Page 16 of 54 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 National Premier League thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bull fighter View Post
    Football SA is allowing teams to resume training this week with social distancing protocols.
    Helps to be in a state that has only had one confirmed case in two weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    So, you've got access to both clubs financials have you? Either prove the acuracy of your accusations or stop.
    Well.....if you take a look boys, I have been spot on so far about most things. You don't need to be Einstein to work out that when Maitland go from 8th to a GF and Thommo and Young Cowburn front up with the Swann bros that they have broken the bank....As for Jaffas, if they had money to spend they wouldn't have approached Merewether WPL to share their ground to block New Lambton taking over. Open your eyes boys and girls. The only thing Premier about the local comp is the cock up way in which they trade. Magic and Olympic have community cash that props them up, otherwise the whole thing folds. In fact if the new group of ex pros looking to reinvent the game get their way, NNSWF won't exist. Maybe a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Onyatoes View Post
    Well.....if you take a look boys, I have been spot on so far about most things. You don't need to be Einstein to work out that when Maitland go from 8th to a GF and Thommo and Young Cowburn front up with the Swann bros that they have broken the bank....As for Jaffas, if they had money to spend they wouldn't have approached Merewether WPL to share their ground to block New Lambton taking over. Open your eyes boys and girls. The only thing Premier about the local comp is the cock up way in which they trade. Magic and Olympic have community cash that props them up, otherwise the whole thing folds. In fact if the new group of ex pros looking to reinvent the game get their way, NNSWF won't exist. Maybe a good thing.
    My issue is that you said:

"Unless you spend what you cannot afford, (Maitland last year Jaffas every year)"

I said prove it or shut up. You still have proved nothing. Where is your proof that those clubs spend what they can't afford? The fact that they are still going might put a hole in your argument.

I am not sure how having money would enable Jaffas to block New Lambton's bid to use Edden. Are you suggesting that they could pay someone to block New Lambton? The rumoured approach to Merewether WNPL would be more about getting Jaffas usage of Edden higher to counter any argument from New Lambton in that area. From what I have heard, New Lambton's way of going about getting on to Edden has upset more than just Jaffas.

I will agree with you that getting rid of the administrative body that is NNSW Football would be a good thing. Handle all admin nationally. The problem with centralising everything is that everyone outside of Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane will be forgotten. Happens in every line of business in this country. There will be someone appointed as a head honcho for the area (maybe a small staff) because if there isn't, who will take the regions problems to the national body? Who will sort the local competitions? No one.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    I am not sure how having money would enable Jaffas to block New Lambton's bid to use Edden. Are you suggesting that they could pay someone to block New Lambton? The rumoured approach to Merewether WNPL would be more about getting Jaffas usage of Edden higher to counter any argument from New Lambton in that area. From what I have heard, New Lambton's way of going about getting on to Edden has upset more than just Jaffas.
    Indeed Jaffas don't need to share the grounds to get money, and that wouldn't work anyway because Merewether would be paying council not Jaffas. Also ignores the bloke that funds the Jaffas, as long as they have him (and his kids are allowed to play for the club) they don't need to find other ways of getting coin.

Quote Originally Posted by Onyatoes View Post
    How did Maitland go from 8th to a gf.
    Last 4 year's results
    2016 4th lost to Edgeworth in semi
    2017 8th
    2018 3rd lost to Magic in semi
    2019 PREMIERS lost to Edgy in gf.
    Still seem to be going with a strong squad this season, so the bank may not be broken.
    Jaffas have money to spend every year, good sponsors, especially Sneddo.
    Who are you involved with Onyatoes

I “think” what Onyatoes is generally saying is, like any business, if a club is spending $x on players and that spend is so high that they are unable to trade in an economically constrained environment (eg like we are seeing now) or they are relying on the income from the following fiscal year to pay the debts of year before - its not a responsible position to be in.
    There are clubs right now who are definitely struggling. At least one I know (as you all would know) uses is gifted significant $$ from the it Interdistrict/Community teams every year. What will the impact be if juniors don’t play for this club - another major hit to an already depleted budget.
    The reason why clubs are so intent on playing SAP and Youth? They need that rego help the club afloat. No question - ask your clubs for a breakdown of their budgets. Trust me - only those who could play seniors without SAP and Youth playing are truely sustainable

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dawson View Post
    I “think” what Onyatoes is generally saying is, like any business, if a club is spending $x on players and that spend is so high that they are unable to trade in an economically constrained environment (eg like we are seeing now) or they are relying on the income from the following fiscal year to pay the debts of year before - its not a responsible position to be in.
    There are clubs right now who are definitely struggling. At least one I know (as you all would know) uses is gifted significant $$ from the it Interdistrict/Community teams every year. What will the impact be if juniors don’t play for this club - another major hit to an already depleted budget.
    The reason why clubs are so intent on playing SAP and Youth? They need that rego help the club afloat. No question - ask your clubs for a breakdown of their budgets. Trust me - only those who could play seniors without SAP and Youth playing are truely sustainable
    Yeah I agree with those points from Onyatoes, and you can look at past clubs histories and it is a proven fact, Lakes probably a standout from the days they had Babic, Brown, Swancott, Burt, O'Sullivan running around.
    But you can't paint every club the same, and if some clubs work harder as a committee and recruit plenty of sponsors and run their club properly, good luck to them and who cares what they spend.
    I agree with both of you about certain clubs robbing their youth to pay 1st grade, even the next year's rego money.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Yeah I agree with those points from Onyatoes, and you can look at past clubs histories and it is a proven fact, Lakes probably a standout from the days they had Babic, Brown, Swancott, Burt, O'Sullivan running around.
    But you can't paint every club the same, and if some clubs work harder as a committee and recruit plenty of sponsors and run their club properly, good luck to them and who cares what they spend.
    I agree with both of you about certain clubs robbing their youth to pay 1st grade, even the next year's rego money.
    Every club does it, there’s no doubt about it

Has anyone heard the rumour that first and reserve grade NPL is only 13 rounds this year???

That’s what has been presented to NNSW by Clubs - late this week.
    Whether NNSW consider it or not will be interesting.
    Makes good sense in many respects - when considering the financial elements facing clubs

Caleb Cox from Weston to Jaffas

I was at Westfield today, hundreds perhaps thousands of people there, social distancing not so great.
    I cannot believe Northern will not allow spectators at games with appropriate distancing.
    Plenty of space around all grounds for the couple of hundred at grounds to spread out.
    And don’t start me on schools and school buses, good they are back at school but over 1000 kids in my sons school and at times dozens of kids pretty close to each other so my son says.
    So why no appropriately spaced spectators at NPL??!

And just now watching Brisbane Broncos fans parked side by side watching a big screen of the game tonight, most people sitting at the back or front of their car, 70 cars, over 250 people, all families at least 2 metres apart, yet same can’t be done according to the fools at Northern!
    Last edited by hamburgler; 28-05-2020 at 07:17 PM.

While I neither agree nor disagree with your statements. Wouldn't the rule be driven by current government policy re: crowds? I could only assume if the government moves to 100+ people come kickoff time that spectators may be allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgler View Post
    I was at Westfield today, hundreds perhaps thousands of people there, social distancing not so great.
    I cannot believe Northern will not allow spectators at games with appropriate distancing.
    Plenty of space around all grounds for the couple of hundred at grounds to spread out.
    And don’t start me on schools and school buses, good they are back at school but over 1000 kids in my sons school and at times dozens of kids pretty close to each other so my son says.
    So why no appropriately spaced spectators at NPL??!

And just now watching Brisbane Broncos fans parked side by side watching a big screen of the game tonight, most people sitting at the back or front of their car, 70 cars, over 250 people, all families at least 2 metres apart, yet same can’t be done according to the fools at Northern!
    Of course Northern make all the rules, I know who the fool is here

So 13 round competition it is. What are everyone's thoughts on this, will they bring out a new draw?

So 13 round competition it is. What are everyone's thoughts on this, will they bring out a new draw?
    Teams were notified of it last week

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    Teams were notified of it last week
    Of the 13 round comp Goatscheese or of a new draw

Of the 13 round comp Goatscheese or of a new draw
    The new draw a memo was sent out showing them the rounds they play on what weekend and the dates of the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    The new draw a memo was sent out showing them the rounds they play on what weekend and the dates of the finals.
    Thanks, yeah I just heard it will follow the original draw from July 11.
    So round 1 will be
    Jaffas vs Edgeworth
    Maitland vs Olympic
    Broadmeadow vs Adamstown
    Weston vs Azzurri
    Lakes vs Valentine

Some interesting reads in the herald last few days
    Azzurri and Olympic losing players, various reasons, work, study, boarders.

Also read that clubs have imposed a player transfer hold, PPS I believe, except Jaffas obviously,

Wonder if non PPS players can move, Olympic probably not so effected, they have had strong 20’s etc but Azzurri, not so, is it an opportunity for fringe player, or do clubs just do their best this season.

Will be interesting