Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 NEW FM Northern League 1 thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    So where are the youth teams from last year? Why have those kids walked? Cost? Culture? Surely all those Toronto teams didn't finish last in 2019.
    They didn't all finish last and some had some quality players in their side. I understand the U13s last year were all going to come back but the coach said he couldn't commit to another year so some just left to play community. The new coach was turning out to be poor and drove more players away. No idea what happened to the 15s or why they were unable to get a 13s side.

NEWFM needs youth grades. The talent pool, is too small and it needs growing. It will take time, but a strong second tier youth league is as important as a strong senior second tier league.
    Exactly, you just become a pub side league if you get rid of them and people advocating for it are living in the past. It hurts the NPL youth and keeps more talent down in community sides. NewFM youth players do get selected for NPL the following year because they get the experience at the level NewFM is, others dropping out may go back to NewFM and then go back up because of the quality they can get at NewFM. Getting rid of it is a silly idea but then again NNSWF not wanting to give the NewFM clubs something to push for such as promotion isn't helping the league either.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    Exactly, you just become a pub side league if you get rid of them and people advocating for it are living in the past. It hurts the NPL youth and keeps more talent down in community sides. NewFM youth players do get selected for NPL the following year because they get the experience at the level NewFM is, others dropping out may go back to NewFM and then go back up because of the quality they can get at NewFM. Getting rid of it is a silly idea but then again NNSWF not wanting to give the NewFM clubs something to push for such as promotion isn't helping the league either.
    There would be several community youth squads that would dominate NewFM youth teams. Don't get caught up thinking you're the best squad out there because you play in an 'elite' senior team. It simply means your parents are rich enough and you have enough ability to fit into a 2nd tier 15/16 person youth squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    There would be several community youth squads that would dominate NewFM youth teams. Don't get caught up thinking you're the best squad out there because you play in an 'elite' senior team. It simply means your parents are rich enough and you have enough ability to fit into a 2nd tier 15/16 person youth squad.
    Ouch...

Not to sure you’re right about this, I haven’t seen to many goods teams running around community clubs, after witnessing a few community grand finals last year it was fairly horrendous

There is so much narrow minded drivel floating around these forums. I wonder if anyone here actually Coaches or runs a club. Toronto cutting 3 teams a week before the comp is embarrassing. Last year they were forfeiting 23s, Wallsend pulled teams, Cessnock should have and Belswans the year before couldn't field 14s. Really, look at the greater club at Toronto, and a few others for that matter. They have been in a second tier for way too long and NNSWF don't care. In fact, where is the management from NNSWF around identifying that this club was once again in dire straits. Other clubs will follow and cut teams once the 5 or 6 clubs with strong Youth start to put up cricket scores. Half the NL1 comp is a rabble, the ZPL isn't much better albeit a few top ZPL teams would compete with bottom NL1. FFA Cup last year saw ZPL teams well off the mark against better NL1. All the talk about grounds and facilities will be folly once the ground sharing occurs in Newcastle Council areas which will see all codes sharing. Lake Macquarie reviewing also. Then second tier clubs who have their shit in order will strengthen a very weak NPL. As for the Toronto's, chook raffle and a few beers after the game in ZPL boys!!!! NNSWF have an emergency on its hands. How they react will shape whatever a viable NPL looks like. Ps. Toronto beat APIA 20s, who sent their 18s as a default to honour Darren Stewart, let's call it for what it is.

Dominate? Champ you have cooked a few too many BBQs.

Quote Originally Posted by Onyatoes View Post
    There is so much narrow minded drivel floating around these forums. I wonder if anyone here actually Coaches or runs a club. Toronto cutting 3 teams a week before the comp is embarrassing. Last year they were forfeiting 23s, Wallsend pulled teams, Cessnock should have and Belswans the year before couldn't field 14s. Really, look at the greater club at Toronto, and a few others for that matter. They have been in a second tier for way too long and NNSWF don't care. In fact, where is the management from NNSWF around identifying that this club was once again in dire straits. Other clubs will follow and cut teams once the 5 or 6 clubs with strong Youth start to put up cricket scores. Half the NL1 comp is a rabble, the ZPL isn't much better albeit a few top ZPL teams would compete with bottom NL1. FFA Cup last year saw ZPL teams well off the mark against better NL1. All the talk about grounds and facilities will be folly once the ground sharing occurs in Newcastle Council areas which will see all codes sharing. Lake Macquarie reviewing also. Then second tier clubs who have their shit in order will strengthen a very weak NPL. As for the Toronto's, chook raffle and a few beers after the game in ZPL boys!!!! NNSWF have an emergency on its hands. How they react will shape whatever a viable NPL looks like. Ps. Toronto beat APIA 20s, who sent their 18s as a default to honour Darren Stewart, let's call it for what it is.
    The NNSW emergency statement is right on the mark

Narrow minded ? Well no wonder you joined the conversation, yes it was Apia 20s ( not 18s ) same side heading to Italy to compete in a huge u20 tournament, so albeit u20 still a good result considering Apia are one of the top sides in Nsw npl, so there U20s wouldn’t be Drabble, let’s not forget Toronto is a Chook raffle side according to your “ narrow minded drivel “ yes we struggled to fill the young ages this year, not through lack of trying, maybe it’s because tossbags like you jump at the chance to bag the club and naive parents read this forum and listen to your narrow minded drivel. Toronto Awaba are going great financially and with a playing roster focused on local juniors and players, with coaching staff like Piggo, Jobe Wheelhouse, Abe Wheelhouse, Chris Bowling, Jason Cowburn and Nathan Green, the club is far from a Chook raffle side, so take your narrow minded drivel back to the local bingo game and see if you can focus on one number at a time ....did I mention the coaching staff are all Toronto boys ? What club wouldnt love that.....

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    having your rant in one, single, long paragraph tends to make you look like an angry man

people stop reading when there's a lack of punctuation

Not sure why you're pointing out "me" or that I play in a youth team. I am talking about NPL clubs and coaches not giving players in community a chance because of that. And even if there is a good side it doesn't mean that they will develop well due to the quality of the competition they face. Sounds like someone is upset they couldn't play state league as a kid. Don't be salty son

Couple of blokes at the Blackbutt Hotel tonight talking about New Lambton playing games at Edden Oval this season.
    Anyone heard anything of this?

I haven't heard but I did hear it was part of their planning. Makes sense, Jaffas have Senior and Youth and it is free 2 days out of 4. Perfect venue to develop into a ready made Football Centric No 2 but not unless Jaffas share. Jaffas need a viable cashed up partner Might be the sign of things to come? No 2 for Merewether Girls/Cooks Hill joint venture is the big rumour. Makes sense also....all Cookers lack is a true WPL program and Merewether are gypsies connected to a small junior club.

I am sorry. I didn't realise so many Toronto legends had returned. It makes me wonder why all the kids left, (some went to Lakes which must be hard to take), but, I am sure they had good reason. I am also sure the BBQs will be excellent and those legends that you mention will take The Stags forward vs backward. Let's hope so. NL1 and NPL need a vibrant football program in Westlakes.......sometime soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dawson View Post
    Couple of blokes at the Blackbutt Hotel tonight talking about New Lambton playing games at Edden Oval this season.
    Anyone heard anything of this?
    Won't be happening. Edden in bad shape so I doubt Jaffas will share with NL
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

I haven't heard but I did hear it was part of their planning. Makes sense, Jaffas have Senior and Youth and it is free 2 days out of 4. Perfect venue to develop into a ready made Football Centric No 2 but not unless Jaffas share. Jaffas need a viable cashed up partner Might be the sign of things to come? No 2 for Merewether Girls/Cooks Hill joint venture is the big rumour. Makes sense also....all Cookers lack is a true WPL program and Merewether are gypsies connected to a small junior club.
    Old news they were intending on using it for NL1 senior games but nothing happening this year.

Old news they were intending on using it for NL1 senior games but nothing happening this year.
    Joint venture/merge is on the table and has been for some time between both clubs. Some sticking points that they are hopeful of resolving this year. One of main reasons why New Lambton didn’t apply for a licence in NPL when everyone thought the would. Also hearing West’s Group in the mix so name change, colours etc. may also happen which will resolve some of the sticking points they already have Rugby League, Netball and Cricket (ironically cricket club used to be called Lambton/New Lambton or verse vica). Will be majorly cashed up have some high profile executives on the board and be competing in NPL men’s and women’s. Final tip Clayton Zane Head Coach.

NL have been designated 4 games at Edden in 2020. From May. It would have been more but the ground is closed until end April whilst Council fix a bug and Jaffas will play elsewhere until then. I saw the NL President after The Matilda's game. No mergers but their plan is big investment in Edden with Jaffas and Council and Northern and Alder will be their Youth and training venue whilst hosting their other Senior games and WPL in 2020. 2021 full time for Men and WPL and the switch will be flicked on NPL. He said Edden is their original home from when they won 1st Div in 74 and 75. New Lambton is going home........a ground is the only gap this club had.

Wrong old mate. Although I also heard Clacka is very close to the club and they have some heavy hitters on their Board so West's make sense. Merger.....? Their President nearly spilt his beer, never ever will NL merge with The Bananas.

NL have been designated 4 games at Edden in 2020. From May. It would have been more but the ground is closed until end April whilst Council fix a bug and Jaffas will play elsewhere until then. I saw the NL President after The Matilda's game. No mergers but their plan is big investment in Edden with Jaffas and Council and Northern and Alder will be their Youth and training venue whilst hosting their other Senior games and WPL in 2020. 2021 full time for Men and WPL and the switch will be flicked on NPL. He said Edden is their original home from when they won 1st Div in 74 and 75. New Lambton is going home........a ground is the only gap this club had.
    Can’t see Jaffa’s being very happy about sharing their ground with NL - not one bit. NNSW must be changing their position on Clubs and grounds.
    The Edden facilities are looking very tired and in need of some upgrade though. Not a lot of noticeable development there in recent times?

I haven't heard but I did hear it was part of their planning. Makes sense, Jaffas have Senior and Youth and it is free 2 days out of 4. Perfect venue to develop into a ready made Football Centric No 2 but not unless Jaffas share. Jaffas need a viable cashed up partner Might be the sign of things to come?
    Newcastle council have already identified Edden/Wallarah/Blackley as a football centre. At this stage their actual plans aren't known but may include all weather surfaces. Refer to their recent report. Edden is in poor condition because of it being used match day, for training (club and Jobe) and for summer football over the last few years during drought. It needs a damn good rest and rehabilitation, not more use in its current condition.

Jaffas need a viable cashed up partner? Given the amount Jaffas are rumoured to spend, your comment seems to fly in the face of the evidence. If cashed up means you have hundreds of kids to help pay first grade wages, experience says that parents soon tire of that unless handled very carefully.

It is well known that New Lambton has set it sights on Edden/Blackley/Wallarah. The word is that they have been badgering Council over it. They need more grounds because they have too many teams and, lets face it, Alder is a pigs ear. Perhaps they should reduce team numbers, focus on improving their current grounds and spend less time trying to obtain the use of the grounds of other clubs. If they really want an NPL quality ground and are in talks with Wests (as some here suggest), maybe Harker is an option? A solution similar to Toronto. If ground space is an issue, send the extra teams/kids to other nearby clubs. I'm sure community clubs or other NEWFM clubs would appreciate more kids.