Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 19/20 HAL Round 16 | Wellington Phoenix v Newcastle Jets | Fri 24/01/20 1715

Looking forward to seeing the announcement of Hoff getting an extension on his contract for another 15 years after his performance tonight.

Need to start putting Thurgate next to Ugarkovic and Hoff to the bench to be used as a utility with Shep or Kosta used as the second striker instead. Not saying either would be stand out but it's worth trying something new then just letting Hoff **** up chances left right and centre

Small thing but at least the players looked gutted/ashamed when they came over after the game. Kudos to them, they all came over after the game.

Is Dimi trying? Even the commentators called him out for not making runs tonight.

Regardless, hoff’s miss and Millar’s lazy run back playing Davila on-side were the unforgivable moments of the night.

If deans, or whoever replace him can’t figure out that Hoff and Kanta need to be benched then we have no hope going forward.

On a positive note:

The formation worked well for the most part. Boogs & Topor were great at the back and it allowed much more freedom for Burns and Millar in attack who were both very impressive going forward.

Stevie & Arroyo both had great games

Hoff & kanta, Not bad for a pair of blokes recently rewarded with extensions FFS.

Like everyone on here i am still dumbfounded as to how hoff still gets a shot up front. Seriously!! i am a poor footballer yet even i could have put my head over the ball and scored. It makes me angry to have him continually there

Get rid of him, i just don't care anymore. I was happy to give him a chance after the grand final year but now...well now it's just embarrassing

agree on present form Hoff would be better coming off the bench for a few matches to see if he gets the hint, thought we should have brought Gus on earlier, had a nice crack to draw a save which is why he can bring a little spark when we are flat (like we increasing grew as the second half progressed)
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

The lesson should have been well and truly learnt playing Hoff anywhere but as a fullback at the commencement of last season, The fact he continues in the front third says more about our clubs professionalism and ambition at a management level.Hoff plays where he is told and unfortunately for him because our club is a clusterf^&ck they are responsible for any shite he cops.

This season is just a piss take, Just watching the W League side struggle last night was indicative of where this club is at as a whole.

Topor has a big responsibility for the first goal, the way he handled that long ball was shocking.
    Clearances are not a strong part of his game, for sure.

Looking at the stats it's hard to see how we lost the game. The reality is we struggle big time in scoring goals.

Hoff should be in defence, At the start of the season it was fair enough they played him higher up the park as there was so many attackers out. But he had his chance and didn't do much, I agree he is just a defender. So Miller could have been used as a right winger, like at times when he was at the Mariner's. Thurgate should be starting every week, Seniority goes out the window when you are constantly loosing.

The Jets need to bring in another attacker before the end of January. They need to be proactive, really the player should have been there in the first week of January. Because the same guys are getting a game by default.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by anfield View Post
    Looking at the stats it's hard to see how we lost the game. The reality is we struggle big time in scoring goals.

Hoff should be in defence, At the start of the season it was fair enough they played him higher up the park as there was so many attackers out. But he had his chance and didn't do much, I agree he is just a defender. So Miller could have been used as a right winger, like at times when he was at the Mariner's. Thurgate should be starting every week, Seniority goes out the window when you are constantly loosing.

The Jets need to bring in another attacker before the end of January. They need to be proactive, really the player should have been there in the first week of January. Because the same guys are getting a game by default.
    Defensively is a bigger problem

Yesterday we defended pretty well for 98% of the game for a change

We still found 2 ways to shoot ourselves in the foot

Remember when we were shit in the past we at least had goal keepers who were player of the year. Our keepers currently do nothing for us.as they don't keep us in games by making the a save from time to time either

Bigger issue is defence and not attack
    Get that sorted and we might have a chance to exert some pressure on the League Table

Its pretty clear there are some players in this team that no matter who is coaching they will get a start every week regardless of there form. I am not a Kosta Petratos fan by any measure , In actual fact i thought he was a very average footballer at best when he was on the park at Perth Glory but the point is he should have been afforded a starting spot last night on the back of the first teams lack of getting the job done and Kosta's numerous goals in a single game just last week.As a footballer in our squad Kosta had done everything he possibly could to earn a start whilst Hoff had done everything he could possibly do to be benched.

The same could be said 6-8 weeks ago when Moss couldn't catch a cold and was having shockers week after week and Italiano could not even get a look in. Me and plenty others have rode Ridenton's ass pretty hard about him not being good enough to be a starter citing him being pissweak on the ball, can't tackle and can't make a 5 mtr pass to a team mate to save himself BUT BUT just about all those criticisms you could apply to kanta the last few weeks yet somehow i am tipping he will be in the first 11 next week.

There is plenty wrong with this club at the moment from Marty's ( Aldi cheap different ) approach and our Gypo CEO being vague with details to justify knifing Bert but you can also add a few long term players who appear be getting a free pass week to week regardless of the lack of form in there selected positions. There ain't much i guess at this point in time we can do to convince Marty to spend some cash or our Gypo CEO but one thing the club can address before next weekends game is stop fuc&*#g selecting blokes who are not performing and give others from the squad a chance.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Its pretty clear there are some players in this team that no matter who is coaching they will get a start every week regardless of there form. I am not a Kosta Petratos fan by any measure , In actual fact i thought he was a very average footballer at best when he was on the park at Perth Glory but the point is he should have been afforded a starting spot last night on the back of the first teams lack of getting the job done and Kosta's numerous goals in a single game just last week.As a footballer in our squad Kosta had done everything he possibly could to earn a start whilst Hoff had done everything he could possibly do to be benched.

The same could be said 6-8 weeks ago when Moss couldn't catch a cold and was having shockers week after week and Italiano could not even get a look in. Me and plenty others have rode Ridenton's ass pretty hard about him not being good enough to be a starter citing him being pissweak on the ball, can't tackle and can't make a 5 mtr pass to a team mate to save himself BUT BUT just about all those criticisms you could apply to kanta the last few weeks yet somehow i am tipping he will be in the first 11 next week.

There is plenty wrong with this club at the moment from Marty's ( Aldi cheap different ) approach and our Gypo CEO being vague with details to justify knifing Bert but you can also add a few long term players who appear be getting a free pass week to week regardless of the lack of form in there selected positions. There ain't much i guess at this point in time we can do to convince Marty to spend some cash or our Gypo CEO but one thing the club can address before next weekends game is stop fuc&*#g selecting blokes who are not performing and give others from the squad a chance.
    That's all good and well but these games are just pre season trials for our league clashes on February 9th and March 28th

Everything else is irrelevant

Win those 2 and it is a successful season

Surprised we haven’t marketed our defence to overseas clubs wanting to develop a keeper.