Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HAL 19/20 - The Finals

VAR call was right imo. Thought it was pretty obvious. They probably should of been awarded a penalty as well, but that doesn't fit the $ydney are cheats narrative.

Fark me, Rhyan Grant is a player. Would love to see him at a higher level. Limited in skill but his decision making, engine & movement is quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetkel View Post
    VAR call was right imo. Thought it was pretty obvious. They probably should of been awarded a penalty as well, but that doesn't fit the $ydney are cheats narrative.

Fark me, Rhyan Grant is a player. Would love to see him at a higher level. Limited in skill but his decision making, engine & movement is quality.
    Would get suspended alot. Aleague Ref's ignore alot of his tackles

Would love to see him at a higher level. Limited in skill
    pretty sure the latter is a fairly significant hindrance to achieving the former.

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    pretty sure the latter is a fairly significant hindrance to achieving the former.
    Sure, if you’re a no.10. He’s a right full back ffs, I reckon tackling, positioning, fitness, decision making are all more crucial than doing a couple of Dimi step overs, but each to their own.

Last Jets/Smurf game at home last season. Champness made a fool out of Grant, nearly got him sent off through frustration and set the template.
    Was ignored as it was season end.

Sure, if you’re a no.10. He’s a right full back ffs, I reckon tackling, positioning, fitness, decision making are all more crucial than doing a couple of Dimi step overs, but each to their own.
    I know personally many people who have trialled in Europe with the attributes you are applauding here, and the end result was they were not signed because they offered no point of difference to the conveyor belt of locally produced players with the same set of skills. I'm sure there will be a club that will gamble a foreign spot on Grant, but I can't see it being a long term move for him personally.

His best bet by far will be Asia, to fit in the +1 visa player rule and where those kind of attributes seem more desirable. I don't see him having much of a decent crack in Europe. Regardless, the safety net known as the A-League will be here for him when it doesn't work out.
    OK

He’s reaffirmed how great it would be to remain a one club player and owes it to SFC to repay them for standing by him during 2 knee recons-what’s that? $$$$$$$ in Asia.....bye.

I think he’s probably one of the best fullbacks in the a league. Largely due to his fitness imo. His skill is nothing special. It’s his fitness that allows him to get into positions most players are too lazy to. Fitness in the a league is like signing a team of 90+ pace on FIFA 10 when you could just sprint past players. It makes up for a lot of short comings. These shortcomings soon get found out in overseas leagues when his fitness is the same as everyone else.

I’ve watched games where he whips in a cross like a Hoole corner, right in the sweet spot. That’s one time in 100. The rest fail to clear first defender or end up shanked in row z.

If he played for us, and got a haircut, I’d be very pleased with his commitment to the team. You want somebody like that in your team to provide a a benchmark for effort.

At 29, his move overseas for development/challenge/“to make it” reasons are out the window. He will be leaving for a payday. Unless it’s a good offer, he’s better off just staying at Shitney and I expect he’s recording an inspiring fox sports promo for the new season as we speak.
    Last edited by Bremsstrahlung; 01-09-2020 at 07:22 AM.

thats the thing though, world football is moving away from traditional #10's. Left and right backs now are more skilled and important that ever.This guy is nowhere near good enough.but yeah, when the commentators need an angle to indulge the customers in, they'll try and sell you anything.

Quote Originally Posted by sapdad View Post
    thats the thing though, world football is moving away from traditional #10's. Left and right backs now are more skilled and important that ever.This guy is nowhere near good enough.but yeah, when the commentators need an angle to indulge the customers in, they'll try and sell you anything.
    Nowhere near good enough for who?

Using the championship as an example. I've been a supporter all my life of an absolute powerhouse side... who can't seem to go above 10th in the championship. He'd be a better option than our current right fullback or the 3 or 4 that went before him. Bailey Wright, James Meredith have all had successful careers in the championship at fullback, Grant is superior to both imo.

His age works against him, but to say he's nowhere near good enough is just bullshit. Seems a bit like an inferiority complex because he's an Australian in the A League.

Bailey Wright, James Meredith have all had successful careers in the championship at fullback, Grant is superior to both imo.
    ive got to go pick my kids up from school so forgive me for not looking up Bailey Wright yet but from what i can see James Meredith played 82 out of his near 450 games in the Championship (for a mid table club). Then he got his contract terminated.im not sure what your definition of success is.
    and i think James Meredith is better than Grant, by a lot.