Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 National Premier League thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Not commenting on the refereeing, as I haven’t seen the incident.
    The biggest issue with refereeing is numbers. Just like any team or club.

If you have 14 people turn up to trial at a club, you pretty much give them a spot. You can coach them, you can give them experiences, you can teach them tactics, but at the end of the day, their ceilings are pretty set. You may be lucky as have a few good players. You may also get nothing. You get what you are given.

If you have 100 people turn up. You can put them through their paces, judge their skill and experience. Then you pick the best 14.
    You have a better chance of picking players with higher ceilings and better skill when 100 turn up than the bare minimum.
    Same as reffing, there aren’t the number turning up year after year wanting to referee. So you get those that are willing regardless of their skill, ability and experience.
    I’m not sure how you make it more appealing. It’s a pretty crap gig and not many people are suited to it. The people best suited are generally players that understand the game. However most want to go into coaching, not refereeing.
    I’m not sure it justifies more money.
    I also think the introduction of small sided games means that new first year referees are refereeing older games like 12-18s ID games earlier. These are probably the trickiest to control due to the age of players, physicality of some games, dissent from players not understanding consequences and also spectators. Nobody wants to be getting abuse left right and centre all day at work and referees are no different.
    Not many congratulate the referee on their performance. More common now probably than it has been. There’s a push for more respect and I think that will help.
    There needs to be a better understanding that they will make mistakes. The same as players make errors, they will too. Any decision, even if it’s correct, goes against one team. Not many cases will the team penalised say “yep, good call”. The game has a heavy focus on deceiving the referee. Diving, yelling for fouls and contact, arguing your innocence etc. that’s the nature of it.
    we also struggle for referee numbers in the lower leagues, but every club needs to have a certain amount of referees registered to allow them to have teams in comps. Not sure what the minimums are.

But it also helps focus clubs to not only player stock but also referees. The younger team games are often (small sided stuff) are done by the active teams, they get set an amount of games that need to be officiated. (but in addition I.e even the first team has a minimum amount of things they need to do for the club, ref games, help out indoor tournament setup, setup and clean up of the Club bar at the town festival etc)
    Amigos Aarau

Quote Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
    Cavaliere to Magic
    Atayde to Magic
    Pappas to Jaffas
    Davies (Maitland) to Jaffas
    Brice to Jaffas
    Brice to Jaffas, would have to be 1000 to 1 .
    Eagle thru and thru, loves a three day bender, still out now.
    Employment opportunities
    Can’t see it

The only possible way Brice would leave Eagles is to follow Zane and Magic could match any offer from Jaffa’s

Would be welcome at any club but really, I just can’t see it

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    Brice to Jaffas, would have to be 1000 to 1 .
    Eagle thru and thru, loves a three day bender, still out now.
    Employment opportunities
    Can’t see it

The only possible way Brice would leave Eagles is to follow Zane and Magic could match any offer from Jaffa’s

Would be welcome at any club but really, I just can’t see it
    Yep the only way I see him leaving Edgy is if he isnt playing in Newcastle, but whilst ever he is in this comp Can’t see him playing anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Forever View Post
    Venue and pitch was great.

Northern were quiet strict with the grandstand limits for reserve grade match. Wonder if they over it by end of the day and gave up on it or crowd just ignored them.

Presentation could have been better. How hard is it for presenters to dress up. Chairwoman was worst offender and wearing shorts.
    The attire was a disgrace for such a big occasion.

Nick Cowburn has signed for lakes, maybe they offered the big $$ and no training required he has been after.

Quote Originally Posted by JustHearThings View Post
    Nick Cowburn has signed for lakes, maybe they offered the big $$ and no training required he has been after.
    Did you hear that from him? that's what he was looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    Did you hear that from him? that's what he was looking for?
    That's what he was after when he was at Maitland and more in the period he was there this year.

Cowburn always looked decent when given an opportunity at the Jets. Considering how much time he spent on the bench, his career stagnated hence he is back in the NPL. Dissapointing really considering he was one of the only players to advance out of the youth team to the A League squad.

Massive fall from grace but. A league to NPL Premiers Maitland to Lakes.

Can't go any lower in NPL then that.

Clearly people commenting hear that don’t know much about Lakes.
    Sure they have underperformed in first grade since they nearly went broke winning the comp about 12 years go. So In recent years they refuse to pay big $ for ANY player.

First graders at lakes are there because they want to be.
    For some it is to break in to first grade, for others it’s because they feel a real connection to the club (eg Sam Walker up until this year), for others it is their local club and for others the value the coaching staff (Rufo might be polarising but many players love playing under him).

I don’t know Cowburn’s reason but I can say with certainty it won’t be for money at Lakes. It is his local NPL club so convenience is probably a factor, as is the fact they seem to be a club with energy atm with an active committee, a decent rebrand (I love their 2021 playing strip), serious investment in coaching and support staff, and blooded a few good juniors in first grade this year (charlesworth, verstegen, nyman).

It’s also appears to be a cohesive first grade group. No coaching changes or player changes of note for 2021. While they were the spooners in 2020 they were competitive in most games and were in the difficult side of the draw for the second round. I rate them higher than at least Adamstown. They led magic last month with 5 min to go before blowing it. Their young players will be better next year and if Cowburn can fit in and become a bit of a leader I can see the team potentially mid table next year.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LongSufferingFan View Post
    Sure they have underperformed in first grade since they nearly went broke winning the comp about 12 years go. So In recent years they refuse to pay big $ for ANY player.

For some it is to break in to first grade, for others it’s because they feel a real connection to the club (eg Sam Walker up until this year), for others it is their local club and for others the value the coaching staff (Rufo might be polarising but many players love playing under him).

I don’t know Cowburn’s reason but I can say with certainty it won’t be for money at Lakes. It is his local NPL club so convenience is probably a factor, as is the fact they seem to be a club with energy atm with an active committee, a decent rebrand (I love their 2021 playing strip), serious investment in coaching and support staff, and blooded a few good juniors in first grade this year (charlesworth, verstegen, nyman).

It’s also appears to be a cohesive first grade group. No coaching changes or player changes of note for 2021. While they were the spooners in 2020 they were competitive in most games and were in the difficult side of the draw for the second round. I rate them higher than at least Adamstown. They led magic last month with 5 min to go before blowing it. Their young players will be better next year and if Cowburn can fit in and become a bit of a leader I can see the team potentially mid table next year.
    Hope they go well. Finishing last is pretty bad but if they are competitive nearly every week its a big help. If the bottom 2 can put a result on any team then it makes for a far better comp.

Haha you’re funny. Yeah Cowby is going there to play for the love of the game🤦*♂️.
    He will be on massive money

I agree with this cowburn will add leadership to the group, but can't really see them being a mid table team this year. What teams are they going to be above besides Adamstown.

Quote Originally Posted by JustHearThings View Post
    I agree with this cowburn will add leadership to the group, but can't really see them being a mid table team this year. What teams are they going to be above besides Adamstown.
    Too early to tell yet as there will be plenty of player movement this year across all clubs. My point being is this year they were competitive most weeks. I recall rd 1 v Jaffa’s they were good (1-0 loss to a late goal) and I remember watching on Bartv the magic game at Mac field and they should have won that game but Experience closing out games cost them that one.

With cowbies experience and talent He can lead the rest of the team and the younger players being a year more experienced will make for a much tougher team to beat in 2021. The way Lakes play under Rufo is direct and physical in defence so unless opposing teams Are up for the game I can see Lakes winning a few next year against higher rated opponents.

Of course, this all assumes Cowburn settles down and plays to his potential and doesn’t move on after being at the club for five minutes. Be interesting to see what happens but I have a feeling a club like lakes might suit Cowbie.

Too early to tell yet as there will be plenty of player movement this year across all clubs. My point being is this year they were competitive most weeks. I recall rd 1 v Jaffa’s they were good (1-0 loss to a late goal) and I remember watching on Bartv the magic game at Mac field and they should have won that game but Experience closing out games cost them that one.

With cowbies experience and talent He can lead the rest of the team and the younger players being a year more experienced will make for a much tougher team to beat in 2021. The way Lakes play under Rufo is direct and physical in defence so unless opposing teams Are up for the game I can see Lakes winning a few next year against higher rated opponents.

Of course, this all assumes Cowburn settles down and plays to his potential and doesn’t move on after being at the club for five minutes. Be interesting to see what happens but I have a feeling a club like lakes might suit Cowbie.
    Depends if he trains or not.

Sterrey gone

Quote Originally Posted by mge61 View Post
    Sterrey gone
    Sterrey who?

I know I’ve been banging on about Lakes but after today they are now in their 2nd 18NPL grand final in three years.
    Some good things coming out of the club. Resies and 18s have been strong now for three or four years which is a good thing for the NPL generally. It’s a healthy competition if the not-so-glamorous teams can perform at least in the lower grades.

a decent rebrand (I love their 2021 playing strip)
    Damn you weren't wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
    Sterrey who?
    Edgie coach