Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 NPL Youth Thread

Quote Originally Posted by early_to_the_match View Post
    And it was a big rap for a team coming second and a goal difference of 40 less than team coming first.
    Take that one kid out of Olymoic’s team and what do they have.
    They've pumped the bottom teams and struggled to score against the top teams on the ladder. Because they can't knock the ball around.

Plus, rumours have it that 2 players from Olympic 14s team have racially abused a player in one of their last games.
    If this is true there should be harsh penalties hand down. NO ROOM FOR RACISM in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
    A player from the U15s played Reserve Grade on the weekend too.
    Really, must be good. Keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by YewYew View Post
    LOL Sound like you already at Magic to me!!

Give yourself another pat on the back bro!!
    No, but that's where my son wants to play.

Quote Originally Posted by KITZ View Post
    Last time I watched a magic game the 13s coach made them run sprints after playing for 80 minutes until at least one of them was laying on the ground looking like he was going to lose his breakfast. This continued until the 14's came out onto the pitch for their game, I assume it was some sort of punishment because they only scored one goal against us in the second half. They definitely are good at making their kids "enjoy" football, although I don't think kids need to be "made" to enjoy football, its certainly easy to make them stop enjoying it though...
    What game was that, for a coach to make the team do sprints after a game, Don't be ridiculous.

You said kids don't need to be made to enjoy it. Well sorry, they do, if they don't enjoy it that's why kids want to change clubs or they don't like the coaching style where their at so, yes they do have to enjoy it. 🤔 That's a pretty stupid statement, if you have a coach that's useless and always being repetitive in their session and is coaching out of a textbook, kids tend to lose interest and stop enjoying it and want to leave. So, if you're doing new things all the time that keeps the kids learning and wanting more.
    That's the type of enjoyment I'm talking about.
    Kids need to be taught, old school football.

Quote Originally Posted by YerMate View Post
    What game was that, for a coach to make the team do sprints after a game, Don't be ridiculous.

You said kids don't need to be made to enjoy it. Well sorry, they do, if they don't enjoy it that's why kids want to change clubs or they don't like the coaching style where their at so, yes they do have to enjoy it. �� That's a pretty stupid statement, if you have a coach that's useless and always being repetitive in their session and is coaching out of a textbook, kids tend to lose interest and stop enjoying it and want to leave. So, if you're doing new things all the time that keeps the kids learning and wanting more.
    That's the type of enjoyment I'm talking about.
    Kids need to be taught, old school football.
    I was there, they were playing against my kids team. We were all watching from the sideline, even the parents of said kids in the team who said "he mustn't have been happy with something they were doing."

All of the clubs have their positives and negatives, but you can't make a post like that and NOT expect people to share alternate viewpoints.

Also, get used to the name calling, the Maitland team song includes calling the other team "sh*t" repeatably when they win. sounds terrible from a bunch of 12 year olds, but theres lots of rubbish going on around different teams that happens, poor winners, poor losers. Unless the clubs teach different behaviours, thats what you are going to get.

Makes me think you haven't been around all that much really.

If I had to "make" my teenager want to train or turn up, no matter how good or bad the training is, then what's the point. Success and enjoyment need to be intrinsic, you aren't always going to have a coach you really like, or a training plan that suits you. Your kid could go to magic and go "well crap this isn't what I was expecting." would you go, ok well you can just quit then? this isn't kick around the park on a Sunday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by JettyJet View Post
    Dominated the Jets in 15's , 16's and 18's last weekend also.
    Apparently the jets went to the coast with full strength squads today

Which Coast? Central, Mid or North?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Forever View Post
    Which Coast? Central, Mid or North?
    I believe central was the coast and the word dominated was used to describe the days events

Banned
    Magic 13s keeper on ground with Ambulance and splint on arm. Whats the latest on him. Didnt see the incident. Speedy recovery

Massively lop sided results in all ages except 16s again over the weekend. 4 clubs seem to stand out and the rest are just making up the numbers

Misguided Parent Making Up the Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Massively lop sided results in all ages except 16s again over the weekend. 4 clubs seem to stand out and the rest are just making up the numbers
    Yeah mate because winning the $2.50 medallion for being U13 champions is what youth football is all about right? What a ridiculous comment you make! Some people (parents) who chase youth glory might be attracted to these 4 ‘stand out’ clubs but isn’t development of the individual player more important? Do you think an individual player will necessarily develop better by being in a winning team? I would argue that they will learn more by having to overcome adversity. At least one of these amazing clubs you mention have a policy of not playing kids up an age while many of the clubs not in these 4 you refer to do indeed promote youth players. You are really missing the point of youth NPL if you think winning is the name of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Carl View Post
    Yeah mate because winning the $2.50 medallion for being U13 champions is what youth football is all about right? What a ridiculous comment you make! Some people (parents) who chase youth glory might be attracted to these 4 ‘stand out’ clubs but isn’t development of the individual player more important? Do you think an individual player will necessarily develop better by being in a winning team? I would argue that they will learn more by having to overcome adversity. At least one of these amazing clubs you mention have a policy of not playing kids up an age while many of the clubs not in these 4 you refer to do indeed promote youth players. You are really missing the point of youth NPL if you think winning is the name of the game.
    I think you are over reacting a touch.

Carl, you clearly misunderstand what I am saying.

I am trying to highlight the imbalance. At no time did I say anything about winning being the "name of the game". I am disappointed and saddened by the lop sided results and I coach in that competition.

I agree that overcoming adversity can be character building and educational, but I doubt the educational benefits from winning or losing by 10 or 12 in a game of by 5 or more week after week.

Players will develop better if the competition is close. Going out knowing you are in for a thrashing won't help development. Teams winning by 10 or losing by 10 learn little.

The main point I am trying to make (and I should have written more for clarity) is that the imbalance is hurting development. I am lamenting the fact that 4 clubs dominate and will coax away any kid of ability from a "weaker" club if they can. Watch the end of season merry go round this year as the 4 big clubs pillage their way through the ranks of the weaker ones.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Clown is having a cry because kids cant play up. haha.

There some players that clearly cant handle this level and they let their team down. Can clearly see a few. They love the haircut and club kit but cant deliver and chances are never will. Development is important but so is having the best kids to try and make the comp more competitive for more clubs.

If we cant fill the comp with competitive teams then its time to cut some. Those teams with 3 or 4 top quality kids will combine with others.
    Last edited by finzee; 05-10-2020 at 04:40 PM.

You fool. Suits you now to preach development over results. 10 weeks ago you were crowing all over Facebook and here when Valo u13 were coming first. Calling Olympic v Valo as Grand final preview.

Now that valo are 8th you claim it's all about development over results. Make up your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Forever View Post
    You fool. Suits you now to preach development over results. 10 weeks ago you were crowing all over Facebook and here when Valo u13 were coming first. Calling Olympic v Valo as Grand final preview.

Now that valo are 8th you claim it's all about development over results. Make up your mind.
    They were headed for good things but their coach that was sacked slowly destroyed them. The new coach is trying to undo the damage caused. Winning is great but if that is a person’s sole driver then the point is being missed. Hey, it’s a beautiful day!

The comment I am reacting to is that the other 8 teams who are not in that top 4 are just making up the numbers. That is just not true.

The comment I am reacting to is that the other 8 teams who are not in that top 4 are just making up the numbers. That is just not true.
    Isn't it? Do you believe that the weaker teams are improving? The results would suggest otherwise. Development is what matters most and the results are probably the best indicator of improvement (and I do agree with you about who cares who wins the under 13s). The scores would seem to indicate that there is minimal development in those weaker squads.

I believe a method is needed to even up the teams to maximise development. The imbalance is detrimental to improvement.

Maybe something like only allowing each club to release a maximum number of players each season.

I hope others may have some solutions for discussion.
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Isn't it? Do you believe that the weaker teams are improving? The results would suggest otherwise. Development is what matters most and the results are probably the best indicator of improvement (and I do agree with you about who cares who wins the under 13s). The scores would seem to indicate that there is minimal development in those weaker squads.

I believe a method is needed to even up the teams to maximise development. The imbalance is detrimental to improvement.

Maybe something like only allowing each club to release a maximum number of players each season.

I hope others may have some solutions for discussion.
    We are only talking about under 13s at the moment and it is a very close competition right down to 8th spot. I wouldn’t think any cause for alarm bells about a weak competition unless you look at the teams below that.

Kids should be getting in 110% from 13s on. If you want a nice cushy development drop a grade or 2.

Maybe have promotion and relegation in 2 or 3 youth divisions like they do in Sydney.