Page 14 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 National Premier League thread

People haven’t always been paid to play “local” sport - they used to play it for enjoyment and a love for the game.
    What drives the many volunteers on committees? Money? I know how many hours I put in every week for my club. And I am not driven by “what’s in it for me”.
    What makes these players think they are above this? How have we condition “local” players to think this ok? $1500 a game some are reported on this forum as receiving. Makes me really wonder where things have gone too.
    These are pretty unusual times and surely players can see beyond their own wallets - because without clubs and the volunteers (who are not paid), they don’t even have a game to strap their boots on for.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanky View Post
    How can you expect players and coaches to train 3 times a week and play on the weekend and not get paid for it
    As for the volunteers who turn up to see there mates at games that now cant go it will be like going to work for them.
    Its local football if crowds cant go its a waste of time playing.
    Who will pay for the referees
    In normal circumstances you wouldn't Swanky, but these aren't normal circumstances are they. If it's a 3 or 4 month season, let the players and coaches who want to play because they miss it play, and the same as the volunteers. There will be enough to cover the gaps of the players who won't do it without being paid.
    Everyone misses it that much, you may be surprised, and for the greedy ones who don't understand, let them sit at home.
    There are plenty of players and coaches outside of the NPL who do it for the love of the game, and volunteers who just want to watch their team play.
    And as for the referees, surely NPL clubs, are financial enough to cover the home referee fees out of the money they make from rego fees

Surely this is a better scenario than clubs going broke, after all, it's supposed to be amateur / semi pro isn't it. As far as I see it, if a club has players or a player they have been paying over $500 - $1000 a week for a few years and said player refused to play for free, after being well looked after by the club, then is this really a player you want at your club.
    Time to make the players accountable and see where the chips fall, in fact all of the clubs should use this time to band together for once, and make a stand and all clubs agree, no match payments this year due to no crowds or revenue.
    Could change the face of our competition forever and stop the gouging of youth registrations

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Surely this is a better scenario than clubs going broke, after all, it's supposed to be amateur / semi pro isn't it. As far as I see it, if a club has players or a player they have been paying over $500 - $1000 a week for a few years and said player refused to play for free, after being well looked after by the club, then is this really a player you want at your club.
    Time to make the players accountable and see where the chips fall, in fact all of the clubs should use this time to band together for once, and make a stand alclubs agree, no match payments this year due to no crowds or revenue.
    Could change the face of our competition forever and stop the gouging of youth registrations

Agree 100%. I couldn’t name 1 player who’s absence would affect the comp negatively. If players won’t play the game they love for free in these circumstances, throw in some 18s who will. In fact, if any positive could come out of this it would be a realisation that Clubs don’t need to pay over the hill players stupid wages and more of the kids rego money can go to improving the grassroots and youth who still have a dream.
    Go back to the days of $50 a win and $20 a draw

Quote Originally Posted by BS detecor View Post
    Agree 100%. I couldn’t name 1 player who’s absence would affect the comp negatively. If players won’t play the game they love for free in these circumstances, throw in some 18s who will. In fact, if any positive could come out of this it would be a realisation that Clubs don’t need to pay over the hill players stupid wages and more of the kids rego money can go to improving the grassroots and youth who still have a dream.
    Go back to the days of $50 a win and $20 a draw
    Certainly showing you are age here detector. You would need to go back 25 years or so for those player payments

But seriously, have our “local” players gotten any better and in turn the quality of football improved where “local players” (and I am not classing the a-league retirees in this group) are being paid extraordinary game payments? Do any/many give back to the game and their juniors? The fact we are are having a discussion about no pay - no play, would suggest not.
    The game can not afford what we currently have.
    A regional city, limited sponsorship dollars, shallow player pool and a awakening group of parents not wanting little Billy or Mary’s registration fees going to prop us investment in senior players.
    The fact that some clubs continue to use rego deposits to pay players of the season past emphasises my point.
    If we were to change things up - what would they be?
    Player payments would have to be one area. Another are the NNNSW driven facility standards.
    I would prefer to watch a cracking game of football standing on the fence, than a shite game in a new glossy new Grandstand - and all the while paying $$$ for the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dawson View Post
    But seriously, have our “local” players gotten any better and in turn the quality of football improved where “local players” (and I am not classing the a-league retirees in this group) are being paid extraordinary game payments? Do any/many give back to the game and their juniors? The fact we are are having a discussion about no pay - no play, would suggest not.
    The game can not afford what we currently have.
    A regional city, limited sponsorship dollars, shallow player pool and a awakening group of parents not wanting little Billy or Mary’s registration fees going to prop us investment in senior players.
    The fact that some clubs continue to use rego deposits to pay players of the season past emphasises my point.
    If we were to change things up - what would they be?
    Player payments would have to be one area. Another are the NNNSW driven facility standards.
    I would prefer to watch a cracking game of football standing on the fence, than a shite game in a new glossy new Grandstand - and all the while paying $$$ for the privilege.
    Agree. I’m amazed by story in Herald today. Clubs have to pay Northern near enough to $40,000 to compete in the competition this is virtually before a ball is kicked. You can then add inflated player payments on top of that. No wonder if they can’t play in front of crowds they want the season cancelled. I’d say there’s a big chance that that’s what will happen if restrictions aren’t lifted regarding gatherings.

Times that by 10 clubs Johnno and Northern are raking in nearly $400,000 per season through the NPL clubs and they return about a massive $25,000 in prize money for winning the Premiership or Gf

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
    Agree. I’m amazed by story in Herald today. Clubs have to pay Northern near enough to $40,000 to compete in the competition this is virtually before a ball is kicked. You can then add inflated player payments on top of that. No wonder if they can’t play in front of crowds they want the season cancelled. I’d say there’s a big chance that that’s what will happen if restrictions aren’t lifted regarding gatherings.
    Sometimes you need to know the real story behind why clubs needs crowds to games
    Everyone blames coaches and players for being greedy
    If you win the double you don't even get your money back

Not quite as high - but sigificant - are the comps fees to NNSW for NEWFM and WPL

Can someone post the article here?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Can someone post the article here?
    Sorry to do in this format but it’s hidden behind Heralds paywall so if you don’t subscribe you wouldn’t be able to read.

Northern NSW Football boss David Eland says it would be disappointing for everyone if the region's best male players did not get on the field this year because of financial reasons but he has been encouraged by feedback from NPL clubs.

NNSWF and NPL club representatives met online last week to discuss the potential return in July of the top men's division, which was suspended just before the season kick-off in March because of the COVID-19 pandemic. It followed a meeting and subsequent survey of clubs this month.

While a likely relaxing of government restrictions in coming weeks could allow community sport to resume, the NPL faces the potential challenge of operating without spectators, gate takings and canteen profits.

Like in the Newcastle Rugby League, most, if not all, first-grade players in the NNSW NPL are paid and clubs rely heavily on game-day revenue and sponsors to fund payments.

Eland said NNSWF had presented a worst-case scenario of no crowds this year to NPL clubs, who had been asked for more information this week on their financial situation and potential losses in 2020.

He said NNSWF was also "very prepared to look at the participation fees and do whatever we can to lighten the burden on clubs". NPL clubs pay a participation fee of $38,475.20, which includes collected senior and youth registrations totalling $15,565.20. Other costs in the total include FFA entry ($825) and match official fees ($11,580).

Regardless of a concession, most clubs will need to cut player wages this year, especially given the financial blow to many sponsors in the pandemic. Eland, though, said he had been encouraged by the spirit of cooperation.

"The feedback we have is a number of clubs have already had those discussions with their players, that sport at every level is going to be different and the NPL isn't immune," Eland said.

"It's going to be different if it resumes in 2020 and all stakeholders are going to have to work together for the benefit of the game. I think it would be disappointing for everyone if the best players in Northern NSW didn't get to play this year.

"The feedback we got was that, of course players make a big commitment and they would like to be paid, but overwhelmingly it was we want to play. We don't want to be sitting the season out."

Eland said NPL clubs wanted NNSWF to work towards having crowds of up to 500 people, which was an initial government COVID-19 restriction on outdoor gatherings, but they also "just want to see football".

NPL standing committee chairperson Andrew Bozinovski said last week's meeting was positive and "clubs want to get the comp going" but he believed many will not support playing senior football without crowds.

"There's a fair bit of concern among the clubs about social distancing and financial viability if a large proportion of the season is played behind closed doors," Bozinovski said.

"It would be more manageable for clubs if we went back to the 500 rule on crowds, but if it's participants only, I think a lot of clubs will have financial questions to resolve.

"A lot of the clubs' major sponsors are pubs and clubs, which are shut, so that puts even more pressure on canteen and gate takings. If you can't have that, that puts pressure on the first-grade comp. If the games are not open, that's concerning for some clubs."

Eland said seven of the 10 NPL clubs were prepared to play into late November to complete a season and it was possible given most have access to their ground all year. Clubs also said a home-and-away regular season was a priority over a shortened competition to allow for finals. He said most clubs wanted three weeks of training to prepare for the season.

He also said clubs accepted that first-grade matches would have priority in washout situations and lower-grade games lost to rain could be deemed 0-0 draws and not played.

Competition models, with variations in the number of midweek games, a season finish and the inclusion of a finals series, were presented to clubs for consideration.

Eland talks about worst case no spectators.

NBN news tonight - story on
    National Cabinet considering a plan to resume junior sport this Friday. The recommendation is spectators will be allowed and draws will be arranged to minimise at any one time at grounds.

A record of spectators would be kept to assist in controlling a localised outbreak of COVID19 if necessary.

Admittedly this was junior sport Australia wide, not specifically NNSW NPL.

But surely if the National Cabinet considers it appropriate to allow spectators to junior sport, given some of the crowd sizes at some of those match days, even if reduced crowds compared to normal, surely with appropriate distancing measures NPL could see crowd attendance at games this year.

It would be pathetic of FFA and/ or NNSW to prevent spectators attending NPL if National Cabinet approves!

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgler View Post
    Eland talks about worst case no spectators.

NBN news tonight - story on
    National Cabinet considering a plan to resume junior sport this Friday. The recommendation is spectators will be allowed and draws will be arranged to minimise at any one time at grounds.

A record of spectators would be kept to assist in controlling a localised outbreak of COVID19 if necessary.

Admittedly this was junior sport Australia wide, not specifically NNSW NPL.

But surely if the National Cabinet considers it appropriate to allow spectators to junior sport, given some of the crowd sizes at some of those match days, even if reduced crowds compared to normal, surely with appropriate distancing measures NPL could see crowd attendance at games this year.

It would be pathetic of FFA and/ or NNSW to prevent spectators attending NPL if National Cabinet approves!
    100% Burgler only thing is it is not from this Friday the Cabinet are meeting Friday to discuss but positive signs from Govt.

100% Burgler only thing is it is not from this Friday the Cabinet are meeting Friday to discuss but positive signs from Govt.

Surely the size of the crowds and the size of the grounds would lend to plenty of room to spread out around the field and use common sense at the canteen. Maybe clubs could set up a couple of beer stations around the ground to the drinkers.
    What’s an NPL average crowd anyway. If it’s 500 I’d be surprised

Quote Originally Posted by BS detecor View Post
    Surely the size of the crowds and the size of the grounds would lend to plenty of room to spread out around the field and use common sense at the canteen. Maybe clubs could set up a couple of beer stations around the ground to the drinkers.
    What’s an NPL average crowd anyway. If it’s 500 I’d be surprised
    Completely agree Detector

Let’s hope some common sense prevails

Quote Originally Posted by Swanky View Post
    Sometimes you need to know the real story behind why clubs needs crowds to games
    Everyone blames coaches and players for being greedy
    If you win the double you don't even get your money back
    Yeah it is amazing, you go on to win and you don't even get the comp fee back. It's standard for Northern, similar to their five a side comps, the winning team gets their money back. Better to keep the money and just go to the pub

I'd love to see the breakdown of exactly where the $38,475.20 goes...but I think we can all guess
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

I'd love to see the breakdown of exactly where the $38,475.20 goes...but I think we can all guess
    Apparently 50 FT/PT/Casual staff at Speers Point. 7 branded cars, all probably leased. Corporate wages to "Management" to manage park football......All whilst the clubs they are supposed to govern trade themselves into insolvency whilst drifting Regos off Youth parents with stars in their eyes to pay inflated wages to average players. Smell a lot like misappropriation to me....

The Herald article said NPL clubs pay a participation fee of $38,475.20, which includes collected senior and youth registrations totalling $15,565.20. Other costs in the total include FFA entry ($825) and match official fees ($11,580).

So take out the match offical fees, registration fees and FFA fee and the NPL entry fee is what, $10,505??

Entry into ZPL is $3500.

The entry fee isn't killing clubs.