Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Zone League 2 thread

Yeah playing next Wednesday the 11th, kahiba had something like 15 catchup games to reschedule from their washed out weekend apparently.

Kahibah field is a dust bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage View Post
    Kahibah field is a dust bowl
    As is Stevenson Park.

Quote Originally Posted by riverboy View Post
    A couple of negative things about the multi registered rule.
    I'm pretty sure there is a fee to do it, might be $50. So it's a bit of a money making scam from association really. If it's not there to make money then the association should drop the fee and allow clubs a maximum of multiple registered players from all age. Say maybe 5-6 players.

Im also thinking there used to be a rule where they had to be used by there all age team when any clashes occur? Not very ideal if your multi registering Saturday all age playerd
    Your correct there is a fee, it used to be $50. I'm not sure if it's still that but I'd say so?

The multi registered rule would work well with Friday night all age players, I don't really think the Saturday team players would be available too often to help.

With a few previous points raised, It looks like Minmi will finish first and gain promotion. But what should be noted is there is currently only 9 teams in zone league 1 as Maryland Fletcher pulled out late. There is a good chance the association would promote both Minmi and North's and relegate the team that finish last in Zone League 1. This may lead to 2 teams from zone league 3 pushing up to fill the gaps in zone league 2. Ideally another club would join zone league 3 to make 8 teams in that division, certainly clubs like Maitland Juniors, Maryland Fletcher, Raymond Terrace or Tenambit could come back?

I guess the big issue facing zone league 2 and 3 clubs is player availability. It appears many clubs have struggled to field 2 fresh teams consistently. I'm not sure how this can be solved, but obviously the more players stepping up full time from all age football could certainly help this. The goal would probably be having most clubs having 32 players on their books.

I guess the remainder of 2021 is still up in the air. Let's just hope the finals can be played, Big question mark over football being played before then especially considering cases have been in the region and the 14 day period people need to self isolate or can return a positive test. With that in mind, You wouldn't think next week will go ahead either.

Quote Originally Posted by anfield View Post
    Your correct there is a fee, it used to be $50. I'm not sure if it's still that but I'd say so?

The multi registered rule would work well with Friday night all age players, I don't really think the Saturday team players would be available too often to help.

With a few previous points raised, It looks like Minmi will finish first and gain promotion. But what should be noted is there is currently only 9 teams in zone league 1 as Maryland Fletcher pulled out late. There is a good chance the association would promote both Minmi and North's and relegate the team that finish last in Zone League 1. This may lead to 2 teams from zone league 3 pushing up to fill the gaps in zone league 2. Ideally another club would join zone league 3 to make 8 teams in that division, certainly clubs like Maitland Juniors, Maryland Fletcher, Raymond Terrace or Tenambit could come back?

I guess the big issue facing zone league 2 and 3 clubs is player availability. It appears many clubs have struggled to field 2 fresh teams consistently. I'm not sure how this can be solved, but obviously the more players stepping up full time from all age football could certainly help this. The goal would probably be having most clubs having 32 players on their books.

I guess the remainder of 2021 is still up in the air. Let's just hope the finals can be played, Big question mark over football being played before then especially considering cases have been in the region and the 14 day period people need to self isolate or can return a positive test. With that in mind, You wouldn't think next week will go ahead either.
    Singleton coming down from NewFM might push 2 ZPL teams down to ZL1. Thus making it two 10 team competitions and two 8 team competitions. I don't think second place getting promoted is acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer7654 View Post
    Singleton coming down from NewFM might push 2 ZPL teams down to ZL1. Thus making it two 10 team competitions and two 8 team competitions. I don't think second place getting promoted is acceptable.
    I heard Singleton were being allowed to stay up

Quote Originally Posted by Homer7654 View Post
    There's no way they could drop Singleton given they are running 4th plus are the defending champions. I'm hearing Toronto are much more likely?

Plus there has been alot of clubs that have been promoted in recent years that didn't finish first so they will do it again if required. How are they supposed to fill the gaps otherwise? Greta (2nd), New Lambton (3rd) Mayfield Juniors (3rd) and Kahibah (2nd) are all examples of teams promoted from zone league 3 into zl2 in the last 5-6 years.

Singo apparently dropping out of new fm & also one other team.
    Question, can minmi or north’s field 3 sides in ZL1? You’d want to have around 40+ players on your books plus all age players to fill in

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage View Post
    Singo apparently dropping out of new fm & also one other team.
    Question, can minmi or north’s field 3 sides in ZL1? You’d want to have around 40+ players on your books plus all age players to fill in
    With so many ZL divisions it might be time to drop 3rds. The "heart n soul of the club can play AA fri night and still fill in on the field, drink and cook the bbq
    Quote Originally Posted by Newysports2.0 View Post
    The name is obviously a pisstake if you can’t tell
    Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post
    the pisstake is on, who would call themselves after a pedo.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    With so many ZL divisions it might be time to drop 3rds. The "heart n soul of the club can play AA fri night and still fill in on the field, drink and cook the bbq
    If you drop 3rds they aren’t playing one night then coming back down the next. The reason it works is they are at the game already after playing and they feel part of the club. I think you would lose them on game days hard to tell the wife and kids your out friday all night then Sat or Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hacker View Post
    If you drop 3rds they aren’t playing one night then coming back down the next. The reason it works is they are at the game already after playing and they feel part of the club. I think you would lose them on game days hard to tell the wife and kids your out friday all night then Sat or Sunday.
    I agree, I think the point is that clubs want to grow their player pool. Also ZPL is 3 grades, I think the main point of having 3 grades in ZL1 is to prepare them for ZPL if they get promoted. I think all zone league clubs should be helping to grow the competition and encourage more players to move across from all age football.

All age is a decent competition, but every team really are just that an individual team that can come and go each year.

This may be an unpopular opinion but I feel the joint Zone Committee should do away with Zone League B sides.
    The likes of Wallsend, Cooks Hill, Newcastle Olympic, New Lambton ect should be dropped from the Zone Leagues, those clubs already have their grade sides. If those players from said clubs want to play Zone League they will have plenty of options with the numerous other Zone Leage Clubs. If those players from said clubs want to stay with their Clubs then they can field teams in All Age.

Just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    This may be an unpopular opinion but I feel the joint Zone Committee should do away with Zone League B sides.
    The likes of Wallsend, Cooks Hill, Newcastle Olympic, New Lambton ect should be dropped from the Zone Leagues, those clubs already have their grade sides. If those players from said clubs want to play Zone League they will have plenty of options with the numerous other Zone Leage Clubs. If those players from said clubs want to stay with their Clubs then they can field teams in All Age.

Just my opinion.
    Only way you can get Suburbs back up the leagues haha
    Clubs that have great cultures attract players
    Sounds like sour grapes to me

Quote Originally Posted by Swanky View Post
    Only way you can get Suburbs back up the leagues haha
    Clubs that have great cultures attract players
    Sounds like sour grapes to me
    No sour grapes, just my opinion.

We got hit pretty hard by COVID and a large amount of our ageing squad moving onto All Age.
    Many of the guys that moved onto All Age were approached by various Zone League Clubs, however they stayed with us. You would have to ask all of those guy's why they chose to stay with us but it might have something to do with "Great Culture".

We're doing alright and we have a long term plan in place to move our way back up the league's. Maybe you should worry more about cooking the BBQ for the NPL boy's at Darling St rather than what we're doing.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

No sour grapes, just my opinion.

We got hit pretty hard by COVID and a large amount of our ageing squad moving onto All Age.
    Many of the guys that moved onto All Age were approached by various Zone League Clubs, however they stayed with us. You would have to ask all of those guy's why they chose to stay with us but it might have something to do with "Great Culture".

We're doing alright and we have a long term plan in place to move our way back up the league's. Maybe you should worry more about cooking the BBQ for the NPL boy's at Darling St rather than what we're doing.
    Suburbs probably has a good culture, But remember all those clubs you listed started lower zone league squads from players already in there grade sides.
    And the reason these players stayed with their club and dropped down was probably down to the culture of their club.

So in your theory a decent player from Wallsend or New Lambton Northern League one that is surplus to their squad would only have the option of all age if they want to stay with their club? That theory just penalises successful clubs.

So in your theory a decent player from Wallsend or New Lambton Northern League one that is surplus to their squad would only have the option of all age if they want to stay with their club? That theory just penalises successful clubs.
    Yes, pretty certain that's what I said.

A decent player that's surplus to Newcastle Jets doesn't go and play for Newcastle Jets B do they?
    Again I know that my opinion will be unpopular to some, I just don't see the point in Club's having a B team.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Yes, pretty certain that's what I said.

A decent player that's surplus to Newcastle Jets doesn't go and play for Newcastle Jets B do they?
    Again I know that my opinion will be unpopular to some, I just don't see the point in Club's having a B team.
    Barcelona B have recently been in the Spanish 2nd division.

I'm sure your opinion would be entirely different different if you were at one of those mentioned clubs?

Barcelona B have recently been in the Spanish 2nd division.

I'm sure your opinion would be entirely different different if you were at one of those mentioned clubs?
    Yeah and isn't it ridiculous that if Barcelona B won the Segunda División they are ineligible for promotion.

I can assure you that my opinion would stay the same, I would have no interest in playing for a Club's B side
    I'M GULLIBLE!

I agree with you premy. All the talk in all the threads is about the natural relegation and promotion process. A yet we have so many teams in the set up that have a cap on where they can go. Some from what I understand can only go to ZL1 due to their A team being in northern league 1. It don’t help the system.

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    I agree with you premy. All the talk in all the threads is about the natural relegation and promotion process. A yet we have so many teams in the set up that have a cap on where they can go. Some from what I understand can only go to ZL1 due to their A team being in northern league 1. It don’t help the system.
    That was always the weird 'rule' that wasn't really a rule. It was always said but I'm not sure it was ever really tested before. Cookers were promoted to ZPL and played in it whilst still in NL1 this year, so the precedent has probably been set that it can happen.

And personally I am of the view that if you club has the culture and numbers then having a 'B side' can help people stay within the club they love and at a level that they enjoy. AA isn't for everyone. In the case of New Lambton (where I play) we handed the reigns from ZPL to NL1 5 years ago and we dropped down to ZL2. We had a heap of players that dropped those 2 divisions with us, but definitely wouldn't have if we dropped to AA. Obviously mine is a biased opinion, but I reckon their was value in that occurring for the club, and for us as a group.