Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 NPL Youth Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post

4 excellent matches.
    u16 could be interesting after the last meeting with a couple of Olympic players given their marching orders. No backward steps here!!
    u15 Edgy unbeaten this year but with two draws against Jaffas (with one of them being against a 10 man Jaffas) this will be an arm wrestle.
    u14 can you go past this goal machine aka Olympic?
    u13 after a great season, Mid Coast to win.
    U14s will be interesting since neither side have met each other this year as both clubs decided to wash each other out to secure the point each.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    The difference is that the clubs hosting the semi-finals while it is Northern hosting the grand final. Despite being at Edgeworth it isn't Edgeworth running the day but Northern.
    Understand that but the competition is sanctioned by NNSW and week in week out clubs are allowed to virtually do what they like. Comes to the big dance and they want to be seen to be doing the right thing.

Grand final weekend
    Less supporters than semi final weekend (thanks NNSWF)

Saturday at Edgy
    9am - u13 - Mid North Coast v Magic
    11.30 - u14 - Olympic v Magic
    2pm - u15 - Edgeworth vs Jaffas

Sunday at Maitland
    9am - u16 - Olympic vs Jaffas

4 excellent matches.
    u16 could be interesting after the last meeting with a couple of Olympic players given their marching orders. No backward steps here!!
    u15 Edgy unbeaten this year but with two draws against Jaffas (with one of them being against a 10 man Jaffas) this will be an arm wrestle.
    u14 can you go past this goal machine aka Olympic?
    u13 after a great season, Mid Coast to win.
    Olympic 16s have bottled it 3 years in a row, surely they win it this year

Jeez that Lambton 15s coach did really well this year. Congrats!
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    Jeez that Lambton 15s coach did really well this year. Congrats!
    Apparently not well enough to be retained...

Banned
    Apparently not well enough to be retained...
    Retention has nothing to do with this job well done.

Not as bad as the fat Magic U14 parent yelling at the ref he was a cheating time waster and arguing with the Olympic player.
    What is it with the grub culture at that club?
    Last edited by Negative Police; 21-11-2020 at 08:30 PM.

16s 2.1 olympic

Quote Originally Posted by BS detecor View Post
    Olympic 16s have bottled it 3 years in a row, surely they win it this year
    This was their second GF appearance in the 4 years they've been in the comp.

Quote Originally Posted by Onehunglow View Post
    This was their second GF appearance in the 4 years they've been in the comp.
    I know, for a team that only lost 6 games in 4 years plus 2 semis and a GF. They were due

Quote Originally Posted by BS detecor View Post
    I know, for a team that only lost 6 games in 4 years plus 2 semis and a GF. They were due
    They are a quality outfit and they deserved to win a GF for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Onehunglow View Post
    They are a quality outfit and they deserved to win a GF for sure.
    I hadnt watched them much before but they had a lot of long ball in that direct attack. surprised me. Was expecting a clinical passing game to get those results.

Quote Originally Posted by samcan View Post
    I hadnt watched them much before but they had a lot of long ball in that direct attack. surprised me. Was expecting a clinical passing game to get those results.
    Yep, lots of long balls and pace up front but it gets the results I suppose. Not a lot of playing it out from the back

Interesting.
    I don’t mind it when teams play direct.
    I think it’s just as valid a tactic as any. Not saying the above was whinging, but historically there’s been arguments that long ball is rubbish and shouldn’t be used etc. I think it a) teaches the offensive team to use that tactic, and identify when it can be used most productively. And b) it helps teams come up against this and learn how to counteract this tactic.

If Australia win the World Cup from long ball, I ain’t gonna be complaining.
    Similarly so, if a team wins NPL by scoring from long balls, fair play to them.

If that’s the only tactic they have, it’s a pretty easy solution for opposition coaches/clubs, but the fact they have success tells me that’s not their only trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Interesting.
    I don’t mind it when teams play direct.
    I think it’s just as valid a tactic as any. Not saying the above was whinging, but historically there’s been arguments that long ball is rubbish and shouldn’t be used etc. I think it a) teaches the offensive team to use that tactic, and identify when it can be used most productively. And b) it helps teams come up against this and learn how to counteract this tactic.

If Australia win the World Cup from long ball, I ain’t gonna be complaining.
    Similarly so, if a team wins NPL by scoring from long balls, fair play to them.

If that’s the only tactic they have, it’s a pretty easy solution for opposition coaches/clubs, but the fact they have success tells me that’s not their only trick.
    Id be near certain they could put a decent short game together. Just wondering if it is a club style thing.

Quote Originally Posted by samcan View Post
    In any knock-out game, and particularly grand finals, the aim is firstly to win, which includes adapting to your opponents.
    But is this criticism of team tactics more tall poppy syndrome on your part rather than well informed knowledge of the game?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by early_to_the_match View Post
    In any knock-out game, and particularly grand finals, the aim is firstly to win, which includes adapting to your opponents.
    But is this criticism of team tactics more tall poppy syndrome on your part rather than well informed knowledge of the game?
    Here we go again. Another offended twat. I didnt see any criticism but more observation of style.

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Police View Post
    Here we go again. Another offended twat. I didnt see any criticism but more observation of style.
    So NP, you are upset that I replied to a post by samcan. Are you 2 related or the same person. And calling someone a "twat" hardly strengthens your point in an argument that doesn't even exist or involve you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    agreed. 2 teams played in a GF someone asked about the style of play. a discussion was had. no one is jealous, there's no country being nuked by another. Replace the teams with any in the competition, the same discussion was had. You can win or lose a grand final and still learn something from it.

It's the same with SAP. when it was association run kids often moved clubs when their parents moved, or circumstances changed. no one got their knickers in a knot, it happened, the programs were similar across the board (maybe inherently this is the issue with the new program).

teenagers who have played against each other all season, get on the park and play a game of football together, instead of against each other (happens at the sports high every single week). Many have friends across teams, some they have from school, coming through SAP, or outside private training.

players who are serious about their sport can get on a field with a bunch of kids they have played against, or don't even know and play the same game of football, club football being one part of their development.

First graders move across clubs as well. So why is it that people can't have a discussion without thinking that it means you need to wage war about whatever club you associate with, or have your kids playing at?

Looks like a bunch of magic boys off to the Jets after a bunch of Jets boys went to the mariners