Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Zone Premier League thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    That was a good read. Definitely got me a bit more excited for season!

Dudley knocked off Swansea in the FFA cup tonight. Suns take on Cardiff this weekend also. Good to see how the early season form is looking.
    Any scores lofty?

Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post
    Any scores lofty?
    2-1. Dudley missed a penalty. Both teams knocked the ball well. Could of been 5-2 Dudley with Swansea’s keeper making 3 top shelf saves to keep them in it and Dudleys keeper making a 1 on 1 to keep it 2-1. Enjoyable night of football and good to see Dudley back.

Any predictions on the % of games this season that will be washed out? Not looking good and it's only March! On another note, went and watch the mighty Thistles in the cup. We played really well and deserved more goals but gee that Swansea keeper is a top class player. Best of luck for the season, come on you Thistles!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    I’m a flog on the hill at Dudley, make sure you come say hello, we like your type 👊
    Lol

Anyone else going to post their predictions for the season? Would love to see someone else share their thoughts (at your own peril lol)! Players in and out?

Dudley
    I hear only good things about their quality across all three grades. Pre-season results are backing this up. Playing on the surface at Lydon will be the highlight on everyone’s calendar. Coping abuse from the crowd will be the lowlight.

Azzurri
    They’ve picked up quality players in the positions they’ve always struggled with. New crack striker, big direct stopper and a couples others. They never had a problem scoring goals, they should get more, and perhaps stop some too. Goals galore every game.

Suns
    Age shouldn’t diminish their best players’ assets (which is not pace and fitness lol), and they’ve got some upgrades, especially at keeper. Awesome shotstopper. They’ll continue to be a bit like Liverpool; beat the good teams and lose to the bad ones.

Cardiff
    Will be competitive, but a full season will take its toll. If your gameplan is based on physicality, playing lots of games doesn’t bode well for durability. Understanding tactics and creating an option B or C when needed could also be their undoing.

Mayfield
    You don’t need pace and quickness when the ball spends most of the time in the air. The long game will create headaches for some teams. They also get stuck-in physically themselves. I see the opposite of the Suns; they’ll pick-up points against the top sides and drop them against the bottom rung.

Swansea
    Say what you want about the amount they paid Spud, but he really brought a lot to the Swans other than his individual playing quality. The way he directed the young boys around the park was a tribute to the bloke. I think they will miss him much more than what he individually gave them on the field.

Kotara
    I’ve yet to see them play and their results have been quite perplexing. Either they’re better than 2019 or worse – I’ve also heard both storylines. I’m airing on the side they’re weaker than 2019, as finding a whole new team that could challenge for finals would be a monumental task.

Cooks Hill
    They belong in ZPL, but across the board it lacks the quality to compete at the top of the table across all of the grades. The club does a phenomenal job to put out as many senior teams as it does; maybe they could coax some of their really good AA players to make the jump to Zone?

Beresfield
    Some teams will fold-up like a deck chair at Pasadena with the heckling, tight pitch and physicality of the Bero boys. The not so tactically astute ones will drop points here, allowing Bero to limp through the season and avoid the spoon.

Warners Bay
    2021 ZPL will be a big upgrade from 2019. I’ve only heard that across the three grades they’ve come back without as much quality. I haven’t seen any pre-season results… either they’ve been continually washed out, or have they been too poor to share? It will be a long year. But wow, that surface at John St. Oval will allow the prettier teams to play some quality football.

2021 ZPL Minor Premiership Predictions

1st. Cardiff
    - 1st in 2020
    - By all accounts have retained their premiership winning squad.
    - Established team which played the best football in 2020.
    - Will have confidence and expectation to go and win every game possible.

2nd. Dudley
    - 2nd in 2019 (equal 1st)
    - FFA cup win over Swansea gives them an edge.
    - Always recruit quality and experienced players.
    - Home ground quality surface and crowd gives them advantage over other teams.

3rd. Swansea
    - 2nd in 2020
    - Established 1st grade team with experienced players.
    - The loss of Josh McGuire will impact results and playing standards.
    - Quality squad depth. Reserve grade was the best team of the 2020 season (1st).

4th. Suns
    - 4th in 2020
    - Strengthened in key positions
    - Historical long winning streaks throughout a season will get them into 4th.
    - Will just not have the structure and discipline to beat the top 2-3 teams.

5th. Azzuri
    - 3rd in 2020
    - Second year and with stronger opposition will affect results.
    - 3rd place in 2020 was a great result. Consolidation will allow them to consistently beat the bottom 5 teams.

6th. Mayfield
    - 6th in 2020
    - A club rebuilding, inconsistent results will see them finish mid table.
    - Experienced players and efficient play will enable them to beat the bottom teams.

7th. Cooks Hill
    - 5th in 2020
    - Second year syndrome will take the intensity away from their game.
    - Will just not beat many of the top 5 teams.

8th. Kotara
    - 4th in 2019
    - The loss of key players takes away a lot of goals and wins.
    - Rebuilding an entire club after a year off will affect 1st grades depth and quality.

9th. Warners Bay
    Missing the 2020 season will be hard to come back from.
    - Will not have the squad depth to cover injuries, suspensions, absences.
    - With approx. 12 points being traditionally enough to not finish last (relegation safety), W. Bay should be able to pick up 3 wins and 3 draws this season against lower teams.

10th. Beresfield
    - 7th in 2020. Last place.
    - Unlike Jesmond, Barnsley and Terrace in the past, the 2020 promotion squads are too good to go down in their second season.
    - Just don’t have the quality in any areas of the pitch.
    - Only 1 win in 2020. I can’t see them getting to the historical 12 points for safety.
    Last edited by Cognitio; 24-03-2021 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cognitio View Post
    12 points for safety.
    so how does promotion/relegation work?
    i'm assuming that if you get less than 12 points you are relegated and the winners of the league below is promoted? premiers or grand final winners?
    is there more factors that go into it?
    why don't they just make it automatic relegation like euro leagues?
    Last edited by rod; 24-03-2021 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rod View Post
    so how does promotion/relegation work?
    i'm assuming that if you get less than 12 points you are relegated and the winners of the league below is promoted? premiers or grand final winners?
    is there more factors that go into it?
    why don't they just make it automatic relegation like euro leagues?
    i think he means if you don't reach 12points you will go.
    It is automatic relegation (last) and promotion(premier) in the Zone Leagues except ZPL where the premiers stay put and have for years, but losers drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post
    i think he means if you don't reach 12points you will go.
    It is automatic relegation (last) and promotion(premier) in the Zone Leagues except ZPL where the premiers stay put and have for years, but losers drop.
    is it based on all 3 grades or just first grade?

Quote Originally Posted by rod View Post
    is it based on all 3 grades or just first grade?
    1st grade only.

FFA Cup tonight;
    Cardiff 1 - 5 the other team
    It's football, not s***er!!

Now that we have seen some trials and FFA cup results here’s my predictions.

Suns
    They appear in better form at this time of year than ever before. A 5-1 defeat of last years ‘Premiers’ suggest they are in for a big year.

Dudley
    Looks like they have landed some quality this year. They just need to get over the semi final hurdle. Time will tell if the year off will help or hinder them. A Dudley v Suns GF what a promoters dream and security nightmare.

Swansea
    They lose McGuire but keep Bevan. Their Reggies were good last year so they might be able to cover the lose. If so they will be there abouts.

Cardiff
    This club is like a yo-yo over the years. They are really good one year and battle relegation the next. I don’t see them dropping of the cliff but with a full comp and teams strengthening they will battle between 3-6th

Azzurri
    The lads came up all guns blazing and all hot air having dominating the lower divisions. The step up caught them out. They will score goals, my worry is can they stop them. After Monday nights result the wordy has only grown.

Cooks Hill
    They held their own against Dudley in a trial and will beat the teams below them but may struggle to be the teams above them. If teams aren’t on their game Cookers will knock you over.

Mayfield
    It will be a long year for the green Tigers. While other teams have strengthened these boys have stood still and it will show this year. If they play the long ball all year again they will be in for a relegation battle

Kotara
    Tough one hear. They beat Azzurri in FFA cup but after a year off and a young squad I think Kotara will be up and down. They have a new coach and it will take time for them to get consistent. Will finish 5-8th

Warner’s Bay
    I hope they stay up because their ground looks mint. The 2 games against Bero will be like GF’s

Bero
    Were shocking last year and the comp has just gotten stronger. If they start getting beat easily I hope you pack the big shin pads

Opening Round Predictions
    Swansea 2 Kotara 0
    Warners Bay 1 Azzurri 4
    Mayfield 2 Cooks Hill 3
    Suns 4 Beresfield 1
    Match of the Round
    Dudley 2 Cardiff 1

Round 1 Stats and Predictions

Swansea vs. Kotara
    - Swansea have won their last 4 opening day matches, suffering their last round 1 loss to the hands of Bero in 2016.
    - Since their promotion in 2017, Kotara have won all three of their opening day matches while in ZPL. (3-1, 3-1, 4-1).
    - The last time these teams met was in the 2019 ZPL Grand Final. Swansea won 2-0.
    Swansea 3-0

W. Bay vs. Azzuri
    - Warners Bay have lost all three of their opening round matches since their promotion in 2017.
    - Azzuri lost their 2020 opening game to Swansea 3-2.
    Azzuri 3-1

Mayfield vs. Cooks Hill
    - There were a total of 12 goals in Mayfield and Cooks Hill’s two games last season.
    - Cooks Hill have won their last 4 opening day fixture matches going back to 2016. A 2-0 loss to Kotara in Zone League One.
    Draw 2-2

Suns vs. Bero
    - Beresfield has lost their last 3 opening round fixtures. Their last opening round win came against Swansea in 2016.
    - Beresfield won only 1 game in the 2020 COVID season. That was against the Suns (4-2).
    - Beresfield could be considered a bit of a bogey team for the Suns. Since Beresfield’s promotion in 2015, Suns have won 5 games while Beresfield have won 6 matches (1 draw).
    Suns 6-0

Dudley vs. Cardiff
    - Dudley have won their last 5 encounters against Cardiff.
    - Cardiff's last win against Dudley came in round 3 of the 2016 season, 8 matches ago.
    - Dudley and Cardiff have played each other in the ZPL on 16 occasions since 2012. Cardiff with 5 wins, 2 draws and Dudley having 9 wins.
    Draw 2-2
    Last edited by Cognitio; 14-04-2021 at 10:56 AM.

How is the home ground of Hexham Azzurri looking is it the old footy ground or is there another one in there

Great to some life injected into the forum! The weekend is almost upon us!

Predictions:
    Swansea 2-2 Kotara; Grand final rematch. I fear that this will come too soon for the young Tigers, but the Swans are unproven without The Walking Stick. Early Swans lead to be cancelled out late in the game. Oh the drama!
    W Bay 0-7 Azzurri; Carpet laid out for the Hexham Hornets. Playing on carpet will suit the Hornets, but it will be a very long 90 minutes for the weak Panthers.
    Mayfield 2-2 Cooks; long ball galore. Tigers will play long ball. Cookers will try to play football but will quickly realise that can’t happen at Mayfield. Ugly.
    Suns 12-1 Bero; Cricket score at the cricket oval. The start of very very long season for poor Bero. Suns won’t show mercy and will humiliate them. Won’t be clean.
    Dudley 4-2 Cardiff; Thistle do me. Match of the round. I’ll be having beers with ForeverRed, throwing insults at the ultimate bogan of ZPL and his Tigers before ForeverFlog mugs me for my beer. A quick reality check for the Tigers awaits, as the Thistles start their season off to a flyer!
    Last edited by Hornigold; 15-04-2021 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Aesthetics

Swansea 3-1 Kotara -- Watched one game of the baby Tigers and I think against the experienced teams they will come unstuck pretty easily
    Warners Bay 2-5 Azzurri -- Azzurri love a good old fashioned goal leak, but they're too dangerous up top
    Mayfield 3-2 Cookers -- Cooks Hill look weaker this year after watching them in a trial against ZL1 Olympic. The Tigers looked decent in their FFA Cup games
    Suns 3-1 Beresfield -- They always underperform against the lower teams in the comp. But Suns at their worst will easily account for a Bero at their best
    Dudley 4-1 Cardiff -- I don't think any team in this comp can handle the combined quality of the Dudley side and the quality of the Dudley crowd sledging at Duggo

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    Please please please come introduce yourself, or are you just key board wander
    I’ll wander down, if I can get away from my keyboard

Round 1 Predictions

Swansea 4-1 Kotara
    Swansea will be too strong for Kotara who were lucky to beat Azzurri in the cup. This will likely be the most boring game of the round.

Warners Bay 2 - 3 Azzurri
    For all the talk of Warners Bay being terrible, don't count them out. Hexham Azzurri missing four first grade players including one of their key players up top. They will continue to leak goals but they will be too strong in attack for the bay especially playing on a decent pitch.

Mayfield 3-2 Cooks Hill
    Early six pointer as far as relegation is concerned. Cooks Hill have had a bit of a mixed pre-season and Mayfield will hit them with long balls all day.

Suns 7-0 Beresfield
    With a few key players out due to suspension, this will be the best chance anyone has of beating the star-studded Suns this year. Rumour has it they're paying Daniel Casciaroli to play for them too. Add that to whatever they're paying the Palozzi boys and you've got a sizeable wage bill. Anything other than a flogging would be an upset.

Dudley 3-1 Cardiff
    My boys the thistles will be coming in strong to this one. We have a good record against the 'diff and will look to continue it tomorrow. Expect a master class against last years champions.

Quote Originally Posted by gtg View Post
    Round 1 Predictions

Suns 7-0 Beresfield
    With a few key players out due to suspension, this will be the best chance anyone has of beating the star-studded Suns this year. Rumour has it they're paying Daniel Casciaroli to play for them too. Add that to whatever they're paying the Palozzi boys and you've got a sizeable wage bill. Anything other than a flogging would be an upset.
    The fact that people still think we pay players or have ever paid a single player is hilarious. It's definitely a massive compliment. I guess that's the whole point though, the forum would be boring if these sorts of comments weren't thrown around, so please do carry on kind sir.

I'm sure as everyone would be, very much looking forward to kicking off the season. A favourable summer has led to just about every pitch being in the best condition in recent memory. Carrodise actually is completely covered in grass. Unfortunately the cricket square in the middle will forever be the nuisance that it is. We are however aiming to play a couple of games over at Myer Park this season which are yet to be confirmed.

Good luck to all this season. Hope its a great year and as injury free as possible!
    It's football, not s***er!!