Thread: what is the largest football club in NNSW?

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar

what is the largest football club in NNSW?

does anyone know which club is the largest?

I'm thinking in terms of player numbers, both senior and junior

Cooks Hill had a total of 660 players this year, 160 of which are senior blokes (no chicks this season unfortunately)

can any other club committee members get their figures?

Haven't got exact figures but just a few years ago I remember that Valentine had the most juniors in Macquarie and Lambton Jafffas had the most in the Newcastle zone. Jaffas had to actually turn kids away 3 or 4 years back as they just couldn't handle the massive numbers.

660 would have to be hard to beat

Valo would be closest i would think

I'm pretty sure Valo, New Lambton, Maitland and Warners Bay are bigger than us

but I would like to know for sure - one of the reasons is that we're putting grant applications in to various government bodies and being able to say we're the third largest club of any sport in Newcastle local government area should hold a bit of weight

especially given how crap our facilities are at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    I'm pretty sure Valo, New Lambton, Maitland and Warners Bay are bigger than us

but I would like to know for sure - one of the reasons is that we're putting grant applications in to various government bodies and being able to say we're the third largest club of any sport in Newcastle local government area should hold a bit of weight

especially given how crap our facilities are at the moment
    good luck, the new clubhouse at toronto juniors is something special through grants i think.

Valo had just over a thousand players registered in 2012 - that includes everybody, I think we've been the biggest club in nnsw for the last 5 years or so???

that's incredible, well done Valo

our stated aim is to get to 1,000 - though I think we'll have to have a restructure to cope with those sort of numbers

I'm not sure whether the move towards larger clubs is a good thing - it obviously helps with things like getting grants for facilities and the like but there's something good about having a club in every suburb

I can understand why people are moving towards bigger clubs though, they tend to be better run - for example my brother's son plays at Valo now after moving from another, smaller club which I won't name - basically my brother had tried to sponsor his son's team but they never returned calls, the draw for games was never emailed, emails were never replied to, the whole place was run poorly - now my nephew plays at Valo and they're all happy, everything is being run professionally

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    that's incredible, well done Valo

our stated aim is to get to 1,000 - though I think we'll have to have a restructure to cope with those sort of numbers

I'm not sure whether the move towards larger clubs is a good thing - it obviously helps with things like getting grants for facilities and the like but there's something good about having a club in every suburb

I can understand why people are moving towards bigger clubs though, they tend to be better run - for example my brother's son plays at Valo now after moving from another, smaller club which I won't name - basically my brother had tried to sponsor his son's team but they never returned calls, the draw for games was never emailed, emails were never replied to, the whole place was run poorly - now my nephew plays at Valo and they're all happy, everything is being run professionally
    its good that some clubs cater for all ages and abilities, theres a few who dont

lol tell him if he wants to talk to me about team sponsorship - I promise to return his call

Offtrack a little, but a huge congratulations to....

Toronto Awaba Junior Football Club for winning Macquarie Zone Club of the year 2012

Currently the largest football club in our region is New Lambton. I know Edgeworth Juniors had a large jump in numbers in 2020 after accepting a few hundred kids from other clubs that didn’t proceed with juniors after Covid cancellations. Warners Bay I believe also now has a big number whereas Valentine is not as big as it used to be after losing many with the Covid example I just gave. Interested to know which other clubs have increased numbers in recent years?