teams/kids to other nearby clubs. I'm sure community clubs or other NEWFM clubs would appreciate more kids.
    Why does everyone think Edden is Jaffas ground? It is a Council asset yes? They have 120 players of one gender monopolising a ground that a bigger club with bigger pockets and a bigger footprint is bound to target. NL Juniors are at Novocastrian and seemingly self sufficient. Jaffas paid their way into NPL and now they look like they have sat on their hands. Olympic and Magic saw the writing on the wall during the ground review and inherited girls, looks like Jaffas just inherited Eagles......? It wouldn't surprise me if NL officials pressed hard, some connections in that club. Watch for the draw changes next week in NL1. 4 games from May........you heard it here first.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dawson View Post
    Understand your points and this is not an ID thread - but our club neighbours NL and closed our books weeks ago. Others in the area the same. The ground shortage is not NLs issue - it’s the popularity of the game and a shortage of grounds. It also come down down to how Council allocate grounds to smaller sports.
    Would you have NL cast kids out on the street to play something else?
    Re NL NEWFM - yes Alder is rough. But we heard that after giving approval and NL spending $300k, Council pulled their support for more development at Alder.
    Maybe council wants NL money spent at Edden instead?
    Certainly don't want kids to not play. You see clubs such as Kahibah and South Cardiff asking for kids on facebook, but i take your point. Newcastle has no land for more grounds as the LGA wont get bigger but it does have a lot of poorly maintained grounds that could be improved and utilised. However, that will take time and money. Lambton Park, Lugar, Nesbitt, Myamblah, behind Broadmeadow Maccas, Novocastrian, all the Adamstown grounds etc etc. All need improvements and then more use.

Maybe the money that was to go to Alder was reallocated to the Olympic bid? 🤣🤣 Anyway, with that bid failing, it might be time for NL to talk to Council again about Alder rather than talk to Council about Wallarah. Maybe that money is back in the kitty for the Council's grand plan? Maybe it will get spent at another ground. Who knows what Council will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Onyatoes View Post
    Why does everyone think Edden is Jaffas ground? It is a Council asset yes? They have 120 players of one gender monopolising a ground that a bigger club with bigger pockets and a bigger footprint is bound to target. NL Juniors are at Novocastrian and seemingly self sufficient. Jaffas paid their way into NPL and now they look like they have sat on their hands. Olympic and Magic saw the writing on the wall during the ground review and inherited girls, looks like Jaffas just inherited Eagles......? It wouldn't surprise me if NL officials pressed hard, some connections in that club. Watch for the draw changes next week in NL1. 4 games from May........you heard it here first.
    Yep, all grounds (except Magic) are Council owned. We know that. However, each club has a home ground where they invest time and money. So, while Jaffas don't own Edden and NL don't own Alder and Olympic don't own Darling Street, those grounds are considered to be part of those clubs.

Jaffas paid their way into the NPL like every other club. Get a driven committee, money, pay players, win comps and get promoted. Hardly some underhanded action that you seem to imply. I have no idea if Jaffas have sat on their hands but results over the last few years appear to say otherwise.

It will be interesting if you are right about NL on Edden from May. I saw Edden this week and it is poor. Now growing season is over, it will be little better by May.

It will also be interesting to see if those other comments regarding Wests and NL are true. That would be a huge shot in the arm for them and may gain them access to Harker. That would be great news.

Magic don't own their ground. Crown Land with a perpetual lease. The big message is that clubs who have been naive enough to think that they have formal tenancy (in all codes) are about to get a little shock. There was a Herald article before Xmas. Ground sharing across codes and across clubs in NPL will be a reality in Newcastle Council boundaries. This latest news or rumour may just be the tip of the iceberg. Harker Kentish and Ford Ovals all were once controlled by West's via the New Lambton Grounds Committee. Council disbanded it last October........everything is on the table and simple socio economics will tell you that cash, community support, number of members and politics will play a big part in who gets what.....I would back the joint with Premier Men, Youth, Women, more kids than anyone and......a special needs program that everyone supports. I think the pollies might also....hence my comment that they sat on their hands in Jaffa land.....

Magic don't own their ground. Crown Land with a perpetual lease. .....
    Yeah, as I said, all grounds, except Magic are council owned.

I guess you don't like Jaffas much but I think we will agree to disagree on whether or not Jaffas have sat on their hands.

The big shakeup will be when the rugby league clubs get told they have to share. Harker, Townson, etc. that will be a big change.

Cooks Hill on no2, New Lambton on Harker, Jaffas on Harker, Cooks Hill on Townson would all be possibilities. Any solution that gets NEWFM or NPL teams on better grounds is a good one.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Agree. Not sure if anyone likes Jaffas unless they wear yellow, but that remains to be seen long term. Harker a possibility but pick a fight with West's at your peril. Edden the No 2 of the burbs is a real option. Both clubs though need to get into bed. Good banter and well informed. A change for this forum.

Banned
    Getting more and better football grounds is the key issue. Newcastle needs a Speers Pt type facility

The knights getting District park for a "centre of excellence" is a disaster considering the amount of juniors they have in that sport.

Yeah, as I said, all grounds, except Magic are council owned.

I guess you don't like Jaffas much but I think we will agree to disagree on whether or not Jaffas have sat on their hands.

The big shakeup will be when the rugby league clubs get told they have to share. Harker, Townson, etc. that will be a big change.

Cooks Hill on no2, New Lambton on Harker, Jaffas on Harker, Cooks Hill on Townson would all be possibilities. Any solution that gets NEWFM or NPL teams on better grounds is a good one.
    What a disaster this would be when all codes are played in winter, I can’t see any of these grounds being suitable for football surface wise

So did any games get played today

Cessnock v Singleton finished 3-1 to the Hornets. Pretty scrappy game which could've gone either way. Cessnock finished stronger and scored a couple of bombs to liven up a dreary afternoon. Both lower grade games were 0-0 I think

Gotta open our eyes. The days of Rugby clubs for example locking up No 2, Harker, Passmore and Waratah Ovals for 100 members (and in Waratahs case to play in a Suburban comp) are over. Cricket also has a few challenges whereby the venues dont match the need or the number of particpants. Football is not immune, 120 blokes as a Premier Club locking up a Council sportsground is not politically sensible and the Labour left get it. Edden is a perfect venue to develop but those 120 blokes in yellow won't justify spending a cent. NCC know it. NNSWF know it. No 2 should always be home for The Wanderers because they invested money it (albeit a minor percentage), but they cannot own it exclusively and the NRU don't either. Cooks Hill and Merewether WPL could certainly share that. Sounds like a marriage of sorts? Perhaps the NNSWF launch at No 2 was a subtle sign that equilibrium is around the corner.

Gotta open our eyes. The days of Rugby clubs for example locking up No 2, Harker, Passmore and Waratah Ovals for 100 members (and in Waratahs case to play in a Suburban comp) are over. Cricket also has a few challenges whereby the venues dont match the need or the number of particpants. Football is not immune, 120 blokes as a Premier Club locking up a Council sportsground is not politically sensible and the Labour left get it. Edden is a perfect venue to develop but those 120 blokes in yellow won't justify spending a cent. NCC know it. NNSWF know it. No 2 should always be home for The Wanderers because they invested money it (albeit a minor percentage), but they cannot own it exclusively and the NRU don't either. Cooks Hill and Merewether WPL could certainly share that. Sounds like a marriage of sorts? Perhaps the NNSWF launch at No 2 was a subtle sign that equilibrium is around the corner.
    Jesus, someone’s on their soapbox.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Banned
    Football is not immune, 120 blokes as a Premier Club locking up a Council sportsground is not politically sensible and the Labour left get it. Edden is a perfect venue to develop but those 120 blokes in yellow won't justify spending a cent. NCC know it. NNSWF know it.
    Really? How many use magic or Olympics main ground. 13's to 1st grade and maybe sap. its all the same at many grounds for numbers.

Couple of extras shipped in ladies teams means nothing to the council green keepers.

Ill mention to council that Edden is a terrible place to expand. Thanks for the reminder.

Edden expansion terrible? Council just spent a $150k on an independent audit that suggests otherwise.

Gunners 2 Cookers 1

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    Gunners 2 Cookers 1
    Good result

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    Good result
    Terrible conditions

Wallsend vs New Lambton at The Gardens
    1st: 0-6
    Res: 1-2
    18's: 2-2

The quality of the surface was pretty ordinary. Will need a fair bit of work to get through the season.