Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 NPL Youth Thread

Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    I think you were looking for "NSW Office of Sport"....

Was posted today that youth including 18's will get their full season, as it is, just with shifted dates.

"There is no material change to the NPL Youth competitions. Clubs will play out their season as it is currently structured, with alterations made only to the fixtures to push the season back."

https://northernnswfootball.com.au/p...020-announced/
    Actually there is another change. Games that are washed out will not be replayed. Such games will be classed as a draw and both teams will be awarded 1 point. North Coast are guaranteed at least half of their matches will proceed by playing on synthetic at Speers Point. Clubs whose drainage is not so good may potentially miss out, keeping in mind the BOM has forecast a wetter than usual winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodo14 View Post
    U18's have been pushed down to the youth group and are playing a full season as well. This is just so the clubs don't have to pay any refunds to youth players. Everything from Northern and the clubs has been about money and refunds. So sad
    Seems very similar to the other associations. I'm not the biggest fan of NNSWF administration but it's hard to single them out for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodo14 View Post
    U18's have been pushed down to the youth group and are playing a full season as well. This is just so the clubs don't have to pay any refunds to youth players. Everything from Northern and the clubs has been about money and refunds. So sad
    I don't understand this comment. Money and refunds? I know I'd prefer that my kid still gets a full season (or any sort of season) of football, games are integral to development. Why is it sad, especially at this level?

I think it's sad all the community kids that are going to miss out because clubs can't run a season this year. I think the NL1 and up Youth are actually lucky to not lose a full season of football.

In regards to washed out games, I guess you can't win them all, but some sort of season is still better than nothing.

Great to see all the boys back playing. Some blow outs in some games.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Great to see all the boys back playing. Some blow outs in some games.
    Are you surprised?

Quote Originally Posted by Alton View Post
    Are you surprised?
    Not in the slightest. The talent pool is still way too shallow.

Not in the slightest. The talent pool is still way too shallow.
    Northern really need to do something in this space. You are right talent pool way to small. I reckon 8 teams in each grade max. Then you have NewFm comp that’s worse. The flow on though is terrible went and watched my nephew play interdistrict A grade on Saturday seriously the standard was atrocious. Yet as I stood back and watched and listened parents from both clubs carrying on their kid is playing A grade. The whole system is so broken. Over to you NNSW.

Hopefully, over time, SAP will go some way to fixing this. In the meantime there will remain a big gap between some NPL clubs, and an even bigger gap to the NEWFM.

Hopefully, over time, SAP will go some way to fixing this. In the meantime there will remain a big gap between some NPL clubs, and an even bigger gap to the NEWFM.
    Hopefully SAP creates a bigger pool of kids that have received better training earlier than they would have previously. Unfortunately though SAP is already having issues with very one sided games.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    Hopefully SAP creates a bigger pool of kids that have received better training earlier than they would have previously. Unfortunately though SAP is already having issues with very one sided games.
    Best kids congregating at the "bigger" clubs?

Not sure how to fix it unless NNSW run it and have no club affiliations with it.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Best kids congregating at the "bigger" clubs?

Not sure how to fix it unless NNSW run it and have no club affiliations with it.
    The best kids are definitely still going to the strong clubs. The Under 10's and 11's NNSWF Skill Development Programs (NPL TSP equivalent) are at least 50-60% full with kids from Olympic and Magic. Other clubs have a max of 1-2 players, if any, to make up the numbers.

The problem is that you then have these very strong teams playing against some of the NewFM Club SAP teams. When the likes of Adamstown, Lak Mac, Weston are being played off the park by the stronger clubs, what hope do they have?

The best kids are definitely still going to the strong clubs. The Under 10's and 11's NNSWF Skill Development Programs (NPL TSP equivalent) are at least 50-60% full with kids from Olympic and Magic. Other clubs have a max of 1-2 players, if any, to make up the numbers.

The problem is that you then have these very strong teams playing against some of the NewFM Club SAP teams. When the likes of Adamstown, Lak Mac, Weston are being played off the park by the stronger clubs, what hope do they have?
    Hi guys,

This is a good discussion. I am currently concerned with what happens when U10 SAP rolls into U11 SAP and clubs carrying two teams need an extra 4-5 players for each team. The bigger clubs are going to seek out the better players, and that means other smaller clubs will lose their better players. This mean more lopsided games and less competitive games all round.

I have proposed moving to one team in U11 SAP at our club to mitigate this problem, and the club are happy to do it - but only if every other clubs agrees to this as well. With upwards of $10k in rego fees for an U11 SAP team, clubs are not going to pull the pin on that extra team, and so the cycle of bigger clubs accumulating all the better kids goes on.

Northern said 2 years ago U11 would be one team per club. But money talked and that disappeared quickly. All this means that by the time you get to Youth age games, kids are already either at 2/3 teams, or many have been lost to the game.

This makes me a bit sad!

A

magic and olympic have been 2 of the clubs that have implemented the SAP program better than most.as for newfm teams struggling you certainly havent been watching teams play.plenty of big clubs out there playing football directly opposite to the point of SAP but coaches/parents/players very boisterous about how good they are based on them winning games.that philosophy will carry over to NPL youth and the best footballing teams will be still strong.you want to talk about players abandoning teams what about when teams cut 10 year old kids for no real reason.kids that then turn up at places like magic and olympic who then go on to perform more than adequately to justify a place in their program.a big focus needs to be put on coaches and tds at these some of these so called big clubs to see what order they prioritise winning, skill development and the well being of the kids.and be honest with yourselves because ive seen enough shameful shit already to know who the really successful clubs are.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
    Northern really need to do something in this space. You are right talent pool way to small. I reckon 8 teams in each grade max. Then you have NewFm comp that’s worse. The flow on though is terrible went and watched my nephew play interdistrict A grade on Saturday seriously the standard was atrocious. Yet as I stood back and watched and listened parents from both clubs carrying on their kid is playing A grade. The whole system is so broken. Over to you NNSW.
    I've seen some NewFM Youth team able to beat some NPL Youth teams. There is really three groups in NNSW Youth comps, 6-7 good NPL teams, the rest that the top 4 NewFM teams can match with and then the rest.

Northern's mid-season cup they had planned would've gone a good way to showing this and I wouldn't have been surprised to see a NewFM club win when their NPL opponents were Lakes and Valentine

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post
    I've seen some NewFM Youth team able to beat some NPL Youth teams. There is really three groups in NNSW Youth comps, 6-7 good NPL teams, the rest that the top 4 NewFM teams can match with and then the rest.

Northern's mid-season cup they had planned would've gone a good way to showing this and I wouldn't have been surprised to see a NewFM club win when their NPL opponents were Lakes and Valentine
    Lol. Way to underestimate the kids. I very much doubt a NEWFM under 13 team would beat the Valo team this year, even Lakes this year is half a team of SAP kids. Just like SAP some NPL clubs are all about winning and others about development of players. Ask how many kids at magic or Jaffas get to bench for the next age group up. Some clubs specifically leave spots for the best kids in their younger group to play up. It's short sighted and shows a lack of understanding about football development to look at a scoreline. When was the last time a goalkeeper was picked up by the jets from a top team. Where do those same winning clubs look for hard working defenders and Youth players that don't have such a big ego that they fall apart a few goals down as they come through the NPL age groups.

If you have kids in SAP now, then you have got a long way to go, and the kids have a lot of realisations to come to about the pure politics of football selection as they get older. If you want to prepare them, prepare them for the resilience and tenacity they will need, when a kid is selected for NPL not because he is better but because he has an older sibling playing for the club, or throws in a substantial sponsorship. thats the truth of it, Welcome to NPL.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatscheese View Post

Laughable. I doubt there would be an U14 NewFM team that could beat the Valo 13s this season!

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    magic and olympic have been 2 of the clubs that have implemented the SAP program better than most.as for newfm teams struggling you certainly havent been watching teams play.plenty of big clubs out there playing football directly opposite to the point of SAP but coaches/parents/players very boisterous about how good they are based on them winning games.that philosophy will carry over to NPL youth and the best footballing teams will be still strong.you want to talk about players abandoning teams what about when teams cut 10 year old kids for no real reason.kids that then turn up at places like magic and olympic who then go on to perform more than adequately to justify a place in their program.a big focus needs to be put on coaches and tds at these some of these so called big clubs to see what order they prioritise winning, skill development and the well being of the kids.and be honest with yourselves because ive seen enough shameful shit already to know who the really successful clubs are.
    I'm not going to continue a SAP discussion in this thread, I'll reply to your comments in the SAP one.

My main point was about the best kids going to the best clubs in SAP - which will carry over to NPL Youth.

52628357-5130-4571-B86B-200F75F36147.jpg

I think the picture is difficult to read but the current 13s ladder already appears to be showing a distinct divide between the better and lesser teams. Should there be 2 tiers in youth? If so, how many teams in each?
    Last edited by Captain_Carl; 20-07-2020 at 03:26 PM.

yep and take a look at the 15s table. Even more pronounced:
    Capture.JPG

u14s, Olympic after 4 matches have a gd of 40!
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

It simply supports the point made in the SAP thread that the talent is too diluted. There are just too many teams and not enough talented kids