Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: HAL 19/20 Rd21 - Newcastle Jets vs Perth Glory - Sat 29/2/20 k/off 5pm AEDST

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The passing down our right side in the first half was woeful. I was on the opposite side of the field, so I'm not sure who exactly it was - I'm thinking majority of the turnovers were Millar, but maybe Johnny had some turnovers there too.

I think overall he's been pretty solid for us in the back 3, and has had a couple of standout games.
    The first half we had problems getting through Perths pressing

They let us have the ball and left Burns and Gypo Miller free
    Problem was they were massively isolated so had nowhere to go when they got it

The solution to this is to dribble forward , play into feet and turn or 1-2s etc
    Problem is we kept doing the wrong thing which was to play into traffic

Perth were all over this tactic and were stepping in and intercepting balls

Dimi was the chief cause as on several occasions he waited for the ball instead of moving to it and not letting his opponent past him

2nd half Perth tired and we made our way through the lines much better by 1-2s dribbling past people etc

A lot of the cheap ball on the right we coughed up was down to our players not protecting front position and being first to the ball etc

If anything Arroyo Roy and Dimi needed to be much better at keeping the ball than they were. They just didn't get hold of and retain enough ball for us

Burns was marked out of the 1st half

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Burns was marked out of the 1st half
    Marked out??

Perth were happy to let Burns or Gypo Miller have it

They considered them the weakest options to have the ball

Says plenty

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Marked out??

Perth were happy to let Burns or Gypo Miller have it

They considered them the weakest options to have the ball

Says plenty
    Burns got closed down super quick everytime he got the ball. They let Millar and Johnny have it

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    The first half we had problems getting through Perths pressing

They let us have the ball and left Burns and Gypo Miller free
    Problem was they were massively isolated so had nowhere to go when they got it

The solution to this is to dribble forward , play into feet and turn or 1-2s etc
    Problem is we kept doing the wrong thing which was to play into traffic

Perth were all over this tactic and were stepping in and intercepting balls

Dimi was the chief cause as on several occasions he waited for the ball instead of moving to it and not letting his opponent past him

2nd half Perth tired and we made our way through the lines much better by 1-2s dribbling past people etc

A lot of the cheap ball on the right we coughed up was down to our players not protecting front position and being first to the ball etc

If anything Arroyo Roy and Dimi needed to be much better at keeping the ball than they were. They just didn't get hold of and retain enough ball for us
    I'll grant you there were a lot of balls that were played into forwards feet and got intercepted. Some of those are probably the fault of the forwards, some the passer's and some both.

However, there were also a lot of poor passes down that side that just went straight to opposition players as well. I think Millar was the chief culprit there.
    I don't mean to rag on the guy, but he has to realise what his strengths and weaknesses are. He is not a playmaker and not good at picking passes. If we're building possession and it comes to him while stationary, he needs to just find a simple pass if nothing's on (most likely backwards) after drawing the defender and keep it ticking over. Because too often when he tries to find a penetrating pass inside or create something it comes undone and leaves us exposed.

On the bright side, I thought he was a bit better (still not good) in the second half and had a few good crosses and supporting runs for Wes - who was probably my motm despite only playing half an hour.

Burns had more time and space on the ball than most others in the first half. He wasn't "marked out of the game". Perth were just pressing aggressively.

I thought their defenders were allowed by the ref to bully us out of the game in the first half. It wasn't until the second when a few yellows finally came out. There was a shirt pull on Dimi in the first half while breaking that went unpunished too, while Gus got one five minutes later for the same thing.
    Last edited by Macca; 03-03-2020 at 07:18 AM.

Millar is a bench player - someone you bring on to run at or past tired defenders. He should not be starting.
    His passing and lack of defensive awareness are too far below par to even suggest he needs to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Millar is a bench player - someone you bring on to run at or past tired defenders. He should not be starting.
    His passing and lack of defensive awareness are too far below par to even suggest he needs to improve.
    Based on his performance last game I'd start Hoff as RB