Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Carl Robinson Official Thread aka the anti-Brexit party

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Carl Robinson Official Thread aka the anti-Brexit party

Carl's in and brought Kenny Miller with him.
    Please enjoy the full presser (thanks to Jets Supporters FB page)

Personally I think he spoke well, and a 3.5yr deal means he's here for the "long" haul

Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

The " long haul " til Deans called up again.

all this time i thought his name was Carl. Sounds like Lawrie says "Carol" every time he says his name.

This is an interesting read from a Vancouver fan.

https://www.eightysixforever.com/201...-carl-robinson

Some extracts:

Heading into the 2018 season, there was the usual pessimistic optimism among fans. There was rumors that Carl Robinson might change up his formation. That was quickly dismissed after the first few preseason matches. There was hope that the introduction of Kamara finally gave the Whitecaps a striker who’s skill-set matched Carl Robinson’s style (cross and pray). #HeightXI signaled that they would be a force on set-pieces
    While fans have become frustrated with the Whitecaps of late, the counter-argument is that ‘you know what you get with the Whitecaps’. This is very true. Do not expect an attacking club, who is dynamic, and controls the match. Expect a team that bunkers and attempts to exploit mistakes on the counter with long balls and crosses. While this is not an ‘entertaining’ strategy, you cannot argue that it has not been successful.
    What I found was that the Whitecaps were defying most statistics and being the anomaly. Does that mean they were lucky last season? Maybe. However, I am more inclined to believe that Carl Robinson developed a strategy that worked for him and was successful because he played it well. We know that the prettiest and best team does not always win. The Caps relied heavily on crosses and set-pieces last season and were successful in those regards. This off-season, they brought in the ‘kink’ of crossing/header goals in Kamara. Translation, Robinson brought in the pieces that supported his unorthodox style
    It seems Carl Robinson has one way of playing and refuses to deviate from that plan. I commend him for sticking to the plan.
    Carl Robinson has players in his lineup that don’t fit his style, so instead of adjusting to utilize a player’s strengths, it seems Carl would rather stick with what he knows; and it seems the only thing he knows. I am not saying the entire game plan should be switched around, but you have players like Yordy Reyna, Felipe Martins, Alphonso Davies, and Anthony Blondell, who are great playing with the ball at their feet and dribbling past players; however, even with all four of those players in the lineup, we should not expect any deviation from the game plan of lump it forward, cross it in, and hope
    It's one point of view, probably balanced on the side against the manager from a frustrated fan. However, it's good to read and possibly see into our future.
    Last edited by Jeterpool; 10-02-2020 at 07:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    This is an interesting read from a Vancouver fan.

https://www.eightysixforever.com/201...-carl-robinson

Some extracts:

It's one point of view, probably balanced on the side against the manager from a frustrated fan. However, it's good to read and possibly see into our future.
    If its true about one style of play and never changing and not adapting to the players he has then It may end up the way Ernie did, Only time will tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    If its true about one style of play and never changing and not adapting to the players he has then It may end up the way Ernie did, Only time will tell.
    He had more wins than losses in all but one season and a negative goal difference in just two of the seasons he was in charge.
    Not the best record but far from the worst.
    if you have a look at their record since it appears Carl wasn't the problem - it was a lack of money to get quality players.

He managed to be competitive pretty much every season and much like Ernie - was the fall guy it would appear for a board / ownership that had NFI.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    He had more wins than losses in all but one season and a negative goal difference in just two of the seasons he was in charge.
    Not the best record but far from the worst.
    if you have a look at their record since it appears Carl wasn't the problem - it was a lack of money to get quality players.

He managed to be competitive pretty much every season and much like Ernie - was the fall guy it would appear for a board / ownership that had NFI.
    If lack of money was the issue weird that's he's signed with us

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    If lack of money was the issue weird that's he's signed with us
    Not everyone expects to win silverware Stanny. To finish mid table or sneak a top four finish every few years with a budget squad is also an achievement - to some it's a greater achievement than simply buying a premiership / league title.

The only question mark with Robinson is his relationship with a player rep [Baldwin] and what influence this had on the team / players.

His actual coaching credentials show he's very capable.

Not everyone expects to win silverware Stanny. To finish mid table or sneak a top four finish every few years with a budget squad is also an achievement - to some it's a greater achievement than simply buying a premiership / league title.

The only question mark with Robinson is his relationship with a player rep [Baldwin] and what influence this had on the team / players.

Not the point I was making but whatevs
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Which begs the question what is he doing all the way down in the AL, let alone with us.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Which begs the question what is he doing all the way down in the AL, let alone with us.
    If his interview is to be believed, he was pretty much asked this question directly.

• He likes a project and/or likes a challenge
    • He wants to expose himself to a variety of different coaching / league environments to gain experience, because
    • He wants to end up in EPL coaching at some point and wants a nice broad resume to achieve that, to show he can be successful across multiple clubs and countries
    • He said he felt comfortable after chatting with Lawrie that he would be able to have open and honest dialogue with club management, which he felt especially important in a salary capped league

that's all well and good, but what some of us want to see is him take the scythe out and start culling the chaff from the team, that's the first real challenge he's gonna face, be interesting to see how he handles it; be also interesting to see who he'll bring in, he's got two imports on loan it's doubtful he will have the choice to retain, so recruitment including some half decent visa spots will be very interesting to watch (hopefully we get something better than that donkey Ibini in the line-up next season, if we do end up with him I am going to start setting my expectations to low again )
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Quote Originally Posted by turbojetfireV8 View Post
    that's all well and good, but what some of us want to see is him take the scythe out and start culling the chaff from the team, that's the first real challenge he's gonna face, be interesting to see how he handles it; be also interesting to see who he'll bring in, he's got two imports on loan it's doubtful he will have the choice to retain, so recruitment including some half decent visa spots will be very interesting to watch (hopefully we get something better than that donkey Ibini in the line-up next season, if we do end up with him I am going to start setting my expectations to low again )
    The problem here is that six of the players on our books are represented by his agent of choice. So there's absolutely no way any of them will be getting axed unless they are found better deals elsewhere.

This is the list of untouchables:

Dimi Petratos
    Kaine Shepherd
    Kosta Petratos
    Patrick Langlois
    Makis Petratos;
    Nick Fitzgerald

Unless they get better offers they won't be going anywhere.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 12-02-2020 at 07:54 AM.

The problem here is that six of the players on our books are represented by his agent of choice. So there's absolutely no way any of them will be getting axed unless they are found better deals elsewhere.

Dimi Petratos
    Kaine Shepherd
    Kosta Petratos
    Patrick Langlois
    Makis Petratos;
    Nick Fitzgerald

Add to that the release clauses put on all of these players as part of the agreement when signing on with the Jets. Have heard all new contracts have release clauses of $400k(?)+ which would make it difficult for some to move on unless "mutual"

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    Add to that the release clauses put on all of these players as part of the agreement when signing on with the Jets. Have heard all new contracts have release clauses of $400k(?)+ which would make it difficult for some to move on unless "mutual"
    Dimi I can understand having a $400k release clause but you'd have to be taking the piss to put one on the rest of them.

Of the six I listed above I'd keep Dimi and move the rest on if it was possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    No more difficult than not having a release clause at all. My understanding is that a release clause basically just means that if that offer is met, then the club have no say in whether the player goes or not. The club can still sell for less than that (or release) if they choose to.

Banned

Dimi Petratos
    Kaine Shepherd
    Kosta Petratos
    Patrick Langlois
    Makis Petratos;
    Nick Fitzgerald

We can hold no one. If anyone rises above the crop we will lose them every time. Transition club not a destination

I get this feeling robbo wants to bring in a midfielder, especially given Kanta's injury and lack of from. Joe Ledley is a free agent and his agent is the avid group.
    I thought thurgate and ugar worked very well against the scum but the scum were shite.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjet View Post
    I get this feeling robbo wants to bring in a midfielder, especially given Kanta's injury and lack of from. Joe Ledley is a free agent and his agent is the avid group.
    I thought thurgate and ugar worked very well against the scum but the scum were shite.
    Ledley would kill the A-League. I wouldn't be unhappy if we signed him.

If he could stay sound