Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Zone Premier League thread

Quote Originally Posted by gtg View Post
    What's happening over there at the Suns? All the superstar big name players and they can't score goals! Never mind the fact they concede two or three goals a game. Extremely disappointing when you consider the calibre of player they have in their squad with a lot of NPL experience. Hope they're not paying these blokes...
    Things haven't quite clicked yet. Have had 2 or more of the starting back 4 missing in the opening three rounds. This is a good start for us compared to previous seasons. Certainly nothing we aren't used to and these poor performances won't be remembered come the end of the season, nor will the clinical performances in May.
    Not sure how clearly I can say this, but I'll give it a solid crack.... Newcastle Suns Football Club have never paid a single player, ever.

This season is shaping up to be a cracker, there's definitely not going to be any easy games. Competition across all grades seems really strong. Was impressed with Warners Bay in all grades considering they weren't apart of the Covid Cup last year.
    It's football, not s***er!!

Quote Originally Posted by riverboy View Post
    A mate of mine has watched 2 of the Dudley games, he told me they are a class above any in this league. He said the crowd feel is unmatched bar a few NPL clubs.

Is it time NNSW football scrap northern league one age restriction lower grades and reinstate Dudley to the league?
    Better then the half arsed competition they currently have
    The Dudley boys can't even win ZPL man, there has always been someone that little bit better.

Dudley red card fairly justified if you ask me, downwards lunging motion onto the knee. The common misconception of "but he played/won the ball" is actually a myth and 99% of referees not named Scurge will agree.

Seemed to lift them and they scored straight after giving away the red as well. Lots of cards handed out during that game but all lads shook hands after game. Dudley will be a hard place to take points in any grade there
    Jaliens gives me the horn

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    Dudley red card fairly justified if you ask me, downwards lunging motion onto the knee. The common misconception of "but he played/won the ball" is actually a myth and 99% of referees not named Scurge will agree.

Seemed to lift them and they scored straight after giving away the red as well. Lots of cards handed out during that game but all lads shook hands after game. Dudley will be a hard place to take points in any grade there
    Agreed. He won the ball but got the man afterward (how hard I’m not sure) but to his credit he didn’t argue the point. He took his punishment and left the field without a complaint. That’s a fair indicator the ref got it right.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hacker View Post
    THEBIGCHEESE hitting the nail on the head with the summary of the round. But on 9 word on the coach walking out on the club. Tell us more
    Word is, players questioned why the coach he was changing tactics, formations and players every week and during games (tactics and formations). He cracked it, threw the players under the bus by telling them a few home truths and here we are no coach for Kotara.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBIGCHEESE View Post
    Word is, players questioned why the coach he was changing tactics, formations and players every week and during games (tactics and formations). He cracked it, threw the players under the bus by telling them a few home truths and here we are no coach for Kotara.
    They have had a decent little cup run and played Swansea, Dudley and Mayfield to start the year so if they parted ways all of a sudden Kotara v Bero becomes a relegation battle

ZPL Tipping after Round 3

1st - The Hacker = 13 points
    2nd - Cognitio = 12 points
    3rd - Jim = 11 points
    4th - Bleachers = 10 points
    4th - Hornigold = 10 points
    4th - Haircut = 10 points
    7th - Cabaye#4 = 9 points
    8th - THEBIGCHEESE = 8 points
    9th - gtg = 7 points

*gtg given the lowest score for not tipping.

Jim getting a bonus point for picking the Swansea 3-2 win as well as Bleachers and myself for picking Mayfield to win 2-0.
    Last edited by Cognitio; 03-05-2021 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MisplacedPasses View Post
    The Dudley boys can't even win ZPL man, there has always been someone that little bit better.
    Maybe so but they are always in the top 4. All I am saying is how about NNSW football promote this year's winners and move one or two teams back.
    Surely a Dudley, Mayfield or a Newcastle suns could do better then a Toronto? Fair call I reckon, promotion/relegation.

Maybe so but they are always in the top 4. All I am saying is how about NNSW football promote this year's winners and move one or two teams back.
    Surely a Dudley, Mayfield or a Newcastle suns could do better then a Toronto? Fair call I reckon, promotion/relegation.
    I don’t doubt that some of the clubs in ZPL could more than compete in second division. But I think what attracts a lot of players to ZPL is the slightly more relaxed nature to our competition. A lot of the boys that come down from NPL, etc can no longer commit to training twice a week on a regular basis.
    ZPL is a fantastic comp that seems to get stronger year on year and I that’s the beauty of it. Very competitive comp and allows for a lot more long term clubman which you don’t get to see in the top two divisions.

You're also not factoring in that most ZPL teams don't want to go up as you leave zone football and then become a Northern NSW club, and that comes with a whole new set of requirements. Grounds need to meet criteria, things become 5x more expensive, you need to have more teams, you need more volunteers, you're then competition against teams paying coaches & players 1000s a season etc etc. It's completely different and most of the major ZPL teams are in their zone (excuse the pun) by being competitive at this level without the federation breathing down their neck, or having their volunteers having to do twice the work etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabaye#4 View Post
    You're also not factoring in that most ZPL teams don't want to go up as you leave zone football and then become a Northern NSW club, and that comes with a whole new set of requirements. Grounds need to meet criteria, things become 5x more expensive, you need to have more teams, you need more volunteers, you're then competition against teams paying coaches & players 1000s a season etc etc. It's completely different and most of the major ZPL teams are in their zone (excuse the pun) by being competitive at this level without the federation breathing down their neck, or having their volunteers having to do twice the work etc.
    This 100%
    There is a misconception about NewFM League being more about competition than it really is. The bigger focus is player catchment. There are clear reasons why Toronto Awaba, Cessnock And Singleton have gone through various droughts in performance but never been relegated for better performing.

We (cooks) played Wallsend's Northern League side in preseason and dusted them 3-0, yet we're hardly world beaters in this comp. People should focus on improving ZPL rather than hoping to be plucked and put in a less competitive comp.

Gone are the days where moving into northern league one is on the agenda for teams. Time to start making the ZPL comp a bigger deal then it already is. Get the clubs to band together and take on the the big leagues. Start getting a ZPL page up on Facebook run a team of the week. ( which is easy you don’t need to watch games just pick who ever scores the most or keeps a clean sheet regardless of minutes played or if it was a deflection, and even pick players out of position too). And show them how to run a proper promotion/relegation competition.. Even run your own midweek cup comps more football the better..

On the topic of promotion to the dreaded NewFM league, pretty sure most at our club (Dudley) know we would be competitive in the NewFM competition but it would probably never happen. Besides the obvious financial and commitment requirements, it would be a cultural change at the club having to get rid of a lot of older guys who add to the atmosphere at training and the pub of course.

What would be great would be a Zone League Cup. Only Zone League clubs, straight knockout. It would be an exciting tournament.

My tips for this weekend:
    Cardiff 1-3 Suns
    Azzurri 1-1 Mayfield
    Beresfield 0-3 Dudley
    Warners Bay 3-1 Swansea
    Cooks Hill 2-2 Kotara

Bonus tip: half the games get washed out.

Quote Originally Posted by gtg View Post
    What would be great would be a Zone League Cup. Only Zone League clubs, straight knockout. It would be an exciting tournament.
    Hunter Valley Football are running a knock out comp for all their Inter-district clubs this season. Idea got floated after the AGM and most clubs were keen.

So you'll have your 7-8 zone league teams and then any clubs all age team that wants to enter. So will be a mix of higher all age sides and zone leagues. No newfm or npl.

Only stipulation was 1 team per club.

Do the other associations do anything similar?

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    Gone are the days where moving into northern league one is on the agenda for teams. Time to start making the ZPL comp a bigger deal then it already is. Get the clubs to band together and take on the the big leagues. Start getting a ZPL page up on Facebook run a team of the week. ( which is easy you don’t need to watch games just pick who ever scores the most or keeps a clean sheet regardless of minutes played or if it was a deflection, and even pick players out of position too). And show them how to run a proper promotion/relegation competition.. Even run your own midweek cup comps more football the better..
    Zone Football needs a (non-felon) Newysports

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    I don’t doubt that some of the clubs in ZPL could more than compete in second division. But I think what attracts a lot of players to ZPL is the slightly more relaxed nature to our competition. A lot of the boys that come down from NPL, etc can no longer commit to training twice a week on a regular basis.
    ZPL is a fantastic comp that seems to get stronger year on year and I that’s the beauty of it. Very competitive comp and allows for a lot more long term clubman which you don’t get to see in the top two divisions.
    There should be only two divisions, NPL and a second tier made up of best current clubs from HIT and ZPL.

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    This I like and agree with. Make the presence of league bigger than it is. We have all played trials against NEWFM teams or ffa cup games and ZPL wins more time than not. Highlight the league and make it more appealing if players are picking between wether they play Newfm or ZPL. It has the fiercest rival in town with Dudley v Suns. That should be on BarTV

It has the fiercest rival in town with Dudley v Suns. That should be on BarTV
    FYI..
    Suns v Dudley in round 7 will be at Myer Park, Broadmeadow with games pushed pack two hours so that first grade will kick off at 5pm for a twilight fixture. Saturday 29th May.

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    FYI..
    Suns v Dudley in round 7 will be at Myer Park, Broadmeadow with games pushed pack two hours so that first grade will kick off at 5pm for a twilight fixture. Saturday 29th May.
    I dare say that time slot will ensure a healthy crowd

make it more appealing if players are picking between wether they play Newfm or ZPL.
    $$$$$$$$$

Also, bartv will cover games if you pay them.

As above, it's about money though.