Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast

Thread: 2021 National Premier League thread

Quote Originally Posted by riverboy View Post
    This might be a question for the Jets forum, but to the NPL followers. Given that the Mariners played a young guy on the weekend that previously played with Valentine in Jacob Farrell.

The question is given that, surely spots 20 to 22 in the Jets squad could be filled by guys in the NPL or guys that have come out of the Jets youth squad. Is that a fair comment?, Given those guys probably would have to work really hard to make the game day squad of 16 and we are probably talking about a 4th choice centre back, 6 or 7th central midfielder so they aren't really vital for the Jets.

Looking at players,
    Jose Atayde, from Broadmeadow magic. Looks quality apparently he is looking overseas for trials?

James Virgili, it's fair to say he didn't deliver previously for the Jets. But surely he is a better player now and if he was asked to go back a level and dominate then he certainly has done that. Would be interesting to see if he could step up.

As for Defenders, Obviously Josh Evans has been the best defender in the league for some time. But who is next? Marcus Duncan previously played with the Jets youth squad, is he up to a step up?

Ben hay was a previous player for the Jets youth squad, again looks dominant in the NPL. He can play a couple of positions? Left back, centre midfield?

As for the youth squad, There isn't much noise around about them since they now play in Sydney.
    Adam Zervas appears a handy player.
    Will Ingram, Matthew Buettner and Patrick Bond certainly look like they play in the majority of games not sure where they play but possibly could step up?

Whatever happened to previous Jets youth players Kieran Hayes and Tom Beecham? Looked like key players in the youth squad 2 years ago and don't appear to be playing in the NPL?

Again Im not saying these sort of players should be starting A league games but surely as locals a squad position is better filled by locals in my opinion.
    I don't think your proposal makes much sense.

They already have 4 players that are products of the Jets Youth system...........??

Why would a player in their late 20s that hasn't made it previously as a professional player want to be a squad player, getting minimum wage and never getting game time? Surely they'd rather play in NPL every week for match payments while building a career outside of football for more money they would make as a squad player? Most players mentioned have already had a crack at playing in the A-League and not cemented a spot or had careers and are now winding down.......

Quote Originally Posted by ExWhistleMan View Post
    I don't think your proposal makes much sense.

They already have 4 players that are products of the Jets Youth system...........??

Why would a player in their late 20s that hasn't made it previously as a professional player want to be a squad player, getting minimum wage and never getting game time? Surely they'd rather play in NPL every week for match payments while building a career outside of football for more money they would make as a squad player? Most players mentioned have already had a crack at playing in the A-League and not cemented a spot or had careers and are now winding down.......
    Some valid points, But those 4 aren't part of the 22 in the main squad. They are on scholarship contracts. I'm talking about the backend of the 22 player main squad.

Kevin De Bruyne and Mo Salah never cracked Chelsea. They took a step back and are much better players now then in their early 20's. So I don't see why players shouldn't be pensioned off so early, If they struggle for game then they can always get games as an overage player in the National Youth league.

Some valid points, But those 4 aren't part of the 22 in the main squad. They are on scholarship contracts. I'm talking about the backend of the 22 player main squad.

Kevin De Bruyne and Mo Salah never cracked Chelsea. They took a step back and are much better players now then in their early 20's. So I don't see why players shouldn't be pensioned off so early, If they struggle for game then they can always get games as an overage player in the National Youth league.
    Thurgate is. But even so, some of the names mentioned....(not so much by you)

Virgili, Regan, Brockie, Hay. May as well add Boogard in if your including those names

I think Virgili is the same player now as he was when he played for the Jets. He's just playing against far weaker opposition in the NPL than he was in the A-league.
    Look at his Jets NPL form and it's pretty much the same as he's currently doing. 7 NPL goals in 10 matches for the Jets Youth. 74 NPL goals for Magic in 108 games.
    55 A-League appearances and Zero goals.
    He's a great NPL player. That's a very worthwhile achievement in itself - he doesn't need the A-league and the A-league doesn't need him.

I dont agree with this, players mature differently, he probably wasn't ready for the a league as it was thrust upon him at an early age.
    He's less injury prone and physically more developed now than when he came on the scene.

The bigger question is whether he (or the other players mentioned) would even want to play for the jets? From what I understand Virgili now has a successful, well paying career outside of football whilst still earning some $$ on the side as a part time player.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Interesting topic.
    I guess the A League is still a growing league. The minimum wage is around $65,000 which is good for younger players. But really the aim has to be to get that up to around $75,000- $80,000. By doing this it might attract players from 24-30 to possibly continue the aim of being a professional footballer. By doing this it will only help the standard of the game.

As for the NPL, from what I have seen the standard around the country has really gone forward in the last 2-3 years. For example a few weeks ago an QLD NPL All stars team beat a nearly full strength Brisbane Roar in a proper trial game.

I have watched highlights of a few teams in the NPL. Queensland Lions are a team worth watching, they play a really good brand of football and have some really exciting players such as
    Max Mikkola who could easily play A League.

The Victorian NPL also produces some fantastic players, many that have come through the City and Victory academies.

I keep an eye on former jets players. Allan Welsh was a former player that played 16 games as a defender in the 2014-15 season. Now at 27 he is playing for the Adelaide Comets in the SA NPL as a midfielder. He has been the dominant player in this competition for the last 4 years or so, surely he is much better placed to be a success at A league level now.

As for the locals, surely James Virgili would be much better placed at playing A League football. His confidence in his game would be at an all time high and has done the business at NPL level.

Jose Atayde and Zac Thomas are two players that look like they could be part of an A League squad.

I don't agree with the theory that if you don't make it early then your time has passed. There are heaps of examples of this in sport such as Cody Walker in the NRL who didn't debut until around 26.

I would love to see a player from the local NPL get an opportunity, but I'm not sure this will happen. At least Papas indicated yesterday that he is only looking at players that want to play for Newcastle and not ones using it as a stepping stone for other A League clubs. I think that's fantastic and should make the supporters believe that he is committed to the club.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by anfield View Post
    Allan Welsh was a former player that played 16 games as a defender in the 2014-15 season. Now at 27 he is playing for the Adelaide Comets in the SA NPL as a midfielder. He has been the dominant player in this competition for the last 4 years or so, surely he is much better placed to be a success at A league level now.
    And now he is just about at the level it's almost too late.

Heard Adamstown beat Azzurri 1 - 0 on Monday night

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Heard Adamstown beat Azzurri 1 - 0 on Monday night
    did Buds recruit anyone?

Whatever happened to previous Jets youth players Kieran Hayes and Tom Beecham? Looked like key players in the youth squad 2 years ago and don't appear to be playing in the NPL?
    Hayes is playing College "Soccer" in the USA currently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WRK6SXc6xs
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Hayes is playing College "Soccer" in the USA currently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WRK6SXc6xs
    Tom Beecham also playing college football in the US. Playing in the top league apparently.
    https://cbulancers.com/news/2021/6/2...lishments.aspx

Banned
    Jaffas v Maitland 2021 gf

Or make it the 2021 premiership decider

Jaffa’s are the premier club for 2021, move on

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    Jaffa’s are the premier club for 2021, move on
    Correct. But putting some interest into the new season isnt a crime.

GF Round 1

Trial game tonight Maitland 2 Edgeworth 0.

[QUOTE=2285;254035]Trial game tonight Maitland 2 Edgeworth 0.[/QUOTE

Maitland will be team to beat in 2022, followed by Jaffas

[QUOTE=W8 WATCHER;254042]
    Quote Originally Posted by 2285 View Post
    Trial game tonight Maitland 2 Edgeworth 0.[/QUOTE

Maitland will be team to beat in 2022, followed by Jaffas
    Jaffas to win it by a margin

Covid to win the comp for a back to back title